• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X controller... thumbsticks still feel weird

Riven326

Banned
I've had an X1X for about a year now and while I love the console itself, the controller has always felt off to me. Specially the thumbsticks. I don't know exactly what it is, but they just feel off.

I recently purchased the Series X controller and I think it's noticeably improved in a few areas, except the thumbsticks. There is a small amount more resistance, but they still don't feel right.

Compared to both the Dualshock 4 and Xbox 360 controllers, two of the best controllers I've ever used, it seems like the dead zone is larger on the Series X controller, and perhaps that is why I just can't get used to it. I honestly wish I could use my 360 controller, as I feel aside from the lackluster dpad, it was damn near perfect.

Anyways, I wanted to post my thoughts here about Microsoft's latest controller and I would like your opinions as well. Have you had any issues with the thumbsticks on these newer Xbox controllers?

FrankWza

I've had an X1X for about a year now and while I love the console itself, the controller has always felt off to me. Specially the thumbsticks. I don't know exactly what it is, but they just feel off.

I recently purchased the Series X controller and I think it's noticeably improved in a few areas, except the thumbsticks. There is a small amount more resistance, but they still don't feel right.

Compared to both the Dualshock 4 and Xbox 360 controllers, two of the best controllers I've ever used, it seems like the dead zone is larger on the Series X controller, and perhaps that is why I just can't get used to it. I honestly wish I could use my 360 controller, as I feel aside from the lackluster dpad, it was damn near perfect.

Anyways, I wanted to post my thoughts here about Microsoft's latest controller and I would like your opinions as well. Have you had any issues with the thumbsticks on these newer Xbox controllers?

they’re too tall. Take them out and sand them down from the base until they feel better
Edit:
Buy some aftermarket ones and practice with those until you get the right height

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Personally after switching from my XB360 controllers to the XB1 controller, I could never go back.

If it bothers you that much, get one of these: [Wingman XB] https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/59327520/

Should allow to use an Xbox 360 or PS4 controller on your X1X or your Series X.

Another alternative is the Elite V2 controller, as you can adjust the tension of the thumbsticks to your liking.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I personally feel the series controller has improved over the x360 controller in every aspect; couldn't get over the xb1 controller's trash dpad, but now I feel I can finally replace all my x360 pads. Gonna wait for the "chrome purple" ones to be made for the series controller.

Last edited:

The Shepard

The only thing that took some getting used to are the smaller triggers for me but that soon went and I think the controller is excellent, I didn't even notice the sticks were different. The dpads much improved to, I hated the xbox one dpad with a passion. The bumpers are improved slightly but I wish theyd go for a more Sony style, where they feel more like a face button.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Sticks definitely felt different to me initially. They seemed smaller.

Only noticeable improvement they have made is the dpad.

Naked Lunch

The tension needs to be higher in the xb1 sticks. Just too loose. I still cant use the sniper rifle on XB1 Halo MCC - when I had no issue on 360. I messed with the deadzone settings within the MCC control options for months but in my mind, the loose sticks are the issue.

Banned

the Xbox One and Series X controllers both have a way smaller deadzone than the 360 controller. and they have identical deadzones from what I tried.

the SX sticks differ from the Xbox One controller but the only real difference is the slightest higher resistance (which I personally don't like but many do)

the rest of how they work is basically 100% identical, which they have to be because Xbox One and SX controllers both need to work on the same games.

Top Bottom