• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

jywLw74.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from Twitter.

I like this

Really hoping they stick with the 'Scorpio' moniker, although they probably won't

leeh

I like this

Really hoping they stick with the 'Scorpio' moniker, although they probably won't
They did for Cortana and that was its code name. Hopefully they do with this.

Microsoft, the only company where their codenames are better than their actual product names.

pitchfork

They did for Cortana and that was its code name. Hopefully they do with this.

Microsoft, the only company where their codenames are better than their actual product names.

The whole 'Scorpio' name has really taken off with the Xbox community too. I think they'd be mad to drop it!

NHale

A case in point...

I give you two and that's more than enough derailing:

Thread about "What is life after BloodBorne?" said:
His first post:
now go play the fun video games

maybe a first person shooter, to cheer you right up

Thread created by the poster "So What's With The Hate for Infinite Warfare? [Serious]

I love first person shooters. I have played Dreamkiller. Hoped that Legendary would be good (it wasn't). Think Darkest of Days has its merits. Suffered my way through Killzone 2. I'll play any and every shooter there is, even when it's bad.

If you indeed only "want to have a good time. I want to talk about all the cool shit out there. Instead I gotta see people shitting over anything" why spend the first line of a thread created by you focusing on the bad shit instead of the good shit (COD:IW)?

Also if you want to have a good time why go to threads of people excited about Game X saying "now play the fun games". Especially if you are tired to see people shitting things up!

In isolation I don't have any issue with those posts, people have all the right to be critical and share their opinions freely, however if you want to paint yourself as somekind of kick ass positivity light beam around the shithole that is the rest of NeoGAF, then you can't have this kind of posts (and unfortunately not the exception).

I got Juniored for telling people we was going to have 4K games this generation & guess what? we are getting 4K games this generation.

You made like 1000 topics on it. I didn't mind because i like looking at your avatar though ;) But you were right.

Maybe not on launch consoles, but you called 4K and HDR.

Sky Chief

Boy does the new Titan make this look a bit pitiful. I hope MS has a serious rethink before next year.

Nvidia hasn't confirmed how high quality the pixels are though, we'll need confirmation on whether they're fully uncompressed before a final judgement can be made

Moreche

Will this just be 4K versions of Xbox One titles or are we looking at 1080p versions with more effects and better textures?

onQ123

I thought you said we would have 4K games on the launch hardware? Not Neo/Scorpio.

The consoles wasn't even announced when this happen it was in 2012 & I said it would happen about 3 years into the console cycle. I didn't know it would be new hardware but I knew that 4K would be big around this time & that the consoles would have to cater to the 4K owners too.

Temporal based rendering is ok now?

There was uproar about Quantum Break using it

I never complained about it but I'm guessing the people that did was just doing it because 1080P is suppose to be the standard now.

1080P will still be seen as the standard for most people so 4K of any kind is going to be seen differently then someone using these techniques for 1080P.

Are you sure it wasnt the uprendering or Scorpio is 6TF half-precision non-sense?

it happened in 2012 not in the last few months & if I was so wrong about it being uprendering & not upscaling why are we getting 4K using checkerboard rendering & other cheap rendering tricks & not just 1080p/1440p upscaled to 4K? and I never said Scorpio was 6TF half-precision I was explaining that because of the information that we got on stage only said 6TF without much information about the 6TF it could be 6TF FP16 because FP16 is becoming a focus for bigger GPUs now like they are for mobile GPUs. But thinks to the interviews after E3 I know that Xbox Scorpio is 4.5X more powerful than Xbox One.

You made like 1000 topics on it. I didn't mind because i like looking at your avatar though ;) But you were right.

Maybe not on launch consoles, but you called 4K and HDR.

I think it was only about 4 or 5 threads over a 3 month period but just like the 2 guys in this thread that couldn't understand that I wasn't downplaying Scorpio with my post it was people in the threads making a lot of noise & cause the mods to react.

My avatar might be the reason these people make all that noise lol.

onQ123

Will this just be 4K versions of Xbox One titles or are we looking at 1080p versions with more effects and better textures?

Whatever devs feel is best for their games but 4K is the driving force behind these new consoles.

Phil cleared this up later because people took it to mean that you wouldn't see any benefit when hooked up to a 1080P TV but he explained that 4K is the reason for this console.

Phil Spencer: What TV do you have?

A standard 1080p TV.

Phil Spencer: Then you should buy this box, because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you. Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see. Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you.

But I would say, price point is important, compatibility is critically important. We looked at 4K, talked to creators, you saw Todd Howard in our video, Patrick Soderlund from EA in our video, talked to creators about the work they were doing on PC in order to hit a true 4K gaming experience, and six teraflops is what we needed to go hit, so we designed for that.

So, Scorpio is for the person who's got a 4K television, who's really focused on 4K gaming. It's going to be a premium price over what we're selling this one for, and both of them will exist in the market at the same time. Scorpio is for your 4K gamer. And that's what we designed it for.

Phil Spencer: Obviously the game designers of our games have to think about framerate and field of view when they're designing competitive situations. We have this scenario with cross-play today, people playing games on PC and console at the same time.

On a console to console experience, when we designed Scorpio and we said 4K console, we looked at games that are running at, let's say 1080p 60 on an Xbox One, and said we want that same game to be able to run at 4K 60 on a Scorpio. We looked at the design of the games we had on Xbox One today and said, if we increase the resolution and maintain the framerate we have, could we hit that?

I think framerate's more interesting than resolution in terms of competitive gaming, and we wanted to make sure teams were able to build the 4K version of their game at the same framerate they can hit, at whatever resolution: 900 or 1K or even 720 that they're hitting on this box. So, we thought specifically about that situation and talked to developers about it.

If you're together in a co-op situation it's probably less interesting. But with people playing together, we wanted to make sure you could build the same framerate at a higher resolution between the two consoles, and that was critical to us in the RAM design and everything else we did.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

"And then I get the question of well, if you have an HDTV and you don't have a 4K TV, should you go buy Project Scorpio? And I guess some people will do that, and obviously Scorpio is going to be running the 6 teraflop version of a game, and that version of a game, even when downsampled to HD will look different than the game running at 1080p.

"But I still think of the complete Scorpio experience as somebody that has a 4K TV with Scorpio plugged into it. To take Scorpio and then plug it into an HDTV to me feels like you're taking a 4K frame buffer and down-rezzing it to show it on your TV. And the box will have downsampling - it will obviously show up on an HDTV. But the real design point for us, the motivation behind Scorpio, was 4K gaming, 6 teraflops. Some developers will take advantage of that 6 teraflops in different ways but that was really the design point for Project Scorpio and the reaction of the dev community, and frankly the fans here at E3 has been fantastic."
http://www.videogamer.com/news/phil_spencer_clarifies_scorpio_1080p_tv_comments.html

MilkyJoe

The consoles wasn't even announced when this happen it was in 2012 & I said it would happen about 3 years into the console cycle. I didn't know it would be new hardware but I knew that 4K would be big around this time & that the consoles would have to cater to the 4K owners too.

I never complained about it but I'm guessing the people that did was just doing it because 1080P is suppose to be the standard now.

1080P will still be seen as the standard for most people so 4K of any kind is going to be seen differently then someone using these techniques for 1080P.

I think it was only about 4 or 5 threads over a 3 month period but just like the 2 guys in this thread that couldn't understand that I wasn't downplaying Scorpio with my post it was people in the threads making a lot of noise & cause the mods to react.

My avatar might be the reason these people make all that noise lol.

Still at it?

So we are calling you out cause you are black now?

Have you no shame?

EDIT - just two people? Jinkies...

MilkyJoe

Oh wow. Who said anything about him being black. Do you enjoy jumping to conclusions and misinterpreting things?

What else am I supposed to take from saying we are having a pop because of his avatar? We have something against wife beater tops?

Three

What else am I supposed to take from saying we are having a pop because of his avatar? We have something against wife beater tops?

How about asking what he meant by the light-hearted response to somebody liking his avatar? There could be any number of reasons others might not like his avatar. Stop jumping to conclusions all the time and cool off a little.

THE:MILKMAN

Not sure what is going on in this thread but can I ask a random question about the render Microsoft showed if for no other reason than to lighten the mood around here?

Why does the motherboard have what I can only describe as a 6-pin PCI-E power connector on it?

MilkyJoe

How about asking what he meant by the light-hearted response to somebody liking his avatar? There could be any number of reasons others might not like his avatar. Stop jumping to conclusions all the time.

I seen you backing up his nonsense today.

let's ask him what he meant then. If you were alone in a lift with him and he farted, he'd argue til blue in the face it was you.

MilkyJoe

Not sure what is going on in this thread but can I ask a random question about the render Microsoft showed if for no other reason than to lighten the mood around here?

Why does the motherboard have what I can only describe as a 6-pin PCI-E power connector on it?

**not representative of final product **

onQ123

Still at it?

So we are calling you out cause you are black now?

Have you no shame?

EDIT - just two people? Jinkies...

I'm black? OMG why no one ever told me? being black has nothing to do with it it's the fact that most people would look at someone who is 250lbs of muscle & think that they don't know anything about computers. I fix computers do I look like I fix computers?

geordiemp

For the supplemental control device to add unlimited powa....

Maybe I am getting mixed up
Tehe sorry could not resist

This thread is getting a little heated and edgy, time to bail.

People need to lighten up, company PR will always be about 4K and quality pixels and those easy to convey soundbites, the reality is developers will always do what they think best fits their game and market.

MilkyJoe

I'm black? OMG why no one ever told me? being black has nothing to do with it it's the fact that most people would look at someone who is 250lbs of muscle & think that they don't know anything about computers. I fix computers do I look like I fix computers?

The guy at my work is built like a brick shit house does the IT too. He's bigger than you, also black. There's also a girl, from Ireland, a little over 5 foot, she does IT too, she's almost 50.

I'm shocked you do IT based on your posts.

onQ123

The guy at my work is built like a brick shit house does the IT too. He's bigger than you, also black. There's also a girl, from Ireland, a little over 5 foot, she does IT too, she's almost 50.

I'm shocked you do IT based on your posts.

Nothing I posted in this thread should make you feel shocked that I work on computers. read the thread back & you will see that I told you the same thing that Phil is telling you but for some reason you claim that I'm downplaying Scorpio by saying that the games will be the same game but made so that it can run in 4K & so on on Xbox Scorpio.

what is the part of my post that you're so mad at? because these are words from MS not me.

THE:MILKMAN

Well for me it is something that shouldn't even be there if it does represent a PCI-E connector. I'd be more inclined to think it a piss take by Microsoft. Did someone from Microsoft comment on the render and that it showed what they wanted it to?

geordiemp said:
For the supplemental control device to add unlimited powa....

Maybe I am getting mixed up Tehe sorry could not resist

This thread is getting a little heated and edgy, time to bail.

People need to lighten up, company PR will always be about 4K and quality pixels and those easy to convey soundbites, the reality is developers will always do what they think best fits their game and market.

Yeah it has been building for while now and is getting quite tense in here. Not sure why that is....

gatti-man

I have muscles and do computers. Not as rare as you would think.

MilkyJoe

Nothing I posted in this thread should make you feel shocked that I work on computers. read the thread back & you will see that I told you the same thing that Phil is telling you but for some reason you claim that I'm downplaying Scorpio by saying that the games will be the same game but made so that it can run in 4K & so on on Xbox Scorpio.

what is the part of my post that you're so mad at? because these are words from MS not me.

Dude, I've posted that tweet 3 times to you, 4K is not going to be the norm.

How's about we call truce, I've just driven for 5 hours and now I'm playing Endor Battlefront.

Moving on.....

(I dont know anything tech related to change the subject but let's try, eh.)

I wonder how big the box will be? Xbox One, Xbox One S or somewhere in between? :)

MilkyJoe

Well for me it is something that shouldn't even be there if it does represent a PCI-E connector. I'd be more inclined to think it a piss take by Microsoft. Did someone from Microsoft comment on the render and that it showed what they wanted it to?

Yeah it has been building for while now and is getting quite tense in here. Not sure why that is....

Remember when they took the piss out of Sony "console reveal with no console" maybe just a save face thing?

onQ123

I have muscles and do computers. Not as rare as you would think.

I know it's not rare but people still make quick judgments. Like with Neo I explained over & over again that it would use uprendering to get 4K & that it was not upscaling but people made jokes & everything like I didn't know what I was talking about yet when the paper leaked it talked about using Checkerboard rendering & other cheaper rendering techniques to render (not upscale) in 4K.

Theonik

Which is hilarious because DF based the 12GB speculation almost entirely on the render. Though that connector could well be how the system gets power for the power supply.

The 'over 320GB/s of bandwidth' could easily be 8GB of 256-bit GDDR5 + ESRAM if they continue the trend of combining pools. (we have no idea how the numbers are derived.)

mike4001_

No graphic card included.

You have to buy a Titan X extra and put it in there.

onQ123

Dude, I've posted that tweet 3 times to you, 4K is not going to be the norm.

How's about we call truce, I've just driven for 5 hours and now I'm playing Endor Battlefront.

My post wasn't about games having to be in 4K my post was about Xbox One games becoming Xbox One / Scorpio games now. the same game but being made so that when played on Scorpio it can run in 4K or whatever else they decide to do with the power.

Bulby

My post wasn't about games having to be in 4K my post was about Xbox One games becoming Xbox One / Scorpio games now. the same game but being made so that when played on Scorpio it can run in 4K or whatever else they decide to do with the power.

Now that I kinda understand your point...I still dont understand your point...

Yeah we are going to have the same game across multiple platforms. Which has been happening forever, its hardly a talking point.

Also never believe anything that comes out of a PR persons mouth, especially MS. There will be Scorpio exclusives (or scorpio and windows) eventually, you would be crazy to think not.

onQ123

Now that I kinda understand your point...I still dont understand your point...

Yeah we are going to have the same game across multiple platforms. Which has been happening forever, its hardly a talking point.

Also never believe anything that comes out of a PR persons mouth, especially MS. There will be Scorpio exclusives (or scorpio and windows) eventually, you would be crazy to think not.

My point is that I think these games will be UWP games.

My 1st post

I think Scorpio is just a smart way to force 3rd party devs hands into making UWP games.

My 2nd post

Listening to Phil talk about it all being one game make me think that Scorpio games will be UWP games, so basically MS would be saying to devs why make a PC game & Xbox One game when you can make a UWP game that will play on Xbox One & high end PCs? And if you're worried about your game not looking the best on Xbox One we also have a high end Xbox One.

3rd post where code started question the part about 4K

Xbox One games will soon have to be made to also run in 4K & so on for Scorpio & there will be no Scorpio exclusives so most likely they will just start making Xbox One games into UWP games that could be played on Xbox One , Scorpio & PC.

But there is no prove that every game for Scorpio will be 4k.

And I explained that this is why I said and so on

That's why I said & so on. but that's what Scorpio & Neo is being made for 4K .

Then him & others tried to prove that every game didn't have to be in 4K for some reason even though I said that's why I said "and so on" because it's not limited to 4K. others even said that Neo specs wasn't for 4K & I posted proof that both of the consoles was made with 4K in mind & the rest is history.

They are made to deliver better graphics. Neither Sony nor MS say devs they have to make their games 4k.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210935424&postcount=4588

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Purely on a flops metric neo is around 2 (rounding) ps4s, and Scorpio is around 3 (rounding as well) ps4s, so about the same jump.

The other specs are unknown, but memory and bandwidth are possibly a bigger jump from neo to Scorpio than ps4 to neo too, if the 12gb for Scorpio holds true.

And then there's the cpu, if ms uses anything other than jaguar the jump could be higher as well.

Uh, yeah.

Hence why I said, "by the numbers we currently know"... which is only the Flops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom