• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S render their home UIs in 1080p, SDR

Errmh... are we sure this is the world's most powerful console?, so far what we've seen and learned from it sure don't make it look like it. Sure quote numbers all you want (I know numbers state that it is indeed the most powerful console, not by as big a margin as many hope it is), but... proof is in the pudding and the pudding so far has had a very lackluster taste.

Sometimes, I wonder that as well. I kind of get a PS3 vibe from the XSX while the PS5 is the X360. Technically, it’s more powerful on paper, but getting the PS3 to look and perform better than the X360 was a near insurmountable task at times for the first few years, especially with third party games. We’ll see as time goes by.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Console wars are fun to watch. This thread proves that anything, no matter how insignificant, will be used as ammo. Seriously, if the XB1X has been fine at 1080p I am sure the Series X will too. I am sure MS will push 4K assets now that it is being tweeted about.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Just because you have a small tv, doesn't mean other people play on that... The 4k dash on the Pro looks alot better on my Pseudo 4k projector, it really is a big difference, but to each there own I guess
Hahaha I guarantee that my 55” OLED that’s rated one of the best TVs in history for gaming gives a better picture than your projector. I prefer to watch on the best, but you do you.

Oh and I see you have to turn HDR off because it makes your picture “blurry” on your amazing projector lol. Remember that time you tried to shame me for having a 55” OLED? XD

So it’s not okay for people to “concern troll on Xbox”, but you saying it’s the only thing that will run at a stable 4K with high frame rates is fine ? You seem to troll PlayStation yourself, so don’t expect others not to troll Xbox.
That was clearly a joke, settle down lol.

Last edited:

All_Might

Hahaha I guarantee that my 55” OLED that’s rated one of the best TVs in history for gaming gives a better picture than your projector. I prefer to watch on the best, but you do you.

Oh and I see you have to turn HDR off because it makes your picture “blurry” on your amazing projector lol. Remember that time you tried to shame me for having a 55” OLED? XD

But that´s essentially what trolling is all about isn´t it ? Dude don´t get me wrong, I am not saying you did something bad or anything, I take it all in good fun and sports. But just like you joke about things, you should take others as such. Most people commenting with "concern" about this console having a 1080p UI, have 0 interest in it other then trolling :D This was not meant as an attack, hope it wasn´t taken as such ~

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Console wars are fun to watch. This thread proves that anything, no matter how insignificant, will be used as ammo. Seriously, if the XB1X has been fine at 1080p I am sure the Series X will too. I am sure MS will push 4K assets now that it is being tweeted about.

You're right. This is console wars at it's finest. Now all of a sudden a 12TF console with "supposed" faster RAM doesn't even have a 4K UI? And it's being treated like 1080p UI is good? Like what?

Bridges

I was hoping this would be updated in the jump from XB1X to XBSX but it's not a deal breaker. My TV takes a couple seconds every time it opens an applicable game to "enter 4K mode" and then changes back whenever I hit the dashboard, most people's TVs probably don't operate like this but it would've been nice to have it not need to transition.

INC

Power your dreams, dream for a 4k update.

I mean........this makes no sense to me, unless its to cut back for load times, between swapping to dashboard, to another etc etc

I would drop the UI of both consoles to Switch level 720p and black and white if it meant I got an extra FPS or two that's how little I care for something I see for a few seconds at a time.

I could understand if you are using a console as a media centre though as you would want it to look crisp but all I do is game on my consoles.

Kuranghi

I'm okay with SDR too. In HDR, white texts become too bright for my liking - although it would have been nice to have 4k UI resolution with sharper text.

That shouldn't be happening, its because in SDR they've (not always, but often) set the white of the UI to "max white" so it has the best chance of standing out even a dull TV, but when you switch to HDR mode in the game its often the same HUD and when an SDR "max white" value is sent out in an HDR container the display will make it as bright as its backlight is set, which will be maximum since HDR mode switches the TV backlight to maximum.

Hopefully they will stop doing this soon or at least add a slider to darken it to your needs, its almost painful for me to view the Ghost of Tsushima menu in HDR in at night on my TV.

They DID add a UI brightness slider to the game... but it only increases the brightness 🤦‍♂️. Which is more for OLEDs, as when they try to show large bright areas they automatically dim due to energy limits so need a boost in that regard.

Meanwhile people like me on ultra-high brightness FALD LCDs just have to put up with being blinded lol So I feel your "bright-text"-pain mate.

Connxtion

Never noticed on XB1X 🤷‍♂️ Getting my new CX Sunday so will see how it looks on that. But to be honest straight lines scale up fine.

But in saying that, the new UI has rounded corners so will see Sunday how it looks.

But really for the 5 mins of staring at the UI (think what can I be bothered playing today) and 1 sec of pressing A to launch the game. I don’t really care much if it’s 1080p, 1440p or 4K as long as it launches my games am good.

On a side note, don’t like the new manage install menu for content 😂 took me a couple mins to work out how to move content to a different drive 😩

onQ123

I mean you literally said it is having problems running a 4K UI so it’s currently 1080p. How is that any different in the concern stakes?

At least I guess you don’t seem to be as deep in as this guy.....

So you think that they have problems getting a UI to run at 4K? You are seriously suggesting that?

Oh boy lol.

SMH keep deflecting every time Xbox Series X fall short & attacking anyone talking about the issues it will help a lot good work buddy

JCK75

They updated the One X UI to full 4K once and developers wanted them to revert it so they could get an extra gig of RAM back..
I think I'll take more resources for the games themselves over a fancier looking UI.

soulbait

Bummed that so far it is not in 4K: sure, okay.

Concerned this mean anything about the console's quality or it effects how I feel if I have value in the console or not: absolutely not.

mckmas8808

They updated the One X UI to full 4K once and developers wanted them to revert it so they could get an extra gig of RAM back..
I think I'll take more resources for the games themselves over a fancier looking UI.

But we are talking about the XSX here, not the Xbox One X.

Who really gives a damn about this? Put it in 720p if it frees up another GB for devs.

*Edit: Hell, make the OS a version of DOS (Not possible, I know) if it gives almost all of the 16GB to developers.

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

Haha you are a real warrior kid, don't get so upset when someone says something about Xbox you don't like lol

When you have a huge screen it's nice to have a higher res, never claimed my projector is awesome, just stated it's pseudo 4k, I like it, and thats all that matters to me.

I diden't say anything bad about your small tv, more power to you if your happy with it, thats the most important thing.

I think it's a shame the XSex doesn't have a 4k UI, i just expect them to be the best is all. I will still buy a Xsex, probably late 2021 when there will be games available I want to play.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Yeah, as a 4K OLED panel owner, and as a future PS5 / Series X owner, I simply do not care. So the UI is going to be a bit blurry, ever slightly so. As long as the games are operating at a proper resolution, along with their own UI, I honestly do not see what is the big deal here. Plus, if it really means more RAM available for devs then I'm all for it.

KAOS

Very happy with the UI they showed for the ps 5 and could care less that Xbox's UI is in 1080p! What matter's more to me is the functionality of the UI! I still don't see anything regarding music/custom soundtracks options on the Xbox UI which is something I hope Sony expands on with theirs!

Why is there so much fuss around this? Yes it's 1080p, so what? Didn't Aaron Greenberg explain 7 years ago any resolution you look at is the resolution you want it to be. Say if it's 900p resolution you're looking at, you can let your mind tell you that you're looking at 1080p. Similarly 1080p resolution is 4K resolution in your mind.

NullZ3r0

Banned
But we are talking about the XSX here, not the Xbox One X.
This has nothing to do with computational power difference. The issue is memory. The UI needs to be at the gamer's beck and call and so needs to reside in memory at all times.

If MS new dashboard can live in the same amount of memory at 4K as it currently does in 1080p, then its a no-brainer. But if it's less memory for games, forget about it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
How am I supposed to read what’s on the screen with pixels the size of legos!
200.gif

This has nothing to do with computational power difference. The issue is memory. The UI needs to be at the gamer's beck and call and so needs to reside in memory at all times.

If MS new dashboard can live in the same amount of memory at 4K as it currently does in 1080p, then its a no-brainer. But if it's less memory for games, forget about it.

Jeff Grubb did tweet that there's a possibility that Microsoft releases a patch to have the UI at 4K at launch.

mckmas8808

I think they said in an interview that the PS5 OS uses a similar amount of ram as the PS4 does.

That'll be really shocking if true. Almost too good to believe actually.

Then does it have anything to do with the split memory bandwidth of the RAM in the XSX?

Bridges

Is XOX running it at 4K?

They should fix it asap, 1080 dashboard is unacceptable.
XB1X has had a 1080p dashboard since launch. It's not a massive deal but it would've been nice to see.

I agree with the consensus though that if this means more power for games then it's the right call

That'll be really shocking if true. Almost too good to believe actually

Well this is what was said about that.

"Hardware resource is limited and defined, and it's shared between the game and our system side," confirms Hideaki Nishino. "We define how much of the resource can be spent by the system side, but it's a similar amount [to] what we are doing with PlayStation 4. That's a philosophical thing: we are trying to give as much power and resource as possible back to the game side, because the game is the core, and then we bring Control Centre and Activity Cards while minimising the [system] resources we spend."

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Does it really matter? 1080p is fine for a UI, sure 4k would be better but it's suitable for what needs to be displayed

The current most powerful console in the world has 1080p UI and it's miles ahead of the competition, which has 4k UI.
Miles ahead on what?

Exclusives?
Launch titles?
Ray tracing?
Loading times?
Graphics?

So far the most powerful console in the world
is miles ahead by 2tflops on a spec sheet.

Does it really matter? 1080p is fine for a UI, sure 4k would be better but it's suitable for what needs to be displayed

Miles ahead on what?

Exclusives?
Launch titles?
Ray tracing?
Loading times?
Graphics?

So far the most powerful console in the world
is miles ahead by 2tflops on a spec sheet.

I'm talking about the Xbox One X Vs PS4Pro, not next gen consoles. Obviously Xbox One X outperformed the latter on a technical level, yet had a 1080p dash - thus it's not a power issue, but by design.

JLB

Banned
I0ve said on page 1 that no 4k dash is dissapointing.
Now, how the resolution of the dash becomes a console war bulletpoint is outstanding. Every millimeter counts on the console war dick contest.

RScrewed

I'm not only cancelling my pre-order, I am selling all my previous Microsoft consoles out of protest.

I love how "HD" has always been a moving target. Not having a 4k UI is disappointing but when did 1080p shift to being "Standard Definition"? Wasn't that 480i?

Marketers need to take a page from technical specs, like XGA, UXGA, VGA, etc.

Top Bottom