• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see what the NDA looks like to keep so many folks mum lol.

There isn't really any crazy information that isn't already out there. It's running the current X1 OS, its got 12gb of GDDR5, the GPU is already known. Like, its a souped up X1 - the only real things left to leak are the name, pricepoint, and final physical form factor, which are all things 3rd party devs wouldn't be privy to anyway. And unless MS pulls a last minute 'surprise' like Sony did with the 8gb of GDDR5, don't expect anything different on the CPU side either.

I don't care about any of all that. Will likely be something that isn't all that special at all. What i wonder is if the Scorpio will actually have a different look, UI wise. There was a report or two about that not so long ago but it was a little unclear.

I don't care about any of all that. Will likely be something that isn't all that special at all. What i wonder is if the Scorpio will actually have a different look, UI wise. There was a report or two about that not so long ago but it was a little unclear.

With all the work they put into the Xbox One OS, I just can't see them having something different for Scorpio there. I have a strong feeling that many on Gaf will be very disappointed by Scorpio, but mostly due to their own inflated hype.

It will 100000% have the xbox one OS. HOWEVER, the OS will most likely have a major update around when Scorpio launches in the fall. They usually do I think

Which is??

Last I checked/heard, it was a higher clocked version of the same CPU in the X1, only with some other adjustments to the bus on the APU. But, that was from a briefing from back in January and the possibility that an 11th hour surprise (although I highly, HIGHLY doubt this would be the case), like Sony's, is entirely possible.

Caayn

Last I checked/heard, it was a higher clocked version of the same CPU in the X1, only with some other adjustments to the bus on the APU. But, that was from a briefing from back in January and the possibility that an 11th hour surprise (although I highly, HIGHLY doubt this would be the case), like Sony's, is entirely possible.
Thanks for the info.

That'd be a disappointment if the CPU is merely a higher clocked version with a few tweaks. No matter who is to blame (MS or AMD).

vivekTO

Ok thanks. E3 will be exciting.Hopefully nerdleaks won't leak Anything prior to the show like they did last time. Almost entire show was leaked.

Wedzi

Banned

Well Phil said during that episode from Unlocked not too long ago that the APU was finalized late last year so if you heard that in January I wouldn't expect anything to change CPU wise.

Thanks for the info.

That'd be a disappointment if the CPU is merely a higher clocked version with a few tweaks. No matter who is to blame (MS or AMD).

Same cpu better frequency/gpu/ram/bandwidth makes sense to keep everything running as smoothly as possible across different devices.

Ms going all out with a new cpu/gpu combo would be fantastic, though unrealistic, I guess.

I'd like to be so wrong on this xD

shandy706

You have some serious high expectations about Scorpio turning the tides.

Nah, not even going to buy one unless Red Dead 2 is significantly better on it and the PC build isn't day 1/close to release. Otherwise I'm just getting the PS4 version and I'll wait for lower prices.

I think it will only sell to the hardcore crowd/those that want 4k.

I have a gaming PC that does 4k, and Microsoft's games are coming to that. If a port sucks, I'll just get the X1 build.

Thanks for the info.

The problem is, the further you change the CPU, the more work every dev who has ever released a game would have to do to ensure compatibility on the new hardware with the X1.

Part of the sales pitch of Scorpio is that it will run the entire X1 library natively and it will have their own hardware solutions to allow native improvements. A big change like that for the CPU would ensure we might get all sorts of wonky behavior from each & every game. The last thing the Scorpio needs is uncertain performance in the back library - they want the hardcore to buy this so you can get better performance from those older games, not worse.

On the other hand, there could very well be a solution to this that ensures native compatibility across machines. MS has tried this sort of cross-compatibility nativity solution in years past to very low success (I remember the early days of UWP - it never worked as intended), so if there has been some solid advancement on this front, the first signs of it will be in Scorpio.

JeffG

The problem is, the further you change the CPU, the more work every dev who has ever released a game would have to do to ensure compatibility on the new hardware.

Part of the sales pitch of Scorpio is that it will run the entire X1 library natively and it will have their own hardware solutions to allow native improvements. A big change like that for the CPU would ensure we might get all sorts of wonky behavior from each & every game.
I know. Man the work devs have to do to get it working for every PC cpu out there is an amazing amount of work.

Theorry

There is now way to please everybody really. People say they are intrested but dont buy it when its above $400. And a Zen CPU probably will push it above that. So people want $400 and Zen. And thats really impossible of we are honest.

I know. Man the work devs have to do to get it working for every PC cpu out there is an amazing amount of work.

The way devs develop for PC is different for closed-box systems, like the Xbox One, PS4, etc. It's not a similar comparison. And yes, compatibility development on PC is a very arduous process - if it weren't, you wouldn't see so many PC games coming out in the ridiculous states they sometimes do, regardless of the strength of the hardware that is running it.

JeffG

The way devs develop for PC is different for closed-box systems, like the Xbox One, PS4, etc. It's not a similar comparison. And yes, compatibility development on PC is a very arduous process - if it weren't, you wouldn't see so many PC games coming out in the ridiculous states they are in, regardless of the strength of the hardware that is running it.

lol

Try again

At least now I know which pile to put you in.

Proelite

I agree, not really buying the porting problem as a reason for no Zen. Considering that they were able to emulate x86 with PPC, and PPC with x86, x86 with x86 should be a cakewalk.

Why do people keep associating Project Scorpio with turning sales tides. Sure, it would be exciting and all to see it have such an impact, but that should be the least of everyone's focus.

It's far more important that it release and be every bit the monster in the performance department people looking forward to owning one hope it will be. It won't be getting exclusives built specifically for its capabilities, but it doesn't need that at all to still produce amazing results. In fact, in the case of Xbox One being the baseline, I fully expect that to work to Scorpio's benefit.

Does anyone know how trade-ins work for stuff like this? I decided to get a cheap Xbox One on Amazon to play some exclusives until the Scorpio releases, but when I got it, the only thing it didn't come with is the original Xbox One box and its inserts, and the warranty sticker in the back if the system is cut. Will GameStop check that? I plan to go to eBay to find an Xbox One cardboard box if someone happens to be selling one so I can get full trade-in value. I'll have to see if I'm able to buff out some scuffs on the glossy part of the system as well.

Does anyone know how trade-ins work for stuff like this? I decided to get a cheap Xbox One on Amazon to play some exclusives until the Scorpio releases, but when I got it, the only thing it didn't come with is the original Xbox One box, and the warranty sticker in the back is cut. Will GameStop check that? I plan to go to eBay to find an Xbox One cardboard box if someone happens to be selling one.

From my experience, they never require an original box for a trade in. All you'll need is the console and accessories that come in the box (console, power, HDMI, controller). Not sure about the warranty sticker being cut though. Depending on the Gamestop you go to they may or may not check that. My local store never really cares about physical condition unless the console itself looks like it went through a war.

I agree, not really buying the porting problem as a reason for no Zen. Considering that they were able to emulate x86 with PPC, and PPC with x86, x86 with x86 should be a cakewalk.

So, who is doing the port work? Remember, the vast majority of developers will not be issuing patches for the back catalog on the X1. The problem isn't that they can't be ported - it absolutely can be; its that they don't want to make devs have to work in order to ensure compatibility. The back catalog needs to natively run on the new hardware as they currently exists in the wild. Major changes to the CPU & its architecture will can throw that into all sorts of unintended disarray, despite what JohnG's dismissive tone would allow you to believe.

JeffG

So, who is doing the port work? Remember, the vast majority of developers will not be issuing patches for the back catalog on the X1. The problem isn't that they can't be ported - it absolutely can be; its that they don't want to make devs have to work in order to ensure compatibility. The back catalog needs to natively run on the new hardware as they currently exists in the wild. Major changes to the CPU & its architecture will can throw that into all sorts of intended disarray, despite what JohnG's dismissive tone would allow you to believe.

Well, its always good for you to take time out from your lunch hr before going back to flipping burgers to discuss software issues.

Well, its always good for you to take time out from your lunch hr before going back to flipping burgers to discuss software issues.

Cute. Considering how much of a diehard Xbox fan you seem to be, i'm sure you've bought some of the very same burgers i've flipped in the past. Ignored.

The problem is, the further you change the CPU, the more work every dev who has ever released a game would have to do to ensure compatibility on the new hardware with the X1.

Part of the sales pitch of Scorpio is that it will run the entire X1 library natively and it will have their own hardware solutions to allow native improvements. A big change like that for the CPU would ensure we might get all sorts of wonky behavior from each & every game. The last thing the Scorpio needs is uncertain performance in the back library - they want the hardcore to buy this so you can get better performance from those older games, not worse.

On the other hand, there could very well be a solution to this that ensures native compatibility across machines. MS has tried this sort of cross-compatibility nativity solution in years past to very low success (I remember the early days of UWP - it never worked as intended), so if there has been some solid advancement on this front, the first signs of it will be in Scorpio.

That wouldn't be a problem for Scorpio because of how the Xbox One operating is designed. Don't forget it has a hypervisor that provides some degree of abstraction from the OS running the game and layer that actually has full control of the system's hardware. It's, for example, why the Xbox One S can automatically provide a better experience on every game compared to the OG box.

Microsoft also quite recently said more or less the same thing as I just did, only in a different way.

JeffG

Cute. Considering how much of a diehard Xbox fan you seem to be, i'm sure you've bought some of the very same burgers i've flipped in the past.

Probably

But in all seriousness. With every post you make, just shows how much you do not know or understand about computers and software.

Sometimes, people should take the cotton out of their ears and stuff it in their mouth. Might give them a chance to expand their knowledge.

From my experience, they never require an original box for a trade in. All you'll need is the console and accessories that come in the box (console, power, HDMI, controller). Not sure about the warranty sticker being cut though. Depending on the Gamestop you go to they may or may not check that. My local store never really cares about physical condition unless the console itself looks like it went through a war.

Alrighty. I just want to get a full trade-in value. They charged me with a refurbish fee for my PS4 towards a Pro because I had a custom face plate and a bigger hard drive installed which makes sense, but I don't know how they deal with scratches. They're light scratches so car polish should remove those. I just don't want to show up without the box and get value marked off just because of that. Plus the warranty sticker is really what I'm worried most about. My launch PS4 was the only thing I've ever personally traded in at GameStop and I had everything including the box, minus those few mods I did.

Leyasu

Banned
I am in the
not
zen camp. But I would be surprised to see jaguar. Anything else possible?

When are they going to announce the thing ? The suspense is killing me.

That wouldn't be a problem for Scorpio because of how the Xbox One operating is designed. Don't forget it has a hypervisor that provides some degree of abstraction from the OS running the game and layer that actually has full control of the system's hardware. It's, for example, why the Xbox One S can automatically provide a better experience on every game compared to the OG box.

Right, but thats because the CPU is still both the same architecture, chipset, AND at a slightly higher clock rate. In order to really put this to test, you'd need to see how it would run on CPUs of radically different chipset manufacturers. It's still enough of a variable that you may want to just avoid if you start getting games in the back catalog running in unintentional conditions.

I dont care what they release, Im in.

I'm in this camp. It's guaranteed to be an awesome console regardless, but I think everyone wanting a powerful console that didn't hold back will be happy. That's my thoughts, unless people wanted something more than what I already believed to be the best case scenario. :D

Right, but thats because the CPU is still both the same architecture, chipset, AND at a slightly higher clock rate. In order to really put this to test, you'd need to see how it would run on CPUs of radically different chipset manufacturers. It's still enough of a variable that you may want to just avoid if you start getting games in the back catalog running in unintentional conditions.

We'll see. I see it working out. If not, no harm.

Alrighty. I just want to get a full trade-in value. They charged me with a refurbish fee for my PS4 towards a Pro because I had a custom face plate and a bigger hard drive installed which makes sense, but I don't know how they deal with scratches. They're light scratches so car polish should remove those. I just don't want to show up without the box and get value marked off just because of that. My launch PS4 was the only thing I've ever personally traded in at GameStop and I had everything including the box, minus those few mods I did.

Yeah, box definitely doesn't matter so you're good there. I traded in my Wii-U this January and it was scratched to hell. I let a friend borrow it once and they set it up on the floor where their large dog could easily walk on it... But I wasn't charged any sort of refurb fee.

Either way, I'd say keep an eye out for trade values but also look at local options. If you're in the U.S. there's an app called LetGo that's pretty easy to use. I bought my One S on a Target price error for $190, and shortly after sold my OG console for $200 via LetGo.

meirl

Banned

If this is true, why would they wait for a full year?

If this is true, why would they wait for a full year?

I don't know why, but its not like it isn't that much more powerful - its a pretty sizeable upgrade clearly. It's not like they said they were waiting for tech to become available. Heck, like other people have pointed out - Spencer said they finalized the APU back in December, so it's not like any of the tech developments that have occurred in this year are on the table for this thing regardless.

I don't know why, but its not like it isn't that much more powerful - its a pretty sizeable upgrade clearly. It's not like they said they were waiting for tech to become available. Heck, like other people have pointed out - Spencer said they finalized the APU back in December, so it's not like any of the tech developments that have occurred in this year are on the table for this thing regardless.

I SUCK AT READING

gaming_noob

My guess is they wanted to give more time for some first party projects to complete to show off at the Scorpio reveal to maximize hype.

Isn't removing ESRAM already a significant change to the pipeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom