• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S render their home UIs in 1080p, SDR

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’ve got a LG OLED but thanks for trying. You have fun playing the dashboard in 2025 because it’s probably the only stable high frame rate 4K thing you’ll get on your PS5 ;)

People in here are legitimately wanting to take RAM away from games in order to have a higher native resolution of the dashboard. The dashboard. This is absurd. Fanboyism taken to the next level.

I’ve seen you delight in ‘bad’ news about Ps5 repeatedly.

If you heard Ps5’s UI was only 1080p, you’d be wallowing in it.

Stop hurling around accusations of fanboyism every time somebody questions a decision.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Jeff Grubb did tweet that there's a possibility that Microsoft releases a patch to have the UI at 4K at launch.
Fat chance unless they can squeeze it in the same memory. I thought this was the purpose of the UI update. It was supposedly faster and smaller. We'll see. But it better not be an extra MB of memory.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm talking about the Xbox One X Vs PS4Pro, not next gen consoles. Obviously Xbox One X outperformed the latter on a technical level, yet had a 1080p dash - thus it's not a power issue, but by design.
Sorry the "Miles ahead" threw me off

gundalf

Technically I don't give a fuck, but on the other hand it is another signal how awful Microsoft treats high-dpi UIs across their products (specially Windows 10).

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I’m not a fan of warring. I wish both sides would settle down. You have the Xbox that was always saying how the PS5 is weak and now you have Sony fans laughing about the UI.

We all game, it doesn’t matter what plastic box you use. The attacks from both sides need to just settle down. We could have a lot of fun if both sides weren’t so darn committed to finding every little thing wrong with the competitions box.

5fe56d58f93604743076e71a410db5ef.gif

I thought that brut powa will run the UI in 8K HDR20++Dolby

LordOfChaos

Definitely the reason for this.

Fwiw, the One X spent its entire life on 1080p, there was no update that made 4K smaller to somehow fit.

The Pro alternatively added a gig of DRAM, using half for the 4K UI and giving half a gig of GDDR back to developers.

So if the Series X doesn't have a DRAM to offload some slow stuff like that, it's not assured that they could ever fit a 4K UI in a smaller memory footprint, once you've given RAM to developers and games are out that use it, you can't ever claw it back.

sainraja

But it is also something some people use to quickly dismiss opinions/statements that they don't agree with or like to hear. You guys do realize you're posting on a forum where you will hear diverse opinions? Very different than your own!

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Kinda weird. I guess it is expected for a 4k console to have a 4k UI. At the same time, it is not what is important on a game console.

MrFunSocks

Banned
But that´s essentially what trolling is all about isn´t it ? Dude don´t get me wrong, I am not saying you did something bad or anything, I take it all in good fun and sports. But just like you joke about things, you should take others as such. Most people commenting with "concern" about this console having a 1080p UI, have 0 interest in it other then trolling :D This was not meant as an attack, hope it wasn´t taken as such ~
The difference between trolling and joking is that trolling is generally pretending to be seriously arguing disingenuously, whereas joking is clearly taking the piss. I thought the wink face and the post itself was clear in making it a joke, but in such sensitive topics like console wars I guess I should have expected some people to overlook things like that unfortunately.

Fwiw, the One X spent its entire life on 1080p, there was no update that made 4K smaller to somehow fit.

The Pro alternatively added a gig of DRAM, using half for the 4K UI and giving half a gig of GDDR back to developers.

So if the Series X doesn't have a DRAM to offload some slow stuff like that, it's not assured that they could ever fit a 4K UI in a smaller memory footprint, once you've given RAM to developers and games are out that use it, you can't ever claw it back.
Making it 720p would be even better, I play games not home screens.

But it is also something some people use to quickly dismiss opinions/statements that they don't agree with or like to hear. You guys do realize you're posting on a forum where you will hear diverse opinions? Very different than your own!

Of course, opinions are a given. FUD and concern trolling are also ever present. These ideas are not mutually exclusive. If someone has a legit concern it is worth discussion. Most of the "concern" expressed in a thread like this is transparently obvious console warrior nonsense. You can excuse that as people just "expressing opinions", but that's not in many/most cases the truth. People are of course entitled to their opinions, but not their own facts. Uninformed opinions should be corrected and FUD/concern trolling should be called out. It's the nature of the beast. If someone can't handle the heat in the kitchen then GTFO.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It’s very easy to tell concern trolling from an opinion.

If your “opinion” is that Microsoft can’t get a UI running in 4K and that it is indicative of them and the console having problems, that’s concern trolling because it is literally inventing something to be concerned about. If the console can’t run a UI in 4K then there is no way it could even run an indie game. It’s inventing something to pretend to be concerned about. If you legitimately think that a 12TF console that’s running games in native 4K can’t run a menu in 4K then I’m sorry but you’re just flat out dumb.

i swear people don’t actually understand what an opinion actually is, and just think they can use “it’s my opinion” as a way to concern troll, thinking they’ve discovered some super loophole.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Haha you are a real warrior kid, don't get so upset when someone says something about Xbox you don't like lol

When you have a huge screen it's nice to have a higher res, never claimed my projector is awesome, just stated it's pseudo 4k, I like it, and thats all that matters to me.

I diden't say anything bad about your small tv, more power to you if your happy with it, thats the most important thing.

I think it's a shame the XSex doesn't have a 4k UI, i just expect them to be the best is all. I will still buy a Xsex, probably late 2021 when there will be games available I want to play.

Edit: grammar
Lol you act like my top of the line 55” “small” tv that is better than your shitty “can’t even do hdr or 4K” projector is worse just because it’s smaller lol. I’ll take 55” 4KHDR OLED over a 1080p projector any day, as would anyone else that actually cares about resolution or picture quality. If I wanted a crap projector wouldn’t I have just saved some money and bought one instead? Lol

“Pseudo 4K” lol. Jesus Christ. That’s some terrible attempt to make it sound better than it is. Enjoy your terrible blurry giant picture

MrFunSocks

Banned
I’ve seen you delight in ‘bad’ news about Ps5 repeatedly.

If you heard Ps5’s UI was only 1080p, you’d be wallowing in it.

Stop hurling around accusations of fanboyism every time somebody questions a decision.
I don’t “delight” in any bad news lol. What “bad news” about the PS5 have I delighted in exactly? If you’re going to accuse me of that you must have evidence at hand, right?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don’t “delight” in any bad news lol. What “bad news” about the PS5 have I delighted in exactly? If you’re going to accuse me of that you must have evidence at hand, right?

I forgot that ssd speeds are what give us amazing games. Games like RDR2, The Last of Us 2, Bloodborne, Forza Horizon, etc are only possible with super duper cerny SSDs, right?

So many people on here are going to be incredibly disappointed when the only thing the Cerny Magic SSD gives them is slightly faster loading times while 99% of games look and perform better on the Series X.

I highly doubt they'll do one. I also highly doubt they're even going to send out review/preview units before release. They know they've been beaten on hardware in both terms of power and design. They know that third party games are going to look and run better on the competition in every way other than loading times. They have a massive fanbase that is going to buy the console already, so why bother giving the media ammo to use to give a negative impression? It just makes no sense.

Sony don't need to let people do breakdowns or analysis of their games to sell the console. The only thing that can do is harm them. Much like how demos for games died because all the research showed that it does more harm than good for game sales. Sony will sell every PS5 they can make without a breakdown etc, so why would they do one?

Man the bullshit overhyping for a remastered PS3 game has reached peak levels now lol.

he didn’t? What’s he mean by this then:

Demons souls is a PS3 game no matter how many coats of paint you put on it. How in the hell can a game that’s on the PS3 be a full blown next gen game when it’s literally the PS3 game with better graphics?

I guess that makes Gears 5 a full blown next gen game too since it’s getting a shiny new coat of paint too. Halo 5 as well.

It‘s very easy to check people’s past posts you know, and took less than a minute to find some of your console warring.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It‘s very easy to check people’s past posts you know, and took less than a minute to find some of your console warring.
I know it is, which is why I asked for receipts. None of what you just quoted backs up what you accused me of. Try again.

better yet, why not try attacking the post instead of the poster and trying to make it personal? PM me if you want to have a cry about me, don’t shit up the thread with multi quotes for trying to create schoolyard drama.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
How is it that UI resolution matters? It feels like this is being touted because Sony is doing it. Not to say it's not an advantage...I mean a win is a win. However, this is pretty trivial.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I know it is, which is why I asked for receipts. None of what you just quoted backs up what you accused me of. Try again.

better yet, why not try attacking the post instead of the poster and trying to make it personal? PM me if you want to have a cry about me, don’t shit up the thread with multi quotes for trying to create schoolyard drama.

If I see someone accusing another poster of fanboyism of the highest level, when they themselves conduct themselves that way, I will bring attention to it. If you don’t do that, no need to say anything, eh?

Allandor

That'll be really shocking if true. Almost too good to believe actually.

Then does it have anything to do with the split memory bandwidth of the RAM in the XSX?
2.5-3 GB for the System is still to much. PS3 and xb360 needed much, much less (and chat, achievements, ... was possible there, too). Yes those had also less functionality, but there aren't so many new features here. Also we should count in, that were with xb1/ps4 things were cached for the OS in memory, now they can reload those things from the SSD fast. The OS memory footprint is just to high since the current gen. I really don't know why they reserve this much memory but I guess it has also something to do with recording everything in real time for screenshots and video clips.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Xbox adds HDR to old games with no dev input needed :Crickets

Sony adds HDR to ui: Internet breaks down

It's funny as fuck what passes as positive news.

Fwiw I've said many times on here that auto HDR is awesome and they're besting Sony on the BC story.

News is news, you don't have to care about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FrankWza

Peak concern trolling here.

The current most powerful console in the world has 1080p UI and it's miles ahead of the competition, which has 4k UI.

Power has nothing to do with it, it's about how much RAM is available for game performance.

but didnt that console come out a full year later? And miles ahead in terms of power...yeah, But it had a full year to make that jump.Next gen is more like an inch either way. And besides, there are significantly more 4K TVs in peoples homes now than there were in 2017.

MaulerX

This matters more to people who spend more time navigating the dashboard than actually playing games.

This does however bring up a more deep and profound question that will in fact matter more than anything: How much RAM does Sony allocate to games on PS5? In the past (with the PS4/Pro) Sony was real quick to emphasize the extra Dram to aid the OS. They haven't said a single word on this for PS5. We know that a 4K dashboard and that Picture-in-Picture will come at an extra cost to RAM allocation. Again, not a single word on this and zero mention of extra Dram in their tear-down video.

We know since March that the Series X uses 13.5GB for games and 2.5GB for the OS. If it turns out that a 1080p dashboard means more RAM for games then I'll take that a million times over a 4K dashboard that leaves less RAM for games.

Top Bottom