• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series only supports limited backwards compatible games across multiple generations at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
500 games? That's like 99% of the library right?

Jokes aside, I'm sure they will release updates to include more titles regularly.

Dr.Morris79

pZUmBaw.gif

Play thousands of games across four generations of content

Playing your favorite games and franchises across four generations of Xbox was a key tenet for us in the next generation of console gaming. This commitment means that you will have access to thousands of titles across four generations of content – from Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

Last edited by a moderator:

martino

in fact it's this video or ms who is not clear here ...
is there xb1 bc without enhancements ?

Last edited:
Oh no, that's not very pro-consumer!

Ah, you would take the bait Bryan, well done.

We have plenty to keep you busy until Chief arrives: There will be thousands of games to play, spanning four generations, when Xbox Series X launches globally this November and over 100 optimized for Xbox Series X titles, built to take full advantage of our most powerful console, are planned for this year. And with brand new console features like hardware-accelerated Direct X raytracing, framerates up to 120 frames per second, faster loading times, and Quick Resume for multiple games, playing will look and feel better, no matter which games you choose to play on day one.

Nothing to see here, typical FUD spreading by the usual names.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It's this thing they do called "testing", you should read up on its function and why they do it.
Me?

VAL0R

Banned
Where did you get "limited" from? I think you are misrepresenting the video. She says "more than 500" and a "library 19 years deep." She never says that some games will not carry over from current X1X BC, unless I missed something.

They will probably add support for more games later on. Hopefully they compile a list of what will be compatible on day one.

Last edited:
Me?

It's hard to tell whos lying, you or the video... or just straight up misinformed.

FunkMiller

If this generation is just going to be lie after lie from games executives (all companies), with the reality so much more disappointing, I‘m going to take up fucking knitting.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
From Xbox.com:

To make the Xbox Series X our most compatible console ever required both significant innovation in the design of the custom processor as well as the unique design of the Xbox operating system and hypervisor at the heart of our next generation platform.

With more than 100,000 hours of play testing already completed, thousands of games are already playable on Xbox Series X today, from the biggest blockbusters to cult classics and fan favorites. Many of us in Team Xbox play on the Xbox Series X daily as our primary console and switching between generations is seamless. By the time we launch this holiday, the team will have spent well over 200,000 hours ensuring your game library is ready for you to jump in immediately.

Not only should gamers be able to play all of these games from the past, but they should play better than ever before
. Backwards compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X hardware, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU and the SSD. No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the Xbox Series X for each and every backward compatible game

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Video is pretty bad in general. PS4 backwards compat is not crystal clear in terms of how some of the boost functions work but it will play nearly all PS4 games. I dont see any reason why the Series X will not play nearly all Xbox One Games.

It doesnt make much sense to why it would play some Xbox and Xbox 360 games while also only some Xbox One games. I am going to chalk this up to the reviewer being misinformed. Will have to wait and hear for more.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It's hard to tell whos lying, you or the video... or just straight up misinformed.

I don’t think the link you posted shows what you wanted to show lol

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Something does not sound right here. I think there is a mistranslation somewhere because Microsoft said 1000s of games had been tested and working.

Last edited:
They're excluding Xbox One

Xbox Series X and Series S
Microsoft has been more ambitious with backward compatibility -- it's promised that the $499 Xbox Series X and $299 Series S will play original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games when the consoles come out Nov. 10. That's four generations of games, stretching back to the first console's 2001 launch.

But it doesn't include literally everything. Microsoft has a comprehensive list of the games that'll play on its upcoming consoles: 568 games from the Xbox 360 and only 39 games from the original Xbox library are currently backward compatible. And titles that require its defunct Kinect motion sensor won't work at all.

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/ps5-and-xbox-series-x-series-s-backwards-compatibility-everything-we-know/

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

lol but yeah I’m pretty sure that’s just pre Xbox one game count that they have tested and passed like it’s always been.

Last edited:

theHFIC

As long as Blinx and Blinx 2: Masters of Time & Space are on the compatibility list, I don't see what the problem is.

Edit: Just looked at the list and only Blinx 1 is listed as supported. We ride at dawn and leave a trail of destruction in our wake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom