• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox passed on deal to make Marvel games to focus on their own IP - Head of Marvel Games

To all the people who are saying "Xbox didn't have the first-party resources" or "They didn't have a lot of studios" or "All first-party studios were busy with first-party games", I only have one question for them:

What was stopping Xbox to deal with Marvel and outsource that game to Insomniac or another third-party studio? Insomniac was even developing Sunset Overdrive in 2014, when Marvel approached Xbox.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
what caused those crash was mostly mismanagement, that type of crash won't happen today, the industry have learned what and what not to do. But Ed believes how we purchase our games would cause a crash that would eliminate many pubs if we went to full sub model.
Yeah I understand but I wanted to see the comparison with music and movies to see how fragile the video game industry is.

Zeroing

Banned
To all the people who are saying "Xbox didn't have the first-party resources" or "They didn't have a lot of studios" or "All first-party studios were busy with first-party games", I only have one question for them:

What was stopping Xbox to deal with Marvel and outsource that game to Insomniac or another third-party studio? Insomniac was even developing Sunset Overdrive in 2014, when Marvel approached Xbox.
MS did in fact had studios at that time frame and they closed them! You can look it up!

Yeah I understand but I wanted to see the comparison with music and movies to see how fragile the video game industry is.
Nintendo with WiiU, Microsoft with XboxOne, and Sony with PS3 all have one thing in common; had their succesor failed, there would be no more game consoles for that company. If that isn't fragility, what is?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Nintendo with WiiU, Microsoft with XboxOne, and Sony with PS3 all have one thing in common; had their succesor failed, there would be no more game consoles for that company. If that isn't fragility, what is?
I know this industry is but I don't know how fragile music&movie is.I think it would be a great comparison.

DarkMage619

Name another title where MS paid for an IP they didn't own in addition to contracting out development on that IP in 2014 when this all happened. All under Myerson who was very conservative with how Xbox spent money. This was not a complete Spider-Man game being shopped around it was just some Marvel IP. The Xbox of today is not the Xbox of 2014. Sony and Insomniac were really the only way this was going down. Congrats to Sony for having all the components ready to go.

You maybe correct but it is still a murky area. It could of caused a lawsuit. Better to steer clear and do a different property.
Ultimately they chose neither.

It's not a murky area. It's pretty clear cut.

What the dude told you is correct. Once this licensing agreement with Sony expires Marvel could go to Microsoft and have an exclusive Spider-Man game with them, including a remake of the PS4 one. No that I think it'll happen, but legally they could.

You mean Insomniacs Spider-Man?

Yes they do.

But not the Spider-Man IP.

No they don't. Not completely anyways. Sony owns the code, the library, and game assets for Insomniac's Spider-Man. Everything else, including the story, character, etc is owned by Marvel.

That's how copyright for licensed games work. The licensor owns the characters, stories, etc and the developer owns the code and game assets.

Top Bottom