• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S render their home UIs in 1080p, SDR

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I also wanted to point out that the new store pages for Xbox are horrible compared to what they were. You can’t even watch a trailer or video full screen now? Wtf!?

We know since March that the Series X uses 13.5GB for games and 2.5GB for the OS. If it turns out that a 1080p dashboard means more RAM for games then I'll take that a million times over a 4K dashboard that leaves less RAM for games.
Let's make a command line console!

That being said, I don't care for the picture in picture feature, nor 90% of what a console os does, I'd be very happy with a menu over a black background.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For the people that say it doesn't matter at all......would you care if MS made the UI 720p, but gave developers another 512 MBs of RAM? Like why stop at 1080?

Dibils2k

i mean its a pretty simple answer, its the best middle ground

majority have 1080p TVs still, 1080p UI is passable on 4k TV (where as 720p would be pushing it). its not rocket science

this is from someone who thinks its pathetic that we arent getting a 4K UI with next gen

Banned
For the people that say it doesn't matter at all......would you care if MS made the UI 720p, but gave developers another 512 MBs of RAM? Like why stop at 1080?

I would even go as far and say 480p if it frees up resources for games.

the console UI's graphical fidelity is the by far least important thing about a console.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Still not caring 🤣 but Cyberpunk looks best on Series consoles .. and it’s about games, right?
Still caring and :LOL: great example of a game you chose there, but sure it does look best on it (they even give you pauses in the gameplay to marvel at stills), but hey when you feel desperate to claim any win for warring purposes... 🤷‍♂️.

Reactions: Rea

IDappa

Having an XSX and PS5, the XSX UI looks bad compared to the PS5. On the PS5 I feel like I'm spending less time in menus to find content compared to the XSX.

At least both systems finally have the horsepower to run their UI's without much menu lag.
What do you find so hard about the Xbox UI?. I find it extremely hard to lose myself in menus on it even if I tried.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What do you find so hard about the Xbox UI?. I find it extremely hard to lose myself in menus on it even if I tried.

In general it has better options (more fine grained I mean) and the HDR calibration screens and the final comparison image is better designed / gives better feedback than on PS5.

It has lots of options and menus and sub menus though: they expose a lot of options/configs but the hierarchy could stand to be simplified somewhat.
It does mix the social aspect, LIVE and GP promotions, and your own content in sometimes a bit more confusing mix than on PS5 where it is more focused around your games.

The Xbox UI feels more of a design by committee UI/UX where marketing (acquisition [conversion to Gold and GPU] and retention) screamed at every opportunity for slots to insert promotions and user attention grabbing content. The groups that manage/run GamePass also pressed for screen real estate and nobody wanted to be below the fold (whatever requires the user to scroll) nor in a separate sub section.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Problem is once u use the ps5 UI, xsx ui feels like a downgrade,it should not feel like that, ms really need to put a 4k UI soon.

The PS5 buries functions and features under layers of menus. I would rather have ease of use over something being nice to look at. But if I had what I wanted I would rather get both. Make it nice to look at and easy to use. Sony menus have been cumbersome for the past 2 generations.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Problem is once u use the ps5 UI, xsx ui feels like a downgrade,it should not feel like that, ms really need to put a 4k UI soon.

At least the Xbox UI is stable. I'd take 1080p and stable over the delicate PS5 that you don't know if it'll crash or not when you click on an icon.

oldergamer

Having an XSX and PS5, the XSX UI looks bad compared to the PS5. On the PS5 I feel like I'm spending less time in menus to find content compared to the XSX.

At least both systems finally have the horsepower to run their UI's without much menu lag.
Why surface this thread when MS said they would fix the UI resolution post launch?

At least the Xbox UI is stable. I'd take 1080p and stable over the delicate PS5 that you don't know if it'll crash or not when you click on an icon.
Because ps5 cant update the ui, stop being a fanboy, its great u like the xbox ui, it would be even better in 4k and hdr, it just dose not make sence to have 4k console with 1080p ui,

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Because ps5 cant update the ui, stop being a fanboy, its great u like the xbox ui, it would be even better in 4k and hdr, it just dose not make sence to have 4k console with 1080p ui,

I'm not being a fanboy. I own both systems (and 2 PS5s) and play them A LOT.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

What it needs to be is HDR, the switch on my tv between games and home menu is jarring af

This. I also have a weird issue with my C9 on 120Hz where it flickers on the Series X menu a bit when the TV is in PC mode for that input. Fine in games but a bit annoying with the menu. In fairness it also does it in the Destiny 2 character screen so I wonder if it's more a TV/console communication issue when there's lots of static items on screen.

I went to plug in my controller into my Xbox yesterday to charge, and since my head was nearly up against my screen I noticed that it was in fact a 1080p image after all. Looked pretty bad in that setting.

ReBurn

Gold Member
No they did not say they will be updating to 4k, they just said they will consider it, lets hope they update it soon, the experience needs to be on par with the ps5.
Honestly I don't really see how a native 4K dashboard vs an upscaled dashboard would improve the overall experience. Is anyone really going to be like "man, look at the detail in these tiles! They are so crisp and clear from my couch 2 meters away! I could play this dashboard all day!"

ManaByte

Gold Member
Honestly I don't really see how a native 4K dashboard vs an upscaled dashboard would improve the overall experience. Is anyone really going to be like "man, look at the detail in these tiles! They are so crisp and clear from my couch 2 meters away! I could play this dashboard all day!"

I'm sure if you told the average person that the UI isn't in 4K they'd laugh at you for even being concerned about such a thing.

FrankWza

depends on your tv and how youre set up. Going from 1080 to 4K and non hdr to hdr is weird. It’s unnecessary. Make it 4K. It’s a 4K machine with 8k capabilities.

Why are xbox fans getting upset over this, even if ur happy with 1080p, surly everyone can agree it would be better in 4k, unless u think xsx can't handle a 4k ui that is fast and stable lol. Hell they can even have a option as u guys seem to prefer 1080p over 4k for some reason.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why are xbox fans getting upset over this, even if ur happy with 1080p, surly everyone can agree it would be better in 4k, unless u think xsx can't handle a 4k ui that is fast and stable lol. Hell they can even a option as u guys seem to prefer 1080p over 4k for some reason.

Why was a two month old thread bumped?

Brute

I've got a Series X and PS5 and prefer the latter's UI. Geting from point A to B is quicker.

PS4 UI still beats them both though. Series X is my favourite console at moment too - very impressed with it.

Top Bottom