• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X gameplay demo has multiple crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members of the gaming media are starting to get their hands on the Xbox Series Xhardware, and it's giving gamers an opportunity to see how the system will work on release day. Alanah Pearce had the opportunity to take the console for a spin, and, in a new video, showed viewers some of the system's features, including Xbox Series X's backwards compatibility. Unfortunately, viewers can also see Pearce encounter multiple crashes, and some issues with backwards compatibility for Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Gears 5, and Forza Horizon 4. These issues can be seen in the video at the top of this post, around the four-minute mark.

It should be noted that this is a preview build of the console, and these issues will almost definitely be resolved by the time the Xbox Series X launches next month. There are multiple potential reasons for the issues, including the fact that these are first party games that might have day one patches. While it's surprising to see some of the bigger Xbox exclusives not working, this should not be a cause for concern for potential buyers. Still, it is interesting to see, and it might show what Microsoft is working on in the weeks leading up to the console's release.

Backwards compatibility is a big part of Microsoft's strategy for the Xbox Series X. For those that have never played an Xbox console, it will mean the ability to play hundreds of games that have been released on every previous Xbox system, and players can purchase those games digitally or physically. While the PS5 will be able to play nearly every PS4 game, the Xbox Series X will have nearly every Xbox One game available, as well as games for the original Xbox and the Xbox 360. That's a very big library, and gamers shouldn't have any difficulty finding titles to enjoy.

Microsoft has been consistently adding backwards compatibility for older Xbox games, and that will likely continue on the new hardware. A number of these games will also get free upgrades via Smart Delivery, so it's conceivable that older software might have a bigger appeal for players this generation than it did in previous years.

That’s not good and I’m not really surprised. Imo, I don’t think these consoles are ready. Assuming that most or some of these problems will be ironed out before launch. Then again, it’s only a month away from release, so it’s hard to say.

Last edited:
I see. Didn’t see it posted. My phone acting crazy. I can’t edit my thread title or spelling error. You guys can delete this thread or edit the spelling error.

Last edited:

oldergamer

They are using preview units with non final software. Why is some comic book site making an article about something shown in preview video like this? Why even make a thread about this?

Last edited:
Serious question; that does "preview version of Xbox Series X" even mean?

i mean, is it the actual console or what? I have never ever head about a preview console. It is either a prototype, testing kit, or the actual thing.

Don't tell me, Xbox is pulling another "Beta tested in the future" gag?

Consoles are hardware; I do NOT want any console to act like Windows Vista when I first bought it. It better work at launch or something crazy is happening. This is not some Early Access. We are 1 month away, the warehouses are being filled up with consoles. If Xbox think they can just day-one patch the machine, I wish them the best of luck.

Serious question; that does "preview version of Xbox Series X" even mean?

i mean, is it the actual console or what? I have never ever head about a preview console. It is either a prototype, testing kit, or the actual thing.

Don't tell me, Xbox is pulling another "Beta tested in the future" gag?

Consoles are hardware; I do NOT want any console to act like Windows Vista when I first bought it. It better work at launch or something crazy is happening. This is not some Early Access. We are 1 month away, the warehouses are being filled up with consoles. If Xbox think they can just day-one patch the machine, I wish them the best of luck.
If the aforementioned crashes are caused by an OS/software issue then it is absolutely day-one-patchable but forgive me from getting in the way of your pearl-clutching.

nyr88nyg

Banned
The preview boxes went out WEEKS before the real ones went to warehouses. There’s absolutely NO WAY they’re anything alike. They had WEEKS in between to fix all those problems.

If the aforementioned crashes are caused by an OS/software issue then it is absolutely day-one-patchable but forgive me from getting in the way of your pearl-clutching.
If.
Anything can be fixed. But if it is so easy then why isn't it fixed yet? Of course it is possible that for a patch to magically fix everything, but history suggest the tighter the timeline the less likely it is. And people already paid money.

I can sympathize with OP's title.

This is normal on pre-release software. Who knows what build that is. It's also the risk you take when you show it in an uncontrolled environment. Only a problem if it has the same issues Day One and we point back to this as not being fixed.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
How is it desperate? I never seen it before and thought it was news since we are all fishing for next generation need. My phone is acting crazy and my title got messed up.
It wasn't a crash. Several games Alanah tried to launch were blocked. The other one that quit had an update that needed to be installed. On top of that it's pre-release software on pre-release hardware.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
O8JEPsy.gif

Albion

Crashing is due to the heating issue we found out earlier in the week. Don't expect to be able to play the next Xbox for more than an hour before the hardware turns itself off

Banned
BREAKING NEWS
Video Games can crash! More at 11!

should I open a thread about how Apex Legends crashed my PS4 3 times last week? I think the people deserve to know!

Hawk269

Like almost every influencer that has the Series X were given a list of games that are currently working via BC. Allana was trying games that have not been updated to work on the Series X yet. From what other influencers have said, they have been sending updates to these consoles unlocking more and more BC games. Allana purposely tried playing BC games that were not 100% ready to be played and that is why they were crashing. This is the first influencer/youtuber that I am aware of that tried to play games and make/post a video of games that were not on the list of approved games.

PresetError

Neophyte
What a disaster. That's what you get for working with lazy shills. Her speech makes it worst because she doesn't stop saying how fast and impressive it is while showing fail after fail.

Unfinished software has crashes.

Tune in at 9PM for controllers have buttons.

Guess I was surprised that software was supposedly crashing and unfinished a month away from launch. I also had “not all games are BC yet” in the title as well, so it wasn’t just about the crashes.

Last edited:
If.
Anything can be fixed. But if it is so easy then why isn't it fixed yet? Of course it is possible that for a patch to magically fix everything, but history suggest the tighter the timeline the less likely it is. And people already paid money.
Ah yes, just like the heating issue, MS are pushing it out the door when it’s both a fire hazard and can’t actually play games due to rampant crashing /s

“Why haven’t they fixed it yet” is the dumbest non-argument ever, you could apply that to literally any negative about anything. Take your FUD and bury it in the backyard in a shallow grave where it belongs.

Guess I was surprised that software was supposedly crashing and unfinished a month away from launch. I also had not all games are BC yet in the title as well, so it wasn’t just about the crashes.
I already pointed out to you in the second comment of this thread that BC is being released in batches of a few hundred at a time for preview users, the lack of complete BC for preview users is intentional and not even remotely a concern.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Guess I was surprised that software was supposedly crashing and unfinished a month away from launch. I also had “not all games are BC yet” in the title as well, so it wasn’t just about the crashes.

Software is still in development on unreleased hardware. Hiccups are expected.

It wasn't a crash. Several games Alanah tried to launch were blocked. The other one that quit had an update that needed to be installed. On top of that it's pre-release software on pre-release hardware.

I see. Makes sense. I disc see Yakuza: LAD freeze on another video though, so I was wondering what was going on. Not a big deal though. Stuff like that happens, but I just wasn’t expecting that with a presumably simple PS4 port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom