• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X heat and noise levels tested

This is kind of ridiculous. All that effort just so you can guess what the actual hardware temps might be like. Console makers should just let people access these stats like you can on PC.

MrFunSocks

Banned
even if that is true, these are just enhanced backward compatible games. this is like running a PS3 game on PS4 boost mode. these are hardly taxing the hardware.

put a real next-gen game, or a call of duty next-gen... then let's see how it actually performs.
It's not at all like running a PS3 game on PS4 boost mode.

Gears 5 has a Series X patch that changes a boatload of things. It's pretty much the PC Ultra version with even more bells and whistles. It's using the full 12TF of power.

Dirt 5 at 120fps would be using the absolute full 12TF too.

//DEVIL//

It's not at all like running a PS3 game on PS4 boost mode.

Gears 5 has a Series X patch that changes a boatload of things. It's pretty much the PC Ultra version with even more bells and whistles. It's using the full 12TF of power.

Dirt 5 at 120fps would be using the absolute full 12TF too.

I am sorry I don’t see it this way .Even if it’s pc on ultra it’s still a game based on old engine . If you want to tell me that’s the best the Xbox series x can do then you are wrong 100%.

these games like this or spider man on ps5 or assassin creed black flag or the last of us remaster on ps4 are just enhanced ports of last gen game. And while they are impressive to us, they got nothing on what a real next gen game will look like .
Sadly we won’t see an Xbox series x real next gen game till probably 2022 if MS decided to stick with the Xbox one as a base console for 2021 .

I am not taking sides on any console here I am buying them both day one.

Weirdly, the PS5 won't be that much different, even with their liquid metal. I really think MS did the smarter design choice compared to Sony. It's a simple, boxy design that's not trying to look fancy. Function over beauty. It seems Sony was forced to create a fancier cooling system because of the aesthetics.
Have to disagree here. I'm betting the PS5 will run just as cool if not more so. Large console with dual intake airflow (plus that huge heatsink) means solid cooling. Also, Sony's engineers have already stated that the final specs, use of liquid metal, and fan, was decided over two years ago. The look of the PS5 is following the function.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Have to disagree here. I'm betting the PS5 will run just as cool if not more so. Large console with dual intake airflow (plus that huge heatsink) means solid cooling. Also, Sony's engineers have already stated that the final specs, use of liquid metal, and fan, was decided over two years ago. The look of the PS5 is following the function.
I think they chose liquid metal as well as other things in their design, specially because it was utmost necessary to keep good temperatures. That being said, I do believe the temps will be just fine, but I also believe they're gonna be higher than what these SX tests are showing.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think they chose liquid metal as well as other things in their design, specially because it was utmost necessary to keep good temperatures. That being said, I do believe the temps will be just fine, but I also believe they're gonna be higher than what these SX tests are showing.
There is no doubt the
PS5 was built for another cooling standard. That thing will be running near full tdp during gaming sessions. They needed beefy cooling and did a outstanding job. Microsoft did a outstanding job with it's cooling. Everybody should be ecstatic each company did a great job this time.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I am sorry I don’t see it this way .Even if it’s pc on ultra it’s still a game based on old engine . If you want to tell me that’s the best the Xbox series x can do then you are wrong 100%.

these games like this or spider man on ps5 or assassin creed black flag or the last of us remaster on ps4 are just enhanced ports of last gen game. And while they are impressive to us, they got nothing on what a real next gen game will look like .
Sadly we won’t see an Xbox series x real next gen game till probably 2022 if MS decided to stick with the Xbox one as a base console for 2021 .

I am not taking sides on any console here I am buying them both day one.
It doesn’t have to be the best a console can do to use 100% of the resources and push it to create as much heat as it can generate. Give me literally *any* computer in the world and I can write a 10 line program that will have it using 100% of all resources within seconds.

you say based on an old engine but it’s unrea engine 4. I guarantee you there will still be unreal engine 4 games being made next gen exclusive at the end of this upcoming gen.

Also Ms aren’t the only ones that will make next gen exclusive games. There are next gen exclusive games launching this year on the S/X, so we don’t need to wait til 2022.

Now that's interesting. Apparently it runs way colder than most (reasonable) people would imagine. It seems the FUD recently created went downhill for good after these tests.
This won’t end any FUD, believe me. The people spreading FUD literally do not care about facts, their aim is to just spread outright lies and concern to try and damage the Xbox at all costs. They didn't care about the truth to begin with, so the truth again being pointed out is irrelevant.

There is no doubt the
PS5 was built for another cooling standard. That thing will be running near full tdp during gaming sessions. They needed beefy cooling and did a outstanding job. Microsoft did a outstanding job with it's cooling. Everybody should be ecstatic each company did a great job this time.
Maybe wait until people have their hands on the PS5 like they do with the Series X to say they did an outstanding job. Not saying it will have problems, but literally no people have had hands on with an actual PS5 yet, less than a month from release.

Last edited:

Calverz

This is really good news but we need to reserve judgment until we can make comparisons with ps5 on say cod black ops cold war.

PSX

From an italian site
xml60RO.jpg

4cNpnqU.jpg

Ao0JWm8.jpg

Who play a game 11-15mins? They should have don't at least 2+ hours in intense games, plus they haven't run a actual next gen games.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
There were 4 photos shared on Twitter here, so I grabbed them and have some side-by-side comparisons (compared to the Xbox One X on top, and Xbox Series X on bottom). It makes it easier to look at Gears 5 in a side-by-side comparison between the two flagship Xbox consoles. Check them out below.
LOL.

Zathalus

Oh yes, because low resolution screenshots are the best way to compare. Just refer to Digital Foundry for the 6 month old build they were able to take a look at, cutscenes are 60fps vs 30fps on the Xbox One X, increased texture resolution, massively increased draw distances, better volumetrics, and much better lighting.

The build has even improved from that demo, taking advantage of the Velocity Architecture:

PSX

Those are not intensive games wait until Unreal Engine 5 comes out next year it will be interesting, When games looks like a CGI and they can't run on current consoles then we can talk about heat.

PSX

Thats got nothing to do with the point. You said the game is not intensive, I posted evidence that it is. The Xbox is not having heat issues running a very intensive game. There is nothing more that needs to be said.

You replayed with PC benchmark to compare XBOX SX to PC GPUs which is not accurate and then tell me is nothing to do with point? lol ok. nevermind.

Zathalus

You replayed with PC benchmark to compare XBOX SX to PC GPUs which is not accurate and then tell me is nothing to do with point? lol ok. nevermind.
I think you are having difficulties following the conversation. You stated that the Xbox was not tested with a next-gen game, I replied stating that the settings Gears 5 was running at on the XSX qualifies it as a next-gen game. You then changed tracks and claimed the game was not intensive, I then replied with evidence that it is very intensive to run at 4k Ultra, now you have changed again claiming that my evidence is not accurate because PC GPUs, which makes zero sense.

Gears 5 Ultra 4k is very GPU intensive, this has already been proven, thus the XSX GPU is being pushed heavily. We have temperature readings of the game running those settings and it is nothing to stress over.

But please, continue to tell me how wrong I am without any semblance of evidence backing up your point.

Last edited:

PSX

Zathalus Zathalus

Not saying you're wrong, "Next gen means something that physically cannot run on the 8 year old hardware of PS4 and Xbox One". it requires massive memory, and fast storage for its game mechanics and world to run. Simply turning up the resolution, frame rate, lighting reflections and shadows does NOT mean next gen. Designing worlds and mechanics that cannot be played on old hardware means these next gen games are pushing next gen hardware. and I am talking about PS5 and the Xbox SX.

The only true next gen was the PS5/XSX unreal engine tech demo, scorn, pragmata, so far as they got some glimpse of gameplay.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Zathalus Zathalus

Not saying you're wrong, "Next gen means something that physically cannot run on the 8 year old hardware of PS4 and Xbox One". it requires massive memory, and fast storage for its game mechanics and world to run. Simply turning up the resolution, frame rate, lighting reflections and shadows does NOT mean next gen. Designing worlds and mechanics that cannot be played on old hardware means these next gen games are pushing next gen hardware. and I am talking about PS5 and the Xbox SX.

The only true next gen was the PS5/XSX unreal engine tech demo, scorn, pragmata, so far as they got some glimpse of gameplay.
That would likely just put more strain on the SSD, so even in that case heat will not rise by much. The XSX is currently producing 50c exhaust, the X1X and PS4 Pro both have exhaust at 65c and neither of those consoles had a problem. So even if the heat was to increase by a massive 15c, which in of itself is unlikely, it will still only be hot as current gen consoles.

Reactions: PSX

PSX

That would likely just put more strain on the SSD, so even in that case heat will not rise by much. The XSX is currently producing 50c exhaust, the X1X and PS4 Pro both have exhaust at 65c and neither of those consoles had a problem. So even if the heat was to increase by a massive 15c, which in of itself is unlikely, it will still only be hot as current gen consoles.
I am getting both but it canceled be
If you think 54c is "crazy hot" in the context of computer systems then you don't know what you're talking about.

yes hot if you play only 11-15mins we need actual professionals to do the test for both consoles.

Muselbert

I think you are having difficulties following the conversation. You stated that the Xbox was not tested with a next-gen game, I replied stating that the settings Gears 5 was running at on the XSX qualifies it as a next-gen game. You then changed tracks and claimed the game was not intensive, I then replied with evidence that it is very intensive to run at 4k Ultra, now you have changed again claiming that my evidence is not accurate because PC GPUs, which makes zero sense.

Gears 5 Ultra 4k is very GPU intensive, this has already been proven, thus the XSX GPU is being pushed heavily. We have temperature readings of the game running those settings and it is nothing to stress over.

But please, continue to tell me how wrong I am without any semblance of evidence backing up your point.
GPU intensive, yes. But is it CPU intensive as well? If you combine those in an APU that does matter of course. I strongly doubt that there are any heat issues with Series X but just looking at the gpu misses half of the picture...

Last edited:
Reactions: PSX

Great Hair

Banned
How can XSX measure 50ºC and PS4 PRO 65ºC but the one who is overthing is XSX? That defy logic...

different ambient temperature?

PS5 conducted in a studio with up to 5? studio lights, heating up the room to 30º Celsius or 88º? Fahrenheit while playing Godfall@4K60 and XSX done by annoying weird face ostin evian in a much colder room? while playing some BC titles.

Lets wait for proper testing done by someone impartial.

tokyoroll

Banned
So wait, after all that bullshit claims of this thing burning people's houses down and turning their gentials into bbq, the damn thing is even cooler than the One X? Man, fuck all these console war sons of a bitches.

Pallas

So can we finally kill this narrative that the Series X is going to be the second coming of RRoD?

I don’t think either console will have heating issues by the way. Each has their own unique way of controlling their temperatures.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Here's a quick summary of a Jeuxvideo.com article
available here
The console is quiet and sits at 38.4 dB which is more the sound of our room that the console itself.
So really quiet.
As for the temp they played more than 15 mins which sould give us a better idea.
On the thop of the console temperatures can raise above 58°C (for Gears 5)and around 54°C (for Doom Eternal).
On the dashboard the console sits roughly at around 30 to 35°C .
It is also interesting to note the right side of the front plate get pretty hot too with temperature above 50°C(for Gears 5 too), the sides and the back sits at about 45°C.

If some wants more info feel free to google translate the article.

Concern

Who play a game 11-15mins? They should have don't at least 2+ hours in intense games, plus they haven't run a actual next gen games.

With all the concern, your reading comprehension is really lacking. 11 - 15 minutes COOLDOWN TIME.

Lol embarrassing

PSX

Here's a quick summary of a Jeuxvideo.com article
available here
The console is quiet and sits at 38.4 dB which is more the sound of our room that the console itself.
So really quiet.
As for the temp they played more than 15 mins which sould give us a better idea.
On the thop of the console temperatures can raise above 58°C (for Gears 5)and around 54°C (for Doom Eternal).
On the dashboard the console sits roughly at around 30 to 35°C .
It is also interesting to note the right side of the front plate get pretty hot too with temperature above 50°C(for Gears 5 too), the sides and the back sits at about 45°C.

If some wants more info feel free to google translate the article.

On Series X, the SSD makes no noise. lol they think M.2 SSDs make noises lord jesus :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom