• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series gonna win the next generation - and I'll tell you why

PSYGN

Here's the TL;DR version:

yf14f80.jpg

You would have an avatar like that.

sainraja

Yep, Netflix is a failure. They must own it or it's useless, when in reality owning games you'll never touch again is useless. If one tickles you enough that you'll keep coming back to it, you can buy it on there at a discount...

Also, the All-Access program won't feel like a rental service because it seems like a monthly payment on an Xbox S or X. Game Pass will feel like a great perk/bonus.

Gaming isn't passive like watching Netflix is so I would say choice of titles is also going to be a factor. For me, services like Game Pass are good for trying out stuff that I would probably avoid otherwise. I don't think I am alone; point being, owning a set of titles you want won't always align with what is available on Game Pass.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Yep, Netflix is a failure. They must own it or it's useless, when in reality owning games you'll never touch again is useless. If one tickles you enough that you'll keep coming back to it, you can buy it on there at a discount...

Also, the All-Access program won't feel like a rental service because it seems like a monthly payment on an Xbox S or X. Game Pass will feel like a great perk/bonus.

Gamepass is on every gaming device?
Like the most popular game consoles ie the PS4 and Switch?

Mentioning Netflix shows you shouldn't be trying to argue a point on these types of things.
Not trying to be a dick..I'm just saying ;)

Id reckon most of the people who would be interested in the all access are the type who don't have the $299/$499 to buy the consoles and I assume the persons credit will have to be good no?

DavidGzz

Gamepass is on every gaming device?
Like the most popular game consoles ie the PS4 and Switch?

Mentioning Netflix shows you shouldn't be trying to argue a point on these types of things.
Not trying to be a dick..I'm just saying ;)

Id reckon most of the people who would be interested in the all access are the type who don't have the $299/$499 to buy the consoles and I assume the persons credit will have to be good no?

Xcloud is on android, tablets, and in the near future it will be on Windows, and on a TV app. Game Pass in on Xbox and PC's. Close enough. 15 million subs out of 50 million consoles sold and counting while PSNow has what, 2-3 million out of 110 million? I'd say it's doing amazing and will snowball over the next few years.

As far as All-Access, no, everyone I know who is using it is because they are already paying for Game Pass so another 10-20 bucks a month is a no-brainer for a new next gen console. Just because you don't want to lay down $500 on a console right now doesn't mean you're poor with bad credit lol

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Xcloud is on android, tablets, and in the near future it will be on Windows, and on a TV app. Game Pass in on Xbox and PC's. Close enough. 15 million subs out of 50 million consoles sold and counting while PSNow has what, 2-3 million out of 110 million? I'd say it's doing amazing and will snowball over the next few years.

As far as All-Access, no, everyone I know who is using it is because they are already paying for Game Pass so another 10-20 bucks a month is a no-brainer for a new next gen console. Just because you don't want to lay down $500 on a console right now doesn't mean you're poor with bad credit lol
Gamepass has a long way to go before it should even be mentioned in the same sentence as Netflix and again all of those devices mean nothing if it's not on the most popular gaming consoles.

Remember we are talking casuals and casuals don't even know what Gamepass is.

They do know what a new cheaper next gen console is :)

Id reckon most who are deciding to make payments don't have the cash up front.
Just a guess of course :pie_raybans:

Aa a guy who owns both a ps4 pro and a one x im so happy Microsoft is coming in with all guns blazing
In the end we gamers win
When Elders elderscrolls doom 3 wolf will release im pretty sure xbox will be right there with ps5 in good quality games + if all of them release on gamepass day 1 it baffles my mind that people don't see the value in gamepass

DavidGzz

Gamepass has a long way to go before it should even be mentioned in the same sentence as Netflix and again all of those devices mean nothing if it's not on the most popular gaming consoles.

Remember we are talking casuals and casuals don't even know what Gamepass is.

They do know what a new cheaper next gen console is :)

Id reckon most who are deciding to make payments don't have the cash up front.
Just a guess of course :pie_raybans:

Imagine if casuals don't even know what Game Pass is and it already has 15 million subs. Not the most popular console but Xbox Game streaming is the most popular game streaming service so until something else passes them up I'd say it's doing just fine. It went from 10 mil to 15, a 50% improvement in the last 5 months. A new gen is beginning and All-Access plus, the continued support, plus a new console gen launching with it will cause that number to improve even quicker. How long before it's at 25 mil+. Not too long from now. PS Now is on the most popular console and what has that gotten it? A 2% attach rate? Meanwhile Game Pass is at what, 30%?

Not having the cash up front to spend on a luxury doesn't make one poor or does it mean they have bad credit. There are many other priorities in life.

DavidGzz

They will not "win" because Xbox isn't popular enough globally to do it.

How popular was the original Xbox globally? Not at all, it sold 24 million. Then the 360 went on to sell 84 million. It's almost like your average gamer has no idea how popular something may become. Even analysts can be off by A LOT but random gamers on here will tell you exactly how it's going to be.

S0ULZB0URNE

Imagine if casuals don't even know what Game Pass is and it already has 15 million subs. Not the most popular console but Xbox Game streaming is the most popular game streaming service so until something else passes them up I'd say it's doing just fine. It went from 10 mil to 15, a 50% improvement in the last 5 months. A new gen is beginning and All-Access plus, the continued support, plus a new console gen launching with it will cause that number to improve even quicker. How long before it's at 25 mil+. Not too long from now. PS Now is on the most popular console and what has that gotten it? A 2% attach rate? Meanwhile Game Pass is at what, 30%?

Not having the cash up front to spend on a luxury doesn't make one poor or does it mean they have bad credit. There are many other priorities in life.
They don't know and id reckon most of the people MS is counting are "free trial subs" or $1 30 day cards.
Game Streaming isn't popular.

If it was the industry leader would put more effort into it.
They dominate without such services thriving.

Not agreeing that most who will choose to make payments isn't for a reason,likely $299 or $499 being a issue at the time.

You want to know what the XBox won't be the dominant console next gen? They lack worldwide appeal vs Sony. The PlayStation could be a terrible console with terrible games and it will still sell better because is has a broader global appeal.. simple as that.

S0ULZB0URNE

You want to know what the XBox won't be the dominant console next gen? They lack worldwide appeal vs Sony. The PlayStation could be a terrible console with terrible games and it will still sell better because is has a broader global appeal.. simple as that.
I can see them taking NA though.

DavidGzz

They don't know and id reckon most of the people MS is counting are "free trial subs" or $1 30 day cards.
Game Streaming isn't popular.

If it was the industry leader would put more effort into it.
They dominate without such services thriving.

Not agreeing that most who will choose to make payments isn't for a reason,likely $299 or $499 being a issue at the time.

Oops, I didn't mean to call it streaming, I meant Game Pass which is not streaming, Xcloud is, and yes, so far it is not popular.

I never said most will choose All-Access but I do think it will be VERY popular. As far as your first sentence, you have no proof so we can agree to disagree.

They almost tied with a pretty great system, the PS3. It wasn't terrible and didn't have terrible games. If what you said was true they'd lose guaranteed.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Oops, I didn't mean to call it streaming, I meant Game Pass which is not streaming, Xcloud is, and yes, so far it is not popular.

I never said most will choose All-Access but I do think it will be VERY popular. As far as your first sentence, you have no proof so we can agree to disagree.
I know that MS was non stop throwing "free trials" and discount subs at me and I never used them nor do I have any desire.

No I am not a casual gamer.. just saying.

GP isn't the savior of the XB brand that many think but good consumer friendly moves that MS has been making is and I am enjoying the ride,can't wait for XSX.

They almost tied with a pretty great system, the PS3. It wasn't terrible and didn't have terrible games. If what you said was true they'd lose guaranteed.
I prefer to play on my xbox and I think gamepass is a great service. The reality is that Sony will still blow them out of the water, unless they can grow their global appeal. The PlayStation brand has only gotten stronger this last gen and Sony has finished strong the last two generation. MS can't say the same thing. They essentially abandoned the 360 the last 2 years of its life and created a huge uphill battle at the beginning of the XBOX One. Could they outsell the PS5 in the US? Maybe, but not likely.

DavidGzz

I know that MS was non stop throwing "free trials" and discount subs at me and I never used them nor do I have any desire.

No I am not a casual gamer.. just saying.

GP isn't the savior of the XB brand that many think but good consumer friendly moves that MS has been making is and I am enjoying the ride,can't wait for XSX.

I don't think it is either but it's a huge bonus to being in the ecosystem for me at least, especially once XGS starts dropping games on XSX. Saying all this, I still want Demon's Souls above all else right now. Once I get my PS5 on the evening of Nov 11th, good bye world. I have the whole week off.

I prefer to play on my xbox and I think gamepass is a great service. The reality is that Sony will still blow them out of the water, unless they can grow their global appeal. The PlayStation brand has only gotten stronger this last gen and Sony has finished strong the last two generation. MS can't say the same thing. They essentially abandoned the 360 the last 2 years of its life and created a huge uphill battle at the beginning of the XBOX One. Could they outsell the PS5 in the US? Maybe, but not likely.

Well, you may be right but it isn't from lack of trying on MS part. They have a small console that supposedly the Japanese need for their tiny apartments, they have the cheapest entry point for all regions, they bought Zenimax, Xcloud should be a nice bonus for the countries like Korea and Japan that have great internet and a big mobile gaming fanbase, their BC initiative with smart delivery looks to be a lot better than Sony's program so far(admittedly we don't know how in depth it will be for PS5 but so far it's not looking so hot), etc.

We'll see, I really don't care who wins as long as they are both competitive since I'll own both consoles. I just want amazing games. Exciting times ahead.

Last edited:
I don't think it is either but it's a huge bonus to being in the ecosystem for me at least, especially once XGS starts dropping games on XSX. Saying all this, I still want Demon's Souls above all else right now. Once I get my PS5 on the evening of Nov 11th, good bye world. I have the whole week off.

Well, you may be right but it isn't from lack of trying on MS part. They have a small console that supposedly the Japanese need for their tiny apartments, they have the cheapest entry point for all regions, they bought Zenimax, Xcloud should be a nice bonus for the countries like Korea and Japan that have great internet and a big mobile gaming fanbase, their BC initiative with smart delivery looks to be a lot better than Sony's program so far(admittedly we don't know how in depth it will be for PS5 but so far it's not looking so hot), etc.

We'll see, I really don't care who wins as long as they are both competitive since I'll own both consoles. I just want amazing games. Exciting times ahead.
I don't care who "wins" either as I will also own both consoles again ... But the thread is about why the OP thinks the XBox will win.

donix2010

Neo Member
Didn't bother to finish reading it. Too long. If Xbox wants to win, they need to increase their presence elsewhere. Xbox brand is non existent outside of US and Europe.

Zathalus

I don't think Xbox can win the upcoming generation unless Sony really screws up, but I firmly believe it's going to be way closer then the One/PS4 generation. At a guess? 100 million PS4 vs 75/80 million Xbox.

whitesugar

Banned
this isn't happening. Playstation is coming off a hugely successful gen and despite what people here may think, have not made any major mistakes that would make many people think of switching. MS have still not made major inroads anywhere but US and UK. you are underestimating how many people in the world will get PS5 as a default. xbox also has had a big blow in Halo being shown off and looking so bad, and now of course doesn't even have a release date.

i think MS will have amassed an amazing library of console exclusives by the end of this gen, but their start is looking super weak. i'm not sure how much of a system seller Halo is anymore after two such average games, and after that you are looking at quite a while before you get the real wave of exclusives coming. i think MS will start being competitive with Sony first party from 2022, and by that time PS5 will be 10m+ consoles ahead.

the PS6/next Xbox gen i think MS will truly be competitive in hardware sales. not that they would care about that of course..

Wizz-Art

Many PS fanboys keep forgetting a generation lasts for years. In those years Game Pass on Xbox will become huge especially in countries like OP's. People will spread word of mouth and will showcase what Game Pass is all about to their innercircle. Besides that, word will come out that Xbox's BC is indefinately better because they offer all Xbox generation's BC and those games will all play better then they ever did on XSX/XSS. The BC team will start taking requests for 360 and OG games that aren't BC yet when the Series X/S have launched.

New games will be way cheaper because Xbox didn't jack up their prices so the same third party game will by default be cheaper on Xbox. The online infrastructure for consoles is the best on Xbox, they own their own servers and first party games very rarely leave so multiplayer support is guaranteed.

Peripherals like all Xbox One controllers will play flawlesly on the XSX/XSS so you can buy them second hand for cheaper then retail and don't have to worry for a build in battery that's maybe worn out because you can easily use your existing AA rechargeables,

I've heard of many previously PS owners that they'll switch to Xbox because Xbox just offers them more and the value is far better then what PS can offer. The handfull of exclusives they're gonna miss out on they'll take for granted, some will come to PC eventualy and the ZenziMax aquisition guarantees Xbox from having top of the line exclusives as well that will be day one on Game Pass.

Xbox All Access will without a doubt offer lot's of people/families a way to get a next gen console including a Game Pass subscription for a great price a month. I can see that taking off, All in all, this gen will be close more like the PS360 gen than what we saw this gen.

Last edited:

Leopold

Yeah, I had an X360 in Brazil at that time but I could afford the games. I can't remember people actually connecting themselves or buying Microsoft consoles tbqh, everyone I knew was buying a PS3.

Sure, Microsoft support makes it way easier to deal with their consoles, especially when the vast majority of the population play these games without a HINT of English - it is a Fifa Box. M$ translating some games to PT-BR was huge.

But still, Xbox Series S might get an edge due to its cheaper price, and considering the dumpster fire that AmLat is right now, with local currencies crashing left and right, this is a fairly conservative prediction.

OTOH, the vast majority won't even know what official support is, they'll buy a smuggled console lmao.

Last edited:
Yeah, piracy is a system seller.
Back in the day, when I was a kid, all my friends had a PlayStation, not because the console had better games, but because you could buy pirated games with pennies, and majority of parents don't want to invest too much money on that.

It's wrong, but you can't deny the boost that consoles had with piracy.

Today, I don't know if it still holds true, but there're two points to have into consideration:
  • 100 dollars cheaper (a lot of money in third world countries).
  • The fact that majority of people in third world countries don't have 4k TVs (majority still have 720p TVs).
Those two points put the xbox in a really good position going forward.

yeah but dreamcast was far more easy to pirate(no modchip needed) and was very cheap compared to PS2 yet PS2 won, while piracy sure helps it doesnt guarantee winning

cormack12

Gold Member
I feel lots of people are just responding to the title and not the OP, lol

Microsoft have clearly got a focus on getting firm footholds on those developing/emerging markets. They have cheap launch hardware, cloud services for those without hardware but a smartphone, and value for money on the subs service. Is that enough to win a generation? Too early to tell, they're making a play and potential market growth doesn't always translate into market growth for a number of reasons.

Plus Sony pretty much have the Western market dominated at this time. They will have a lot of users who organically just migrate to the latest platform. I feel this is the last big generation that will be in 'flux' as well. I think next generation there will be a lot more fluidity with cross platform character and progress migration in place, people will have larger digital libraries etc.

Roufianos

Presumably they'll do better than last-gen, maybe there's an outside chance they can win in the US. No way they lead sales globally, I think even they accept that behind the scenes.

And mods will close this pointless thread soon. I tell you why coz its pointless thread and you clearly trying to start console wars.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm getting 2006 vibes from this generation

Nobody thought x360/ps3 was going to be as close as it was

"how could sony lose the PS2 is unstoppable all those people are going to automatically buy PS3's duh" lmao

Alphagear

Other than NA in one generation, Playstation has outsold Xbox everywhere.

I can see it doing well in NA but the rest of the world? No chance.

Alphagear

I'm getting 2006 vibes from this generation

Nobody thought x360/ps3 was going to be as close as it was

"how could sony lose the PS2 is unstoppable all those people are going to automatically buy PS3's duh" lmao

One year headstart and being far more expensive.

I doubt we will see a repeat.

NA will be alot closer in sales. I expect Microsoft will get some of it's Market share back in NA.

"Don't Compare GamePass to Netflix"

Lol, Netflix started in 2007 and had under 10 million subscribers in 2008 1 year later.

Microsoft is currently following the Netflix trajectory by actually doing BETTER and people are crying at consumer's pointing this out
and telling them not to compare the two?! LOL.

WHY!

At the time - Netflix was the only streaming service of it's kind, began with 100 shows old and new on it's streaming service and was considered EXTREMELY successful at 9 million subscriber's within it's first year.

And you lot are saying not to compare the 2? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

WOW I'm glad I'm a PC gamer first and always.

approximately 9.4 million subscribers

On December 31, 2008, Netflix had approximately 9.4 million subscribers.

GamePass currently Exceed's these numbers by 5 million and it hasn't even launched a single blockbuster first party next gen title on this platform. Not one.

And at the same time you're attempting to say "PEOPLE DON'T LIKE CHEAP SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES THEY LIKE BUYING THEIR GAMES"

LOL Are you saying this because PS4 has been doing MISERABLY with it's version of GamePass or because the folk at Sony came out and said

"Value Conscious Consumer's who want a cheap subscription model for first party games don't matter to us because a subscription model for First Party Next Gen Launch titles is not
a financially viable solution"

LOL ARE YOU LOT SERIOUS!?

I'm going to compare Netflix to Gamepass every chance I get now!

By the way you also BLATANTLY IGNORE the fact that this subscription service WILL NOT KEEP YOU FROM PURCHASING A GAME IF YOU CHOOSE!

WOW lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom