• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series gonna win the next generation - and I'll tell you why

OnionSnake

Banned
Having the main console constantly sold out and the service on which they betting everything ever-growing "doesn't look good"? lol ooookay
As far as "winning" the consoles sales target? yeah not looking great. Gamepass is doing well, I'm a subscriber as well, but it seems they are transitioning to a service company than a hardware focused company. Guess we will see how that goes.

MonarchJT

Banned
As far as "winning" the consoles sales target? yeah not looking great. Gamepass is doing well, I'm a subscriber as well, but it seems they are transitioning to a service company than a hardware focused company. Guess we will see how that goes.
It is difficult to judge the sales target if they sell everything they can produce. It is clear that the ps5 had months of production lead. With this I am not saying that Sony will not sell more consoles than Microsoft. They absolutely will. period. But thanks to gamepass Microsoft is no longer tied to the number of consoles sold I repeat the Xbox series x | s could sell the same amount as Xbox One (we all know it will do more) and just with that would still maintain an absolute advantage in user reach over Sony, this also with the ps5 selling more than the ps4 (improbable due to covid) If Sony releases all games on PC, things will obviously change. All Microsoft has to do is release games with Bethesda and all the new studios that will get people to subscribe to gamepass ... done this, they'll make a lot of money.

Last edited:
You don't know that they haven't done that.

You have no idea what they have done.

That. Is. The. Point.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Actually, no, it's clear some developers don't like it. Hence the public comments.
I'm pretty sure if they have worked with the platform developer they would not have had the issues they complained about. It's clear they aren't using sampler feedback streaming, or variable rate shading because the XSX isn't using those features either. You choose to focus on negatives which again are only about the XSS not having lots of graphic power not that the XSS is preventing them from making a XSX or PS5 version of the game. Some developers complained other did not. You chose to see the glass half empty. Your point is faux concern which is par for the course.

It is difficult to judge the sales target if they sell everything they can produce. It is clear that the ps5 had months of production lead. With this I am not saying that Sony will not sell more consoles than Microsoft. They absolutely will. period. But thanks to gamepass Microsoft is no longer tied to the number of consoles sold I repeat the Xbox series x | s could sell the same amount as Xbox One (we all know it will do more) and just with that would still maintain an absolute advantage in user reach over Sony, also if the ps5 would sell more than the ps4 (improbable due to covid) If Sony releases all games on PC, things will obviously change. All Microsoft has to do is release games with Bethesda and all the new studios that will get people to subscribe to gamepass ... done this, they'll make a lot of money.
It was smart of MS to move to a metric that they could find more success. Gamepass is a better way to go than selling boxes.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
I'm pretty sure if they have worked with the platform developer they would not have had the issues they complained about. It's clear they aren't using sampler feedback streaming, or variable rate shading because the XSX isn't using those features either. You choose to focus on negatives which again are only about the XSS not having lots of graphic power not that the XSS is preventing them from making a XSX or PS5 version of the game. Some developers complained other did not. You chose to see the glass half empty. Your point is faux concern which is par for the course.
Wow, a lot of ridiculous comments in that post. Not uncommon have to say, but some real gems amongst that.

I'm pretty sure if they have worked with the platform developer they would not have had the issues they complained about

Prove to me how you know this. You can't can you.. because you don't have a clue what they have done or tried.

You're seriously reaching, if having to go to that levels of ignorance to make a point. Par for the course though.

Effectively: "I can't prove it. I just know they haven't".

It's clear they aren't using sampler feedback streaming, or variable rate shading because the XSX isn't using those features either.
No XSX is using VRS?.. well that's bullshit. I guess you haven't seen Dirt 5 or Gears 5:Hivebusters using it then.

Some developers complained other did not. You chose to see the glass half empty.

What..? Does every developer have to complain for it to be an issue now?

It's the start of the generation and already numerous comments. And it's only going to get worse as generation develops. You're going to have a lot of defending/spinning to do dude, if this stream of negative publicity keeps pace.

Your point is faux concern which is par for the course.

Oh right, glad you cleared that up for me.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

My point is it's going to hold back the generation.. which numerous people predicted and developers are speaking out about it as well now. But ignore them all if you want, live your life in ignorance and block out all negative comments because you very clearly can't handle them. Even when the complaints come from developers themselves.. that's interesting.

How about using evidence and facts next time, huh? It will be a refreshing change of pace.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
It’s not some shady conspiracy, they just want to show figures that show how things are for all things they’re doing instead of just Xbox. Xbox hw numbers is interesting if you want to compare consoles. But since a lost Xbox sale isn’t a lost customer for MS if they choose to play on PC instead it would instantly look bad compared to the competition even with the same number of users.
I didn't say it was a shady conspiracy. I even called it a prudent business decision. Only a bit deceptive since it masks Xbox's full picture in the industry. But like I said, Microsoft has never been the only one to engage in such practices. My comments are not to personally cast Xbox in a negative light. Simply to explain why they don't want people knowing those numbers.

Also, a gamer on PC doesn't mean Microsoft's gaming division benefits. A PC gamer not using Gamepass, not buying off the Windows store, or not buying Microsoft made titles really doesn't bring their game division anything. Microsoft doesn't have license fees for other companies making games compatible for Windows.

Fredrik

Also, a gamer on PC doesn't mean Microsoft's gaming division benefits. A PC gamer not using Gamepass, not buying off the Windows store, or not buying Microsoft made titles really doesn't bring their game division anything. Microsoft doesn't have license fees for other companies making games compatible for Windows.
I was thinking about the group of gamers who say that Xbox isn’t needed since all exclusives are on PC. It used to be a common way of thinking and that group wouldn’t show in Xbox hardware figures. But they show in MAU figures.

But maybe we need a poll to see how common the PC is among nextgen console gamers?

Varteras

Gold Member
I was thinking about the group of gamers who say that Xbox isn’t needed since all exclusives are on PC. It used to be a common way of thinking and that group wouldn’t show in Xbox hardware figures. But they show in MAU figures.

But maybe we need a poll to see how common the PC is among nextgen console gamers?
I would certainly like to see numbers on that kind of thing. I'm sure there are a fair few PC gamers who use Gamepass or buy Microsoft games. I was subbed to Gamepass for awhile through PC and I own Killer Instinct and several Halo games through Steam. So I've certainly contributed to their numbers. Yeah, if in the future someone wants to play a Fallout game well then it doesn't matter what platform it's on. You're ultimately providing to Microsoft now and that's going to feed into their metrics even if the next game is still on PlayStation or Nintendo.

SLB1904

Banned
I mean they could "win" if they make ALL BETHESDA games exclusive to Xbox and PC. If not Xbox will be in the same spot as they were in 2013.
They have to make exclusive to xbox period. Releasing on pc isnt helping their case because that's where the majority of Bethesda consumers are

Wow, a lot of ridiculous comments in that post. Not uncommon have to say, but some real gems amongst that.

Prove to me how you know this. You can't can you.. because you don't have a clue what they have done or tried.

You're seriously reaching, if having to go to that levels of ignorance to make a point. Par for the course though.

Effectively: "I can't prove it. I just know they haven't".

No XSX is using VRS?.. well that's bullshit. I guess you haven't seen Dirt 5 or Gears 5:Hivebusters using it then.

What..? Does every developer have to complain for it to be an issue now?

It's the start of the generation and already numerous comments. And it's only going to get worse as generation develops. You're going to have a lot of defending/spinning to do dude, if this stream of negative publicity keeps pace.

Oh right, glad you cleared that up for me.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

My point is it's going to hold back the generation.. which numerous people predicted and developers are speaking out about it as well now. But ignore them all if you want, live your life in ignorance and block out all negative comments because you very clearly can't handle them. Even when the complaints come from developers themselves.. that's interesting.

How about using evidence and facts next time, huh? It will be a refreshing change of pace.
Did the developers of Gears 5 or Dirt 5 complain about the the XSS holding back their vision? I was specifically talking about developers who complained. Why don't you prove that the complaining developers used the features available to when developing for the XSS. I'm sure you can't. Funny you'd mention Gears 5 it was a title that met the resolution target for the XSS AND it had a 120fps mode too. Proof the XSS is ruining the generation right?

It is total nonsense that the XSS is the thing holding back the generation when it can do things some PCs can't do. It is hyperbolic nonsense spewed by people who simply do not like the Xbox brand. Which is fine but when you hear that nonsense the people making the comment have to be taken into consideration. Sony fans complaining about the Xbox? Yeah those guys are totally objective. Just looking out for MS and Xbox fans of course!

You did not even quote the complaining developers correctly. Again they were taking about the challenge of XSS development specifically not generational development across-the-board. That would be insane. Regardless you will continue to see what you want and I will continue to want to see actual evidence. You have evidence of the features of the series consoles not aiding in the RAM issue one dev commented on I'd like to see it.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's very difficult to defeat the incumbent at their own game.

If MS wants to "win", I would suggest shifting the paradigm. Which is what I think they'll try to do.

Changing the game a little, away from hardware sales, and more towards software services.. It's their best shot imo.

Trying to be clear. Is the XSS super available and a failure or is it constantly sold out?
Both, they make little of them and they are the most available "next gen" console.

I do think the Series S would be higher in the list if they made more, the Switch is the only console that is not
Having the main console constantly sold out and the service on which they betting everything ever-growing "doesn't look good"? lol ooookay
They're not sold out anymore, I could have gotten both many times last week without even trying.... and they still sold maybe less than half (both combined) of what Sony sold for their PS5 SKUs... Anyway, MS apparently doesn't even care about hardware sales. So far it looks a lot like last gen.
nd9zyxp.png

GamePass: sure, enjoy it.

I would say that if xbox is to get a real boost it will be when their studios start delivering, in 2 or 3 years. Regular people will pay attention, if the games they make actually sell consoles. For now the xbox lives on PR and Tweets.

Derktron

Banned
They have to make exclusive to xbox period. Releasing on pc isnt helping their case because that's where the majority of Bethesda consumers are
Ohh boy your one of those fools who are misinformed and you just piss me off when idiots say this okay let's do a history lesson on Microsoft on what they own.

Ready?

Good.......................................

Microsoft + Windows 10 + Xbox = A combined ecosystem.

I don't understand why the fuck do people still get salty over Microsoft porting games to PC through Windows 10. For fuck sakes dude. There is nothing wrong with them trying to combine their ecosystem. Xbox games on PC does not hurt them. It helps them in a way. Because the PC market is small compared to what it is on consoles only because PC gaming is not touched upon with the common consumer. Jesus people like you take it seriously when saying this.

Derktron

Banned
Both, they make little of them and they are the most available "next gen" console.

I do think the Series S would be higher in the list if they made more, the Switch is the only console that is not

They're not sold out anymore, I could have gotten both many times last week without even trying.... and they still sold maybe less than half (both combined) of what Sony sold for their PS5 SKUs... Anyway, MS apparently doesn't even care about hardware sales. So far it looks a lot like last gen.
nd9zyxp.png

I would say that if xbox is to get a real boost it will be when their studios start delivering, in 2 or 3 years. Regular people will pay attention, if the games they make actually sell consoles. For now the xbox lives on PR and Tweets.
You sure about that bro, the console is still out of stock in stores like Walmart.

Last edited:
🤣

Maybe to you it is. I keep seeing this downplaying such as that when their studios start delivering, or the concern for their games. For living on PR and tweets, the cbox sure gets a lot of games. Halo Infinite and Flight Simulator are two AAA games coming to Xbox this year.

Meanwhile the PS5 can't even match that.
Horizon 2 - Delayed.
GT7 - Delayed.
God of War Ragnarok -Likely Delayed.
What does the PS5 even have coming out in the next year besides indies? That's an incredibly long time to wait for before full games actually release. How long does Sony expect a PS3 remake, a tech Demo, and a game expansion to hold people over? No wonder they're in no hurry to fix their storage solution problems. Not like there's anything to use it for anyway.

Yet it's the Xbox living on PR and tweets. 🤣

What does the PS5 even have coming out in the next year besides indies? That's an incredibly long time to wait for before full games actually release. How long does Sony expect a PS3 remake, a tech Demo, and a game expansion to hold people over? No wonder they're in no hurry to fix their storage solution problems. Not like there's anything to use it for anyway.
Sony has a track record, the early year of two in the PS4 lifecycle were exactly like this.
You actually made my point.
Horizon 2 - Delayed.
GT7 - Delayed.

So? Delays are no problem
Maybe to you it is. I keep seeing this downplaying such as that when their studios start delivering, or the concern for their games. For living on PR and tweets, the cbox sure gets a lot of games. Halo Infinite and Flight Simulator are two AAA games coming to Xbox this year.
Granted for Flight Simulator, it looks nice (if out of place on a console)... Halo is the laughing stock of the industry by now.

You sure about that bro, the console is still out of stock in stores like Walmart.

Well to be fair he did say both so it can be a failure and sold out at the same time. He has all his bases covered no matter how things turn out. Still for an easily available system I can't find one within 250 miles of me.

Derktron

Banned
Well to be fair he did say both so it can be a failure and sold out at the same time. He has all his bases covered no matter how things turn out. Still for an easily available system I can't find one within 250 miles of me.
......no it’s still out of stock even for PS5.

ArcaneNLSC

🤣

Horizon 2 - Delayed.
GT7 - Delayed.

its like PR and tweets is the new thoughts and prayers

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The last time I saw stock of XS was Costco Canada got a batch in about week or so ago. Then it sold out by next day, nd now is out of stock again.

If I wanted to be a stock tracking asshole for console warring, I would have taken a screen capture the day they had stock, claim XS has been available all year, and then hope nobody checks to see it's sold out.

The next time a site has PS5 stock (at some point there will be some) take a screen capture or wait for someone who will do the same (someone will). Upload it on game sites and then claim PS5 has been available all year as there's not enough demand to make it out of stock.

Sony has a track record, the early year of two in the PS4 lifecycle were exactly like this.

You actually made my point.

So? Delays are no problem

Granted for Flight Simulator, it looks nice (if out of place on a console)... Halo is the laughing stock of the industry by now.
I only stated the facts bud. Your opinions to them really aren't relevent.

MonarchJT

Banned

nd9zyxp.png

I see you keep pulling numbers out of your ass and insist on passing them off as statistics. The PlayStation had more stock to send in stores.Period. I could have bought too ps5 at least 3 times but I'm not so dull as to insist saying that main next gen consoles are not sold out all over the world. It is obvious that the supplies arrive, the production is not stopped but it is only slow. I assure you that they sell new ps5s every day in the world and someone buys them. That there is more demand for ps5 than xsx, this is another matter. But as I told you and I have explained 200 times Ms doesn't care to follow Sony on this race. We will be able to talk about an Xbox problem when the XsX won't sell and if gamepass won't grow.
Sure i enjoy gamepass and the most exciting thing that has been happening in the gaming world since playing monkey island on ms-dos.
And is for this reason PsNow which was launched in 2014 has only 2.2 million subscribers and GamePass which was born in 2017 (during the bad Xbo generation) has at this point 20+ millions.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Sony fans complaining about the Xbox
Are you not able to write a single post without shoehorning in a mention of Sony or its fans?

Especially when they are not even a factor with multiple developers complaining about XSS.

It always reads like a bitter fanboy ranting.

Did the developers of Gears 5 or Dirt 5 complain about the the XSS holding back their vision?

So you've moved the goal posts again, classic straw man.

But at least you have acknowledged that XSX games are using VRS now, where as previously you had written that NONE of them do.

Some progress made at least.

Facts help.

Why don't you prove that the complaining developers used the features available to when developing for the XSS

Is this your response after I asked you for proof? How mature. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You said you were sure they didn't ask for help. I thought you could actually prove that, since you was so sure.

Strange that you can't back up your ignorant claims. At all.

Unlike you I don't believe that all developers who speak out are incompetent, if they say it's a limiting factor to development I have no reason to believe them. Especially when it's more than a few developers saying the same thing.

Funny you'd mention Gears 5 it was a title that met the resolution target for the XSS AND it had a 120fps mode too. Proof the XSS is ruining the generation right?
It's a cross gen game dude. You can't seriously be using that as a poster child for next generation games :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

It is total nonsense that the XSS is the thing holding back the generation when it can do things some PCs can't do. It is hyperbolic nonsense spewed by people who simply do not like the Xbox brand

Actually the developers are the ones complaining. At least get that part right.. so they don't like the Xbox brand?

Is that your token response to anything negative about Xbox. Whoever speaks ill of Xbox, can be ignored as they are spewing nonsense because don't like the brand. Very convincing.

Last edited:
Are you not able to write a single post without shoehorning in a mention of Sony or its fans?

Especially when they are not even a factor with multiple developers complaining about XSS.

It always reads like a bitter fanboy ranting.

So you've moved the goal posts again, classic straw man.

But at least you have acknowledged that XSX games are using VRS now, where as previously you had written that NONE of them do.

Some progress made at least.

Facts help.

Is this your response after I asked you for proof? How mature. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You said you were sure they didn't ask for help. I thought you could actually prove that, since you was so sure.

Strange that you can't back up your ignorant claims. At all.

Unlike you I don't believe that all developers who speak out are incompetent, if they say it's a limiting factor to development I have no reason to believe them. Especially when it's more than a few developers saying the same thing.

It's a cross gen game dude. You can't seriously be using that as a poster child for next generation games :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Actually the developers are the ones complaining. At least get that part right.. so they don't like the Xbox brand?

Is that your token response to anything negative about Xbox. Whoever speaks ill of Xbox, can be ignored as they are spewing nonsense because don't like the brand. Very convincing.
I said the developers COMPLAINING about the XSS did not use VRS. You then toss out Gears 5 and Dirt 5. Again did those devs complain or not? Why is this so hard for you to understand? No one is moving the goal posts. YOU brought up Gears 5!😂 I'll just keep making the same point I've made from the beginning. Devs complaining aren't using the XSS features and there is no evidence they have worked with MS to address their concerns. That is silly. MS seems to be able to use the XSS just fine and I'm CERTAIN they will help any dev that needs it.

The biggest people complaining are Sony fans on this forum looking to make something out of nothing because console wars are serious business. That's why I bring them up you have to look at the people talking. It's NOT customers, it's Xbox haters. They aren't credible. It's really not that complicated. Just like the storage 'issues' the XSS supposedly has, although easily handled, vs storage issues that do exist on other more expensive consoles people such as yourself don't mention. The XSS wasn't created for devs to get maximum performance from anyway it was for gamers on a budget. You might not like that but thankfully MS didn't ask you. If you only have a PS5 this whole thing is moot anyway.

I said the developers COMPLAINING about the XSS did not use VRS. You then toss out Gears 5 and Dirt 5. Again did those devs complain or not? Why is this so hard for you to understand? No one is moving the goal posts. YOU brought up Gears 5!😂 I'll just keep making the same point I've made from the beginning. Devs complaining aren't using the XSS features and there is no evidence they have worked with MS to address their concerns. That is silly. MS seems to be able to use the XSS just fine and I'm CERTAIN they will help any dev that needs it.

The biggest people complaining are Sony fans on this forum looking to make something out of nothing because console wars are serious business. That's why I bring them up you have to look at the people talking. It's NOT customers, it's Xbox haters. They aren't credible. It's really not that complicated. Just like the storage 'issues' the XSS supposedly has, although easily handled, vs storage issues that do exist on other more expensive consoles people such as yourself don't mention. The XSS wasn't created for devs to get maximum performance from anyway it was for gamers on a budget. You might not like that but thankfully MS didn't ask you. If you only have a PS5 this whole thing is moot anyway.

I mean, SonyGAF tools apparently need to constantly self own about a console they *don't* own with such vapid, clueless regularity they are now reviving and trolling necro threads. Those of us who can afford to and enjoy gaming on all platforms can rightly look at these freaks like the hairy palmed clown show that they are.... 🤡 🤷‍♂️😅

dcmk7

Banned

It would help if you can follow an argument.

I brought up Gears 5 because it uses VRS:messenger_tears_of_joy:. Which happens to be a cross gen title.

Devs complaining aren't using the XSS features and there is no evidence they have worked with MS to address their concerns.

Ignorance without any kind of proof. To suit your straw man agenda.

The biggest people complaining are Sony fans on this forum looking to make something out of nothing because console wars are serious business. That's why I bring them up you have to look at the people talking. It's NOT customers, it's Xbox haters. They aren't credible

Once again it's the DEVELOPERS who are complaining.

Nothing to do with Sony or its fans. Drop the silly conspiracy theory. It's utterly embarrassing and makes you come across as super desperate.

And I see you touched on storage. How is that revelant to this discussion? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Your argument is all over the place, especially when having to resort to PlayStationToo when run out things to contribute.

If you're going to try and attempt to justify your ignorant claims at least try and bring some facts. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Series X/S will outsell PlayStation 5 in NA but only by a few million and outsell Xbox 360 but in no way, shape or form will it outsell PlayStation 5 overall. Just isn't going to happen. Could the user install base on Xbox be bigger than PlayStation 5? Possible if X-Cloud takes off and they improve the PC side of things but otherwise, chances of that happening are slim to none.

Methos#1975

I love my XSX and I'm sure I'll love the PS5 if I can ever find one, but let's be serious, Nintendo already has this in the bag. Sony and MS are in a race for 2nd place and nothing else.

MonarchJT

Banned
Selling more consoles doesn't mean you win. The Switch already made Nintendo more profits than PS4 ever did for Sony.
Exactly. On here there are people still thinking that Ps3 won against the x360 just because sold more boxes imagine that idiocy. They did not understand that if Sony could go back it would prefer to sell a toaster instead of that money black hole that was the Ps3.

daniel-ahmad.jpg

Ps3 2006 / 2013
Still fanboys singing all the day long "but but but console salessss" nonsense
hw sales =/ profits

Last edited:

mxbison

That doesn't make any sense though. Windows PC = Microsoft

People always act like MS is just nice and does PC gamers a favor but it's simply their platform (well except for those 1% Linux users....).

They would be giving up profit to win a meaningless console war.

SLB1904

Banned
Ohh boy your one of those fools who are misinformed and you just piss me off when idiots say this okay let's do a history lesson on Microsoft on what they own.

Ready?

Good.......................................

Microsoft + Windows 10 + Xbox = A combined ecosystem.

I don't understand why the fuck do people still get salty over Microsoft porting games to PC through Windows 10. For fuck sakes dude. There is nothing wrong with them trying to combine their ecosystem. Xbox games on PC does not hurt them. It helps them in a way. Because the PC market is small compared to what it is on consoles only because PC gaming is not touched upon with the common consumer. Jesus people like you take it seriously when saying this.
Me salty over porting games to pc? Bruh I'm fucking laughing. The fact that I wont pay more than a£10 for a Bethesda game is win. Also whatever makes you feel better about xbox windows ecosystem bullshit. We are talking about xbox here.

MonarchJT

Banned
Me salty over porting games to pc? Bruh I'm fucking laughing. The fact that I wont pay more than a£10 for a Bethesda game is win. Also whatever makes you feel better about xbox windows ecosystem bullshit. We are talking about xbox here.
gaming revenue from xbox one was in positive and it was the shittiest gen they could have. Don't worry about them . Xbox today is console + windows pc + xcloud. You can't talk about Xbox without taking the other two into account. The number of consoles sold at the end of the gen could be half that of Sony and still be able to make Ms earn more. For this reason it is highly stupid to compare the two business models without context, Sony is forced to sell hw to have a usersbase (at the moment it sells the ps5 at a loss) Microsoft has taken another path . We are not in 2013 but clearly Ms is more than happy that XsX is selling gnagbuster being constantly sold out

Last edited:
People trying to dissmiss hardware sales are hilarious - every person who owns xbox is potential subscriber to their services unlike pc/mobile space where there are tons of alternatives.

People always act like MS is just nice and does PC gamers a favor but it's simply their platform (well except for those 1% Linux users....).

That's no what happened at all.

Microsoft had to be dragged kicking and screaming to even start supporting their own pc platform due to abysmal Xbox One sales and even then they tried to fuck pc gamers by trying to enforce their crappy store.

Reactions: GHG

mxbison

People trying to dissmiss hardware sales are hilarious - every person who owns xbox is potential subscriber to their services unlike pc/mobile space where there are tons of alternatives.

Microsoft had to be dragged kicking and screaming to even start supporting their own pc platform due to abysmal Xbox One sales and even then they tried to fuck pc gamers by trying to enforce their crappy store.

Well yeah they'd rather have you on Xbox in the past because of the live subscriptions. Now with GamePass I doubt they care where you play, limiting exclusives to console would just mean less sales/subs.

And yes the Windows store is a fucking embarassing piece of trash. The Xbox PC App sucks a little less but still gets dragged down due to being linked to the Windows store.

SLB1904

Banned
gaming revenue from xbox one was in positive and it was the shittiest gen they could have. Don't worry about them . Xbox today is console + windows pc + xcloud. You can't talk about Xbox without taking the other two into account. The number of consoles sold at the end of the gen could be half that of Sony and still be able to make Ms earn more. For this reason it is highly stupid to compare the two business models without context, Sony is forced to sell hw to have a usersbase (at the moment it sells the ps5 at a loss) Microsoft has taken another path . We are not in 2013 but clearly Ms is more than happy that XsX is selling gnagbuster being constantly sold out
This has nothing to do with what I said...

A2una1

I also think raising the price for day one purchases will not be beneficial for selling software. Do I want to play returnal and ratchet and clank? yes. At a price point of 80 euros. Nope. This means I will wait for them beeing on sale. So only the triple A titles I think I don't want to wait out on will be purchased day one.

I think this could end up beeing not healthy for experimental titles not selling that well just because the price is to high...

NahaNago

Still too early to call this gen. With Microsoft's acquisition they will have a steady supply of games next year. The only issue is that I doubt they will be AAA level stuff. and now with Covid, Sony has the excuse of officially pushing everything back to 2022 when Microsoft should be in full swing of releasing exclusive first party games. Who knows what Nintendo is going to do. What I would like for them to do is go back to the clam shell style so they can port all of those ds and 3ds games to the next gen switch.

MonarchJT

Banned

No one is "dismissing" console hardware sales but it's clear that Sony and Microsoft are in different position because of their model ...a Sony game with a low ps5 userbase will have poor sales a xbox game without any xbox console sold..could still sell millions

Azurro

Banned

You do know Windows is an open platform? MS doesn't make any money from any Windows application, nor do they make any money from any digital storefront that isn't their own. Putting their titles or not on PC is irrelevant for them, as gaming on Linux or Macs is not an alternative to Windows, so Windows sales are unaffected. The reason why they are putting their games on PC is because they are trying to increase their userbase through Gamepass, as they know they can't beat Sony or Nintendo at the hardware game.

I don't think it will ever become profitable, given that aside from the daily losses, they had to invest 7 billion to acquire Bethesda. I could be wrong of course, but I doubt they will reach a 50 million paying subscribers. Gamers are a notoriously conservative bunch. The biggest change in 30 years in game distribution is that half the people are fine with not getting the boxes the games come in.

Azurro

Banned
No one is "dismissing" console hardware sales but it's clear that Sony and Microsoft are in different position because of their model ...a Sony game with a low ps5 userbase will have poor sales a xbox game without any xbox console sold..could still sell millions

That's a fundamental misunderstanding of the company you are a fan of. First of all, if MS makes a game primarily for Gamepass, then what they are hoping for is that the total investment of all games for it is less than the revenue they get from subscribers. If the game helps to keep subscribers then it could be called a success, but it doesn't mean it "sold millions", it just means that it was not mediocre enough to get people to leave the service.

Second of all, the service is in the red, they are not making a single dollar from it. You can't just say "oh, MS is just measuring things differently now", if they still are failing in your new measurement. They are just hoping the service gets to a point where it's profitable, though they are constrained by the dwindling Xbox install base and I don't know how many gamers want to stop buying their games so often on Steam and just subscribe to GamePass.

Azurro

Banned
Yes, but it's not free....

Someone buying a gaming PC instead of an Xbox is still a win for Microsoft.

Sure, but my point is that whoever buys a gaming PC is doing so regardless of MS putting their games there, so it doesn't increase or decrease the amount of copies Windows sells every month. MS is trying to sell you GamePass, that's why they port their games.

Top Bottom