• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X’s Advantage Could Lie in Its Machine Learning-Powered Shader Cores, Says Quantic Dream

Overall, I think that the pure analysis of the hardware shows an advantage for Microsoft, but experience tells us that hardware is only part of the equation: Sony showed in the past that their consoles could deliver the best-looking games because their architecture and software were usually very consistent and efficient.

This actually has always been bugged me - why did/does on PS the first party games usually look better than on Xbox? Better art style? Design? What is the reason?

Last edited:

rnlval

You are back to double counting things and making it now in a laundry list format (yet more DCU’s feeding off the same L1 does not seem to be a minus for some reasons ;)). You cannot quote more CPU cores and more CPU registers as if they were two separate things :LOL:.

... well unless you are just trying to have a e-peen numbers war and cannot accept that having “just” an 18% advantage is not bad even though it is not the monster advantage you may have wanted.
Sorry, RX 6800 or RTX 3080 is the minimum GPU purchase for me.

I'm not going to support RTX 2070 OC to 2.3Ghz argument against my RTX 2080 AIB OC near 2Ghz

assurdum

Banned
"The CPU of the two consoles uses the same processor (slightly faster on Xbox Series X), the GPU of the Xbox also seems more powerful, as it is 16% faster than the PS5 GPU, with a bandwidth that is 25% faster. The transfer speed from the SSD is twice as fast on PS5."

All the exact same specs that was obvious to everyone, yet people try their hardest to ignore or downplay what is fundamentally true. Here is a Dev telling it like it is.
The hell ... are you really trying to say all the people need to prize more a 16% of difference in a gpu? Is it a serious claim?

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
This actually has always been bugged me - why did/does on PS the first party games usually look better than on Xbox? Better art style? Design? What is the reason?

If you are talking about PS4 first party games? Because PS4 is more powerful than One.
Power counts, in the right hand. 🤷‍♀️

geordiemp

Each DCU has a Local Data Share which scales with DCU count. XSX's 26 DCU LDS / PS5's 18 DCU LDS = ~44% advantage for XSX. LOL

03737c08-7540-4a78-940e-a660ca7fdebf.PNG

More DCU has the following
1. more wave32 processing on the chip instead of outside the chip.
2. more Texture Filter Units
3. more texture load/store units
4. more L1 cache
5. more branch & message unit
6. more scalar units
7. more RT function blocks (RDNA 2)

Trips to the external memory bus have a higher cost.

Also the shared L1 cache between shader arrays is the possible big IPC gain for RDNA2 and frequency gating per WGP which we will soon learn in RDNA2 white paper I guess.

But answer me this, why is every pC card have shader arrays less than 10 CU if sharing a LDS is the way forward. Maybe larger shader arrays will be in RDNA3 and its XSX performance gain ?

/s

Last edited:
I’d say MS will be working hard on making some good DX12U implementations of SuperResolution, which is going to be great for PC gamers and Series S/X. I love native 4K, but if I can get 1440p native and 60fps with good quality machine learning super resolution I’d take that for a lot of games.

Sony not having any ML hardware is a bit surprising given that they did a lot of upscaling/checker boarding this gen.

Having said that, the death stranding native vs DLSS comparison had some problems in DLSS mode imo. Any time there was fast camera panning it turned into a complete blur.
It would be the best-case scenario of just by porting games to PC, you are able to execute them on Xbox. Might bring more games to Xbox from PC.

He is not citing super-resolution in what is specifically quoted - he is specifically citing DirectML -

Direct Machine Learning, or DirectML that is hardcoded into DX12U/Hardware as a type DLSS style feature.

– Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S support Machine Learning for games with DirectML, a component of DirectX. DirectML leverages unprecedented hardware performance in a console, with Xbox Series X benefiting from over 24 TFLOPS of 16-bit float performance and over 97 TOPS (trillion operations per second) of 4-bit integer performance on Xbox Series X. Machine Learning can improve a wide range of areas, such as making NPCs much smarter, providing vastly more lifelike animation, and greatly improving visual quality.

rnlval

Also the shared L1 cache between shader arrays is the possible big IPC gain for RDNA2 and frequency gating per WGP which we will soon learn in RDNA2 white paper I guess.

But answer me this, why is every pC card have shader arrays less than 10 CU if sharing a LDS is the way forward. Maybe larger shader arrays will be in RDNA3 and its XSX performance gain ?
Each DCU has LDS. 10 CU with RDNA is 5 DCU.

XSS APU's APU chip size is close to Ryzen 7 4800U APU chip size already.

assurdum

Banned
He is not citing super-resolution in what is specifically quoted - he is specifically citing DirectML -

Direct Machine Learning, or DirectML that is hardcoded into DX12U/Hardware as a type DLSS style feature.
People trolling Sony when said the pro was basically a 8,4TF machine for FP16 shader. Now MS uses the same rethoric to call an unprecedented perfomance on the console. Good Lord PR stuff has no shame.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
No, even on PS3 games look neat despite being weaker than Xbox 360. Multiplatform was better, but that's it.

Eh, Forza Horizon and Halo 4 both looked really good on 360. I’d only put NDs games as definitely better on that front. Sony had a lot more output than MS did

geordiemp

You did not answer me, RDNA2 chips revealed and leaked all have 10 or less CU (5 DCU) per shader array.

Every one and ps5, except XSX has 7 DCU.

Why ? XSX is the outlier here and you know it both in architecture, layout and clocks

Last edited:

McCheese

Nah, this is "Power of the cloud" bullshit all over again. Machine learning could be used for all sorts of stuff, upscaling graphics, smart dynamic shaders, even increased framerate via smart interpolation.

But you shouldn't wave machine learning abstract concepts about as a real hardware advantage until something is on the market that is actually using it.

Similar to the cloud bullshit that sounded great on paper, we could go the whole generation before they've figured out an actual use case for it.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Each DCU has a Local Data Share which scales with DCU count. XSX's 26 DCU LDS / PS5's 18 DCU LDS = ~44% advantage for XSX. LOL

03737c08-7540-4a78-940e-a660ca7fdebf.PNG

More DCU has the following
1. more wave32 processing on the chip instead of outside the chip.
2. more Texture Filter Units
3. more texture load/store units
4. more L1 cache
5. more branch & message unit
6. more scalar units
7. more RT function blocks (RDNA 2)

Trips to the external memory bus have a higher cost.
Both PS5 and XSX have 2 shader engines and 4 shader arrays. There is one L1 cache block (128 KB in RDNA1) per array shared between 13 CU's for XSX and 9 CU's for PS5. L1 cache amount isn't directly tied to CU count, how do you know about its size for XSX, since when this info is public?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I think he meant L1 which seems to be the same across both consoles get it is feeding more DCU’s (L1 is partitioned per Shader Array and the XSX Shader Arrays house more DCU’s, so you have a higher DCU per L1 ratio).

longdi

Banned
No, even on PS3 games look neat despite being weaker than Xbox 360. Multiplatform was better, but that's it.

360 has better GPU and overall better design
PS3 has the more flexible CPU but held back by the last minute dated GPU that nvidia dumped onto them. Needless to say, Sony became friends with Amd onwards.
So multiplatform games looked better on 360. While first party games, PGR and Gears look just as good. Halo ran better than KZ. MS then winded down their first party titles at the end of 360 in favour of kinnect. So we didnt get to see much XGS games, especially TPS games that are more suitable to showcase the visuals

People trolling Sony when said the pro was basically a 8,4TF machine for FP16 shader. Now MS uses the same rethoric to call an unprecedented perfomance on the console. Good Lord PR stuff has no limit.

except MS did not count this hadware ML into the TF wars? 🤷‍♀️

assurdum

Banned
If you only care about the loading times, the SSD won't make much difference, a game that loads in 4s on PS5, will load in 8s on XSX, which is still very fast, you wouldn't really pay much attention to it.
SSD faster (and I/O of course) means potentially the gpu on ps5 needs less RAM or bandwidth for the same tasks , it's not just faster loading time. People continue to downplay this aspect but there is a reason if amd did infinite cache on new Navi.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
360 has better GPU and overall better design
PS3 has the more flexible CPU but held back by the last minute dated GPU that nvidia dumped onto them. Needless to say, Sony became friends with Amd onwards.
So multiplatform games looked better on 360. While first party games, PGR and Gears look just as good. Halo ran better than KZ. MS then winded down their first party titles at the end of 360 in favour of kinnect. So we didnt get to see much XGS games, especially TPS games that are more suitable to showcase the visuals

except MS did not count this hadware ML into the TF wars? 🤷‍♀️
What? 24 TF machine for ML they said. It's the same shit again

Last edited:
Those words are from XSXS lead engineer Andrew Goosen. What is wrong with them? 🤔

Nothing wrong with them, they are just designations for rendering techniques, for the most part. The problem resides with fans that start throwing them willy nilly as if they were easily activated options, usable at will with complete disregard to the projects end goals, the overall power envelope of the machine and the obvious tradeoffs that plague development in general. Plus, Sony has their own version of such features, so it remains to be seen which approach ends up on top, especially that APIs will play a big role in extracting the performance out of the two boxes. In other words, wait and see...

Last edited:

rnlval

People trolling Sony when said the pro was basically a 8,4TF machine for FP16 shader. Now MS uses the same rethoric to call an unprecedented perfomance on the console. Good Lord PR stuff has no shame.
PS4 Pro's 8.4 TFLOPS FP16 spec is fine when coupled with higher memory bandwidth, but Sony gimped PS4 Pro APU's potential.

geordiemp

I think he meant L1 which seems to be the same across both consoles get it is feeding more DCU’s (L1 is partitioned per Shader Array and the XSX Shader Arrays house more DCU’s, so you have a higher DCU per L1 ratio).

I put a big blue square around what all other parts are doing, XSX is an enlarged / stretched shader array and is different.

The L2 is just scaled by GDDR6 PHY.

Is a larger shader array a benefit or not to efficiency, we shall see. I believe the 10 CU limit on many parts is tied to the shorter data path required for higher RDNA2 frequences and propagation.

HxwWOLD.jpg

But we will see soon enough.

jigglet

Banned
I think ML will only work if they're delivered as API's devs can just use out of the box, like DLSS. Not many - if any - game devs are going to attempt to train ML models themselves. It's a very specific skill set.

Remember they tried to do something similar with the cloud on XB1 and it was never adopted. At the time they just said "use the cloud for expanded computation...but how you ask? Na, you write that shit yourself from scratch, have fun k thx bye lol!!"

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

Because implying you’re using fp 16 for all your rasterization is a meme. It has uses, but they’re limited. Using lower precision for ML is an actual thing.

That was talking about hardware raytracing, which supposedly can run parallel with traditional rasterization. 🤷‍♀️

24 TF is a bogus number. If you run Raytracing, you will automatically take up resources that could otherwise have been dedicated to traditional rasterization, forfeiting other graphical features in the process. Believing otherwise is positing that MS was somehow able to produce an alien technology powered by the clouds...

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Nothing wrong with them, they are just designations for rendering techniques, for the most part. The problem resides with fans that start throwing them willy nilly as if they were simply boxes that you need to tick, with complete disregard to the projects end goals, and the obvious tradeoffs that plagues development in general. Plus, Sony has their own version of such features, so it remains to be seen which approach ends up on top, especially that APIs will play a big role in extracting the performance out of the two boxes. In other words, wait and see...

Thats what i said. The 2nd gen games from XSXS will be surprising. The advancements in the Series X continue to impress. :messenger_bicep:

btw, when MS is being open and excited to share the designs they took in XSXS = pr buzzword?

Does that mean Nvidia, Amd, Apple etc are guilty of the same thing? Only those who prefer to keep secretive are those we should praise and respkt?

Last edited:
People trolling Sony when said the pro was basically a 8,4TF machine for FP16 shader. Now MS uses the same rhetoric to call an unprecedented performance on the console. Good Lord PR stuff has no shame.
Not sure how DirectML, a feature of DX12Ultimate to which all PC hardware is now geared for - and something with dedicated Hardware on the Series X is rhetoric - utilizing lower FP operation's for machine learning isn't just talk according to Nvidia DLSS. The software's ability to improve performance at up to 86% is very real when sampling from all other Machine Learning Examples - how Microsoft uses this with SeriesX is anyone's guess but I expect a future announcement from Microsoft boasting over a 65% increase in performance with DirectML programming properly implemented.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Not sure how DirectML, a feature of DX12Ultimate to which all PC hardware is now geared for - and something with dedicated Hardware on the Series X is rhetoric - utilizing lower FP operation's for machine learning isn't just talk according to Nvidia DLSS. The software's ability to improve performance at up to 86% is very real when sampling from all other Machine Learning Examples - how Microsoft uses this with SeriesX is anyone's guess but I expect a future announcement from Microsoft boasting over a 65% increases in performance with DirectML programming properly implemented.
I would be very careful with such claims. Nvidia has dedicated core hardware for such stuff. Serie X hasn't. You can't count with the same gain boost on serie X just because they have software stuff in the horizon. The propaganda around this stuff by MS blinds the rationality of many people to my opinion.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned

There are multiple reasons :

- More talented people including artists so that means better art style yes
- More money / more time to improve and polish the games
- Better custom API / software and hardware optimizations (Sony has a dedicated cross team helping studios named ICE Team)
- It only has to work on a single machine they know perfectly, not hundreds of unknown PC configurations, so optimization is a lot easier.

Last edited:
Thats what i said. The 2nd gen games from XSXS will be surprising. The advancements in the Series X continue to impress. :messenger_bicep:

The 2nd gen games of any console that has ever hit the market tend to be surprising, and more impressive than the first wave. What advancements are you talking about when the damn machine is not out yet? Time to get off that DeLorean, my friend...

It took Nvidia a lot of time to get DLSS implemented properly and with a lot of dedicated hardware (tensor cores). RDNA2 doesn't have that much dedicated hardware and I don't have as much faith in Microsoft's ability in this area compared to Nvidia.

Pretty obvious XBsX has a hardware advantage though, why some people try to downplay that amazes me.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Yes, if the L1 cache size remains the same as in RDNA1 this would mean 40% more readily available L1 data (per CU) to be send to L0/CU's at 20% higher bandwidth for PS5. That would mean 'something' for CU efficiency i guess..

rnlval

More DCU enables more wavefronts to run on-chip. External memory has a higher latency cost.

RX 5700 XT's L1 cache has 16-way IO ports and it's unknown for XSX's L1 cache design.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I put a big blue square around what all other parts are doing, XSX is an enlarged / stretched shader array and is different.

The L2 is just scaled by GDDR6 PHY.

Is a larger shader array a benefit or not to efficiency, we shall see. I believe the 10 CU limit on many parts is tied to the shorter data path required for higher RDNA2 frequences and propagation.

HxwWOLD.jpg

But we will see soon enough.

I was agreeing with you, but you were quoting the LDS which is inside the DCU and the L1 cache which is shared by all DCU’s in a Shader Array.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
More DCU enables more wavefronts to run on-chip. External memory has a higher latency cost.

RX 6800 has 128 KB L1 per shader array, hence four shader array yields 512 KB L1 cache which the same as RX 5700 XT's 512 KB L1 cache.

RX 6800 (60 CU) crushed RX 5700 XT(40 CU).

Where would you run more wavefront offchip? 😂 again double counting things... you have the same L1 cache feeding 7 DCU’s on one side and 5 DCU’s on the other... period.

You want more TFLOPS (more wavefronts/threads/operations) without additional Shader Engines (which has a bigger fixed cost HW wise... sure, but you have a tradeoff that the L1 cache is shared with more DCU’s.

Last edited:
I would be very careful with such claims. Nvidia has dedicated core hardware for such stuff. Serie X hasn't. You can't count with the same gain boost on serie X just because they have software stuff.
I fully expect a 86% jump in performance, as it plainly states the Series X can opt to utilize a portion of it's core hardware to ML if it so desires - considering all other ML examples cite extraordinary gains, I expect no less from Microsoft's own proprietary solution built into DX12Ultimate/SeriesX in the future.

If we are being pretentious, the DRS solution on One X was not a true Machine Learning solution and offered increases upwards of 46-65% performance improvement's through non-ML specific software optimizations.

Last edited:

geordiemp

The 60 CU part is an 80 CU part with SE disabled. Its all 80 CU die design.

However, the part your missing is the L1 cache on RDNA2 will likely not be same as RDNA1. The recent AMD IPC patent is about shared L1 between shader arrays, but was not detailed in the Big navi reveal.

Hence why there is 10 CU per shader array on big Navi and ps5.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its possible, but objectively if you (the dev) want to target lower res for maximal detail and upscale using reconstruction, then DLSS is not the only game in town. Techniques like CBR will get the job done nearly as well if handled carefully.

assurdum

Banned
I fully expect a 86% jump in performance, as it plainly states the Series X can opt to utilize a portion of it's core hardware to ML if it so desires - considering all other ML examples cite extraordinary gains, I expect no less from Microsoft's own proprietary solution built into DX12Ultimate/SeriesX in the future.

If we are being pretentious, the DRS solution on One X was not a true Machine Learning solution and offered increases upwards of 46-65% performance improvement's through non-ML specific software optimizations.
You are lucky if you have around a 20-30% of gain in performance. The percentage expected to you are absurd and you are fallen in the trap of the MS propaganda.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

XSX has no special ML HW, “just” can process INT8/INT4 code at a faster rate than FP16 code.

assurdum

Banned
Nice B8 M8 I R8 8/8
Wut. Sony did a vague statement about TF, MS did the same. To be honest lately MS seems overhyping tech stuff on serie X more than the reality. Never heard something comparable on ps5 in the Sony front. But I could be wrong or missed it.

Last edited:
You are lucky if you have around a 20-30% of gain in performance. The percentage expected to you are absurd and you are fallen in the trap of the MS propaganda.
Nope, AI enhanced software is something I for the last 20 year's have stated will garner performance up to 85% on this gen of hardware in fact - so not a MS propaganda thing more a Computer Scientist rationale.

assurdum

Banned
Nope, AI enhanced software is something I for the last 20 year's have stated will garner performance up to 85% on this gen of hardware in fact - so not a MS propaganda thing more a Computer Scientist rationale.
You need dedicate hardware to support such enhancement. You take a bunch of tech stuff heard here and there, and you come with overoptimistic conclusion mixing all in the bag without rationality. It doesn't work like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom