• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X: Microsoft Appears To Be Facing Limited Supply [Tech4gamers]

This must be a US issue because in Europe the Series X is available and has always been pretty much. The PS5 on the other hand is still difficult to track down, but it's gottaen much better lately.
Well it depends in what countries (PS5 easily is currently available in UK, DE for instance). But XSX has always being in rather high demand, even in continental Europe. People just don't want XSS weakling: No RT in somes games, no 60fps modes in others, reduced features, etc.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have also noticed series s availability issues.It's quite funny that PlayStation supply is back to normal while Xbox is still facing supply issues.
You can get series s directly from Microsoft's eBay store for 239.99 every day.

onQ123

CNBC is literally taking the interview out of context.

Phils actual statement in context was not direclty about Xbox Series X as seen in the original video,

https://video-api.wsj.com/api-video/player/iframe.html?guid=195A5DB5-FF0F-48A8-90CD-9662D56A108C

He does not specify how much Xbox loses on any console.

And it's telling you skipped the other flawed part of your post, believing MS is purposefully holding back production when only more production would help them be able to reduce the costs. That amount was lost on on previous lost leading consoles and they reduced those losses by more production lowering the cost of components.

It's very unlikely that MS is holding back units waiting for a drop in price with no production. Doesn't make much sense. I also doubt MS is thinking of rapidly releasing a slim this year in tie for the big titles either.

For the Series X? Lol?

The video said exactly what I posted he said when you buy a console they taking a $100 - $200 hit

If this wasn't happening with the new consoles he wouldn't have spoke of the $100 - $200 hit he would have said "In the past we would subsidize $100 - $200"

With all the drama about the PS5 DE being hard to find because Sony wasnt focusing on it as far as stock, barely a peep was said about the Series X when it was clear MS was focusing more on the Series S.

Seems those that thought the Series S was gonna move mountains of consoles, MS also thought that too.

Now that the other platforms are getting a handle on stock....now its a problem for MS? And AFAIK its not gonna be as easy for MS to switch between the 2 like Sony can.

I mean...this is a problem MS created themselves.
The S is easier to make for the same reason the 3050 is easier to make than the 3090ti. It uses smaller more cutdown components to the point where common defects don't invalidate a production chip. It also has less of most things including ram and because it has smaller parts it produces less heat so it requires less complex cooling. The S was engineered to be as affordable and easy to produce as reasonable.

More like they want people to buy series s and that's why it's always available.They are using all the soc to build series s.They need to realize that not everyone will be interested in series s.

It was debunked early in the generation that the S wasn't interfering with X manufacturing.

Not to mention they warned before the holiday season there wouldn't be enough supply. Yet they were able to produce 4x the S than usual and actually over shipped which is why the $250 holiday sku's with the festive box designs were still being sold until early this month, and there may be more out there, on top of REGULAR Series S stock, and in Jan they also had sales for those they can't be making money on it, that's clearly them keeping the price low to cover as much of the production lag of the X the Series S can allow.

You'd have to be crazy to believe they WANT to push the S ONLY and are purposefully not pushing the X. That contradicts all their moves and their interviews. S is capped, there's no way these continuous discounts are helping their margins on S.

They are just increasing margins by
a) supplying it themselves. You can order from Xbox directly and supply is not limited.
b) shipping a bundle with an over a year old game to retailers at +$60.

Supply is there but the profit is not to ship everywhere. Once they lose less per console they will start pumping them out to retailers.

Xbox store has had sold out appear a few times, they do get them restocked in decent time but not that many people buy direct. I doubt it's a very high number.

This must be a US issue because in Europe the Series X is available and has always been pretty much.

Depends on where in Europe. UK and France had problems over the holidays in many areas especially offline as users posted in threads then.

This article doesn't work with the current narrative....

Hopefully xbox does a redesign of the mobo and chip asap to get more built. They're gonna need them in time for starfield.

There going to need them for Redfall.

Heck, they need them now.

Sony had to make a 6nm APU to fix the supply issues & redesign the entire motherboard.

Meanwhile Microsoft didn't do shit & only produced Series S consoles.

But nobody wants THE S, so that's a problem.

People are buying the S a lot, the problem is users here think the S alone not outselling the PS5 means the S isn't selling which doesn't make sense and that logic is pretty common.

S has specific demographics that will buy it, some will only by the X, it's those that MS is losing every month, some may have even got a PS5 out of impatience.

Xbox Series was meant to sell as a family where as PS5D was always pushed as a lesser option in the marketing, or lack thereof, and PS5 was always supposed to be the bulk.

This is the thing that almost literally NOBODY wants to talk about. It's secretly the real issue though.

If there's no demand for the X people wouldn't be buying them, and there would be more stock without needing to produce shipments

People aren't talking about X lack of demand because it's not real. Even in Japan it's not real, the limited amount of interest in japan there even had the X become a focus when the stock was there those few times there was, but there's been nearly no X stock there the whole gen just looking at the weekly charts.

JaksGhost

I'm in San Antonio and within a 10 mile radius I can walk into a Walmart and purchase a Series X (Forza Bundle), Series S (Bundled and Un-bundled), and a PS5 (God of War Bundle).

Last edited:
The video said exactly what I posted he said when you buy a console they taking a $100 - $200 hit

If this wasn't happening with the new consoles he wouldn't have spoke of the $100 - $200 hit he would have said "In the past we would subsidize $100 - $200"

The context of the video was following an example of the industry at large.

Even in your post here you still don't say he specifes how much he loses on either console either way, which was my original point he never assigned numbers.

Jesus on a bike SMH

How is he speaking of consoles in general when he clearly said "When you buy a Xbox"

Probably the part before you are leaving out which adds context but that's irrelevant.

But again you're avoiding the point, which is he never assigned number to either console, he never said one X box lost X and the other lost y. You are not addressing that he never did that.

onQ123

Probably the part before you are leaving out which adds context but that's irrelevant.

But again you're avoiding the point, which is he never assigned number to either console, he never said one X box lost X and the other lost y. You are not addressing that he never did that.

Something is really wrong with you

Do you think he is talking about the OG Xbox? lol he is talking about the Xbox that is in stores now & he said $100 - $200

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Something is up Starfield releasing in June, repurposing Hardware for new bundle?

Surprised Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Do you think he is talking about the OG Xbox? lol he is talking about the Xbox that is in stores now & he said $100 - $200

And why would he be talking about console's profit margins that came out over 20 years ago? Not sure what's happening with Eddie.

And why would he be talking about console's profit margins that came out over 20 years ago? Not sure what's happening with Eddie.

So you're a trend jumper because you're taking his made up quote I never made, and jumping on it like I actually said it. Now you have egg on face.

The part that's telling is you continue to dodge the crow you ate since the video doesn't have him tell us which xboxs are losing how much. You are doing everything but addressing that point by constantly trying to pretend you didn't take part of the video out of context.

When are you going to address you were wrong and Phil didn't say how much each Xbox was losing individually?

Astray

Gold Member
Xboxes here are plentiful in supply where I am, S significantly more so but X is still very easy to find here.

PS5 only just got easy to get, last few years you either had to make friends with an employee at a retailer or you had to pay a scalper.

From what I understand Xcloud is at capacity, and are even queuing people at some times.
I am assuming that MS is still producing alot of their XSX wafers to supply the demand for Xcloud because this is going to be a continuing growth market for them.
Sony obviously isn't investing in cloud gaming and so don't have to divert any of their APUs for that purpose. Added to that the fact that the PS5 is smaller than the XSX one so they are able to make more of them.

Mr Moose

One X? They stopped making them.
Edit: never mind lol

Last edited:

onQ123

So you're a trend jumper because you're taking his made up quote I never made, and jumping on it like I actually said it. Now you have egg on face.

The part that's telling is you continue to dodge the crow you ate since the video doesn't have him tell us which xboxs are losing how much. You are doing everything but addressing that point by constantly trying to pretend you didn't take part of the video out of context.

When are you going to address you were wrong and Phil didn't say how much each Xbox was losing individually?
Dude you're going out sad 😭

Gobjuduck

Banned
Series x went from being somewhat available mid last year in stores to being hard to find by the end. Finally an article talking about this. Seems like Sony fixed their supply issues and Xbox’s worsened.

onQ123

Glad you agree that he never gave specific number how much he was losing on the X or the S in that interview. Thank you.
Let me make it simple for you:

Is Series X & Series S Xbox consoles? Yes.

How much did he say was subsidized when you buy a Xbox Console? $100 - $200

Did he say $1 - $200? No

So the answer is $100 - $200 when you buy a Xbox

I repeat is Series S/X Xbox consoles?

Did he say in the past we would subsidized $100 - $200? No

He is clearly talking about the Consoles being sold now & even if he was talking about all Xbox consoles from the beginning of time Xbox Series X & Series S is included as Xbox consoles that they subsidize $100 - $200 for.

Last edited:

You're pretending you don't understand and that's fine an all but you're going in circles.

The wrong claim that was made is that he put a specific number on how much he was losing on the Series X, and he didn't, nor did he do that for the S. You're trying to act like the original statement was arguing aa range, it wasn't.

What you're forgetting is you entered a conversation that was already ongoing. My whole point from that point before and after you entered was addressing someone who said Series X was losing a specific amount of money for Xbox.

You seem to be looking at the posts in isolation, which is why you keep thinking I'm saying something I'm not. Like thinking he was talking about the OG Xbox (which I never said?)

As I said, we are in agreement that no specific numbers were given to how much was lost on Series X or S.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I work in a big box electronic store and since December we've gotten 2 shipments of Xbox Series X.

PS5 has had about 6 skids since then.

Both sell out quick, but Microsoft is definitely having supply issues in my part of Canada.
Whats your series s shipment like? What about demand?

sainraja

I was at a Walmart. I saw two Series X there, the Forza ones. They might just be shipping the Forza bundle over the standard one.

I was at a Walmart. I saw two Series X there, the Forza ones. They might just be shipping the Forza bundle over the standard one.

The stock hasn't changed, they just replaced some standard stock with Forza bundle, people are still having problems finding the X.

sainraja

The stock hasn't changed, they just replaced some standard stock with Forza bundle, people are still having problems finding the X.
I mean, I found two just now at Walmart (wasn't even trying) and found a bunch at Best Buy a few months back. If someone really wants one right now, they can just get the Forza one. It's not like the game is bad.

Last edited:
there is a lot of conspiracy theories around this topic.

but who knows. Sony made a party with their live from Play station marketing. I was like: "damn , it seems those supply constraints were bigger than I thought"

For Microsoft's sake, they better have the Xbox Series X on those shelves once Starfield is released because I have a feeling the picture won't be pretty for the SS, And I'm not just talking about resolution.

I mean, I found two just now at Walmart (wasn't even trying) and found a bunch at Best Buy a few months back. If someone really wants one right now, they can just get the Forza one. It's not like the game is bad.

There are posters that haven't seen any Series X you skipped over for some reason.

there is a lot of conspiracy theories around this topic.

but who knows. Sony made a party with their live from Play station marketing. I was like: "damn , it seems those supply constraints were bigger than I thought"

For Microsoft's sake, they better have the Xbox Series X on those shelves once Starfield is released because I have a feeling the picture won't be pretty for the SS, And I'm not just talking about resolution.
Definitely agreed, they gotta get that shit in order if they expect Starfield to move consoles, if it's well received critically it could boost numbers.. and if the supply isn't there.. it's going to lead to problems.

sainraja

There are posters that haven't seen any Series X you skipped over for some reason.
I mean, I don't get your point? There are also posters who have seen a lot—at least more than the two I saw. I was just saying that if someone really wants one, they can get one. Forza being bundled with it isn't going to turn them off.

Definitely agreed, they gotta get that shit in order if they expect Starfield to move consoles, if it's well received critically it could boost numbers.. and if the supply isn't there.. it's going to lead to problems.
the chances are pretty high for this game to be another "GTA" moment for Bethesda. But...they have extra pressure to deliver; and a "toxicity" tax (we all know why).

i don't think it will be as bad as Cyberpunk. but it could be quite rough (the conversation online that is).

either way; is going to very interesting how this game pushes xbox's numbers (Game Pass and/or Hardware). this is the big test.

Nubulax

Let me make it simple for you:

Is Series X & Series S Xbox consoles? Yes.

How much did he say was subsidized when you buy a Xbox Console? $100 - $200

Did he say $1 - $200? No

I repeat is Series S/X Xbox consoles?

Did he say in the past we would subsidized $100 - $200? No

He is clearly talking about the Consoles being sold now & even if he was talking about all Xbox consoles from the beginning of time Xbox Series X & Series S is included as Xbox consoles that they subsidize $100 - $200 for.
Theres literally an IGN article about it too lol https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-loses-between-100-and-200-on-every-xbox-sold

When PS5 is hard to find: "It's because it's like, soooooo in demand. PS5 would be way ahead of PS4's sales launch aligned if there weren't production issues."

When Series X is hard to find: "MS totally did this to themselves by having the Series S. I mean, whoever is in charge of supply should lose their job, because whatever the case may be. We're all in agreement that there's zero demand for it.... Right?

Right?

No crystal ball needed to know how this thread was gonna go.

Seems like more than a production issue. Microsoft has the pull with suppliers to make this mostly a non-issue. I think there’s intent to push the cheap digital only console, and a lack of confidence in Series X sales numbers to the point where it’s a self fulfilling prophecy.

Kokoloko85

When PS5 is hard to find: "It's because it's like, soooooo in demand. PS5 would be way ahead of PS4's sales launch aligned if there weren't production issues."

When Series X is hard to find: "MS totally did this to themselves by having the Series S. I mean, whoever is in charge of supply should lose their job, because whatever the case may be. We're all in agreement that there's zero demand for it.... Right?

Right?

No crystal ball needed to know how this thread was gonna go.

Because if you go on Amazon.co.uk you can buy a Series X, been the case for a year+. Whereas PS5 has only been properly available since Nov…

Its just not as in demand as the Xbox fans want it to be. The whole its projecting like Xbox 360 by Aaron Greenberg was just marketing talk. Xbox One also sold more than 360 at the start. Xbox series will sell more like Xbox One, not 360.

Maybe Starfield will increase it with good reviews, games like Doom and Gears too. But currently, its just going the same as Xbox One, maybe a couple million more

This must be a US issue because in Europe the Series X is available and has always been pretty much. The PS5 on the other hand is still difficult to track down, but it's gottaen much better lately.

Microsoft and Sony have focused on North America since it is the most competitive console market.

Xbox demand has never really been that big in Europe or Japan.

To see poor availability for Xbox in North America is a big concern and reveals the gravity of the problem. If Microsoft falls behind in North America, there is no method of catching up.

In North America, PS4 outsold the X1 by a 4:3 ratio. That's not terrible for Microsoft.

In Europe PS4 outsold X1 4:1.

If Sony gets a 2:1 or worse 3:1 ratio in North America, that's basically it for the brand.

The reality is that the Xbox Series is running relatively well against the PS5 due to the PS5's supply issues. If Sony can sell 30 million units this year, it'll be in pole position for the remainder of the generation, which will be driven largely by western sales, though I expect we'll see more sales in Japan with FF16. Mostly that 30 million will be focused on North America, which will crowd out future Xbox sales.

You've got about 70 million console players in North America and 25 million already accounted for. Sony can probably outsell the PS3 in North America by the end of the fiscal year... just insane.

Because if you go on Amazon.co.uk you can buy a Series X, been the case for a year+. Whereas PS5 has only been properly available since Nov…

Its just not as in demand as the Xbox fans want it to be. The whole its projecting like Xbox 360 by Aaron Greenberg was just marketing talk. Xbox One also sold more than 360 at the start. Xbox series will sell more like Xbox One, not 360.

Maybe Starfield will increase it with good reviews, games like Doom and Gears too. But currently, its just going the same as Xbox One, maybe a couple million more
Thanks for the tip Nostradamus.

Top Bottom