• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S / Lockhart Details To Be Revealed Soon; Console Will Be Priced At Around $300 – Rumor

xbox-series-x-matt-booty-xbox-one-generations.jpg

The Xbox Series S, also known by the codename Lockhart, is apparently going to be revealed soon.

Dealer Gaming revealed today that Microsoft is going to share the first details very soon, giving insight into the multi SKU approach to the next generation. Dealer Gaming also suggests that the console will be priced at around $300, which would be an excellent price for a next-generation console that is said to be more powerful than the Xbox One X.

The Xbox Series S, or Lockhart, has been rumored to be in the works for a while. Originally, it seemed like Microsoft stopped working on the console to focus on the Xbox Series X, but it has been later said that the development of the system started again.

Back in January, a new AMD APU has been discovered, and some suggested it could be the Xbox Series S APU. It features eight cores Ryzen CPU clocked at 4.0 GHz and 16 GB memory shared between RAM and VRAM - 12 GB RAM and 4 GB VRAM. GPU details are not available.

ethomaz

Banned
Well that specs will shows one more leak from GitHub being incorrect.

Lockhart there has 56CUs with Xbox One BC support (no Xbox One X BC).

Would make sense if Lock Hart was 6TF and not 4TF.... Gotta wait and see if MS would release some info where it would stand out next to Series X.

What specs will the Xbox Series E have?
They already have a cologne, wont be surprise to see a vibrator :messenger_grinning_squinting:
just two: high end and low end

High end for Hardcore
Low end for casual
Lol, you missed something.
Would make sense if Lock Hart was 6TF and not 4TF.... Gotta wait and see if MS would release some info where it would stand out next to Series X.
I agree, 6Tf would be needed for 1080/1440p machine.

JLB

Banned
Well that specs will shows one more leak from GitHub being incorrect.

Lockhart there has 56CUs with Xbox One BC support (no Xbox One X BC).

No Xbox One X BC? How is that? You mean that the enhancements on the X wont carry over Lockhart?

ethomaz

Banned
No Xbox One X BC? How is that? You mean that the enhancements on the X wont carry over Lockhart?
The Lockhart chip on GitHub doesn’t have Xbox One X BC mode... just Xbox One BC mode.

The Scarlett (Xbox Series X) has both BC modes.

That is what you can find in GitHub... what that means I don’t know.

Last edited:

CeeJay

The Lockhart chip on GitHub doesn’t have Xbox One X BC mode... just Xbox One BC mode.

One X is a 4K console, Series S is a 1080p console (4K upscale).

JLB

Banned

I dont think it makes sense to consider Xbox One and Xbox One X as different platforms. They run the same games. The only difference between them are assets and optimizations, but nothing else. What I mean is that Gears 5, for example, that is an Xbox One game, will probably run as good as in the X on Lockhart, or even better. It kind of makes sense that way.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
One X is a 4K console, Series S is a 1080p console (4K upscale).

Still don't see how sticking in a cheaper APU is going to shave that much off of the price of the whole system. Unless they are binning the SSD (which would be very bad long-term) the rest of the system is still going to be more expensive to manufacture than present offerings.

I'd also point out this system at $300 would make One S and One X systems basically obsolete overnight!

Really, really, cannot see them doing that especially given they've made such a big deal about not leaving any Xbox user behind.

If Microsoft really does plan to have multiple SKUs which would actually segregate the market in terms of performance, I hope Sony sticks to single SKU offering the best value for next gen. Not a fan of this multiple SKU featuring vastly different specs. Having a smaller hard drive is okay like last gen, but having totally different performance specs is just not a cool idea at the start of a gen!

Still don't see how sticking in a cheaper APU is going to shave that much off of the price of the whole system. Unless they are binning the SSD (which would be very bad long-term) the rest of the system is still going to be more expensive to manufacture than present offerings.

I'd also point out this system at $300 would make One S and One X systems basically obsolete overnight!

Really, really, cannot see them doing that especially given they've made such a big deal about not leaving any Xbox user behind.
I don't think this would leave any user behind just as when a new graphics card or computer comes out it doesn't suddenly mean that people with older computers cant run new games. Just wont be as pretty or smooth.

CeeJay

Why does it change anything about leaving anyone behind that XSX doesn't?

XB1s = native 1080p no RT
XBX= native 4K no RT
XSS = Native 1080p RT
XSX Native 4K RT

stop selling the disk XB1s and XB1X by the end of the year and just go forward with the XB1SAD, XSS and XSX...

XB1SAD = $199
XSS = $299
XSX = $499

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
If Microsoft really does plan to have multiple SKUs which would actually segregate the market in terms of performance, I hope Sony sticks to single SKU offering the best value for next gen. Not a fan of this multiple SKU featuring vastly different specs. Having a smaller hard drive is okay like last gen, but having totally different performance specs is just not a cool idea at the start of a gen!

As a hardcore PlayStation guy, I actually disagree. I like the options, as I'll always buy the most powerful model. I'd spend $1000+ on a console easily, assuming that price was warranted.

But, games is always most important. If I get an Xbox, it will because they showed some must-play games. If I get one, it will definitely be the X version.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why does it change anything about leaving anyone behind that XSX doesn't?

XB1s = native 1080p no RT
XBX= native 4K no RT
XSS = Native 1080p RT
XSX Native 4K RT

stop selling the disk XB1s and XB1X by the end of the year and just go forward with the XB1SAD, XSS and XSX...

XB1SAD = $199
XSS = $299
XSX = $499

XSX is going to be $499 at the absolute lowest, I'd suspect higher. A new $300 unit would effectively cannibalize sales of both One S and One X leaving MS with a load of stock in the pipeline to dump. Its quite a hit to take, especially when they all run the exact same software and library.

Last edited:
If Sony releases only one version of PS5 then it would most likely be weaker than series x, just between series s & x.
As a hardcore PlayStation guy, I actually disagree. I like the options, as I'll always buy the most powerful model. I'd spend $1000+ on a console easily, assuming that price was warranted.

But, games is always most important. If I get an Xbox, it will because they showed some must-play games. If I get one, it will definitely be the X version.
Most people don't have the luxury to pay 1000+$ on a console.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You mean like almost eferything same, aside from weaker GPU? I wrote some post, why this concern is misguided:

Metnut

Two versions of the console at launch? Wont the first party studios just develop for the weaker console?

Yikes! They are gimping themselves at launch!

Who is going to buy the piece of shit weaker console anyway? I bet that the weak XBox gets less than 10% us market share and less than 3% internationally. What a blunder.

I hope it's a portable-hybrid. But I guess I'm warming up to it being a cheaper more standard box too.

Two versions of the console at launch? Wont the first party studios just develop for the weaker console?

Who is going to buy the piece of shit weaker console anyway? I bet that the weak XBox gets less than 10% us market share and less than 3% internationally. What a blunder.

Been discussed plenty of times by now, could just easily look up what actual developers and software engineers have said to realize it doesn't hold XSX back at all (especially if it turns out to be a portable/hybrid).

XSX is going to be $499 at the absolute lowest, I'd suspect higher. A new $300 unit would effectively cannibalize sales of both One S and One X leaving MS with a load of stock in the pipeline to dump. Its quite a hit to take, especially when they all run the exact same software and library.

You don't even know their production capacity for current-gen systems, and underestimate how much the cheaper older systems move during holiday sales. Plus by your logic, the same problem would've affected console manufacturers in the past, but it never really did.

Other parts of your statement are based on assumption only, and don't even have a full grasp on context because the context hasn't been given.

I agree, 6Tf would be needed for 1080/1440p machine.

Incorrect; tech analysis folks have already simulated that a 4TF GPU can perfectly handle 1080p at 30-60FPS depending on the game. And these are consoles; they enjoy level of optimization PCs don't quite reach.

A 4TF Navi system would be equivalent to a 5TF GCN GPU. If PS4 Pro can do 1080/1440p on a much older Polaris architecture with shitty Jaguars, the Lockhart should be able to easily reach that for next-gen games. Framerates would vary between 30 and 60 depending on the complexity of the game, it's not like PS5 and XSX won't have games with variable framerates or some 30 and others 60, either.

Last edited:

Panaphonics

Banned

Yikes. according to latest rumors, Sony is doing exactly the same

yikes.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Lockhart will really put things into perspective, because to most people they will not understand or care why the other platforms are more expensive.
Lockhart games will have all the Ray tracing, physics, polycount and other improvements the xsx/ps5 will have, they will look identical aside from resolution.

Sosokrates

I would be more concerned to know if Lockhart has a disc drive or not. Even at the fire sale price €99 the Xbox One SAD didn't sell well at all.

Convincing buyers to buy a digital only console will still be quite a challenge I think.

I don't think so, because they are still getting a next gen console for very cheap + gamepass.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Xbox is doing everything correctly this time around, what are you doing Sony?

Censorship; letting blue hairs run wild through their new California HQ.

Jokes aside, give Sony time. Just because you’re holding onto your cards, doesn’t mean you don’t have a devastating hand to play.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If true, they should have announced the peasant box first.

It will be so underwhelming in contrast now.

I feel like creating an image of extreme capability with the brand first and foremost, was definitely the priority. You want Xbox associated with the Series X, not the S, or some muddled, mixed message between the two.

S will be underwhelming, but it can afford to be, as the mainstream option that some turn to when the Series X hype gets them, but can’t afford it. It’s the $300 dollar iPad of the lineup.

We’ll see, but I think everything about their unveil strategy has been great so far.

THE:MILKMAN

I don't think so, because they are still getting a next gen console for very cheap + gamepass.

I'm not too sure. Lockhart will presumably be aimed at the very casual market like parents buying for little 8 year old Johnny that have no idea how to set-up or deal with Xbox Live/Gamepass or just prefer discs?

But lets see what gets announced.

splattered

I love how people act concerned about MS having two possible SKUs. It's their problem to "dump current stock" not yours. This would in no way affect xbox one s or XB1X in the sense that they're getting "left behind" the games will still work on those older systems they just wont look or perform as well. Naturally people slow to adopt to next gen will step up into new boxes when they are ready or can afford it. When MS shows the improvements of games on Lockhart even cheap ass people will at least buy into the entry Series-S model within a year or two. Let gamestop and second hand stores worry about how to sell all the old XBS and XB1X consoles floating around at that point.

Sosokrates

I'm not too sure. Lockhart will presumably be aimed at the very casual market like parents buying for little 8 year old Johnny that have no idea how to set-up or deal with Xbox Live/Gamepass or just prefer discs?

I don't think it will be very casual, rdr2 on a PS4 is still the same game as the 1X version

CeeJay

How old are little Johnny's parents, are they boomers? Something tells me they will be in their twenties or thirties and be more than used to digital services like Netflix and Spotify and less inclined to want discs hanging around to get lost or damaged.

Last edited:

Aidah

This seems so close to an Xbox One X I can't see any real reason for it to exist outside of marketing.
It's not though. This one can do much more and would still feel like a new console in terms of features compared to One X. Has about the same GPU capability of One X, but with a CPU and storage speed that are either the same as Series X or very close.

Top Bottom