• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox raises Series S|X price in Sweden

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Swedish economy is currently in the shitter. The Krona is losing all value. Our politicians, bankers and the upper middle class that made it so refuse to admit responsibility. Really bad times here.
I dont want this to turn into a politics topic. But for sake of interest, what’s going on there? Is it also same in other Scandinavian countries?

Can you give a super brief recap?

I always got a vibe all those countries run rock solid in economy and government like a dream. Whereas other western countries ride a roller coaster of ups and downs of money, politics and stupidity,

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Well, that's a new one. For decades we have seen a PRICE DROP after 2 years into a generation. A Price Raise for the same hardware, 2 years into current gen, is a bit concerning.

It's the same everywhere. Global economy is seriously in the gutter. I am thinking locking down the global economy for several months wasn't such a good idea.
Swedish economy is an exception. Economic growth this year is expected to be less than that of Russia and lowest of all EU countries. It's a country that has for decades abused interest-free loans.

Is the inflation the same around the world? At 7-10%, I expect that every product cost more... At the same time, console prices are generally going down. The main issue is that people salary don't follow the inflation.
We have terrible inflation thanks to a self-inflicted energy crisis. Inflation is 11.7% for jan.

Last edited:

Rhazkul

The main issue is that people salary don't follow the inflation.
It sucks but you can't fix inflation like this. It will just end up in an eternal inflation cycle. The more money you pump into the economy, the worse the inflation. You gotta do the opposite: suck the money out of the economy. Which hurts the middle and working class the most...there's no easy way.

Dang, I wonder what territories are next. What a bizarre time we live in. Who could imagine a world were, two years into a console generation, prices increase vs decrease.

Basically anywhere but US and UK are on the table. Anywhere else and they risk really driving down their market share. They're aware that there are still enough early adopters to maximize revenue against current demand in countries that never really received a ton of supply.

Microsoft has become quite cost-conscious with this and the layoffs. Quite the contrast to cost-conscious Sony, who is still actively hiring across studios and are seemingly doubling down. Sony is raising prices to make more money and Microsoft is raising prices to save money.

The big ticker is when they raise global prices (including US and UK) for gamepass, which I think will happen this year and potentially before the release of Starfield.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The thing about inflation is that it’s misleading.

It only factors in certain things. So depending on what you’re buying that 5-10% inflation rate may or may not hold true.

For example, home prices the past year since mortgage rates skyrocketed have lead to every home I’ve checked being DOWN 10-20%. My house included. My investment condo has dropped 15% in a year.

Anyone buying a new home lately at cheap prices is probably like “what inflation”?

When prices have dropped this much equating to $100,000s, who cares if the price of chicken has gone up 25 cents/lb.

Last edited:

Three

DarkMage619 DarkMage619 are we out of the hypothetical and imaginary yet?

It's not a strawman and I never claimed you personally said anything about believing Phil or not. Doesn't change the fact that currently there is no actual Xbox price hikes so for now we are talking about a hypothetical.

Why should I miss out on a great value because of a hypothetical? Real prices hikes are worse than imagainry ones every time.

Are you concerned about price hikes like you were before now?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We have terrible inflation thanks to a self-inflicted energy crisis. Inflation is 11.7% for jan.
Me, dealing with a 27.5% inflation in January 2023:

200.gif

P.S. Best wishes y'all. 🤝

Chukhopops

The thing about inflation is that it’s misleading.

It only factors in certain things. So depending on what you’re buying that 5-10% inflation rate may or may not hold true.

For example, home prices the past year since mortgage rates skyrocketed have lead to every home I’ve checked being DOWN 10-20%. My house included. My investment condo has dropped 15% in a year.

Anyone buying a new home lately at cheap prices is probably like “what inflation”?

When prices have dropped this much equating to $100,000s, who cares if the price of chicken has gone up 25 cents/lb.
The reason house prices are going down (in Europe) is because interest rates have exploded, so everyone’s borrowing ability has decreased.

Last year I could easily borrow for a 1M€ house and pay back the same monthly amount I would pay today for a 500k loan. Rates have more than tripled, loan insurance became mandatory and you’d need a really good job to borrow 1M€.

skit_data

Not surprised, the Swedish crown was hit hard by inflation and it’s definitely noticeable in everyday life.

Last week I was at a bar for a few beers with a friend for the first time since last summer and a pint of beer is expensive as fuck now. Usually they cost around ~40-50 SEK, but now it was 70 SEK. I ordered one each for me and my friend and when I was about to pay I my first thought was that the bartender must’ve made a mistake. No, they were just expensive as fuck.

Edit: Series S at almost 4000 SEK comes off as overpriced. Definitely outside of the ”impulse buy” price area now.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

Glad I just bought my bedroom series x with 10 percent off. I was trying to wait for the inevitable starfield edition but hey ho.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Why the hell would you increase the price of a gateway device into Game Pass when all bets are on that subscription service? You'd figure they want the consoles and other entry points as cheap as possible.

Probably Sony. Ps3 pricing.

During a recent interview with Japanese economic website Toyo Keizai, ever-charming Ken Kutaragi had this to say about Sony's goal for the PS3: "for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that th

Yeah and Sony sold every console with a loss. So what's the point??

Even If this Statement sounds arrogant in the end the consumer pays less than it cost to manufacture the console.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Yeah and Sony sold every console with a loss. So what's the point??

Even If this Statement sounds arrogant in the end the consumer pays less than it cost to manufacture the console.
As a consumer, I don't care if Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo lose money.

Last edited:

Brucey

OuterLimits

Well, a PS5 is like 7,300 SEK ($705) in most places now. Don't know why, it wasn't that expensive at launch (I paid 6,000 for mine), but yeah.
So Xbox series X is still $100(U.S. dollar) cheaper than PS5? That is quite the difference even with the price increase.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Absolutely, especially if there are no alternatives to paying full retail for new games and digital games can only be purchased from the platform holder's store.
Second hand market is as good as ever, you can buy games through foreign PS stores for much cheaper (e.g. Turkey) and digital games can be played through PS Extra (including games like Returnal, Horizon, God of War, Uncharted, The Last of Us and Demon’s Souls). Extra has already had 2 sales @ £49.99 for 12 months.

Trying to take Major Nelsons job, huh?
Same energy as Ryan McCaffrey begging for a presenting job on Twitter.

Top Bottom