• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X’s Horsepower Allows for More Creative Freedom, But Don’t Expect Massive Jumps in Visual Quality – The Medium Dev

My understanding is simply (or simplistically) that double the frames requires roughly double the GPU power AND roughly double the CPU power.

Or, more simply still, that it's a demand on both. I mean, I think that would seem to the layman (ie me) to be seen in the total dearth of 60fps modes on the PS4 Pro, despite the 2.25x GPU power over the base console.

When we did get them, we certainly didn't get locked 60fps. So it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to infer that, knowing that the CPUs were very weak, that this was probably a factor in the lack of 60fps games or even game modes.

its a good way of understanding it

but also take into account that you have to assume the CPU is doing all its work 1:1 with the framerate and most of it being used during frametime this is difficult to determine as there are lot of improvements like moving physics to GPU or using all the cores and doing it correctly some games demand a lot of CPU others not or do it only in certain parts

Jubenhimer

Figured as much. PS2 to PS3 was the last significant leap in terms of actual graphics fidelity. Generations afterwards have simply improved on it by adding fewer hardware restrictions. The future of console gens will be about larger worlds, faster speeds, and more complex AI. Diminishing Returns is a real thing.

Top Bottom