• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
D&D Dark Alliance drops in a just under 2 days, Day 1 GP release. Pre-loading now and looking forward to trying it out. From the official Xbox/Tuque press release it sounds like it's crossplay PC+Series S|X+Xbox One.

I really tend to favor co-op these days, and there's so many co-op games coming to GP Day 1: Dark Alliance, The Ascent, The Anacrusis, Back 4 Blood. Hell, even FS2020, FH5, and Halo Infinite have co-op. The best part is GP provides plenty of people to play with. We all get to be excited and play on release without having to worry about blowing hundreds on a few games. Rest of the year is going to be awesome!
RgKVQFE.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
I tried dark alliance and vault breakers the last week.

Dark alliance looks like it has potential. Beta has low take up so not getting in Region match making that is lag free. Looks like it could be a decent game but you have to play for 10 or so hours to unlock a decent set of moves and loot. Also attribute points, feat points and currency feels a little overly complex.

Vault breaks is a bit like alienation of it was a rogue like. That also looks half decent.

I’m debating if I should get a series x or a series s. I signed up for game pass ultimate and I have a ps5 for 4K Blu-ray’s. My current tv is 1080p until I set up my 4K set. What are the main differences between the two models as far as backwards compatibility, frame rate and resolution goes?

WoodyStare

I’m debating if I should get a series x or a series s. I signed up for game pass ultimate and I have a ps5 for 4K Blu-ray’s. My current tv is 1080p until I set up my 4K set. What are the main differences between the two models as far as backwards compatibility, frame rate and resolution goes?
If you can afford it, go for the Series X, no question. The Series S is still solid but in terms of differences with resolution/backwards compatibility, it makes more sense to pay the extra for the X. Can’t go wrong with either tbh, just also be aware of the 512GB SSD on the S which will run out very quickly.

I’m debating if I want the DE of the PS5 because I use my Series X for the 4K Blu-ray’s.

Last edited:

Gerdav

If you can afford it, go for the Series X, no question. The Series S is still solid but in terms of differences with resolution/backwards compatibility, it makes more sense to pay the extra for the X. Can’t go wrong with either tbh, just also be aware of the 512GB SSD on the S which will run out very quickly.

I’m debating if I want the DE of the PS5 because I use my Series X for the 4K Blu-ray’s.

Agree with you regarding getting a Series X over a S if possible, but for what it’s worth about your PS5 purchase, I have both and the PS5 is actually the far superior 4K blu-ray player to the point I will actively turn my Series X off and switch inputs to watch a disc.

WoodyStare

Agree with you regarding getting a Series X over a S if possible, but for what it’s worth about your PS5 purchase, I have both and the PS5 is actually the far superior 4K blu-ray player to the point I will actively turn my Series X off and switch inputs to watch a disc.
Huh interesting I wasn’t aware of this, thank you for bringing this up. I was already reluctant giving up the ability to use discs (I rarely buy physical games), but this may have pushed me to spend the extra just in case. Doesnt hurt to have a have a backup 4K player.

Last edited:

Gerdav

Huh interesting I wasn’t aware of this, thank you for bringing this up. I was already reluctant giving up the ability to use discs (I rarely buy games physical), but this may have pushed me to spend the extra just in case. Doesnt hurt to have a have a backup 4K player.

There is a few reviews that back it up too, but I had both at launch and I was noticeable with my own experiences, while the X gets 80% of game time I don’t even think about it as a 4K disk player.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
XSS is generally 1080p to XSX's 4K, or 1/4 res. It really shines as a secondary console, a console for kids and teens, and for it's BC and emulation capabilities.

I'm a primary GP PC player, so having a XSX is redundant to my playing habits. XSS is a perfect little box to round out GP Ultimate's PC+Console+Cloud support. $300 for the console, then do the GP conversion deal. Best budget deal in gaming, especially in times like these where GameStop is selling used One S units for $279.

But yeah, if budget isn't an issue and you don't already have a decent PC for GP, then go with the XSX so you can experience peak Xbox quality.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I thought the series s can do 1440p? Is that not the case for BC and or newer releases?
The XSS GPU is just powerful enough to run 1/4 resolution of whatever the XSX is running. With Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite, you'll get 4K on XSX and 1080p on XSS in both Quality and Performance modes. Watch Dogs Legion XSX RT mode targets 4K with dynamic res, while XSS RT mode targets 1080p.

Of course there are exceptions. For the upcoming DOOM Eternal patch XSX is 1800p/120fps Performance, 4K/60fps Balanced, and 1800p/60fps RT. XSS is 1080p/120fps Performance, 1440p/60fps Balanced, and no RT mode.

XSS is more of a 1080p console than a 1440p console.

Last edited:
I managed to snag a series s on Amazon today. Pretty stoked to own an Xbox for the first time since the 360. Also signed for 3 months of gp ultimate for a dollar which is sweet. I figure even I decide get an xsx later on I could probably get most or all of the money back. Didn’t hurt that I paid for it all with Amazon credit.

Here’s another question: I have a decent specced pc upstairs in my office. Is it possible to use the series s as a streaming portal and run games on the pc? It has a 2080 and a wired Ethernet.

elliot5

Here’s another question: I have a decent specced pc upstairs in my office. Is it possible to use the series s as a streaming portal and run games on the pc? It has a 2080 and a wired Ethernet.
Currently there is not a companion app to let you remotely connect to an Xbox Series console on PC. There was a beta hidden app a while back, but I think it was taken down. There is one for Xbox One devices right now. A bit of a workaround is to use an Android emulator like Bluestacks and use the Xbox android app to remotely connect to the Xbox console. Dunno how efficient that is though.

You can stream devices via Game Pass through the browser on PC with Game Pass Ultimate though.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

IMG-20210624-111501-155.jpg

It happened. I've taken a small step into next-gen. :messenger_beaming:

Guy at Target said this is the biggest shipment of the XSS so far, said they got two pallets, so not sure how many systems that is (boxes are small though). Might be worth hitting up your local target if you are interested in picking one of these up.

Last edited:

Roberts

Wanted to play the first Psychonauts before the sequel drops on GP. I played it way back when it came out (on PC, I think), liked it, but never got really far. But this time I around I finished the whole thing. Despite the 4K upscale, the graphics are bit dated and 30fps took a while to get used to. And Tim Schaffer, while being a god-tier storyteller, always finds a way to frustrate you with some tiny game design element (For example, the difficulty spike in the last area is huge and takes time to master]. Controls and camera are not always exactly stellar. And despite that, I think the game is one undeniable masterpiece. I had such a blast with it - the humour, the storytelling and so much wonderful variety. The game never repeats itself and yet every varied gameplay mechanic perfectly complements each other. Also, the sequel is a direct continuation of the first game, so if you haven’t played Psychonauts, give it a go.

Last edited by a moderator:

elliot5

Wanted to play the first Psychonauts before the sequel drops on GP. I played it way back when it came out (on PC, I think), liked it, but never got really far. But this time I around I finished the whole thing. Despite the 4K upscale, the graphics are bit dated and 30fps took a while to get used to. And Tim Schaffer, while being a god-tier storyteller, always finds a way to frustrate you with some tiny game design element (For example, the difficulty spike in the last area is huge and takes time to master]. Controls and camera are not always exactly stellar. And despite that, I think the game is one undeniable masterpiece. I had such a blast with it - the humour, the storytelling and so much wonderful variety. The game never repeats itself and yet every varied gameplay mechanic perfectly complements each other. Also, the sequel is a direct continuation of the first game, so if you haven’t played Psychonauts, give it a go.
Yup it's great. I would definitely recommend it on PC with a controller though because of the widescreen fixes and with higher FPS, making the controls easier. I also think the Meat Circus isn't as ridiculous on PC bc it was nerfed a bit, but I haven't tried the OG Xbox version on Game Pass.

silentstorm

Haven't played it but Tim Schafer tends to be involved in quirky games that have undeniable charm to them, at least the better games he was involved in, Day Of The Tentacle(which is basically an old Looney Toons cartoon as a game), Grim Fandango and Full Throttle are much the same way.

Like, Full Throttle has abysmal combat in some parts and Grim Fandango has some terrible puzzles and parts...but the writing, look and art design make the games have enough charm you don't notice as much and i can recommend them...just play Grim Fandango with a walkthrough, just think of it this way, there aren't many other games that are a noir story where you play as a skeleton grim reaper in a world based on the Dia De Los Muertos and get involved in conspiracies that involve bad people stealing tickets to heaven from good souls.

On an unrelated note, does Xbox usually have Summer sales, just curious because Steam has a Summer sale.

DaGwaphics

Anyone have issue with the console rewards app after moving to a new console? I've tried reinstalling from the store, I even factory reset the console, but no dice the app either hangs and crashes back to the dashboard or throws error 8027025A which is generic AF. No issues with accessing the store or content.

baby crying GIF

I'm gonna lose my 22 week streak, I'd been trying to be more consistent. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

elliot5

Haven't played it but Tim Schafer tends to be involved in quirky games that have undeniable charm to them, at least the better games he was involved in, Day Of The Tentacle(which is basically an old Looney Toons cartoon as a game), Grim Fandango and Full Throttle are much the same way.

Like, Full Throttle has abysmal combat in some parts and Grim Fandango has some terrible puzzles and parts...but the writing, look and art design make the games have enough charm you don't notice as much and i can recommend them...just play Grim Fandango with a walkthrough, just think of it this way, there aren't many other games that are a noir story where you play as a skeleton grim reaper in a world based on the Dia De Los Muertos and get involved in conspiracies that involve bad people stealing tickets to heaven from good souls.

On an unrelated note, does Xbox usually have Summer sales, just curious because Steam has a Summer sale.
They just recently had a large E3 sale, so idk if there will be another big one soon.

elliot5

Anyone have issue with the console rewards app after moving to a new console? I've tried reinstalling from the store, I even factory reset the console, but no dice the app either hangs and crashes back to the dashboard or throws error 8027025A which is generic AF. No issues with accessing the store or content.

baby crying GIF

I'm gonna lose my 22 week streak, I'd been trying to be more consistent. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Rewards been busted since yesterday unfortunately. It doesn't even seem like MS is aware of it??

Bridges

Rewards been busted since yesterday unfortunately. It doesn't even seem like MS is aware of it??
Same, it was working partway through the day for me, then after I earned my achievement I couldn't even open it. Pretty frustrating, hope they fix it soon.

Roberts

Yup it's great. I would definitely recommend it on PC with a controller though because of the widescreen fixes and with higher FPS, making the controls easier. I also think the Meat Circus isn't as ridiculous on PC bc it was nerfed a bit, but I haven't tried the OG Xbox version on Game Pass.
I’ve switched to Apple around 2011 for work related reasons so that wasn’t an option for me, but, yeah, a higher frame rate could definitely help in Meat Circus. Other than that, the game is relatively easy. From what I have seen from the sequel, it seems to be focusing on platforming more which is totally fine by me as long as the game maintains the same level of weirdness and substance.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Same, it was working partway through the day for me, then after I earned my achievement I couldn't even open it. Pretty frustrating, hope they fix it soon.
Same thing happened about a month ago iirc. It was fixed the next day. Fingers crossed.

silentstorm

Seems that last year, Xbox Summer Sale was on August...i just don't want to think the E3 sale was the summer sale and that i missed it.

reksveks

I got to meat circus a couple of days ago (kept getting stuck at the bit with needing the knives in the rotating wheels and then having to jump off) and ended up giving up which is sad cause I was really enjoying it. I ended up watching the ending on YouTube.

Gerdav

Random Thought: How did I use a console without Quick Resume. Such an impressive feature. #GreatConsolesHaveQR

I said it a week after launch it’s the best feature of next gen period, the fact it’s still not been enabled on Mass Effect Legendery a month after launch is driving me round the bend.

reksveks

I said it a week after launch it’s the best feature of next gen period, the fact it’s still not been enabled on Mass Effect Legendery a month after launch is driving me round the bend.
It's a weird thing but the games that don't have it become a bit more painful. Psychonauts didn't have it so I ended up just playing that one game until I finished it.

brender

Neo Member
AUTO HDR - Xbox Series S and X Tested and Detailed, Does Anything Change?

According to this developer's technical analysis, which uses its own AIDA (Artificial Intelligence Detailed Analysis):

Pixel to Pixel in the image is analyzed
Three games were tested

Highly colored images, color and white images, as well as black and white images, display light sources and levels

UmM9W6q.jpeg

Pixel to Pixel in the image is analyzed

f2EfiLq.jpeg

Total repeat colors and single colors per scene = Total de cores repetidas e únicas por cena
One bar every 50 unique colors = Uma barra a cada 50 cores únicas

BnoGeEu.jpeg

GdyV2E7.jpeg

3Tb9QRa.jpeg

bv5ppAd.jpeg

j3bNP9p.jpeg

DzkFtN0.jpeg

SwXWaLX.jpeg

brender

Neo Member
confused good burger GIF

@ B brender are the results posted above good/bad/indifferent? Gonna need the laymen's recap on that.

Also according to the guy in the video:

The question here is how many nits your TV has for HDR
The more nits your TV has, the greater your perception will be

If your TV doesn't have these features, you won't feel a difference

Roberts

I got to meat circus a couple of days ago (kept getting stuck at the bit with needing the knives in the rotating wheels and then having to jump off) and ended up giving up which is sad cause I was really enjoying it. I ended up watching the ending on YouTube.
There are actually two rotating wheels - the other is a bit higher. I guess it is too late too give you a tip, but the trick for me was to jump sideways when he throws the knife (he signals the throw so it is easy to react to it). Then patiently wait as the knife makes a full circle.

Top Bottom