• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S render their home UIs in 1080p, SDR

LordOfChaos

EkY9O8mWAAARZ_Z

This was confirmed by Austin as well, there's still time to go to change things, but apparently they had set aside 1GB memory for the UI, but developers wanted to use it for games, so they reduced it somewhat and gave ?? back and render the UI in 1080p and SDR. The PS5 was confirmed to be able to output the home UI in HDR and 4K.

The PS4 Pro already had some extra DRAM so a 4K UI wouldn't touch the GDDR memory.

Last edited:

xion4360

dont see any reason to have a 1080p UI on series X? it must just still be running the xbox one version...if its not then it kinda sucks but the refreshed UI looks good eitherway.

jose4gg

dont see any reason to have a 1080p UI on series X? it must just still be running the xbox one version...if its not then it kinda sucks but the refreshed UI looks good eitherway.

I think their UI takes a lot more resources than the PS5 UI, and it all comes down to their OS, I don't know if they share some code between windows and Xbox OS, but this same stuff happens with Windows vs Mac, in the animation department of the UI Mac is always 10 steps ahead of Windows, just mainly because it isn't made to be thattttt responsive...

I hope they can fix this, in 4 years 1080 will be things of the past, if they aren't already

Andodalf

Banned
If it uses more memory for games, I'm for it, but it does still kinda suck.

I do wonder about OS Ram allocations now, If MS has just a 1080P UI While Sony has 4k and the ability to do their PiP stuff, that must take up a considerable amount more RAM

VinnyMac

I've come to a conclusion that I do not like that Jeff Grubb guy like at all.

On topic im not too suprised honestly its using the same ui as the one x so I wouldn't expect it to magically change to 4k unless the rest if the Xbox follow suit. Im glad the ps5 has a different one than the ps4 the ps4 seems so stake now.

timmyp53

Could be scaling that hasn't been updated? UIs aren't as simple as some people think. Im assuming it could just be patched. Not sure on HDR ommision though.

But isn't the xbox one x UI also 1080p and the new UI is already on that?

It's a preview model, they can't even access all the BC games on it and are force embargoed by shit being locked down.

There's a good chance it's using the Xbox One X UI out of convenience and, further, reviewers still aren't allowed to show or talk about it much.

I'd say there's a good chance they patch in 4k, as Jeff speculates.

LordOfChaos

As John said, this is disappointing. They should have a 4k ready interface. I guess moving forward with the full React Native reimplementation they will eventually get it.

Is the UI made with React Native? I knew the store and the Xbox app were

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This is the first xboxx development that disappoints me.

I'm sure the Microsoft engineers are very competent and have a very good reason.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Top Bottom