• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Removes Yearly XBL Gold Subscription | Is Free Multiplayer Coming?

Is Free Multiplayer Coming to Xbox?

• Yes

Votes: 101 28.9%
  • No Way

Votes: 249 71.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neofire

Lol @ people thinking Microsoft is going to give away their biggest money maker for free. Correct me if i am wrong but cant buy a year subscription of Netflix at once either? 🧐🤔

azz0r

Banned
Could be a valid tactic for next gen to offer online gaming for free, would love to see Sony follow suit.

Keep PSN for free games.

joe_zazen

Sure man, MS will just cut off a MASSIVE source of revenue, because you know, they are the good guys now.

eh, 7 years of losses while they laugh at sony flailing, then turn the screws. Thats what I’d do. Embrace, enhance, extinguish.

Nintendo will be fine though as they have the strongest IP on the planet.

Agent X

However... this could be simply to encourage people to get Gamepass Ultimate. In which case yeah I guess I get that but then why still offer 1 or 3 months? Why remove the best value amount, 12 months, unless it's because there WON'T BE GOLD in 12 months?

They're removing the "best value" option because they simply don't want that option on the table anymore. Period. Full stop.

They want to make Game Pass and Game Pass Ultimate the only subscription options available, at higher prices. But, they'll keep the old 1-month and 3-month Xbox Live Gold cards around for a short time, just so Game Pass looks like a "better value" proposition by comparison.

Thirty7ven

Banned
eh, 7 years of losses while they laugh at sony flailing, then turn the screws. Thats what I’d do. Embrace, enhance, extinguish.

Nintendo will be fine though as they have the strongest IP on the planet.

giphy.gif

Pizdetz

Banned
Charging for online on console is a travesty. Do they even provide their own dedicated servers? Where is the value added?

dorkimoe

Gold Member
There are actual people in this thread who think you will need Game Pass to play online.
It has live in it now. They just got rid of the option to buy a year of live...
what’s the price difference now between a year of game pass ultimate and a 4x3 months of live now? It’s definitely going that way.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Guys do you remember the shade Sony threw at MS around the launch of Xbox One? The shared game thing? The always online requirements?

I would avatar bet anyone that Microsoft is going to say "Starting with Xbox One Series X, basic online multiplayer is free. Games with Gold will now be part of GamePass & GamePass Ultimate, making an already incredible value even better, and getting more people playing the games they want with their friends, regardless of platform." (Last bit taking another stab at Sony's crossplay reluctance)

It's honestly a no brainer. MS knows they didn't do so hot this gen (compared to Sony) -- so they absolutely will pull out all the stops to make themselves get a head start / leg up on this gen.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

They're removing the "best value" option because they simply don't want that option on the table anymore. Period. Full stop.

They want to make Game Pass and Game Pass Ultimate the only subscription options available, at higher prices. But, they'll keep the old 1-month and 3-month Xbox Live Gold cards around for a short time, just so Game Pass looks like a "better value" proposition by comparison.

I believe they are about to radically transition to a new model that will apply across all of their platforms. There will be no difference between windows gp and xbox game-pass and Xcloud gp, which means no fee for online.

This isnt about short term profits, but long term customer acquisition. Next gen might be a bloodbath. We will know very soon.

my prediction is $249 xss (wich will have regular $199 sales), Xcloud on any device that will allow it, the same gamepass available on whatever device you xboxxcloud on for $9.99 per month or less, and a 1000+ games library as soon as you sub. Full price retail will be there too, because AAA 3rd party demand it.

To fully take off, they need Xcloud and local streaming on phones and tablets. If they can get that done, I am not sure how exactly sony will compete. I know people like their games, but I do not believe most people care enough about the last of us and days gone to ignore the value of xbox. Like i said, nintendo will be fine as they have IP that people will buy hardware for.

what happens after sony goes away? Well MS uses market power to make money.

Interesting time.

vdopey

If Microsoft get rid of Gold, remove the paywall from online multiplayer. It will quite honestly be something I will praise them for, they introduced this tax if they remove it, it would be the most pro-consumer thing they have done.

There should never have been a charge to play online, sure feel free to add a pay component which provides monthly games and other benefits. This charge was the most user hostile thing ever created for console gaming (This goes for playstation and Nintendo as well) there never was a justification for it, if Microsoft do actually ditch it, I would applaud them.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It has live in it now. They just got rid of the option to buy a year of live...
what’s the price difference now between a year of game pass ultimate and a 4x3 months of live now? It’s definitely going that way.
Like around the double. 25 USD for 3 months vs 15 USD for a month. Gold deals and free games will be merged to GPU, but not the online paywall.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Online for gold will never go away.

It's just money lying on the table for doing absolutely nothing.

Flintty

I believe they are about to radically transition to a new model that will apply across all of their platforms. There will be no difference between windows gp and xbox game-pass and Xcloud gp, which means no fee for online.

This isnt about short term profits, but long term customer acquisition. Next gen might be a bloodbath. We will know very soon.

my prediction is $249 xss (wich will have regular $199 sales), Xcloud on any device that will allow it, the same gamepass available on whatever device you xboxxcloud on for $9.99 per month or less, and a 1000+ games library as soon as you sub. Full price retail will be there too, because AAA 3rd party demand it.

To fully take off, they need Xcloud and local streaming on phones and tablets. If they can get that done, I am not sure how exactly sony will compete. I know people like their games, but I do not believe most people care enough about the last of us and days gone to ignore the value of xbox. Like i said, nintendo will be fine as they have IP that people will buy hardware for.

what happens after sony goes away? Well MS uses market power to make money.

Interesting time.

All valid points but I don’t think Sony will go away. They will adapt and come up with something to stay competitive, just as MS has done. The beauty of competition.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Like around the double. 25 USD for 3 months vs 15 USD for a month. Gold deals and free games will be merged to GPU, but not the online paywall.
**All prices are assuming MSRP....not sale prices**
3 months of GPU is $49.99 (So 1 year of GPU is 3 x $49.99 = $149.97 *plus tax)
3 months of gold is $24.99 and 1 year of Xbox live Gold is $59.99

12Dannu123

All valid points but I don’t think Sony will go away. They will adapt and come up with something to stay competitive, just as MS has done. The beauty of competition.

Sony will continue to be a player in the console market. But they won't be a significant player in the Game Streaming market. The advantages that Microsoft has over Sony are too great for Sony to overcome.

Last edited:

Banned
I said it multiple times already. Xbox Live Gold has no place in the current ecosystem of Microsoft.

as PC and console get closer and closer on Microsoft's side, it becomes more and more unfair for Xbox players to pay for playing online.
while PC players LITERALLY play the exact same games, on the exact same servers, through the exact same network using EXACTLY the same features... all absolutely free of charge.

this makes zero sense, becomes increasingly unfair as Xbox and Windows 10 become 2 sides of the same coin and is not needed anymore since they have a way more attractive subscription in the form of GamePass to create a steady revenue flow.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Lol @ people thinking Microsoft is going to give away their biggest money maker for free. Correct me if i am wrong but cant buy a year subscription of Netflix at once either? 🧐🤔
I wouldn't downplay it. This is the first time that you can't sub for a year. Makes it seem obvious they are making a change.

Genx3

If this is MS's way of raising Gold to $100 a year I'll be done with Xbox after supporting Xbox since 2002.
No way I'm going to pay $100 to subsidize XBL for PC free users while I get raked over the coals for on line play.

This would be a deal breaker for me.

Lone Wolf

They need to make Xbox live free. Make it Ad supported and take away the monthly games. If you buy gamepass or GPU, remove Ads. Sony would definitely respond to this with something good.

It's pretty obvious what they're doing. If you want to stick with traditional console gaming, as in a console and Gold subscription for multiplayer, it's going to cost you more now. You want any actual discounts, you got to pay into their vision of a future of GAAS. So much for being proconsumer.

Genx3

I said it multiple times already. Xbox Live Gold has no place in the current ecosystem of Microsoft.

as PC and console get closer and closer on Microsoft's side, it becomes more and more unfair for Xbox players to pay for playing online.
while PC players LITERALLY play the exact same games, on the exact same servers, through the exact same network using EXACTLY the same features... all absolutely free of charge.

this makes zero sense, becomes increasingly unfair as Xbox and Windows 10 become 2 sides of the same coin and is not needed anymore since they have a way more attractive subscription in the form of GamePass to create a steady revenue flow.

Damn, its like you just read my mind!

MS also gives PC gamers exclusives that don't play on XB or come later on XB.

I'm getting tired of subsidizing XBL for PC users.

smbu2000

Guys do you remember the shade Sony threw at MS around the launch of Xbox One? The shared game thing? The always online requirements?

I would avatar bet anyone that Microsoft is going to say "Starting with Xbox One Series X, basic online multiplayer is free. Games with Gold will now be part of GamePass & GamePass Ultimate, making an already incredible value even better, and getting more people playing the games they want with their friends, regardless of platform." (Last bit taking another stab at Sony's crossplay reluctance)

It's honestly a no brainer. MS knows they didn't do so hot this gen (compared to Sony) -- so they absolutely will pull out all the stops to make themselves get a head start / leg up on this gen.
Games with Gold is already included with Gamepass Ultimate as Gold is included as part of the package.

Regular Gamepass doesn't include Gold, so maybe they may just roll the Gold perks into that as well? Leaving GPU as including the PC Gamepass and now Xcloud as the perks.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have to wonder if the conversion from gold to GPU worked better than they anticipated and are going to attempt to force it out and remove gold.

Dress it up as saying hey if you payed for gold we are going to convert automatically to GPU free of charge with the hope that people will stay subbed after their free time has ended.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think they are just going to bundle everything into GPU. I suspect they will get rid of GP only subs but will probably keep Gold only available but with 1- 3 month no discount options in order to entice players to pay a few dollars more to get GPU with GP & Xcloud included.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think they are just going to bundle everything into GPU. I suspect they will get rid of GP only subs but will probably keep Gold only available but with 1- 3 month no discount options in order to entice players to pay a few dollars more to get GPU with GP & Xcloud included.

Regular GP doesn't make much sense if Gold still exists because like you said the price of gold plus GP, you might as well get GP ultimate.

As a lot of Microsoft games have large online components, including the obvious upcoming Halo Infinite, it makes more sense to try and get them into that game with GP, let them play online for free, and hope they keep GP to keep playing and possibly spend money on skins and such.

Gold doesn't really have a place anymore with their long term goals. People won't stay subbed to gold if they aren't in the ecosystem where as GP will encourage them to keep GP just by the virtue of your games not being playable unless you are subbed.

Edit: also because if you are attempting to get someone into the ecosystem and GP. You have to sell them on two services. GP and XBL.

Much easier to just say, play online for free, get GP to get the games.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I highly doubt it. Gold is a big money maker.

I was thinking they are gimping online subs to more expensive 1 and 3 month subs so they could make more money off lazy people who don't to look for 12 month codes on the net from other sources.

jakinov

Microsoft and Sony have less of an excuse to charge for online now that their cut of game sales triple (digital) and they get a cut of micro-transactions. Before not charging for online would cut into their main revenue stream which already wasn't that big and was already supposed to offset the R&D and not making a significant profit on hardware.

Microsoft has a business interest in giving themselves a competitive advantage by removing this fee. The revenue may be regained in the other revenue streams by gaining back more market share. People may consume more online games and they may make their money back in other revenue. They can continue to offer the gold service and just offer free games and other perks. Saying that Microsoft isn't going to cut the price because it's a big revenue source is like saying a store wouldn't cut prices because it cuts their revenue/profits. Stores cut prices to ultimately sell more volume to ultimately make more profits. Business decisions like this could result in ultimately more revenue/profits.

magaman

Banned
Imagine being in 1997, playing multiplayer without any fees, and reading this:

"In the future, you'll be paying to play online and happy to do so. Then, one day, someone will have the crazy idea to offer online gaming for free. Wow! What a concept!"

Man. These corporations have you guys trained like lap dogs.

If I had to wager a guess it would be to incentivize Gamepass Ultimate subs. 'Good guy Microsoft' is still a profit-seeking enterprise, not to diminish the consumer-friendly moves they've been making the past few years.

MS wants as many people as possible paying them $15 a month for their (incredible, imo) service. They don't care if you buy their machine, so long as you have a sub.

Dr Bass

Seems more like they prefer monthly or quarterly revenue for these services. Especially if the annual pass was more of a discount. It's probably a way to push for incremental revenue growth in their services department, or maybe for corporate accounting reasons we aren't privy to. Or they are going to have a single gamepass/xbox live sub soon and they are cleaning house. I really don't think it's because they want to start giving stuff away for free. Especially something that requires the infrastructure of Live. You think MS wants to just start eating that?

Fox Mulder

free online is a huge move MS could try to close the gap with the playstation.

I just think it's obvious for companies to stop offering full year subs. Millions of people are fine paying monthly for all kinds of services, they'd do it for Gold too at $10 a month.

Abear21

Banned
The company that requires batteries for wireless controllers pushing us to buy accessories is probably just making shit more expensive, not cheaper, for us consumers in the end. I’ve owned Xbox’s and I’m getting a Series X so back off me, just saying! At the end of the day M$ is in this to make money.

Could you imagine if Gamepass allowed you to Play all Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X Exclusives with free streaming to PC, Console, Mobile, Chrome Cast, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, plus TV apps? Not to mention if they allowed you to stream already purchased games? All with free multiplayer!? That would indeed be a game changer.

The company that requires batteries for wireless controllers pushing us to buy accessories is probably just making shit more expensive, not cheaper, for us consumers in the end. I’ve owned Xbox’s and I’m getting a Series X so back off me, just saying! At the end of the day M$ is in this to make money.
Yeah fuck me for enjoying a quick change of batteries instead of plugging in for an hour. This argument is the dumbest fucking thing next to cancelling people for them buying someone an unopened Pepsi.

Last edited:
Seems more like they prefer monthly or quarterly revenue for these services. Especially if the annual pass was more of a discount. It's probably a way to push for incremental revenue growth in their services department, or maybe for corporate accounting reasons we aren't privy to. Or they are going to have a single gamepass/xbox live sub soon and they are cleaning house. I really don't think it's because they want to start giving stuff away for free. Especially something that requires the infrastructure of Live. You think MS wants to just start eating that?

You think Microsoft is in a market position where they can charge people $100-120 a year just to play online? I don't.

Infrastructure and bandwidth costs aren't nearly what they used to be. Stadia lets you play online and stream games at 1080p absolutely free simply for buying a game on their platform. I think with their game streaming ambitions it is much more likely MS moves to match stadia rather than jack up their online fees.

Fbh

I'd be seriously surprised if they offered free multiplayer. It's a a big source of "easy" money for them, one that consumers have embraced and pretty much gotten used to now that every other major console (even the Nintendo one) is charging for it.

But it would sure be awesome and it would add a lot to the value proposition of the Series X. Even if you exclusively wait for the $30 deals, that's still $180 less over 6 years.

Dr Bass

You think Microsoft is in a market position where they can charge people $100-120 a year just to play online? I don't.

Infrastructure and bandwidth costs aren't nearly what they used to be. Stadia lets you play online and stream games at 1080p absolutely free simply for buying a game on their platform. I think with their game streaming ambitions it is much more likely MS moves to match stadia rather than jack up their online fees.

I'm not talking about raising fees per se, but just not allowing discounts via annual subs.

You don't think MS has substantial costs around creating and maintaining Xbox Live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom