• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox - Series S or X?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The marginal benefit of a Series X over a Series S for $200 is really extreme. The storage space and processing power bump is INSANE for the extra $200 value, to the extent that it will rarely seem like a great idea compared to getting an X. Sometimes perhaps, but not usually lol.

On the other hand. The cost/benefit analysis of a 1060/2060 vs 3070/3080 is entirely different. Maybe you don't want to pay a grand for extra frames in League of Legends. In depends entirely on the context of your situation. We are talking a really nice $500 console vs. a $300 gimped version, but I would never say "dude you are still on a 1060, why not get a 3080 it's only an extra like 800 dollars" LOL.
I got mine for 250€. For the storage I still had a 1TB Seagate USB SSD (that I also got for cheap) that I used for my Xbone S. Works perfectly on the Series S. For me that's wonderful value.

S0ULZB0URNE

You can't play current gen games on that external.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
If Halo Infinite was as awesome as CE I think I would choose an X. Btw. Shouldn't they throw in an Elite2 controller.. just thinking aloud

Last edited:

Rambone

My personal favorite external drive for the Xbox and PS4/5 is the Western Digital Black 5TB version which is on sale right now for $120 dollars. They are fast, cheap, reliable and gobs of Storage. Yea you can use these drives to deep store Series/PS5 games but you still have to deal with the transfer times which isn't quick for larger games, although this may still be faster than redownloading, it's still an inconvenience is the point.

Rambone

How many XSS games are 30 fps while the XSX version is 60? In most cases if it is 30 on the XSS it's because the developer chose to not take advantage of the hardware. There is no reason for the XSS not to match framerate.
From my understanding if a developer chooses to run the game at 30fps it's due to performance reasons where enabling the same level of graphical features that are present on the X would compromise the framerate to the Series S's detriment. For example, there was Dying Light 2 that only runs at 30fps and lacks graphic related enhancements of the X. There is Grand Theft Auto V for example which can't even support ray tracing at any level, there is just stuff like that which makes the Series S kind of a let down, there are just way too many compromises needed to run the game on that hardware besides lowering resolution.

The Series S is a great system and developers should do their best to develop for it but in reality it's not going to be at parity with the X version of a game unfortunately.

elliot5

From my understanding if a developer chooses to run the game at 30fps it's due to performance reasons where enabling the same level of graphical features that are present on the X would compromise the framerate to the Series S's detriment. For example, there was Dying Light 2 that only runs at 30fps and lacks graphic related enhancements of the X. There is Grand Theft Auto V for example which can't even support ray tracing at any level, there is just stuff like that which makes the Series S kind of a let down, there are just way too many compromises needed to run the game on that hardware besides lowering resolution.

The Series S is a great system and developers should do their best to develop for it but in reality it's not going to be at parity with the X version of a game unfortunately.
Dying light 2 now has 60 fps on xss and so does DL1.

FrankWza

Vast majority of the games are on PC so how would Series S affect development time? Not sure what production resources you mean.
Halo 120fps taking months to add.
The matrix demo taking a “gargantuan effort” to get running on the s according to the df article. Plus devs have called out the system on more than one occasion.

Also "it always scaled on PC" is nonsense. Every AAA game in the past decade or so has their assets made once so they run on min spec. Increasing sample counts a bit here and there for high settings isn't what you could truly have done with more power. Min spec matters.September 10, 2020
RT BVHs are raytracing bounding volume hierarchies, by the way. Tech intricacies aside, they help make ray tracing - one of the defining features of next-gen graphics - work.

The relatively low specs of Xbox Series S make a difference for all next-gen multiplatform games, Gneitling says, because the developers of such games must always meet the lowest-common-denominator 'minimum spec'. Since Xbox Series S' RAM is mostly the same as current-gen, Gneitling feels that will inevitably hold back what multiplatform developers can do with all next-gen systems: "Increasing sample counts a bit here and there for high settings isn't what you could truly have done with more power. Min spec matters."

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
XSS should have everything that XSX titles have just a lower resolution, you don't agree?

Moving the goalposts to deflect away from that very single point doesn't help anyone.

In a perfect world, sure, but they had to balance costs with power - just as they did with X and PS5. 100% chance they didn't meet every initial design target either.

The moving the goalpost arguement has no legs here, all consoles have them you just choose to ignore them for everything except series S.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
efficiency over brute force

Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

dcmk7

Banned
In a perfect world, sure, but they had to balance costs with power - just as they did with X and PS5. 100% chance they didn't meet every initial design target either.

The moving the goalpost arguement has no legs here, all consoles have them you just choose to ignore them for everything except series S.
We aren't debating XSX and PS5, if look at my post history, I have been critical about the main consoles, both of them. To bring them up here now is moving the goalposts suggesting you don't really have any counter points.

Argument is about the hardware being designed to deliver the exact same experience, which is anything but true. As of right now it's not able to in many cases. It should be delivering the same experience and developers unfairly get the blame when is not.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

The marginal benefit of a Series X over a Series S for $200 is really extreme. The storage space and processing power bump is INSANE for the extra $200 value, to the extent that it will rarely seem like a great idea compared to getting an X. Sometimes perhaps, but not usually lol.

On the other hand. The cost/benefit analysis of a 1060/2060 vs 3070/3080 is entirely different. Maybe you don't want to pay a grand for extra frames in League of Legends. In depends entirely on the context of your situation. We are talking a really nice $500 console vs. a $300 gimped version, but I would never say "dude you are still on a 1060, why not get a 3080 it's only an extra like 800 dollars" LOL.

While I don't dismiss the totality of your arguement, since generally I agree the X is a better buy, I woukd also contend that for many buyers, the extra power is wasted. For us hardcore gamers, we appreciate the extra frames and resolution, but I bet if you were to hide a S and an X and hook them to two 55" from 12ft away, a large group wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Another large percentage would rate the graphics a 9/10 and the other a 8/10. Finally, a small group might give 9/10 and the rest a 7 or 6.

Value is subjective to who is receiving it.
Calling it gimped is completely misleading, it's like saying a ford edge base model is completely gimped vs the platinum version - both can drive you around, one just does it better.
As to the storage space, for casual gamers, there's enough room on the S that it would rarely affect them.

Topher

Gold Member
Halo 120fps taking months to add.
The matrix demo taking a “gargantuan effort” to get running on the s according to the df article. Plus devs have called out the system on more than one occasion.

I get your point about the Matrix demo being difficult on XSS, but a couple of things. 1) 343 seems to be taking a long time to do a LOT of things so hard to say that is related to XSS. 2) The dev quoted says minimum specs matter, but the specs of the XSS are typically higher than the minimum specs on PC. So if we get to a point later where XSS is dragging behind even the minimum specs of PC then perhaps that will be a problem. For right now, though, I have a hard time understanding how XSS is an issue when we have games like Cyberpunk 2077 that is designed to run on a GPU as weak as a RX 470.

THE DUCK

We aren't debating XSX and PS5, if look at my post history, I have been critical about the main consoles, both of them. To bring them up here now is moving the goalposts suggesting you don't really have any counter points.

Argument is about the hardware being designed to deliver the exact same experience, which is anything but true. As of right now it's not able to in many cases. It should be delivering the same experience and developers unfairly get the blame when is not.

I have a key point- it doesn't matter what the initial goal was with S - we have what we have. A very nice, compact, less expensive xbox with most modern architecture intact.

There's a decent chance of a fall price drop this fall which should help increase its overall value.

dcmk7

Banned
I have a key point- it doesn't matter what the initial goal was with S - we have what we have. A very nice, compact, less expensive xbox with most modern architecture intact.

There's a decent chance of a fall price drop this fall which should help increase its overall value.

That's fair enough, at least you're being honest that you will give it a free pass no matter what the circumstances. Whether it's some games running better on X1X, missing game modes or when resolutions are at levels that are more associated with handheld consoles.

Riky

$MSFT

I wonder if they will keep the price and increase the value by offering more storage or reduce the price further. £249 is already good value but if they hit £199 and keep it on shelves with the likes of Starfield they will have another big Christmas.

THE DUCK

That's fair enough, at least you're being honest that you will give it a free pass no matter what the circumstances. Whether it's some games running better on X1X, missing game modes or when resolutions are at levels that are more associated with handheld consoles.

I think the ultra low resolutions are poor implementations, and there arent many of them. As far as comparing to the X, I doubt many owners of the S had an xbox one X, more likely a ps4 or original xbox one, which is a nice upgrade from these. As far as missing game modes, are talking about rt? I don't think many S owners care, I certainly don't miss it when I play my S.

Riky

$MSFT
I think the ultra low resolutions are poor implementations, and there arent many of them. As far as comparing to the X, I doubt many owners of the S had an xbox one X, more likely a ps4 or original xbox one, which is a nice upgrade from these. As far as missing game modes, are talking about rt? I don't think many S owners care, I certainly don't miss it when I play my S.

There are no game modes missing as your save works across both machines, so all the actual gameplay is intact. It's just visual features which is what Jason Ronald said it would be.
As for One X which was easily the best last gen console it had no 120fps games at all.
Like you said this would be a big upgrade for people coming from a One S.

FrankWza

I get your point about the Matrix demo being difficult on XSS, but a couple of things. 1) 343 seems to be taking a long time to do a LOT of things so hard to say that is related to XSS. 2) The dev quoted says minimum specs matter, but the specs of the XSS are typically higher than the minimum specs on PC. So if we get to a point later where XSS is dragging behind even the minimum specs of PC then perhaps that will be a problem. For right now, though, I have a hard time understanding how XSS is an issue when we have games like Cyberpunk 2077 that is designed to run on a GPU as weak as a RX 470.
Nobody guarantees PC specs will last a specific amount of time. The s was guaranteed by microsoft. Every game released on x needs to release on s. That’s where the work is always going to be required. It’s already proven to be an issue. Them being tied to that is where devs will have issues going forward. Pc isn’t defined by a generation like consoles are.

Topher

Gold Member
Nobody guarantees PC specs will last a specific amount of time. The s was guaranteed by microsoft. Every game released on x needs to release on s. That’s where the work is always going to be required. It’s already proven to be an issue. Them being tied to that is where devs will have issues going forward. Pc isn’t defined by a generation like consoles are.

But how is it a problem right now if current games don't require specs higher than what XSS has?

Last edited:

FrankWza

But how is it a problem right now if current games don't require specs higher than what XSS has?
Well it took 6 months for a first party dev to deliver something that was promised at launch for their flagship franchise. Again, I think it’s the requirement of every game that will continue to cause the extra development resources

Well it took 6 months for a first party dev to deliver something that was promised at launch for their flagship franchise. Again, I think it’s the requirement of every game that will continue to cause the extra development resources
What did they promise again Frank? Pretty sure MS 'promised' the XSS would have every feature the XSX has minus the optical drive. Care to list those features it's missing?

The only thing 'required' is that all games releasing on Xbox have a PC version and that both consoles have versions. With the single GDK you have no proof the XSS requires extra development resources.

Topher

Gold Member

Still not sure you can lay that at the feet of XSS, but you could be right. If this becomes a pattern then I guess we will know.

SkylineRKR

The Series S is a huge upgrade from the Pro, even. I went from a jet engine with long ass load times and lots of 30fps to a completely silent 60fps console thats incredibly fast. Yakuza Like a Dragon which I bought at launch is way, way better on Series S than it is on Pro. Its 1440p, barely has load times and even a 60fps mode that while 900p looks really good. Not to mention you can quick resume those games.

One X is different, its better and more silent than the Pro but also targets a LOT of 30fps and has the same load times. Don't forget the Series S is cheaper than both.

RT is also pretty shit on PS5 and Series X. I never use it, the sacrifices are too big.

DavJay

I’d get the X for the extra 500GB of SSD. That alone is very expensive and you also get a disc drive. Everything else makes the decision so much easier. The fact that you are asking mean you can afford the X so….

Leyasu

Banned
Requirement? Got any proof of that?

FrankWza

Requirement? Got any proof of that?

Does Xbox Series S play all Xbox Series X games?​

After months of speculation and rumors concerning a lower-end next-generation console codenamed Lockhart, the Xbox Series S has been revealed with a launch price of $299. This is one part of Microsoft's two-pronged next-generation strategy, with the other console, once codenamed Anaconda, taking the form of the more expensive and powerful Xbox Series X.

The Xbox Series S will play every game that can be played on Xbox Series X, just at a lower resolution with lower quality textures. This means whether you're interested in third-party games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War or titles from Xbox Game Studios such as Halo Infinite, they can be played on Xbox Series S with next-generation features like seamless loading, 120 FPS support, and more. You'll also be able to play backward compatible games from the original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. Of course, there are exceptions: It can't play your physical copies of those games.

FrankWza

Still not sure you can lay that at the feet of XSS, but you could be right. If this becomes a pattern then I guess we will know.
I would call it a pattern already. The engineer was quoted as saying it would be 1:1 at lower resolutions. We’ve already seen that not be the case plenty of times. I think that with enough time, money and man hours you can get most games to run as far back as a generation. The question is, how much of that is happening? In the case of infinite, a first party game that already had a one year delay and is rumored to cost hundreds of millions f dollars, they still needed an additional 6 months to add a feature that was in the beta.

Leyasu

Banned
Do you see an asterisk? Does it mention only first party? No.
Unless they’re planning on ceasing production and ending support they have come out and said every game will be on both consoles. What do you call that? It ain’t a request.
Lol what?

FrankWza

Lol what?
The Xbox Series S will play every game that can be played on Xbox Series X, just at a lower resolution with lower quality textures. This means whether you're interested in third-party games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War or titles from Xbox Game Studios such as Halo Infinite, they can be played on Xbox Series S with next-generation features like seamless loading, 120 FPS support, and more. You'll also be able to play backward compatible games from the original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. Of course, there are exceptions: It can't play your physical copies of those games.

FrankWza

And yet they made it happen.
I think that with enough time, money and man hours you can get most games to run as far back as a generation. The question is, how much of that is happening? In the case of infinite, a first party game that already had a one year delay and is rumored to cost hundreds of millions f dollars, they still needed an additional 6 months to add a feature that was in the beta.

Arioco

Series X, of course. That 500GB of SDD alone are worth the 200 bucks difference in price. Plus you will have a true next gen machine. Series S usually lacks the Ray Tracing and/or Performance modes in many games.

Leyasu

Banned
Yes and? That is what it was made for. Obviously they don’t talk about the sacrifices needed to get them working.

Series S still stalking your nightmares I see Frank lol

I see that you are concerned about the time that devs will need and use halo infinite as an example because it came 6 months after launch. Leave it out. It was obviously not a priority given the disaster that are 343 and this games launch. The coalition had no problem patching it in for gear5 at launch (yeah I know that it is not a new game but it is not the same studio). Anyway, quite honestly I don’t think that many 3rd party devs will put much effort into it in all honesty

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yes and? That is what it was made for. Obviously they don’t talk about the sacrifices needed to get them working.
I think you need to get some sleep. You got your answer 3 times and changed the subject
Series S still stalking your nightmares I see Frank lol
nah. It’s the posters that pretend to have an x but really have an s that get bent out of shape. As a PlayStation owner I know that first party will maximize the PS5s potential. It’s a shame with 3rd party though. All those resources being wasted that could be going towards getting the most out of the PS5 IO that first party does so I can enjoy almost instant load times on more games. Oh well.

Gargantuan effort

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I think you need to get some sleep. You got your answer 3 times and changed the subject

nah. It’s the posters that pretend to have an x but really have an s that get bent out of shape. As a PlayStation owner I know that first party will maximize the PS5s potential. It’s a shame with 3rd party though. All those resources being wasted that could be going towards getting the most out of the PS5 IO that first party does so I can enjoy almost instant load times on more games. Oh well.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Top Bottom