• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scarlet to include an eight-core Zen 2 7-nm CPU

GermanZepp

From the Vandal (spain) article :

Brad Sams of Thurott - a medium that has revealed multiple details of Microsoft and Xbox - has commented on the first reliable details given the history of web leaks.

According to Sams, its launch would be targeting 2020 - AMD had dropped it - and would include an eight-core Zen 2 7-nm CPU, as well as the next-generation AMD GPU. In principle, it seems that the launch dates of Xbox Scarlett and PlayStation 5 and its features would be very similar

Source

Don't know if this relevant or who this guy is.
Close if old or rubbish.

Ar¢tos

I think specs being similar is expected (if both are going for the same price range), the customizations each company will make to the APU is what will set the differences (if any... It might be all about exclusives, marketing and approach next gen).

Three

It's going to be 2020. They will launch with Forza as always and that's why forza is not coming out in 2019.

ZywyPL

Banned
Since we're getting full AMD 7nm lineup (CPUs, GPUs, APUs) in the early 2019, November 2020 seems perfectly doable for next-gen consoles arrival. And as T Three mentioned - delaying Forza 8 isn't a coincident. Cannot wait for that next-gen 4K60 experience!

JLMC469

Banned
Since we're getting full AMD 7nm lineup (CPUs, GPUs, APUs) in the early 2019, November 2020 seems perfectly doable for next-gen consoles arrival. And as T Three mentioned - delaying Forza 8 isn't a coincident. Cannot wait for that next-gen 4K60 experience!

I imagine Halo will release around the same time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's going to be 2020. They will launch with Forza as always and that's why forza is not coming out in 2019.

Yeah when they said they were not making a Forza in 2019 and reworking Forza 7 for 2020 I personally thought that was the first real hint at a NextBox release date.

I mean since Forza 7 already runs 4k 60fps with HDR on the Xbox One X why else would you rework that game?

And with how good it currently looks on the X I can't wait to see it with all the bells and whistles on.

dorkimoe

I just want 60fps. I would be fine with 1440p if thats even possible on a tv? But after switching back and fourth from Xbox and PC playing state of decay, the FPS is noticeable

GermanZepp

I know nothing about tech, is an eight-core Zen 2 7-nm CPU good enough for next-gen jump if paired with a good gpu like 1070?

ethomaz

Banned
I know nothing about tech, is an eight-core Zen 2 7-nm CPU good enough for next-gen jump if paired with a good gpu like 1070?
It is a huge jump over actual gen because the 8 Jaguar cores are really that bad.

I wonder if it's 8 or 16 threads, all Ryzen's have HT AFAIK.
APUs uses custom hardware and SMP has little use for games (in some cases even degrade the performance) so I believe it is 8 cores 8 threads.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So I was hearing these rumors yesterday, and now the new "FUD" being spread is that the PS5 will use Zen 1 and the Scarlett Zen 2, when the "initial leaks" about the PS5 prior to THIS new leak was PS5 Zen 2 as well.

Oh internet. Even the "leaks" have "warz" like rumor/propagation. :pie_eyeroll:

FranXico

So I was hearing these rumors yesterday, and now the new "FUD" being spread is that the PS5 will use Zen 1 and the Scarlett Zen 2, when the "initial leaks" about the PS5 prior to THIS new leak was PS5 Zen 2 as well.

"Get the Facts"

ethomaz

Banned

I believe the rumors say that to fit the time of release... Zen 2 will take a bit more than than the Zen+ they will launch late this year... so if you are looking at 2019 release (PS5) then you need to look at Zen+ while a 2020 release you need to look at Zen2.

In case we will only know near the release.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I believe the rumors say that to fit the time of release... Zen 2 will take a bit more than than the Zen+ they will launch late this year... so if you are looking at 2019 release (PS5) then you need to look at Zen+ while a 2020 release you need to look at Zen2.

In case we will only know near the release.

If it is anything to go by with Schreier still having his sources, he was told by "several developers" that the PS5 is a 2020 target as well. And he said this about 3 weeks ago even after the no Sony at E3 announcement.

3 weeks ago we get rumors of the PS5 being Zen 2, and Schrierer saying devs have told him 2020, now this drops and a mysterious "Zen 1" gets tossed around (mainly by certain content streamers and Windows Central like sites) I noticed. ;)

Time will tell of course.

Last edited:
From the Vandal (spain) article :

Brad Sams of Thurott - a medium that has revealed multiple details of Microsoft and Xbox - has commented on the first reliable details given the history of web leaks.

According to Sams, its launch would be targeting 2020 - AMD had dropped it - and would include an eight-core Zen 2 7-nm CPU, as well as the next-generation AMD GPU. In principle, it seems that the launch dates of Xbox Scarlett and PlayStation 5 and its features would be very similar

Source

Don't know if this relevant or who this guy is.
Close if old or rubbish.
Uh, yeah, it's gonna be PS4/XB1 again. Similar architectures, probably not a huge difference in processing power. This is good for multiplat games. And it's also good that we're gonna get decent cpus.

Shin

Banned
It's gonna be the same pretty much from here on out IMO, unless time and/or money changes to that.
The differentiating factors will be money, internal company schedules and that with 2nd and 3rd parties, services, games, subscription models.
The days of exotic consoles died with PS3, well except for Nintendo until that changes also or 1 of the other 2 goes to nVidia or what's not.

EssKayZee

The real takeaway from all these rumors is both consoles will finally feature fairly competent, power efficient CPUs. Hopefully it will encourage developers to design their games around a 60 FPS target, because that's a more perceptible difference and a potential game changer IMO.

I just want 60fps. I would be fine with 1440p if thats even possible on a tv? But after switching back and fourth from Xbox and PC playing state of decay, the FPS is noticeable

60 FPS should absolutely be prioritized higher than resolution. 30 FPS is such a slog compared to games running at a higher framerate!

EssKayZee

Ill be there day one. So glad microsoft will be setting the standard for 4k at 60
Both Sony and Microsoft will be targeting 4K 60 FPS next gen, and they should be. Otherwise next gen consoles will not feel like a significant upgrade after PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Many games already look so good on these mid gen upgrades with native/adaptive/CB 4K but with 30 FPS. The real perceptible difference will be 60 FPS.

Last edited:

Calibos

Please let it be 3.5 ghz or higher...I am tired of power starved consoles. It will probably be 2.8 or something lower though...Hippies.

Shin

Banned
Pretty obvious it was going to be a 8 core.
Core for core emulation, ezpz bc.
It's safe to say that both next-gen consoles will have Zen2 with Zen3 features because they are being developed simultaneously.
Nor are they small players and play a pivotal role in AMD's strategy.

EssKayZee

Xbox OG and Xbox 360 didn't launch with Forza. Forza Motorsport was released in 2005 and Forza Motorsport 2 in 2007.

I imagine Halo will release around the same time.

Halo will probably be cross gen.

I wonder if it's 8 or 16 threads, all Ryzen's have HT AFAIK.

Most games don't benefit from HT so it will be 8c 8t most probably.

Please let it be 3.5 ghz or higher...I am tired of power starved consoles. It will probably be 2.8 or something lower though...Hippies.

7nm is more power efficient and produces less heat while providing more performance. I think 3.5 GHz or higher clocks are perfectly achievable for consoles this time around.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
60 FPS should absolutely be prioritized higher than resolution. 30 FPS is such a slog compared to games running at a higher framerate!
Unfortunaely, some devs always limit themselves to 30 fps for sake of "cinematic appeal"..... ND, Bungie, Insomniac. Hopefully, open world games will be 60 fps going forward like R* and Bethesda RPGs.

This gen basically has most shooters, racers, fighting games and indie games at 60 fps. Action games, SP narratives and RPGs are the main ones still mostly chugging at 30 fps. Just need these to bump up like the other genres.

Armorian

Banned
APUs uses custom hardware and SMP has little use for games (in some cases even degrade the performance) so I believe it is 8 cores 8 threads.

Xbox OG and Xbox 360 didn't launch with Forza. Forza Motorsport was released in 2005 and Forza Motorsport 2 in 2007.

Most games don't benefit from HT so it will be 8c 8t most probably.

Yeah but games right now are designed for 7/8 threads as consoles have that many, there are very few titles that scales well with more threads (Crysis 3 from 2012). With 16 threads devs can finaly enter multithreaded development and PC gaming will benefit from this too.

I think next gen is the end of 120+ fps gaming in PC as CPU power if fairly stagnant for years ports will not run much better than console versions (so 30 or 60fps).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess whoever is waiting for a PC CPU upgrade should go 8 minimum to ensure a long lasting build. I hope there are some good not too expensive 8 core models announced on January or whenever.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Why not 12 ?

Production cost and TDP savings. 7nm 8C Ryzen will have equivalent die size to 14nm Jaguar, while providing about four times the processing power. Plus, it's better to save the die space for beefier GPU, since we're going full throttle into 4K.

I thing 3.2-3.4 is the safest bet, due to TDP limitations. Which would still be twice of what PS4/XB1 have, paired with double (if not more) IPC - the devs will have plenty of processing power to play with.

base

Banned
I was hoping for 2019 but I knew they wouldn't have enough time to pack Zen2 with a good GPU.

4k60fps not possible. Ps4 was advertised as 1080p60 fps. How many games in 60 fps do you know? Even remasters are 30 fps.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was hoping for 2019 but I knew they wouldn't have enough time to pack Zen2 with a good GPU.

4k60fps not possible. Ps4 was advertised as 1080p60 fps. How many games in 60 fps do you know? Even remasters are 30 fps.

I googled it because I was interested, and it is actually a more sizable list that I thought before looking.

60 FPS Native 1080P PS4 Games List

Here is one for the Xbox on that site (though last updated over a year ago):

60 FPS Native 1080P Xbox one Games List

It's been proven at living room viewing distances that there is no marked improvement from 1080p to 4K. This is just plain physics.
Maybe if your couch is like 20 feet away. I can tell the difference from where I sit even with something like MGSV, a game that already looked clean at 1080p AND it was only upgraded to 1440p.

Edit: that said I'm not going to sit here and pretend 4k is like gods gift to gaming because it isnt that dramatic, but greater than 1080p res just looks nicer and is something I am looking forward to being standard.

Last edited:
It's been proven at living room viewing distances that there is no marked improvement from 1080p to 4K. This is just plain physics.

Its posts like these that start long resolution arguements. At least its popcorn worthy entertainment.

On topic though, new console's are always exciting. Hope the rumors are true for Xbox and Playstation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Circa 2013 ;)

giphy.gif

Ar¢tos

Why not 12 ?
Because there are size limits for the chip. 8 Zen cores at 7nm are about the size of the 8 jaguar cores from current gen.
And then there are the programming difficulties, the more cores you want to use the harder it is to optimise a game.

ZywyPL

Banned
No amds next gen is the architecture after navi according the the AMD roadmap

It'll be most likely Naviwith added some next-gen features, just like PS4 Pro had some Vega solutions added to the Polaris GPU.

is it still navi? this will mean that the ps5 and xbox6 will be very similiar.

TBH PS4, XB1, PS4 Pro and X1X are already pretty much the same machines, yet still there are some differences between them - clock speeds, memory type/speed/amount, GPU size, some chip customizations in Pro and X. So we can safely assumethe the same will happed this time around

Top Bottom