• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Exclusive Games From Xbox Game Studios Will Start Coming One Year After Launch

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well, I don't expect either MS or Sony to have a dazzling offering of quality exclusives for at least a year after console release so this news doesn't sway me one way or another.

GametimeUK

I find it amazing how good Sony can be at controlling the narrative. During the run up to the PS4 launch the big talking point was how much more powerful the console was over Xbox One. Another talking point was Microsoft having shit business practices. Heck, for the first few years Xbox arguably had the better exclusive line up. Then the PS4 Pro comes out and the "world's most powerful console" narrative is still pushed.

Xbox One X is now the most powerful machine out, but now all the PS4 library of games is beefy to the point the narrative can be spun to games. Also Microsoft are probably the more pro consumer out of the two with services, store refunds, censorship, early access, cross play (yeah Sony and Microsoft are finally on the same page after back and forth).

It's just crazy how when Sony and Microsoft switch places, the narrative changes in Sony's favour along with it.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Im gona say...

This isnt good start for Xbox Series X...

Basically when youre launching a new system you need a nice shinny new game to launch with to entice people to buy it...

But i wish you all the best to anyone here interested to buy this minifridge on day one...

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
so far, which ps5 games got your attention?

Playstation always has the best foundation for games I'm talking in general .. Sony got me because the way they do things every Gen with exclusives games that define the Console ... I can list you the games but you know them and all have sequels 100% for the ps5

GOW
HZD
SPIDER MAN
UNCHARTED ( I HOPE )
BLOODBORNE
TLOU
And so on ...

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Im gona say...

This isnt good start for Xbox Series X...

Basically when youre launching a new system you need a nice shinny new game to launch with to entice people to buy it...

But i wish you all the best to anyone here interested to buy this minifridge on day one...
Exactly, there’s literally no reason to buy one. PC already plays all the game’s and now your One X will play all of them too.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Exactly, there’s literally no reason to buy one. PC already plays all the game’s and now your One X will play all of them too.
Sure just like there is never any reason to upgrade your graphics card I'm sure you are all rocking your voodoo rush or your nvidia tnt2. I'll take my 4k 60fps thank you very much.

The development of most launch games begin on the previous gen consoles. I seriously doubt Halo Infinite would look much better if MS decided to release it exclusively on the Series X and PC only. We don't see the power of new consoles till the second wave of games anyways. The OG Xbox was the most powerful console for the 6th Gen and Halo only looked slightly better than FPS games on the Dreamcast and Project Gotham Racing didn't look much better than Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. With Halo 2 and Project Gotham Racing 2 though, those games definitely felt like a generational leap in features and performance.

Microsoft has already abandoned the old console model anyways, with several mid-gen upgrades this current gen. When compared to Sony, Microsoft went from having the weakest console to having the most powerful console, all in one gen.

I'll still buy a Series X at launch, as the Series X will fit in nicely between PC upgrades for me and as a Halo fan, I'm geeked for Halo Infinite to launch with the Series X. I feel Halo Infinite has a great chance of being "The Game" when next gen starts and could be a system seller.
Hmmm, when you drop the support for lower specs the upgrade in visuals is very tangible. Give a look to Ryse: Son of Rome xbox360 prototype, it's on youtube.

However launch games have some limits too, there's a lot of optimization possible when you work on a closed platform

Ascend

" The console power "

No thanks.. you see I love games I dont care if your console has a monster inside that's why Sony got my attention from the start
Remember the PS3? It had nothing for the first year either... Sony is not always so great.

I for one don't really mind this... If it takes longer to release quality games with that being the cause for fewer at launch, I'll take that over having a bunch of buggy and glitchy games at launch. And it has Halo, their biggest franchise, so, I don't know wtf people are complaining about.

I guess it's popular to hate on Xbox.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe. Who knows.

At some point you got to cut the cord.

Even PCs do. How many modern AAA games can be played on an old ass spec PC running Windows XP or 7? Even if you run the game at the lowest settings you might not get it to run. It's called...... "minimum spec requirements"

Last edited:
Remember the PS3? It had nothing for the first year either... Sony is not always so great.

I for one don't really mind this... If it takes longer to release quality games with that being the cause for fewer at launch, I'll take that over having a bunch of buggy and glitchy games at launch. And it has Halo, their biggest franchise, so, I don't know wtf people are complaining about.

I guess it's popular to hate on Xbox.
So why is it that you are sayijng it is bad that Sony didn't have decent exclusives at launch with PS3, but then say iti s fine when Microsoft is doing it? Be consistent. We made fun of Knack for years, as we should. And now you say we can't make fun of MS doing the same with 1 year delays of next gen exclusives?

CyberPanda

Banned
19Aw7kE.jpg

XBFdIWu.jpg

spXoHt2.jpg

83Hklzz.jpg

vMdm8Ob.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure what is new about what is written there. But what is missing is the result of this business plan; namely, if the hardware is no longer important, then the hardware would become the millstone around Xbox.

Hardware is expensive to design, to produce, and to market. And the margin is razor thin. Unless the hardware reaches sales targets, it would not make economic sense to continue to make and sell consoles.

I know what other people are saying; that "you can branch out but still support Xbox consoles". But i really, really doubt it. Console Hardware is hard to get right, and if you don't take it seriously and support it 100%, it wouldn't be viable at all.

Psykodad

Banned
Well, I don't expect either MS or Sony to have a dazzling offering of quality exclusives for at least a year after console release so this news doesn't sway me one way or another.
You don't need 10/10 games, but it's smart to have games that show you something that can't be done on last-gen consoles.

BlackTron

I get why, they don't want to abandon what install base they have or make the One X an expensive brick too fast.

In the other hand, this makes the Series X hypeless and pointless. May as well wait two years when it will be cheaper anyway.

I wonder what features Halo will have on Series X that won't work on old hardware? I mean, everybody is still playing the same game online, right? So what's it going to be?

The really bad thing is, this way old hardware will hold back design of new games. An old CPU will need to be able to run the game. All this extra horsepower will probably just go into graphics settings, like skinning an old game that still plays exactly the same way anyway.

It's held back PC gaming, and now it's holding back next gen too lol.

Ascend

So why is it that you are sayijng it is bad that Sony didn't have decent exclusives at launch with PS3, but then say iti s fine when Microsoft is doing it? Be consistent. We made fun of Knack for years, as we should. And now you say we can't make fun of MS doing the same with 1 year delays of next gen exclusives?
That's not what I said at all. The one I was replying to basically said they are interested in Sony because they have more games. I simply reminded him of the PS3 not having that.
Then I mentioned that I do not mind few games at launch. No inconsistency here.

Roxkis_ii

People buy consoles to play games, so lunching a console without games specficly for it seem like a bad idea.

What's the point?

The consoles will still have third party exclusives, just there won't be any MAJOR first party exclusive for around a year if not a bit earlier. Smaller titles may still be a thing.

ruvikx

Banned
People buy consoles to play games, so lunching a console without games specficly for it seem like a bad idea.

What's the point?

Better looking games? aka the whole point of upgrading hardware. I bought a ps4 at release for Assassin's Creed Black Flag & the remaster of Tomb Raider which was released early the following year. Both were of course previous gen titles & both were of course also available on Xbox & PC as well.

On a personal note I'm finding the intrusion of console fanboyism in discussions here somewhat grating over the past few weeks. I have a ps4 (as I've already stated) & an Xbox One X. I like both, have enjoyed both & I'll certainly expect all the third party titles + cross platform titles to perform extremely well on the Series X late this year & in 2021. So what's the problem? One of my favorite games from this gen, i.e. Alien Isolation, had a PS3 & Xbox 360 release as well. Whoop-de-do, because it still looked & ran a hell of a lot better on the ps4.

That's why "people" will buy the Xbox Series X. Because the same rule applies to all games.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Not sure how I feel about this. I would have to see how games look between the old and new hardware. If games look significantly better on the newer hardware I won't mind. If it's just some minor upgrades that will be disappointing.

KINGMOKU

Well this is strange. Since the first XBOX I've always had a Microsoft box, and a Nintendo box in my home. This makes me feel like I should wait to buy one, or perhaps not at all depending on how long this will go on for.

If games are going to be held back so they can be cross generation completely,(as in no "only possible on...) why would I buy it? Who's idea was this?

This is terrible messaging.

Ar¢tos

Well this is strange. Since the first XBOX I've always had a Microsoft box, and a Nintendo box in my home. This makes me feel like I should wait to buy one, or perhaps not at all depending on how long this will go on for.

If games are going to be held back so they can be cross generation completely,(as in no "only possible on...) why would I buy it? Who's idea was this?

This is terrible messaging.
The idea was beta tested in the future, same as TV TV TV Sports box 7 years ago.
Companies have bad ideas all the time (vita proprietary cards/cables, example), it's a mystery how they get approved.

KINGMOKU

The idea was beta tested in the future, same as TV TV TV Sports box 7 years ago.
Companies have bad ideas all the time (vita proprietary cards/cables, example), it's a mystery how they get approved.
It almost seems like a case of "if it's not broken..."

Saying this, after the disastrous launch of the One seems just plain stupid as it sends a wierd messege to potential buyers. It's not like they have a massive 100million installed base of players(hell the switch passed it recently)to appease. This is also a huge chance as well. What if the launch is poor? How much does that damage the brand as a whole?

This seems like something they should have kept internal, not something announced to the public. It's turned me off completely.

MHubert

People will shit all over MS for this but it’s really a good business move. You don’t want to abonden your userbase so readily. MS do deserve more respect for allowing all backward compatibility for Xbox Series X. I see these moves as nothing less than consumer friendly

They will abondon them eventually - postponing it a year or two is hardly changing the formula of the 'gen-cycles'. As others have mentioned, this is likely a case of Microsoft not having next-gen developed software ready for their new console in 2020.

Better looking games? aka the whole point of upgrading hardware. I bought a ps4 at release for Assassin's Creed Black Flag & the remaster of Tomb Raider which was released early the following year. Both were of course previous gen titles & both were of course also available on Xbox & PC as well.

On a personal note I'm finding the intrusion of console fanboyism in discussions here somewhat grating over the past few weeks. I have a ps4 (as I've already stated) & an Xbox One X. I like both, have enjoyed both & I'll certainly expect all the third party titles + cross platform titles to perform extremely well on the Series X late this year & in 2021. So what's the problem? One of my favorite games from this gen, i.e. Alien Isolation, had a PS3 & Xbox 360 release as well. Whoop-de-do, because it still looked & ran a hell of a lot better on the ps4.

That's why "people" will buy the Xbox Series X. Because the same rule applies to all games.

Why would MS invest billions in engineering and marketing of a whole new console, untethered from baseline of XBO, if it is basically meant as an XBO-X+? If MS market their next console as a mere upgrade to the existing gen, they would see sales appropriate to it, ie. marginally smaller than the respective base model as seen with both OneX and PS4Pro. There is a point where you cannot just scale down textures and resolution in a game to make it run on the base hardware, and that point is called next-gen.
People buy next-gen consoles in millions because you can play the newest games there, and only there.

McHuj

Not sure how I feel about this. I would have to see how games look between the old and new hardware. If games look significantly better on the newer hardware I won't mind. If it's just some minor upgrades that will be disappointing.

it’s not just looks. Games can’t be designed to take full advantage of the upgraded CPUs and SSDs if they are held back by shitty CPUs and mechanical drives of yesteryear.

CyberPanda

Banned

Bkdk

what It means is just titles will be made exclusively for the xbox x series power and not exclusively released on Xbox x series right? I just wanna play them all on PC not only on Xbox x series.

also flight and AOE4 will be made witH options making use the supreme power of the PC anyway and likely to be released end of 2020 anyway.

Last edited:

Sussoloc

I don't see a problem here. Many 3rd partys will release for the old consoles as well for some time and they already said that big games like Halo will take advantage of the series X. Just google how many games were released for ps3 and 360 in 2014 and end of 2013.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

It almost seems like a case of "if it's not broken..."

Saying this, after the disastrous launch of the One seems just plain stupid as it sends a wierd messege to potential buyers. It's not like they have a massive 100million installed base of players(hell the switch passed it recently)to appease. This is also a huge chance as well. What if the launch is poor? How much does that damage the brand as a whole?

This seems like something they should have kept internal, not something announced to the public. It's turned me off completely.
I guess they know they can't beat Sony globally and are focusing on services. Selling a X1 or XseX game is the same for them.
XseX is probably being launched to keep as much from the US market (and maybe UK) away from Sony as possible.
If they do a good gamepass+xcloud deal anyone with even a X1S can enjoy "nextgen" games in US (EU internet speeds vary a lot per country). They know they can be profitable (like they already were this gen) but this time they can focus more on what will give them the most profit (hardware itself doesn't give profit to either Sony or MS).

Sussoloc

I guess they know they can't beat Sony globally and are focusing on services. Selling a X1 or XseX game is the same for them.
XseX is probably being launched to keep as much from the US market (and maybe UK) away from Sony as possible.
If they do a good gamepass+xcloud deal anyone with even a X1S can enjoy "nextgen" games in US (EU internet speeds vary a lot per country). They know they can be profitable (like they already were this gen) but this time they can focus more on what will give them the most profit (hardware itself doesn't give profit to either Sony or MS).

Microsofts long-term goal ist not to sell as many consoles as possible otherwise they wouldn't release all their exclusives and the game pass on Pc and with XCloud on tablets and smartphones.
The long-term goal is dominating the market with subscriptions and services. You don't make the money with hardware you make it with software. Sony will sell much more consoles next gen again without any doubt, but i think in like 10 years Microsoft will make more money with gaming than Sony.

JaffeLion

Banned
Sony will definitely have 1 or 2 PS5 exclusives at launch.
Always has been the case.

Undoubtly 1 or 2 more during the first year.
Not necessarily well-known AAA titles, but you don't have to wait a whole year.

those will likely also come to PC. So it doesn't really matter.

Windows-PC

Banned
I'm absolutely fine with this, and I think it's very consumer friendly and great for gamers who recently purchased an XBox One :)

From now on every first party game will be developed with XBox Series X as the lead platform in mind, and then the game will be downported to the XBox One. So there should be no issues, and everyone who still thinks that this will hold back the mighty power of the XBox Series X has no clue about video game development :D

Top Bottom