• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Exclusive Games From Xbox Game Studios Will Start Coming One Year After Launch

The Xbox Series X is releasing later this year, but it seems like it will take longer to see next-gen exclusive titles from Xbox Game Studios.

Speaking with MCV, Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty confirmed that all games coming from the studios over this year and the next will be cross-gen titles. This will allow those who invest in an Xbox console between now the Xbox Series X release to feel like they have made a good investment.
As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices. We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.
While there won't be Xbox Series X exclusive games at launch, Microsoft will still make sure to showcase the console's power and features with select franchises, like Halo.

Our approach is to pick one or two IP that we’re going to focus on and make sure that they’re there at the launch of the console, taking advantage of all the features. And for us, that’s going to be Halo Infinite, which is a big opportunity.
It’s the first time in over 15 years that we’ll have a Halo title launching in sync with a new console. And that team is definitely going to be doing things to take advantage of [Series X].

Jaxcellent

Ah the Achilles' heel...

I'm not really a fan of this strategy... Although I like backward compatible, it kinda means you will get a bit prettier graphics / better fps on the series X compared to the ONE X for the first year.

I'm kinda looking for games to really improve and do something not possible on the current gen of consoles. This strategy is good for my wallet though, now I can just wait a few years until true next gen Xbox games will be available...

Looking forward to Sony's strategy.

Dural

I'm kinda looking for games to really improve and do something not possible on the current gen of consoles.

There are always comments like these before the start of a new generation, what exactly are you looking for that couldn't be done on current gen? What on the current gen couldn't have been done on the previous gen? I mean we have games like Witcher 3 coming out on the Switch which is closer to a 7th gen console power wise.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
and why do you think sonys ps5 will have games earlier? I think their exclusive games will come 2022 at the earlierst.
PS5 has some games that could be 2021 or at launch
Wild
Demon Souls
Gran Turismo 7
Spider-man 2
Horizon 2
One of Supermassive's PS exclusives
Ratchet and Clank
The new studio's game (possibly Uncharted)

Last edited:

Heinrich

Banned
Wild
Demon Souls
Gran Turismo 7
Spider-man 2
Horizon 2
Ratchet and Clank

so? Same for Xbox. 2021 they will come in, so no difference. No way that those are coming in 2020.

Matt_Fox

"We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content. "

Committed to the dwindling last few buyers of old gen Xbox's... Uncommitted to buyers of expensive new Series X?

JLMC469

Banned
Wild
Demon Souls
Gran Turismo 7
Spider-man 2
Horizon 2
Ratchet and Clank

There's a decent chance most of them are cross-gen.

Same as Halo Infinite and most likely Forza.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
and why do you think sonys ps5 will have games earlier? I think their exclusive games will come 2022 at the earlierst.

Not only are there quite a few possible PS5 games like Horizon 2 or Demon's Souls (more at E3), PS4 has not been abandoned like Xbox One and those big PS4 2020 games will be playable on PS5 - The Last of Us Part 2, Final Fantasy VII, Ghosts of Tsushima, Nioh 2, etc.

Vawn

Banned
so? Same for Xbox. 2021 they will come in, so no difference. No way that those are coming in 2020.

We heard this the entire last generation. Hell, even at the later years of 360. "The game will come.... the games will come....".

As an early Xbox One adopter, I'm tired of promises. Show me the games. And not E3 trailers for games that get canceled or come out and are so bad that they should have been canceled.

People think that at launch all the titles will be using the new hardware exclusively?
A few titles maybe but that's what makes this upcoming Gen different than all the rest, compatibility at a hardware level to the previous Gen.
The situation will be identical for both Microsoft and Sony.
We will see. This is the first time that Microsoft would launch a new console with zero next gen exclusives. Sony and Nintendo are both aware of how important 1st party next gen games are for hardware adaptation.

i have no proof, but it certainly looks like Microsoft simply couldn't produce the next gen games fast enough, and as such had to come up with an excuse for having a 1 year lag. i don't believe for a second that this was intentional. Xbox was forced into it because their new acquisitions couldn't make games fast enough.

Last edited:
Not only are there quite a few possible PS5 games like Horizon 2 or Demon's Souls (more at E3), PS4 has not been abandoned like Xbox One and those big PS4 2020 games will be playable on PS5 - The Last of Us Part 2, Final Fantasy VII, Ghosts of Tsushima, Nioh 2, etc.
I expect some of those games such as Ghost of Tsushima will be advertised for the PS5 due to BC and I expect developers to implement enhancements to take advantage of the better hardware.

Yeah, those games may not "count" as "legit" PS5 games, but does that necessarily matter when they're new can be played on the PS5?

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
More than likely the same case for Sony. We can only wait and see as everything is conjecture at this point. But hey... NeoGaf loves conjecture.... so bring it on I suppose...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ah the Achilles' heel...

I'm not really a fan of this strategy... Although I like backward compatible, it kinda means you will get a bit prettier graphics / better fps on the series X compared to the ONE X for the first year.

I'm kinda looking for games to really improve and do something not possible on the current gen of consoles. This strategy is good for my wallet though, now I can just wait a few years until true next gen Xbox games will be available...

Looking forward to Sony's strategy.

I'm not really sure how common these types of "must be on current hardware" games will be going forward, judging by this last generation where IMO the games really didn't get push forward much. Even with much vaunted and unheard of technologies like SSD, I think the next five years of gaming will look a lot like the last five.

But even if I am totally wrong, you're not going to be getting those types of games in the first year. Go back to PS3, 360, PS4, etc. - the first year of games is mostly warmed over last-gen ports and pretty dodgy titles.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Microsoft would launch a new console with zero next gen exclusives
Where did I say zero, I'd be very surprised if they don't launch with something that shows off what the box is capable of.
Sony will do the same.
I expect the push to make exclusive titles will be a slow one, unless the new boxes sell like mad. Otherwise it's simply not cost effective to cut off an already defined audience like ps4/xbone owners

Where did I say zero, I'd be very surprised if they don't launch with something that shows off what the box is capable of.
Sony will do the same.
I expect the push to make exclusive titles will be a slow one, unless the new boxes sell like mad. Otherwise it's simply not cost effective to cut off an already defined audience like ps4/xbone owners
Where did YOU say zero?
Read the damn 1st post. The entire point of the thread is that Microsoft finally confirmed ZERO Scarlet exclusives at the launch of the console. That at the minimum it would be a year before Scarlet exclusives would come out. Did you even read it?

Matt_Fox

Xbox One has been out since 2013, and so showing commitment to those few utterly uncommitted buyers who've waited 7 years to get one seems like a smokescreen.

I suspect the real reason is the still tbc 'Lockhart' low end console - that's what they really need new games to function on.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I love how people think games take 10 minutes to make.

Bitch please. Some games took five years to make and that was on old ass hardware and fidelity. You would all be moaning if they came out looking like last gen trash.

Shit takes time yo.

Mista

Banned
Making games isn’t like making a cheese sandwich. Let all of them take their time so we can get decent games and for fuck sake stop turning every thread into a fight. You’re making it unpleasant for anyone that wants to have a decent discussion

Psykodad

Banned
Sony will definitely have 1 or 2 PS5 exclusives at launch.
Always has been the case.

Undoubtly 1 or 2 more during the first year.
Not necessarily well-known AAA titles, but you don't have to wait a whole year.

Dabaus

Banned
Heres our 500-600 dollar 12 teraflop console that can only play games based off of our 1.3 teraflop console from 7 years ago. Even IF sony only has 9.2 t flops they can brag that they have true next gen exclusives. Interesting how that would play out.

meirl

Banned
Sony will definitely have 1 or 2 PS5 exclusives at launch.
Always has been the case.

Undoubtly 1 or 2 more during the first year.
Not necessarily well-known AAA titles, but you don't have to wait a whole year.

well, who says that its going to be nextgen again? did they announce something? so is just based on your wishful thinking, not on FACTs. why is it so hard for sony fanboys to keep it to FACTS, why always all the wishful thinking stuff? lol

lastgen they had killzone shadow fall and knack:

Killzone had 73 metacritic score and 6.8 user score:

Knack had 54 metacritic score and 6.5 user score:

so many great exclusive games at launch :D yeah

see, this is how you do it. base your posts on FACTS - and not wishful thinking, rumors or other crap.

Psykodad

Banned
well, who says that its going to be nextgen again? did they announce something? so is just based on your wishful thinking, not on FACTs. why is it so hard for sony fanboys to keep it to FACTS, why always all the wishful thinking stuff? lol

lastgen they had killzone shadow fall and knack:

Killzone had 73 metacritic score and 6.8 user score:

Knack had 54 metacritic score and 6.5 user score:

so many great exclusive games at launch :D yeah

see, this is how you do it. base your posts on FACTS - and not wishful thinking, rumors or other crap.
Not the point.

Your claim is "no PS5 exclusive games before 2022".
You're delusional if you think that will happen.

Edit:

Forgot to add "exclusive games"

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
More than likely the same case for Sony. We can only wait and see as everything is conjecture at this point. But hey... NeoGaf loves conjecture.... so bring it on I suppose...
Aye ps3 and ps4 sony had fuck all at launch.
Big surprise.

I remember waiting a long ass time with my day 1 ps4 for some must buys to arrive.

meirl

Banned
Not the point.

Your claim is "no PS5 exclusive games before 2022".
You're delusional if you think that will happen.

Edit:

Forgot to add "exclusive games"
well, you are delusional if you think that they will release a PS5 (!) exclusive game - that will be ONLY PLAYABLE ON PS5 (and not PS4) - next year. no way this is going to happen

Psykodad

Banned
well, you are delusional if you think that they will release a PS5 (!) exclusive game - that will be ONLY PLAYABLE ON PS5 (and not PS4) - next year. no way this is going to happen
I know what PS5 exclusive means.

100% there will be at least 1 next year. Lol
Also, 100% at least one at launch.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Sony already said all first-party games at launch are exclusives to PS5.

God Fall is launch PS5 exclusive for example.

God Fall is the first announced.
There will more 2 or 3 exclusives at PS5 launch not reveled yet.

Edit - God Fall is console-exclusive.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned

Well they haven't spoken about release schedules at all yet so you along with the rest of us do not know. And if you think won't release a exclusive games for 2 years until after their brand new flagship system launches then I have some ocean front property I'll sell you in ohio for cheap.

meirl

Banned

yeah, I don't think so. Did Sony announce anything at all or how do you know? Or is it just wishful thinking and NOT based on facts?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I kind of expect PS5 games to be like this too.

I kind of like this strategy. I already have a PS4, if I buy a ps5 and a game it would be super if I got a PS4 version as well so my kids can play the PS4 and I'll play the ps5 but we can play together for one price and we can grow the library.

Might be wishful thinking though I admit

yeah, I don't think so. Did Sony announce anything at all or how do you know? Or is it just wishful thinking and NOT based on facts?
We are basing it on how Sony does things the last three times they launched a game console. Oh, and their complete radio silence all of 2019 on new titles.

We have history to count on. There is a reason most of us correctly predicted that the next Playstation is going to be called PS5; Sony know what worked last time. They will do what made them so successful in the industry, over and over again, until and unless it stops working.

Psykodad

Banned
I'm just gonna consider you trolling at this point.
Nobody who's an avid gamer will be dumb enough to think there won't be any PS5 exclusive before 2022.

That's literally the most delusional "Sony too" claim one can make at this point.

Sony already said all first-party games at launch are exclusives to PS5.

God Fall is launch PS5 exclusive for example.

God Fall is the first announced.
There will more 1 or 2 exclusives at PS5 launch not reveled yet.

I wasn't sure if Godfall is PS5 only or PS5 console-exclusive.
So decided not to mention it just to avoid more nonsense.

But if it's announced as PS5 only, than that's that.

Hobbygaming

Some of them could like Wild, Demon Souls, Gran Turismo 7, one of the unannounced Supermassive exclusives and other 3rd party exclusives

ethomaz

Banned
I wasn't sure if Godfall is PS5 only or PS5 console-exclusive.
So decided not to mention it just to avoid more nonsense.

But if it's announced as PS5 only, than that's that.
My mistake you are right.
God Fall is console-exclusive only (PS5 and EGS).

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
This is not a bad thing at all. I used to check out The last year of that current gen. Especially when so much used to be cross-gen ports that were mostly half assed launch games anyway.

As long as you’re not buying it twice and only need a single license or copy of the game.

Hobbygaming

There's a decent chance most of them are cross-gen.

Same as Halo Infinite and most likely Forza.
Sony never does crossgen games. They like to show what the new tech is capable of but if they did they'll still have games that are exclusive to the PS5 too

Last edited:
Top Bottom