• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X heat and noise levels tested

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Gears of War 5, Ultra settings, added contact shadows, 50% increased particle count over PC Ultra, and SSGI. All at 4k60FPS. For comparison:
9199_502_gears-benchmarked-1080p-1440p-4k-rtx-2080-ti-pushes-60fs.png
So similar to a 2080 TI

That was tested with a last gen game... Throw godfall in there and then we'll talk.

Gears 5 is one of the most intensive games ive ever played regarding thermals, both for cpu and gpu. When i play this sucker on pc i need to turn all the vents at max, no joke. It abnormaly heats the cpu like im running prime or something. They couldnt have used a better game for this. I would guess any next gen game will rarely push the system this hard

Great Hair

Banned
Unless the subtitles are broken, the hiese guy said "XSX gets loud (only) when watching a movie, playing a game via BD, louder than other UHD players" - whatever that means.

Unless the subtitles are broken, the hiese guy said "XSX gets loud (only) when watching a movie, playing a game via BD, louder than other UHD players" - whatever that means.
Maybe the disc drive is loud.
He said the Xbox Series X blu-ray drive is louder than other premium blu-ray standalone player.
The dive in the Series X is similar in noise to that in the One X.

The console even during gameplay is more quite than the drive running.
So the console is the loudest during disk playback.*

*Not every game tested and not in a closed space

LordOfChaos

Confused by the RTX 3000 and Ryzen comparison. These tests are thermal imaging of the outside of the box. What are those?

So the outer chassis doesn't get hot enough to be of any concern, that's...Expected. The internal APU temperature would be more interesting to know. Not concern trolling or anything, the whole "the exhaust is hot!" narrative was always stupid, exhaust is supposed to be to carry heat away from the APU.

Last edited:

Stuart360

A few clueless people handing out laughing smilies but they dont realize how hard it is to run a game at 120fps., over 60fps, and obviously 30fps. Dirt 5 will be pushing these consoles hard at 120fps. DrDisrespect runs Warzone at medium settings, 1080p, and no AA, to get 120-150fps, and he's running a 3900X, 128gb of Ram, and a 2080ti. You cant just look at a games graphics and think 120fps will be easy, hell the next gen consoles would probably struggle to run some 360/ps3 games at 120fps.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Confused by the RTX 3000 and Ryzen comparison. These tests are thermal imaging of the outside of the box. What are those?

So the outer chassis doesn't get hot enough to be of any concern, that's...Expected. The internal SoC temperature would be more interesting to know.
No way to know that without taking the console apart, but considering the exhaust is rather cool and the system rather quite then I don't expect it to be anything anyone needs to be concerned over.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I strongly believe that no company should be given a free pass. But the chances of Microsoft releasing a super hot console after RRoD has to be super low. It's just not worth them putting themselves in the same situation again and cementing a reputation for overheating consoles, because the first time was hard enough to come back from.

From the sound of things, this could turn out to be a nice quiet generation for all involved, which will be a nice change.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Gotta think it’s just a perception thing. Most things vent out the back where you would most likely not notice it while Xbox vents at top where you migh pass over it easier. Doesn’t matter if it’s the same temp, you will just take notice of it more.

But random sites claiming it was running hot even after the source they were using debunked it - totally reliable, right.
Options and subjective feelings vs technical measurements.
That's why I only post links to videos and articles, that did measure and have numbers.

Not some "hot, warm, cool, quite, load" or whatever

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It’s as if people want there to be another RRoD scenario for xbox

While RRoD sucked and probably contributed to the xbone disaster , they owned up to it and replaced/repaired consoles free of charge for quite a while.

Last edited:
Are these temps from the APU or outside surface? If latter, they are completely useless.

Like measuring car engine temp from the hood, it won't tell if the engine is hot as hell or not.

If they are from the silicon, then they are good.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Have they tested heat differences between vertical and horizontal? can’t watch any videos right now

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What does the 360 overheating in its infancy have to do with the xbone?

I don't know man, but having to run through the Microsoft service repair process 3 to 5 times because their console self destructed didn't give people much confidence on the brand. That's standard stuff with electronics.

Granted, Microsoft handled it well and made sure whoever bought these machines was serviced free of charge for quite a while, but that's the kind of thing that sours people opinion of a brand.

So the top can't double as a grill? What a bummer. Kidding of course.

It's good to know the Series X is functioning as intended and is handling heat the way some have already guessed. I hope people can put their concern to rest and stop suggesting we might get a next-gen version of the RRoD.

The Xbox Series X is cool to the touch under load. When stressed, the top front portion can become warm. If you're running a game from the expansion card, that too can also become toasty. It's nothing out of the ordinary, though. Anyone with a gaming PC or a laptop will be familiar with the sort of heat the Xbox Series X generates. The console takes in cool air from the bottom of the console, expels it throughout the system, and out through the top.

The more taxing the game, the more heat is dissipated out of the top, naturally. That's where you want the heat to be, though, outside of the system.

Papacheeks

Banned
So the top can't double as a grill? What a bummer. Kidding of course.

It's good to know the Series X is functioning as intended and is handling heat the way some have already guessed. I hope people can put their concern to rest and stop suggesting we might get a next-gen version of the RRoD.

My main gripe is no one that has these has tested games with High end ray tracing. Thats where the real test will be for pushing full load.

JimboJones

My main gripe is no one that has these has tested games with High end ray tracing. Thats where the real test will be for pushing full load.
Maybe. A game can be under "full load" and not use ray tracing but have other effects, resolution, framerate pushed higher so it is still under load.
When games use raytracing there gonna be cutting back on resolution and framerate and possibly other expensive effects.

An interesting test would be to get a few first year PS4 games or PS3 to PS4 ports test the power draw on PS4 then try a late gen game like the last of us 2 , god of war 4 and compare the power draw for those on PS4. I would imagine there wouldn't be a huge difference but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom