• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X outsells the PlayStation 5 in South Africa

Does anyone remember which of smaller countries had Xbox One outselling PS4 early previous gen and people talked about it to the point where it became Neogaf meme?

might have been New Zealand

sublimit

Banned
Always funny how in threads such as this one the OP always "forgets" to include the finer details in the article :messenger_grinning_smiling:
However, both retailers said that based on pre-order sales and wishlists, the PlayStation 5 was more in-demand than the Series X.

“It would be fair to say any new PS5 console allocations will be snapped up pretty quickly as soon as they become available again,” Raru said.

The reason it had not sold as well as the Series X, was because the retailers had received less stock of Sony’s console.

Last edited:
In Portugal+Spain, I'm pretty sure most of the weeks since November until now saw the Xbox selling a lot more than the PS5.
At the same time, last I checked ever since release the PS5 outsold the SeriesX by over 4:1.

Actually it is not a lot more. In Spain. Source is vandal.net

On Jan. 12th

Hardware

Switch was the best selling console
Xbox Series: 2.800 / 27.800
PlayStation 5: 1200 / 78.000

On Jan. 27th

Hardware

Switch: 6.000
Xbox Series X|S: 50 / 31.400
PlayStation 5: 40 / 78.900

MilkyJoe

Considering the sales of both consoles are still limited by available supply, it's not a big deal. The real "war" is after the summer, when things hopefully clear up.

I don't think this shortage is going anywhere in a world where WFH is going to be a big thing going forward

Fredrik

Nobody around here who wants a PS5, can get a PS5. Sony completely fucked up their launch.
That’s how it is in Sweden as well, we’re essentially at ”What’s a PS5?” now, I still haven’t seen the console in stock at any retailer since launch, don’t know anyone who has one either. Are all consoles allocated to the US??

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Actually it is not a lot more. In Spain. Source is vandal.net

On Jan. 12th

Hardware

Switch was the best selling console
Xbox Series: 2.800 / 27.800
PlayStation 5: 1200 / 78.000

On Jan. 27th

Hardware

Switch: 6.000
Xbox Series X|S: 50 / 31.400
PlayStation 5: 40 / 78.900

Isn't this what I stated, though?

Almost no PS5 consoles sold in the 2 weeks between Jan 12 and Jan 27, there's a 2.5:1 ratio between PS5 and both Xboxes, and I'm assuming the Series S is selling about as much as the Series X.
That puts the PS5 at over 4:1 comparing to the SeriesX.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Series X has the edge over PS5...on photo mode.

Series X is selling more than PS5...in South Africa.

Xbox fans are becoming more and more like MS PR.
eh it's been a problem a lot longer than recently & not just with Xbox fanboys, I remember back towards the end of the 360/PS3 era or start of the XB1/PS4 era there were clearly several astroturfers here on GAF

at some point though I think companies realized that they didn't really need to pay people to do that since the fanboys would be even more fervent & did it for free

Last edited:
can we stop these threads?
Too late

Traveling Choo Choo GIF by CBeebies HQ

Curious...​

"The Xbox Series X is outselling the PlayStation 5 in South Africa, but the latter remains the most in-demand of the next-generation consoles.
This is according to BT Games and Raru, two of the major retailers in the country which have sold both consoles since their launches in November 2020.
The companies told MyBroadband they had sold more Xbox Series X units than PlayStation 5 consoles over the last few months."

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gami...tsells-the-playstation-5-in-south-africa.html

Curious you didn't quote this part.

However, both retailers said that based on pre-order sales and wishlists, the PlayStation 5 was more in-demand than the Series X.

“It would be fair to say any new PS5 console allocations will be snapped up pretty quickly as soon as they become available again,” Raru said.

The reason it had not sold as well as the Series X, was because the retailers had received less stock of Sony’s console.

Curious...​

Last edited:

Curious...​

"The Xbox Series X is outselling the PlayStation 5 in South Africa, but the latter remains the most in-demand of the next-generation consoles.
This is according to BT Games and Raru, two of the major retailers in the country which have sold both consoles since their launches in November 2020.
The companies told MyBroadband they had sold more Xbox Series X units than PlayStation 5 consoles over the last few months."

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gami...tsells-the-playstation-5-in-south-africa.html
The article you linked also says this

NullZ3r0

Banned
So Sony hates South Africa? We know they've shipped out more consoles overall.

This PS5 shortage is the absolute worst case scenario for Sony who needed to pad on the sales before Microsoft nullifies Sony's first party exclusive advantage. This will be the first generation where a significant amount of big AAA titles won't be playable on a PlayStation console. We're heading into uncharted waters.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
While BT Games did not disclose exactly how many more Series X units it had sold, Raru told MyBroadband that it had sold twice as many of Microsoft’s console than Sony’s.

So are we taking about 10 XSS+XSX and 5 PS5+PS5D or what lol? If they can't even quote a single number, how can this article be news? It might be rampant speculation, it's almost non sequitur for goodness sake.

sublimit

Banned
So Sony hates South Africa? We know they've shipped out more consoles overall.

This PS5 shortage is the absolute worst case scenario for Sony who needed to pad on the sales before Microsoft nullifies Sony's first party exclusive advantage. This will be the first generation where a significant amount of big AAA titles won't be playable on a PlayStation console. We're heading into uncharted waters.
suzanne.gif

Airbus Jr

Banned
Dudes!! keep them POSITIVE XBOX news/articles coming. No better feelin' seeing fanboys buthurt, they're meltdowns and rage drool running over they're chin.

Just shows how one side is unstable, salty, jealousy of success and manages with ease to clock 2k pages over fps and facts with video proof analysis.

Congrats MS, ain't no stopping this express train, we skippin' stops straight to W !!
Yo...man..why New York Finest is baned?

Cmon..guys...seriously?

Last edited:

HurtGravy

Neo Member
can we stop these threads? they are beyond stupid.

Xbox sells more whenever it is available in higher quantity than PS5 and vise versa.

both systems basically sell out as soon as there is stock. so the system whith more stock sells more.

this is not indicative of any trend or anything debatable.
meaning these threads are useless fanboy baiting bullshit
Excellent so if Microsoft make more stock available than Sony globally, going by your logic Xbox series will outsell PS5 everywhere every month.

Sweden85

That’s how it is in Sweden as well, we’re essentially at ”What’s a PS5?” now, I still haven’t seen the console in stock at any retailer since launch, don’t know anyone who has one either. Are all consoles allocated to the US??
Komplett.no said that Scandinavia wasnt prioritized by Sony. They got much fewer PS5 than PS4..people that sign up for a waiting list isnt guaranteed one this year..

Flutta

Banned
Dudes!! keep them POSITIVE XBOX news/articles coming. No better feelin' seeing fanboys buthurt, they're meltdowns and rage drool running over they're chin.

Just shows how one side is unstable, salty, jealousy of success and manages with ease to clock 2k pages over fps and facts with video proof analysis.

Congrats MS, ain't no stopping this express train, we skippin' stops straight to W !!
True warrior. Keep up the good fight 😂

Isn't this what I stated, though?

Almost no PS5 consoles sold in the 2 weeks between Jan 12 and Jan 27, there's a 2.5:1 ratio between PS5 and both Xboxes, and I'm assuming the Series S is selling about as much as the Series X.
That puts the PS5 at over 4:1 comparing to the SeriesX.

You said a lot more. But i dunno what is your definition of a lot more. IMO this isn't a lot more, though. What Switch is doing is a lot more

Fredrik

Komplett.no said that Scandinavia wasnt prioritized by Sony. They got much fewer PS5 than PS4..people that sign up for a waiting list isnt guaranteed one this year..
This year?! 😲 And people are already joking that it’s like an urban myth at this point

Top Bottom