• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X heat and noise levels tested

Papacheeks

Banned
A game can still push 100 percent load and not have RT. RT doesn't make the chip perform over its total TDP.

Correct, but with AMD's implementation they use dedicated cu's for RT. So in my opinion I think you might see differences in varying heat signatures depending on the game load. Which is a thing, with older Radeon cards. I have a RX 480 and Radeon VII and I can tell you depending on the engine heat signatures are different.

A more optimized engine may yield better temperatures at full load. Engines have different things going on in terms of post processing, lighting that are handled different per engine.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Correct, but with AMD's implementation they use dedicated cu's for RT. So in my opinion I think you might see differences in varying heat signatures depending on the game load. Which is a thing, with older Radeon cards. I have a RX 480 and Radeon VII and I can tell you depending on the engine heat signatures are different.

A more optimized engine may yield better temperatures at full load. Engines have different things going on in terms of post processing, lighting that are handled different per engine.

Fair enough. I would bet that the differences, if there are any, would not be vastly different either way.

gspat

Now we just need a few people to hook up a thermocouple to the heatsinks of these consoles and see what the temps are like comparing last gen/crossgen/nextgen games played at full tilt... Both at release and a full year from now.

BigLee74

They measured the exhaust as well. It's a good indicator if not perfect.

Obviously what you need is some guy on YouTube pulling out an SSD card and going 'oooh, that's hot!'

That would appear to be the scientific level required for some people to jump to 'heat issue' conclusions. 😂

Nothing conclusive yet, but seems like MS have done a decent job keeping this thing cool. But simply as expected given their past 2 consoles!

Last edited:

Njocky

Banned
I'm wondering if running it on its side significantly affects the temperatures. My guess is no since MS says it's ok but they always show it as a tower.
As much as I want to, I don’t think I’m putting it horizontally. I want as much free air space above the exhaust As possible. I guess it will have to go on top of my subwoofer. Might look awkward but I’m not risking to burn down my house lol.
I guess the damage is done in terms of temperature perception. Consumers are easily scared and whatever clickhunting youtuber started that rumour has done his damage.

Last edited:
As much as I want to, I don’t think I’m putting it horizontally. I want as much free air space above the exhaust As possible. I guess it will have to go on top of my subwoofer. Might look awkward but I’m not risking to burn down my house lol.

Just an FYI to put your mind at ease, when I was a painter at a powder coating shop we put painted products in a 200C oven with masking paper still attached, often for hours to cure. The paper didn't start on fire, ever. You need an ignition source to start a fire after something reaches it's flashpoint and even then any ventilation (like being in an open room) will prevent the fumes from igniting. I'm a liquid painter now, and a lot of our paint has a flashpoint lower than room temperature, meaning a spark in the paint booth even on a cool day can potentially blow up the entire booth, but in my entire career I've never even seen a fire at work. We actually use handheld heat guns, propane heat cannons (flamethrowers), and raise the ambient air temperature to 45C after painting to speed up drying times and it's still not enough to start the paint on fire despite the flashpoint being so low.

55C won't start anything on fire. Plastic has to reach very high temps to vent gasses. Your house has enough air space that even if the Xbox hit the plastic's melting point the fumes would never reach a high enough ppm in the room to be ignited by even a sustained flame. The chance of the Xbox exhaust starting anything on fire is absolutely 0%. In a worst-case scenario where you are a complete pig and live like one the chance of even an overheating console packed with dust covered with dirty laundry starting a fire is still astronomically low. Mount it however you want, it'll be fine. Just leave enough space for the intake and vents so the system doesn't have to throttle itself which would cause performance drops.

They're not really testing super demanding games yet. I'm curious if there's temp shifts on "Next-gen" games.

How about this? 120 fps is a lot to handle even at 1440p.

Ao0JWm8.jpg

lachesis

How about this? 120 fps is a lot to handle even at 1440p.

Ao0JWm8.jpg

I am actually relieved that the ODD side is staying pretty cool - especially the PSU part, even with that cramped layout. I am very much impressed.
It's either they don't emit much heat at all, or has enough air flows that allows it to be run quite cool.

chonga

those thermal cameras and personal biasedness towards certain brands. damn robots
Not that I believe these people are trying to manipulate or spread fake data, but 'thermal imagine cameras don't lie' is not a valid argument either.

The conditions in which they are used can vary so thus can present a manipulated picture.

How hot is the room? How ventilated is the room? How long has it been on? Was it really captured under load? Where various scenarios tested and the best data cherry picked?

All these and more will yield an accurate reading from the device, but would be misleading.

Not that I believe these people are trying to manipulate or spread fake data, but 'thermal imagine cameras don't lie' is not a valid argument either.

The conditions in which they are used can vary so thus can present a manipulated picture.

How hot is the room? How ventilated is the room? How long has it been on? Was it really captured under load? Where various scenarios tested and the best data cherry picked?

All these and more will yield an accurate reading from the device, but would be misleading.
Sure, but if all the consoles are checked out in the same environment these variables are no longer variable.

I'm thinking about skipping next gen console threads and stuff on social media until after launch for both. I'm buying both consoles launch day

But social media and the pearl clutching every other day about another dumbass issue is getting pretty corny at this point lol.

//DEVIL//

I am not following here . Austin says it’s not loud. But when he actually shuts up so we can hear it, it’s very loud . Like what kind of chill is this ? You can friggin hear it’s loud . Then he goes to damage control saying not loud as his pc that has 20 fans . Wtf !

am I missing something here ?

Last edited:

Banned
I am not following here . Austin says it’s not loud. But when he actually shuts up so we can hear it, it’s very loud . Like what kind of chill is this ? You can friggin hear it’s loud . Then he goes to damage control saying not loud as his pc that has 20 fans . Wtf !

am I missing something here ?

the sound you hear is his microphone pointed directly at the console and the sound is most likely amplified

but I would love a direct comparison in decibel compared to base Xbox One, One S, One X and the PS4pro 72XX model

Tickrate

Oh no! That cannot be! SonyGaf told me this thing was going to melt the ice caps and that it's form factor could not possibly run quiet and within acceptable temps. /s

Seriously though, good to have confirmation it's performing well.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
How is this test indicative of anything? It is not running next gen games. Those will use the full chip.

Regardless, I don’t doubt the console is quiet, and the narrative of the XSX running hot was clearly some fanboy’s delusion.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Watch the narrative now change to the temp of the APU lol

How is this test indicative of anything? It is not running next gen games. Those will use the full chip.

Regardless, I don’t doubt the console is quiet, and the narrative of the XSX running hot was clearly some fanboy’s delusion.

All games that run on the Series X have access to the "full chip". Unlike the PS5, they don't run BC games at the previous console power levels, they have access to the full 12TF of power. Gears 5, which was tested here in one of the vids, is even Series X enhanced with a mountain of upgrades. Be concerned somewhere else.

Have they tested heat differences between vertical and horizontal? can’t watch any videos right now
Yes, it's in the videos. Virtually no difference, as expected.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
All games that run on the Series X have access to the "full chip". Unlike the PS5, they don't run BC games at the previous console power levels, they have access to the full 12TF of power. Gears 5, which was tested here in one of the vids, is even Series X enhanced with a mountain of upgrades. Be concerned somewhere else.

This is not correct. The ray tracing cores are not being used for example.

MrFunSocks

Banned
This is not correct. The ray tracing cores are not being used for example.
It doesn't have dedicated RT hardware that just sits there idle if you're not doing raytracing. It uses the CUs to do raytracing, the same CUs that are used for everything else.

I guess the damage is done in terms of temperature perception. Consumers are easily scared and whatever clickhunting youtuber started that rumour has done his damage.
Don't put it on top of a giant magnet. Just not a good idea in general.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

the sound you hear is his microphone pointed directly at the console and the sound is most likely amplified

but I would love a direct comparison in decibel compared to base Xbox One, One S, One X and the PS4pro 72XX model

even if that is true, these are just enhanced backward compatible games. this is like running a PS3 game on PS4 boost mode. these are hardly taxing the hardware.

put a real next-gen game, or a call of duty next-gen... then let's see how it actually performs.

Top Bottom