• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Gameplay - Minecraft Ray Tracing & Gears 5

nikolino840

Microsoft’s first-party studio, The Coalition, will talk about Gears 5 on Xbox Series X later this week.

During an Inside Unreal livestream this Thursday at 2:00PM E.T., the Gears developer will be covering both Gears Tactics on PC, and Gears 5 on Microsoft’s upcoming next-gen console.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Wow the framerate in that Minecraft demo chugs at parts. I am guessing AMD's raytracing silicon is not on par with nVidia's.

Tiamat2san

Just watched the video.
Gears 5...
The improvements are great on an already graphical masterpiece.
Global illumination is beautiful.
More particles, better textures and shadows.
I’ll replay the campaign when the series X patch will be available.

I've always thought Gears 5 looks terrible visually but couldn't put my finger on it.

I think I know what it is looking at this XBSX footage.

Even with all the new bells and whistles the game seems to suffer immensely from the lack of accurate physically-based rendering. Or at least that's what it looks like.

All the surface materials on everything simply look all wrong. No visible roughness or iso/anisotropic specular reflectivity at all. Without proper BDRFs the GI simply makes everything look really really flat, with almost uniform diffuse colours that wash out all the fudged specular maps.

I could be wrong but that's what I can read from simply eyeballing footage of this game.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wow the framerate in that Minecraft demo chugs at parts. I am guessing AMD's raytracing silicon is not on par with nVidia's.

That build took like a week or so to make, remember. It’s also using full path tracing, and NOT just “fancy reflections”.

Show me a card, anywhere, that can run that shit smooth.

It’s more of a tech demo, a way to show you it’s possible. Don’t read too much into performance, it will likely never be used in that way fully anyway.

Same with Gears, it was a small one man project that only had a few weeks on it, and wasn’t set up for correct loading, hence why it loads like this. Older BC games won’t be loading in a second, they weren’t made that way.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
I've always thought Gears 5 looks terrible visually but couldn't put my finger on it.

Even with all the new bells and whistles the game seems to suffer immensely from the lack of accurate physically-based rendering. Or at least that's what it looks like.

All the surface materials on everything simply look all wrong. No visible roughness or iso/anisotropic specular reflectivity at all. Without proper BDRFs the GI simply makes everything look really really flat, with almost uniform diffuse colours that wash out all the fudged specular maps.

I could be wrong but that's what I can read from simply eyeballing footage of this game.
I don't know what game you're talking about. If it's Gears 5, I advise to play it.

ZywyPL

Banned
l the surface materials on everything simply look all wrong. No visible roughness or iso/anisotropic specular reflectivity at all. Without proper BDRFs the GI simply makes everything look really really flat, with almost uniform diffuse colours that wash out all the fudged specular maps.

This x1000. The PBR is clearly lacking in Gears, that's that one subtle change that makes all the difference in modern games. It's the same reason why Watch Dogs: Legion looks like shit despite RT being thrown all over the place, without proper PBR everything looks so fake, you can tell that artists manually tried to mimic how metal, wood, rock etc. looks like, but the results will never be as good as actual physical simulation.

GymWolf

Lol if you didn't told me that gears had rtx activated i would never guess... and minecraft still looks like crap.

Another proof that i don't give an absolute fuck about rtx:messenger_grinning_smiling:

GymWolf

Not proper rtx if memory serves right.
I mean, i already tried rtx on pc with control and metro (some of the best implementation out there) and still find that unimpressive for how heavy it is.

Dlss2.0 is the only thing that is gonna push me to use some rtx most probably, i will never scale down raw details, resolutions and framerate to get rtx, i'm just not a shadow\reflection\light enthusiast guy.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Played it on PC with all bells and whistkes on, but the world feels static in Gears, something i never really liked. textures are not really high res at all in this game. So seeing this gameplay from XSX with improvements, i can't see anything that looks really different (maybe because the PC version already looked ok).

Last edited:
I mean, i already tried rtx on pc with control and metro (some of the best implementation out there) and still find that unimpressive for how heavy it is.

Dlss2.0 is the only thing that is gonna push me to use some rtx most probably, i will never scale down raw details, resolutions and framerate to get rtx, i'm just not a shadow\reflection\light enthusiast guy.
Oh definitely, for what you get the performance hit isn’t worth it. Still you can see it. In Gears 5 it’s some bastardized implementation.

Rikkori

100% agreed, had the same thoughts playing it, and the dogshit looking TAA didn't help any either. Worst of all, the weak lighting also negatively affects the HDR which is otherwise properly implemented, but it just doesn't get to shine outside of very few scenes. And it's dead obvious when you compare the snow areas to eg snow areas in Metro Exodus also in HDR but with RTX GI. It's worlds apart.

Imo the staging made Gears 4 look better than 5, even though 5 on a technical level is more advanced. But it's like buying a newer camera, just because the tech is better doesn't mean it'll automatically take a good photo if you don't have skills as a photographer.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Countdown for Inside Unreal: The Coalition
t1594922400z1.png

Along With

Mike Rayner: Studio Technical Director, The Coalition - @MikeJRayner
Colin Penty - Studio Technical Art Director, The Coalition - @colinpenty
David Coleman - Technical Art Director, The Coalition
Nick Christiani - Lead Level Designer, The Coalition
Victor Brodin - Community Manager - @victor1erp

-Arcadia-

Banned
Countdown for Inside Unreal: The Coalition
t1594922400z1.png

Along With

Mike Rayner: Studio Technical Director, The Coalition - @MikeJRayner
Colin Penty - Studio Technical Art Director, The Coalition - @colinpenty
David Coleman - Technical Art Director, The Coalition
Nick Christiani - Lead Level Designer, The Coalition
Victor Brodin - Community Manager - @victor1erp

You guys probably know this, but just in case, having watched a Fortnite one of these Unreal showcases/developer outreaches. I wouldn’t expect much but high-level technical details, and some fascinating insights.

Top Bottom