• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S: Designing the Next Generation of Consoles

Yams

Always interesting to read about the rationale that goes into a design. It seems like Microsoft designed both consoles to seamlessly fit into a living space whereas Sony wanted to make the PS5 a focal point of the room.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
I wanted to know why they went with the big black circle on the S. I thought it was to draw attention to the vent so that you don't stack anything on top. But their rationale is that it actually draws attention away from the venting holes. If it were all white, we would notice the venting holes.

TLZ

Banned
I wanted to know why they went with the big black circle on the S. I thought it was to draw attention to the vent so that you don't stack anything on top. But their rationale is that it actually draws attention away from the venting holes. If it were all white, we would notice the venting holes.
All I see is the giant black circle every time I see the S....

Spokker

Rethinking getting an Xbox Series X if it's going to create a goddamn tornado in my house.

Last edited:
I really love the minimalistic design if the XBox Series X & S :)

The PlayStation 5 design on the other hand is too futuristic for my taste, I really like curves on woman but not on consoles ;)

Journey

Banned
It also looks like a stove, doesn't mean I can cook on it.

Keeping the tradition alive
9268e05492064cfbb3b194c08b69f9d9.jpg

Thanks Mark great advice. You should charge for your great advice.

I’m not upset at all. Its all next gen except a gimped GPU and ram pool.

Oh but you are upset judging by the way you just stroll in to take shots at the console. If you don't like it then don't buy it it's as simple as that, no need to cry about it every thread you enter.

sircaw

Banned
I do like the way it all slots together in a very neat package.

Very compact. Must be some extremely precise engineering there.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Oh but you are upset judging by the way you just stroll in to take shots at the console. If you don't like it then don't buy it it's as simple as that, no need to cry about it every thread you enter.
I’m not firing shots that’s my opinion. Series X is a great machine. Series S is not.

I’m not firing shots that’s my opinion. Series X is a great machine. Series S is not.
It actually is though for it's price.

Do me a favour, show me a PC build (brand new parts only, i'll wait) that can match it for performance/price ratio. I get what you're trying to say, it's not as powerful (or in your juvenile words "gimped"), but that doesn't take away what it can do for the price it is. Not only that, lots of people don't earn a lot and something this cheap can make a big difference to a relatively poor family at Christmas, or just in general. Not everyone is diehard like you, and it will appeal to the mass consumer on price alone.

You might have an opinion, but it is a shit one.

Zoro7

Banned
It actually is though for it's price.

Do me a favour, show me a PC build (brand new parts only, i'll wait) that can match it for performance/price ratio. I get what you're trying to say, it's not as powerful (or in your juvenile words "gimped"), but that doesn't take away what it can do for the price it is. Not only that, lots of people don't earn a lot and something this cheap can make a big difference to a relatively poor family at Christmas, or just in general. Not everyone is diehard like you, and it will appeal to the mass consumer on price alone.

You might have an opinion, but it is a shit one.
When did I even mention PC gaming? Show me video footage of what the series S is able to produce?
You may have an option but it’s a fanboys ones.

CobraXT

Banned
How to design an Xbox console ? easy
use a ruler and an hb pencil lol .. unlike the PS5 they dont look ugly but i dont see anything speacial tbh

We have this much detail about a series x and even some physical tear downs by third parties and on the other side of the fence we have a cg trailer and not one physical look at the box or the design

I really hope Sony hurry up and give the same treatment the xbox has been getting

ZywyPL

Banned

Seriously, what stopped them from designing XSS something like this:

Ehfh32l-Xg-AYJWkx.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Courtesy of Xbox Wire.

Goes into the design principles of each machine.

Very nice article, quite like this quote: “unifying our hardware language while maintaining the personality each product deserves”. I have to applaud modern design commitment by MS, they changed a lot over the years.

I am not that fond of the XSX look (too bland for my tastes), but at least it does not hurt my eyes like PS5 does... sigh...

Last edited:
Top Bottom