• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X: Phil Spencer Says You Haven't Understood The True Power Of Next-Gen Yet

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
They have set their big games showcase for July. Hopefully it delivers. Until then I think it is okay for Phil to appear on a podcast if he wants to.
He can but I'm tired of his PR bullshit.We don't understand how the games will feel well then show us it's too easy to talk.
Blow our minds with games then maybe there will be weight to his words.
And with him it's always we'll have the best lineup in Xbox history then he shows us world premiere of multiplatform games and timed exclusives.
I think people buying Xbox deserve better and they're heading toward the good direction that's great but now would be the time to show what those studios bought can deliver and not that half attempt with bleeding Edge.

You can't parade telling people they don't understand your console when you haven't really shown gameplay.

I hope they will deliver amazing games but as of now I base my choice on history not on premises.

Who's here been with a girl that was more talk than act? That's how Xbox feel now Fuck us with games Phil don't tease then blueball us. (oooohhhh I get dukeblueballs name now)

DaGwaphics

And can be felt. A lot. Next-gen staying at 30 fps would be a failure in my opinion.

It will be up to first-party to drive that home. Yes, if you only target 30 things can be prettier, but at what cost. If first party started focusing on the gameplay as much as the visuals, third-parties would be drug along for the ride eventually. Choppy 30fps just wouldn't be acceptable anymore.

giphy.gif

sendit

And can be felt. A lot. Next-gen staying at 30 fps would be a failure in my opinion.

Agreed. However, expect to be disappointed by next gen consoles if your baseline is how much FPS a title is pushing.

If an individuals goal is to see more FPS, get a PC. With the only limitation being your wallet.

Last edited:

Ascend

He can but I'm tired of his PR bullshit.We don't understand how the games will feel well then show us it's too easy to talk.
Blow our minds with games then maybe there will be weight to his words.
And with him it's always we'll have the best lineup in Xbox history then he shows us world premiere of multiplatform games and timed exclusives.
I think people buying Xbox deserve better and they're heading toward the good direction that's great but now would be the time to show what those studios bought can deliver and not that half attempt with bleeding Edge.

You can't parade telling people they don't understand your console when you haven't really shown gameplay.

I hope they will deliver amazing games but as of now I base my choice on history not on premises.

Who's here been with a girl that was more talk than act? That's how Xbox feel now Fuck us with games Phil don't tease then blueball us. (oooohhhh I get dukeblueballs name now)
I think Inside Xbox was meant to show a variety of game genres, rather than to show next gen graphics. Xbox is still known as the console that has nothing but Halo and Forza. But they failed to market it correctly, creating excess hype in the process, and then disappointing people. I do think they have game variety covered. And obviously, they won't show (much of) their most powerful card, which is Halo Infinite, until close to launch.

Shin

Banned
I wish the media and fans of other platforms and Xbox alike would drop the Phil says shit.
Would be nice to let the news speak for itself rather than run with such a dumbass headline over and over again.

sendit

"One of the things I've talked about publicly ... but it's hard to come across, is the way it feels to play games on a box where frame rates are higher, frame rates are more stable," Spencer said. "The fluidity of it, showing that in video form, is just impossible. How do you show how something feels?"

I figured a MS guy would have heard about Windows PCs.... hmm you learn something new everyday. But seriously shit or get off the pot. Say in absolute terms ALL (first party games) will be 60FPS or shut up. And please, please stop with the "Up to 120fps and 8K"..... can and will are not even close to the same thing. (Same goes for Sony!)

BOC9NKd.jpg

And now, blame your dumb consumers. Great plan, Phil.

But we understand they have nothing to show exept base ps4 games at 4k 30 fps. That what they did. There's something wrong with their narative.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think Inside Xbox was meant to show a variety of game genres, rather than to show next gen graphics. Xbox is still known as the console that has nothing but Halo and Forza. But they failed to market it correctly, creating excess hype in the process, and then disappointing people. I do think they have game variety covered. And obviously, they won't show (much of) their most powerful card, which is Halo Infinite, until close to launch.
Of course they haven't shown their cards but promoting gameplay and blueballing us then telling us that we didn't understand how is that on us ?

They failed hard with their inside Xbox the blame is not on us you fail at something you take the L then try to do better.The public isn't to blame there especially when they have a lot to catch up on the game front.

Sincerly It felt like he was saying too bad gamers you're too stupid to get us ....

No Phil when you shit the bed clean it up don't blame the cat.

When he will deliver and give us great games we eventually may listen to him but look at what he did when he was head of Xbox studios.Now to me he's just a random salesman with a gaming Tshirt.

And if they show great games that aren't huge sales wise then yes that will be on us but now shut the fuck up Phil do your job better than that instead of lecturing us.

What infuriates me is that some Xbox fanatics are happy the way things are now ? How? We all know Xbox can do way better and it would be time to show it now.

Do better, xbox gamers deserve it , and drop that PR bullshit a bit of honesty would be great for once .

sendit

Yes it can be seen but that's not the reason people want higher FPS

Never said it was.......However, it is still possible to demonstrate the/a benefit of 60 FPS over a video (saying otherwise is just preying on the ignorance of people). Anything higher than 60, not so much as most people don’t have high refresh rate panels.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Man, can you blame him? We've been eagerly waiting a long time... we expected significant news in the Xbox event and didn't get much from it except for cinematic trailers for mostly smaller titles. I certainly don't want a repeat of the hiccups of this gen, where you play the waiting game (exclusives-wise).
Well we knew those games weren't first party. We just expected a new big third party game like Elden Ring or something. Microsoft hyped it a bit too much

onQ123

Never said it was.......However, it is still possible to demonstrate the/a benefit of 60 FPS over a video (saying otherwise is just preying on the ignorance of people). Anything higher than 60, not so much as most people don’t have high refresh rate panels.

I don't get what your argument is because it's clear that he is talking about not being able to show how much better it will feel to play the Xbox Series X games. showing a video of 30fps vs 60fps isn't going to show you how it feel.

TigerKnee

Of course they haven't shown their cards but promoting gameplay and blueballing us then telling us that we didn't understand how is that on us ?

They failed hard with their inside Xbox the blame is not on us you fail at something you take the L then try to do better.The public isn't to blame there especially when they have a lot to catch up on the game front.

Sincerly It felt like he was saying too bad gamers you're too stupid to get us ....

No Phil when you shit the bed clean it up don't blame the cat.

When he will deliver and give us great games we eventually may listen to him but look at what he did when he was head of Xbox studios.Now to me he's just a random salesman with a gaming Tshirt.

And if they show great games that aren't huge sales wise then yes that will be on us but now shut the fuck up Phil do your job better than that instead of lecturing us.

What infuriates me is that some Xbox fanatics are happy the way things are now ? How? We all know Xbox can do way better and it would be time to show it now.

Do better, xbox gamers deserve it , and drop that PR bullshit a bit of honesty would be great for once .

I think you are taking this a little too seriously.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I really don't know why devs will suddenly favor framerate over fidelity after generations of most devs not giving a shit. And they give a shit because nearly every 60FPS game ever has been panned by gamers as ugly.. lazy devs, etc. People don't care, even if they claim to.

And MS are pushing Raytracing.. so unless AMD has some amazing hardware RT they haven't detailed I don't see how even MS 1st party are going to hit 60FPS.

Last edited:

yurinka

30 FPS and 1440p is next gen?
The UE5 demo -unoptimized because the engine will be released in a year and half from now- running at 1440p 30fps is way more next gen than a game constrained by the XBO S limitations running at 120fps, which I assume will be the peak of MS 1st party output for almost two years, since MS said they will continue releasing all their games on XBO for the first 2 years of Series X.

I really don't know why devs will suddenly favor framerate over fidelity after generations of most devs not giving a shit. And they give a shit because nearly every 60FPS game ever has been panned by gamers as ugly.. lazy devs, etc. People don't care, even if they claim to.

And MS are pushing Raytracing.. so unless AMD has some amazing hardware RT they haven't detailed I don't see how even MS 1st party are going to hit 60FPS.
For crossgen/current gen games patched to run better in next gen, I assume they will try to use higher FPS, native 4K, some raytracing. But for next gen only AAA games with crazy visuals I assume that they will continue the same 30 or 60fps target depending on the genre that we always had. Specially when most TVs and PC displays that people has at home don't support 120fps or 144Hz. Same goes with 8K support, almost nobody will have them at home for the first years of the generation. Instead, native 4K at 60fps will start to be common on games because now will be something achievable by next gen exclusive AAA games with top visuals running on consoles and common PCs.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Is this the part where we pretend we don't know how a 60fps game feels like and is exclusive to next gen?

Well, console players only have a limited relationship with 60fps in specific genres. We'd like to dream about the possibilities of going 120fps in those and ditching 30fps all together. We'll wake up on our own, there's no need for the air horn.

sendit

I don't get what your argument is because it's clear that he is talking about not being able to show how much better it will feel to play the Xbox Series X games. showing a video of 30fps vs 60fps isn't going to show you how it feel.

Not sure if you completely read his full statement, or just missed it? Here you go:

“Spencer said. "The fluidity of it, showing that in video form, is just impossible. How do you show how something feels?"”

You can absolutely show how more FPS is more fluid. He then asks how do you show how it feels, which I agree with.

Last edited:
Guy who promoted his current console as the 60fps machine promotes next machine with how much different it feels when frame rates are actually stable.

I really like the dude but: Fuck you Phil.

Andodalf

Banned

120 FPS screens are going to become a lot more popular as time goes on

Well we knew those games weren't first party. We just expected a new big third party game like Elden Ring or something. Microsoft hyped it a bit too much
This gen we saw all sorts of news in February 2013. I know there's a pandemic going on but they're delaying this too much, we got a Series X reveal but no PS5 reveal, no exclusive games, etc. Meh, could be worse TBF.

Three

Well, console players only have a limited relationship with 60fps in specific genres. We'd like to dream about the possibilities of going 120fps in those and ditching 30fps all together. We'll wake up on our own, there's no need for the air horn.
And why do you think that is?
Good luck playing those limited 120fps games is all I can say. Nobody is ditching 30fps all together especially when the current showpiece for xbox series x is a 30fps viking game. This is just PR blowing hot air as usual.

We know what 120fps feels like from PC. if console players cared about 60-120fps you would be getting 60-120fps games that looked last gen right now.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
120 FPS screens are going to become a lot more popular as time goes on
Not sure what that has to do with my post; most TVs have been 60hz at least for ages and most devs don't target 60FPS because they (and gamers) prefer higher fidelity.

MAYBE this is the gen where those "details you can only achieve with a framerate hit" won't make sense; but that's certainly not what developers have chosen to do in the past.

He just lost all little credibility for me (he actually gained with acquiring more mid tier studios) wuth this asanine bozo comment lol wtf this isn't HDR lol 😂😂

Tht UE5 demo really got under ppls skin.

Don't know about all that but Phil did clearly came out of his cave when the UE5 demo on PS5 came out. Quick on that twitter. He was nowhere to be seen when they fucked up that Inside Xbox. Sweeney hit home for sure.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
I think a lot of people are too forgiving about him.... Imagine Reggie saying that or Yoshida.There would be an outrage.
Nothing he said was controversial. Its just Sony fanboys playing up a tech demo and imagining what PS5 games will look like when Sony gets around to it. We've seen Godfall, but everything Xbox has shown looks better than this.

Some of the rhetoric here will calm down once people see that most early PS5 games will look like PS4 Pro HD. No knock on the PS5, that's just the way things work.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
And the PS5 will have even more feels with the DualSense controller. I really don't know what to expect with that thing but I'm excited for it.

I think so many PS5 gamers are going to be disappointed when they realize the revolutionary Dualsense feature is really just targeted vibration.

sendit

Don't know about all that but Phil did clearly came out of his cave when the UE5 demo on PS5 came out. Quick on that twitter. He was nowhere to be seen when they fucked up that Inside Xbox. Sweeney hit home for sure.

This. As a company (Microsoft) that relies heavily on Unreal Engine, how did they not know that Epic was going to show UE5 on the PS5 a week after their horrible next gen game show case.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
This user has been removed from thread. Dial back the console warring and stay out of threads that bring it out in you.
Nothing he said was controversial. Its just Sony fanboys playing up a tech demo and imagining what PS5 games will look like when Sony gets around to it. We've seen Godfall, but everything Xbox has shown looks better than this.

Some of the rhetoric here will calm down once people that most early PS5 games will look like PS4 Pro HD. No knock on the PS5, that's just the way things work.

Everything Xbox has shown? 😂😂Are you serious? At least Sony showed real game play of a game (which looked graphically good BTW) and then the demo presentation of UE5 actually running on a PS5. Microsoft showed Hellblade 2 cutscene that isn't gameplay and a bunch of other mediocre third party shit. Stop the bs bro Sony is winning in that category as well and June will just be hell fire. I'll take actual gameplay over a cutscene or some live action bs anytime. Nothing Xbox has actually shown looks better than God fall. Btw games like tlou 2 and GoT looks better than anything shown or not shown for nextbox. One thing is for sure Sony will win in the games department they have tons of history and data in tht regard 😊

You are not fooling us 👀try again.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Some of the rhetoric here will calm down once people that most early PS5 games will look like PS4 Pro HD. No knock on the PS5, that's just the way things work.
Yeah basically saying people are dumb and misunderstood Xbox and that you can't feel next gen gameplay on a video....
Well maybe at least try to show it.I don't care about that ps5 unreal 5 demo you talk about sony fanboys when people just want to see games with gameplay.You see fanboy when there isn't.Phil is shitting on people disapointed by Xbox.They fucked up hyping gameplay when there wasn't, they fucked up hyping next gen when they showed CGI and what they expect CGI to be on an upcoming console.

Sony hasn't fucked up yet simply because they haven't really started (well except for that road to ps5 it should have been private to devs not public).

But they don't dare telling people they don't understand and can't show how their game feel because they haven't shown shit just like Xbox.If you fuck up man up change things don't blame the consumer.

Edit: Also Phil thinks consumer are stupid because sony fanboys were happy about Unreal 5.... Think about your point take a deep breath and think.

Last edited:

Arkam

The vitriol in this thread... smh!

I cant speak for anyone else, but I am just tired of MS AND Sony blowing smoke up our ass with claiming that their next box will do crazy things that THEY KNOW it will not. They BOTH do it every gen and it really wears on people. Phil can easily make a TCR that all XSX games must run at 60fps and be 4k..... but they wont. Ill be curious to see if 720p will still be allowed. Cuz not having 1080p as a mandated standard is laughable at this point.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I never said it was on us. It's on them.
Great then they need to do better.That's the problem with this podcast you can't tell people misunderstand when you shit the messaging.But it feels like it's never Phil's fault.The guy thrashed Xbox first parties when he was the head of them but it wasn't his fault, the Xbox one?No it was Don Mattrick alone (even though I hate Don Mattrick).Mistakes are always because of others.Timed exclusives he's not a fan and will stop them but continues.It is somehow never his fault.
When Sony got hacked the chief of sony Howard stringer apologized publicly yes they fucked up but at least took the L and made PSN way better.
They didn't blame the hackers.
Look at how Nintendo explained the next Metroid delay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom