• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Play Anywhere |OT| - Have you found Phil's Loophole?

RoKKeR

Nice OT, this initiative has me considering swapping out my Macbook for a gaming laptop sometime next year when Pascal makes it's way into a Razer Blade or a Dell XPS-like laptop. Being able to throw a bluetooth controller in my backpack and accessing these titles (many of which I'm really looking forward to) with everything carried over from the Xbox version... pretty great incentive for me personally.

Hopefully they nail the ports from here on out. Forza Apex seems like it's a good sign.

idk if this is new thread worthy or not...and I dont even know if its new news. It seems that blog post about play anywhere has been stealth edited for the part about all microsoft published future titles being play anywhere.

Now it reads: "Every new title published from Microsoft Studios that we showed onstage at E3 this year will support Xbox Play Anywhere and will be easily accessible in the Windows store."

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ows-10-anniversary-update-available-august-2/

This is what it showed before

BjxaZEa.png

Heard about this from The Red Dragon on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_A6sBeTeXk

SOR5

idk if this is new thread worthy or not...and I dont even know if its new news. It seems that blog post about play anywhere has been stealth edited for the part about all microsoft published future titles being play anywhere.

A lengthy thread on this is definitely kicking around somewhere

SOR5

oh ok, I missed it then. Only saw ones that were about the initial news when they said it was all future published titles when I searched

Oh wait damn, yeah that is a bit different sorry about that, maybe they dont want to make a guarantee that any and all will be Win10/Xbox in the future, I would make a new thread on this.

Gowans

I've popped it in the links in the OP.

It makes sense, why would you create an exception to this now, even for Halo, it goes against the decision and way they have decided to approach gaming on MS platforms.

SOR5

It makes sense, why would you create an exception to this now, even for Halo, it goes against the decision and way they have decided to approach gaming on MS platforms.

I do see alot being shared, even Halo. But I do understand why they would want to stealth edit because they effectively said that every title is guaranteed to come out on both, when that might not be the case.

RoKKeR

So, has MS walked back the whole "all MS published games will be Play Anywhere" comment? It seems they may have:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/07/microsoft-appears-to-roll-back-on-its-xbox-play-anywhere-pledge
VideoGamer's David Scammell points out that Microsoft's statement - which originally read "every new title published from Microsoft Studios will support Xbox Play Anywhere" - has now been altered to read "every new title published from Microsoft Studios that we showed onstage at E3 this year will support Xbox Play Anywhere".

Hmm.

Gowans

I guess it would be to cover things like Dead Rising 4, where it's a partnership and coming to Win 10 & Steam and it's not Play Anywhere.

It really stood out to me when finding out.

Phil already responded and said there was no change in bringing franchises over. It's just security in case they create a niche title like maybe a moba or maybe even mobile only game and everyone gets on their case crying about how they said everything would be everywhere.

Metzhara

How else would they do it?.

There are actual ways but I don't believe they'd be cheap.
1. Have Blu-ray drives recognize the disc itself. It doesn't need to run it, but it could easily identify it by service numbers on disc. As long as you had the disc with you, much like other Xboxes, it would allow use of the content. Not the most convenient, but does the job.
CON: You have to have the disc at all times. People would likely complain about the "inconvenience."
2. Discs have an exclusive barcode/qrcode that is registered when you first enter them. These are 1 time use codes that immediately bind to your gamertag.
CON: You could circumvent this and play only on PC. Likely would make reselling an even bigger issue. You have to rely on the trustworthiness of the gaming public and, wel if you've seen any thread here about how quickly people swoop in for pricing errors and you have to admit, it's not likely. Reselling under this system is likely to take a large cut since it would only be 50 percent of a product every time and some sucker gets the game free when bought new (so why buy used?)
3. The original Xbox service announced for the One would allow for this solution without much of an issue. As before, every game you own is your own and you can lend it out ad nauseum to "friends and family" or whatever they called the plan. With this, you'd buy it physically, it registers as yours, but you couldn't resell it unless they activate that service they discussed long ago when people were first upset about this shift.
CON: You do lose your digital rights and control of the content is in the hands of Microsoft. People are cool with this process for Steam but I for one am not a fan of loss of ownership (which is why I'm a GOG man.)

I'm more for option 1. Obviously regardless of what's going on, it will almost certainly lock you out if you try to play the game on two consoles (PC and XBO simultaneously). This is reasonable to me. Until physical items get RFID chipped or some other method to digitize them at the same time, we're not likely to see physical cross buy any time soon.
This generation has me sadface. As a collector of consoles and games (which I play) I find that the future of this generation seems empty as when services do finally die... how do you patch them to playable when many games today aren't even completely on the disc at all or are just shells of their initial startups? Crazy.

GHG

Gold Member
So will there not be a physical (as in disk) versions of play anywhere titles moving forwards?

SOR5

So will there not be a physical (as in disk) versions of play anywhere titles moving forwards?

Dont think so because theres too many ways to dupe businesses, if I bought Gears 4 for XB1 and it came with a packaged code, I could return Gears, keep the code and ive just got the W10 version for free.

SOR5

So they will allow developers to create codes that can be sold at other retailers?

That's great!

Amazons on board, which is already a big start, it also tackles one criticism of the W10 store being unfavourably skewered to benefit Microsoft, it doesnt tackle all the criticisms, but definitely one.

Luckydog

Not sure about that. Forza Horizon 3 is a Play Anywhere title and Amazon has a listing for a physical copy here

EDIT: to be clear, I think they are selling the physical game, but I doubt you get the play anywhere ability if you buy physical.

RPGam3r

Because people could just buy a retail copy, register the code on PC, and sell the retail copy immediately and basically get the game for nothing. Likewise, they could just sell the code to someone else.

Movie industry has been doing this for years.

jdmonmou

Phil already responded and said there was no change in bringing franchises over. It's just security in case they create a niche title like maybe a moba or maybe even mobile only game and everyone gets on their case crying about how they said everything would be everywhere.
mzXSHC0.jpg

I'm still skeptical. "Unique games not right for all devices" seems to go contrary to their unified windows platform strategy which would enable developers to create a single app package that can be installed on a wide range of devices. Just because a game is a moba or a mobile game doesn't mean it shouldn't also work on an Xbox.

SOR5

I'm still skeptical. "Unique games not right for all devices" seems to go contrary to their unified windows platform strategy which would enable developers to create a single app package that can be installed on a wide range of devices. Just because a game is a moba or a mobile game doesn't mean it shouldn't also work on an Xbox.

Because a game is a MOBA a developer might not see it as being fit for an Xbox, its up to them. I mean sure it'll run, but whether it will play well is up to their discretion.

Luckydog

Physical xbox one copies do not give you a windows 10 copy as well

I had edited my post earlier. I guess it is how you read the question. I read it as "Will there be a physical release of the game". Yes there will be. If the question is "Will there be a physical release of a game and do you get a second digital copy of the game", i dont think it is clear but I highly doubt it. MS has already shown their hand with games like Quantum Break. Buy digital, and get it in both places.

Synth

Between a PC and an Xbox.

It's works between PC and PC too. my nephew uses my store login to play Minecraft Win10 with me.

Does this work for Xbox? Is this essentially the family sharing stuff?

It doesn't work with Xbox, no. It's also technically better than the originally proposed family sharing, as you're not actually restricted to only 2 simultaneous uses.

I'd honestly expect to see some changes made to how it works if the Windows Store takes off, because right now it is kinda abusable. But yea, despite all the claims of "lol, they'd never let you do this"... they actually let you do this on the platform that did remain digitally focused.

jdmonmou

Because a game is a MOBA a developer might not see it as being fit for an Xbox, its up to them. I mean sure it'll run, but whether it will play well is up to their discretion.
But the MOBA example doesn't make sense because the Xbox will be getting keyboard and mouse support in the future. Also, it wouldn't make sense for a developer to choose not to release their title on a specific Microsoft platform because they would lose out on sales.

It's more than likely MS edited the statement to have leeway for timed exclusives on the Scorpio. They have to do something to motivate people to buy the Scorpio next year. Whatever the case, I think it's a sure bet that what Microsoft said about Play Anywhere at E3 will not be what actually happens. People will be disappointed.

Synth

But the MOBA example doesn't make sense because the Xbox will be getting keyboard and mouse support in the future. Also, it wouldn't make sense for a developer to choose not to release their title on a specific Microsoft platform because they would lose out on sales.

The Xbox will be getting kb+m support, but I don't think you could release a game that actually requires it. You'd always have to make the game also playable with a joypad I'd imagine

Strider

It's more than likely MS edited the statement to have leeway for timed exclusives on the Scorpio.

I think this is incredibly unlikely tbh.

The modified statement regarding Play Anywhere titles is probably more so about covering their tracks for games like Inside. Inside is published by MS but developed by an outside studio... It's console exclusive to the XB1 but it's not on the W10 store and is on other other PC platforms like Steam instead.

There will probably be similar situations like that in the future and in the event there is MS is covered now.

It's works between PC and PC too. my nephew uses my store login to play Minecraft Win10 with me.

Huh. I've tried with Killer Instinct, and it didn't work, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Minecraft isn't a Play Anywhere title. Think that matters?

When I log in to my MS account using the second PC, it requests permission to kick me out of the first device.

Synth

Huh. I've tried with Killer Instinct, and it didn't work, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Minecraft isn't a Play Anywhere title. Think that matters?

When I log in to my MS account using the second PC, it requests permission to kick me out of the first device.

Hmm.. I've never tried Killer Instinct. I could see that being different, as the way the crossbuy is implemented on PC doesn't really match up with how it works on XB1. The PC game is a f2p release by default, and then the characters you own on Xbox are given to you when you play the game under the same Live account. It doesn't treat the Season Pass 1 as standard DLC in the way it did on Xbox. This kinda also happens with other account-bound items you can get in games, such as VIP status in Forza, or characters in Fable Legends (when it existed), etc. These purchases are always locked to the owners account because they're technically not a part of the game itself.

Killer Instinct on Win10 may function differently if the seasons were purchased via the Windows 10 store, rather than being inherited from the Live login.

EDIT: When you say log into your MS account on the second PC. You're talking about the Windows Store only, right? You should still be playing the game with different Xbox Live accounts.

RoKKeR

Nice to see that Amazon will sell them, might mean we might see more aggressive discounting.
So far they haven't discounted digital download codes at the same level of physical games, hopefully that changes though. Really sucks that you can't pre order digital codes from them for the 20% discount.

Hmm.. [...]

EDIT: When you say log into your MS account on the second PC. You're talking about the Windows Store only, right? You should still be playing the game with different Xbox Live accounts.

I'm not sure how. There's no mechanism for device-bound licenses on Windows.

After some digging, I think what you're experiencing seems to be specific to Minecraft (and maybe some other WS games that support guest accounts).

Spasm

While Quantum Break may not technically be a Play Anywhere title, it does have the Progress Goes With You feature. Saves are shared between Xbox One and Win 10.

Edit: Also, initially at least, it was buy once, play on both Xbox and PC.

BruceCLea

Banned
If i buy the games on my PC and get a Scorpio later will they be there for me to download? It's all tied to my account right?

Top Bottom