• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S render their home UIs in 1080p, SDR

There is nothing wrong here, as everything should be quicker and leaves more room for gaming.

The type of person like the Grubb guy is the reason why Microsoft might choose to update it to snowflakes then everyone will be wandering why the heck UI has gone slower ..

The Series X, with all it's alleged power, shouldn't have a fucking problem rendering a 4K UI. If it does, then oh boy.

sainraja

If the UI is really going to be 1080p when the system launches it could simply be because they know a lot of people have 1080p TV sets and the select few that do have 4K sets will care more for the games being in 4k. We all know Xbox changes their UI so much that if it isn't 4K in the first year it will likely be when they redesign it again lol so just relax. But I don't know why they went with 1080p UI over 4K UI, so like everyone is saying, they might still be working on it.

Last edited:

sainraja

Peak concern trolling here.

The current most powerful console in the world has 1080p UI and it's miles ahead of the competition, which has 4k UI.

Power has nothing to do with it, it's about how much RAM is available for game performance.

🥱

I like when people tell me they run their Windows 10 in HDR mode all the time. I like it because then I can disregard what they say about SDR/HDR/colour after that without having to worry:

giphy.gif

I jest of course, but I still think its weird/stupid and probably causes innumerable problems on top of everything looking awful because it wasn't made to be displayed in HDR.

I guess I will revise my stance after initial thought: you need HDR menus to prevent the TV internally switching between modes if you press the home button during an HDR game. If it is indeed missing, that would be a mess and PS4 does it right- an HDR menu that doesnt go beyond SDR levels when launched from HDR gameplay. I assume MS already has a similar solution in place, but I'm in an original Xbox owner and cant use HDR to test.

I also would like a system level white paper balance for UI elements like Ubisoft games. I saw Digital Foundry gush over the Homefront games HDR implementation, but I can still see the UI elements on my retinas. Ubisoft did a lot of tests in Rtings office to get the options right and they need to be standard. I would not be able to play a game with superbright HDR UI.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I give a shit. I didn’t spend 3000 on an 85 inch 4K tv to see some ghetto ass 1080p UI

I spent 3000 on an 85 tv recently as well, and I couldn't care less if the UI was at 1080p.

It's like I saying I just read The Sun Also Rises and even though the story was fantastic, I hated it because the cover wasn't impressive.

Last edited:

Fake

Man people are just trying to find anything to bitch about these new consoles.
Oh no the UI is not 4K ! Who gives a shit.

To be honest, the hardware have enough room to run UI at 4K.

Maybe you have lower expectation, but if someone wants a premium product they should at least make a premium impression as well.

With time they will update their UI for 4K resolution.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

EkY9O8mWAAARZ_Z

This was confirmed by Austin as well, there's still time to go to change things, but apparently they had set aside 1GB memory for the UI, but developers wanted to use it for games, so they reduced it somewhat and gave ?? back and render the UI in 1080p and SDR. The PS5 was confirmed to be able to output the home UI in HDR and 4K.

The PS4 Pro already had some extra DRAM so a 4K UI wouldn't touch the GDDR memory.

Well, PS4 Pro's UI is 4K, it's not that hard. :messenger_dizzy:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Man people are just trying to find anything to bitch about these new consoles.
Oh no the UI is not 4K ! Who gives a shit.

Yes, agreed. I thought it was the games that mattered? Wait i take that back, the new xbox store where you can only see the price up top and one line at a time is horrid.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I don't think the HD UI is a game-breaker but it's not nice.
The PS4 Pro UI looks much better than the PS4 UI, you can really see the difference with the text.

Calverz

1080p would be complete shit. May as well make 720p like switch then to free up more ram for developers. Either 720p or 4k.

TonyK

1080p UI in a 4K display will looks dated regardless design. It must be native display resolution or even the most shitty phone UI will look slicker.

So uh, while you are playing a 4K game you are going to have 1080p UI elements rendered on top of it whenever you open up the menu?

Honestly you would probably barely notice in full screen, but when you are checking trophies or friends list or something you are easily going to tell that text and shit is rendered at 1/4 the resolution as the game you are playing.

CamHostage

Quick, dumb question: the interface renders at 1080p, but the console's scaler output is still pegged at your optimal setting, I assume?

If the HUD is just not rendered in UHD detail then so be it (for me, at least,) it's just a waypoint/shop/chooser or what have you. If the signal ever had to change, however, that'd be a real drag on all that speed since I've yet to use a TV that switches resolution/framerate anywhere close to seamlessly. (I don't have an Xbox One X so I don't know what the experience with the hub is like there.)

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
It isn’t going to stop me from getting both consoles at some point, but I do think it is quite ridiculous. It doesn’t have anything to do with power, I’m pretty sure, but it does give a sense of laziness.

Hmm.

I can't see this changing. If the xsx is rendering the UI in 4k and all 56 CU units are running at max chat, I can't see that helping keeping the temperature of the unit low, regardless if the rumours are true or not.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
i am not doing fud ! (bold1)
i am not doing overdrama (bold2)
i am not a fanboy ! just a concerned fan !
trust me dude....

seriously even xbox one s has 4k app (it reads uhd blu ray and is a very good media center, my bro use the console only for that)

Take a look at Nikana Nikana response for how to act like an adult, instead of a toddler throwing a tantrum 👍

Last edited:

Mokus

Odd decision. Maybe they need to optimize the code so until then they locked on the 1080p for system stability. I'm sure at one point they will update the UI for 4K.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Warring over a ui now and crying over a 3 sec slower boot time on Ps5 lol.
This just goes to show how lame these launch lineups are. People rather bicker and bitch about ssd , boot times, and ui 😂

Ps5 launch line up in much stronger than Ps4. Killzone, Resogun and Knack vs Demons Souls, Spider-Man and Godfall. Ps4 launch was dull as shit. This is much better, without even getting to third party.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The Switch UI is 720p and people didn't notice that for like a year.

Who is "people"? The Switch UI looks like shit on a 4K TV. Fortunately it's also completely devoid of features, so there's no reason to ever spend any time there.

DESTROYA

To be honest, the hardware have enough room to run UI at 4K.

Maybe you have lower expectation, but if someone wants a premium product they should at least make a premium impression as well.

With time they will update their UI for 4K resolution.
Maybe that makes it slower and sluggish and that would be much worse.🤷‍♂️
I don’t have low expectations I have realistic expectations and like you said it will probably be updated to 4K at some point.

Premium most powerful console in the world can't run a UI in 4K.

If I'm in the market for a premium product, I expect the best and that includes running everything in the best, most finest detail possible.

If my fucking PS4 Pro can do UI in 4K then what's the excuse for a machine north of 12TF.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Hurry let's make a big deal out of this so we can still doing console wars...

Yes the UI should be 4k it should have been on Xbox One X already, hope they update it soon but let's not pretend it is a huge issue.

Series S I understand as it just doesn't have power, but the X? Makes little sense. I expect them (Microsoft) to push out a day one 4K patch for the Series X.

Concern

Ps5 launch line up in much stronger than Ps4. Killzone, Resogun and Knack vs Demons Souls, Spider-Man and Godfall. Ps4 launch was dull as shit. This is much better, without even getting to third party.

People talk shit about killzone but I had fun with it. Godfall? Has looked bland since day one, besides its graphics. Overpriced Spiderman expansion that i can play on my ps4? Only interesting game out of all the launch lineups is Demon Souls. And thats a remake or remaster (can't even keep up anymore).

If I remember correctly for the start of this gen, people were actually warring over games more than stupid specs. Like boot times? Seriously? Lol

Dr.brain64

Not surprised. All that ms' done is a visual change. It's still the same horrible os hence same everything including res.

Big yikes

Top Bottom