• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Price Won’t Be Revealed During The July Event

Replying to a tweet by Daniel Ahmad on the matter, The Verge's Tom Warren revealed that the console's pricing info will not be revealed during the July 23rd showcase, as it will only focus on games.

Despite being so close to release, pricing info for both the Xbox Series X and the PlayStation 5 has yet to be revealed. As Microsoft is rumored to reveal the Xbox Series S in August, it is likely that info on the Series X pricing will be revealed by then.

With each party not showing their hand I'm fully ready to just see "???" on the price tag on shelves.

I wonder who will break first.

I don't think MS want to be caught out like last time, but if Series S is a thing then I see no issue with announcing a premium console at a more expensive price.

Similarly, the two SKU options Sony have will most likely be competing in price. Though if the Digital Edition isn't £50-£100 off then I see no point in getting it.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
With each party not showing their hand I'm fully ready to just see "???" on the price tag on shelves.

I wonder who will break first.

I don't think MS want to be caught out like last time, but if Series S is a thing then I see no issue with announcing a premium console at a more expensive price.

Similarly, the two SKU options Sony have will most likely be competing in price. Though if the Digital Edition isn't £50-£100 off then I see no point in getting it.
Rumours are Sony is planning to reveal this 13th of July.

cormack12

Gold Member
200.gif

giphy.gif

Who has got the balls to go first, lol. Good news is that we should profit (the gamers) from the competitive market. I feel Sony has more info held back to drip feed longer though (the back of the console, the dimensions)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nothing shows confidence like hiding.

It's not hiding nor is it anything to do with confidence. Sony and MS are both playing chicken with one another. As soon as one of them drops the price, they other can (potentially) swoop in for the undercut.

It was one of the reasons the Xbox One reveal/launch was so fucking bad and MS would be smart to try and prevent it from happening again. That $100 difference was instrumental.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Yup it’s only logic, been saying this for months, just wait for the leader to announce and stay under their price.

hardcore which are the first to buy don’t even need a price , only a release date , they buy regardless!

would be fun you find out the prices on launch day 🤣

Last edited:

oldergamer

I heard two things recently. One sony pricing was being set on july13th to the public. That eb games already has pricing on ps5. I started a thread but it was closed since people here can be very jaded, but dont be surprised at a $599 price tag is what im currently expecting.

The unit is large and has a large cooling system that sounds expensive. Its not out of question as we saw it once from ps3.

MS said flat out they are waiting for sony to announce price. This is what good competition does. Its good for the consumer.

oldergamer

Holy fuck, we all know its either 500 or 600, stop treating it like its an State Secret....
I still can't believe a thread was shut down just for discussing it? It's no secret as you mention. The new consoles will be expensive. I'm more interested in seeing if they come up with creative payment options, like $400 if you sign up for 2 years of gamepass, or $299 if you sign up for a 3 year contract. There's no reason consoles can't be subsidized like cell phones.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There's no reason consoles can't be subsidized like cell phones.

They have been for years, just not directly from the source. Problem is that cell phones are usually more than twice as expensive as these boxes, so there's rarely the same level of demand.

McHuj

Either want's to get undercut and neither wants to take a big loss if they have to undercut. I think both will be priced the same.

I tink MS has more flexibility on this, I think they'll be fine pricing the Xbox at $499, but I think they want to make sure that the PS5 is $499 first.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Not a good look ? How so ? Aint undercuting each other good for them & us ?
Isnt that the business model of many succesful company's ? Cmon man.

If either were confident about the price they would have announced it and let the other one deal with it.

They both know damn well that people aren't going to be happy with how much these things are going to cost.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I can't believe I'm the only one really losing patience with this nonsense between Sony & Microsoft....they each know roughly their respective BOM's, so they'll know within $50 of each other how much they need to price it at and $50 or so won't mean the difference between winning & losing this round of the console market, FFS.

supernova8

Banned
It's interesting because while they likely want to undercut their competitor, they also won't want to price it so low that they struggle to make money from it at all for a few year.

If Microsoft went really aggressive (say $399 for Series X) they would have the ability to say "look we're cheaper and more powerful" but then they are stuck at $399 or lower for the rest of the generation.

Last edited:
If either were confident about the price they would have announced it and let the other one deal with it.

They both know damn well that people aren't going to be happy with how much these things are going to cost.
Hence the wait, to undercut each other so one could have an extra edge.

supernova8

Banned
Is there a psychological reason more people clicked on the bottom "No" then the top one ?
dUXZU7L.png

I'd expect the majority of people following him on Twitter are either in the industry/in the stock market (and therefore relatively aware) or are people from GAF or ERA and therefore relatively aware.

Kerotan

So nothing in July from xbox. That leaves August for the next xbox and playstation event. If Sony were smart they won't announce the August event until half way through August at the earliest and then announce it for the last day of the month.

If MS then hold off the price until September Sony should just hold off too. If needs be they can announce the ps5 price a week before launch and launch it a week after xbox it they want to ensure they are priced competitively.

Regardless of how late they announce it every single launch year ps5 they can manufacture is getting sold.

I can't believe I'm the only one really losing patience with this nonsense between Sony & Microsoft....they each know roughly their respective BOM's, so they'll know within $50 of each other how much they need to price it at and $50 or so won't mean the difference between winning & losing this round of the console market, FFS.
Said Dr D00p, the expert in console pricing.

Reactions: MrS

Stuart360

I think its pretty obvious both consoles wont be $399, because they would of told us already if they were as neither would be able to go under $399 i'm sure.

They should just go 449 for Series X and 299 for Series S. The best Sony can possibly do is 399 for the digital. So then the Series X would be 50 more for better hardware and a disc drive, nothing wrong with that.

But if Sony come in at 449 for the digital then the Series X can be 499, that’s why we are seeing the cat and mouse display. No point screwing yourself out of 50 bucks per console if it wasn’t necessary. Both platforms will sell through their first x million regardless so it’s best to price as high as you can get away with and then reduce later.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe why Microsoft is waiting is not necessarily to first checkout what Sony does (although that's an added bonus) they might want to do it similar to Apple events. Show the device, tell us the price, and it's available in 2-3 weeks. There were rumours that they wanted to release the Xbox Series X in September already, so if that's the case it would be great for their august event to reveal that date and the pricing.

I love how people keep posting these anti-Sony gotchas thinking that I'm a Sony fan :messenger_grinning_smiling:
It's a natural reaction, someone comes to a thread xbox related and see this :
Nothing shows confidence like hiding.
can expect this :
Exactly! Thats why Sony announced... oh wait.
:messenger_grinning: (i know you're not a fan) birdo
hardcore/extremist nintendo fanboy (judging by your avatar)
it's all jokes.

cormack12

Gold Member
I still can't believe a thread was shut down just for discussing it? It's no secret as you mention. The new consoles will be expensive. I'm more interested in seeing if they come up with creative payment options, like $400 if you sign up for 2 years of gamepass, or $299 if you sign up for a 3 year contract. There's no reason consoles can't be subsidized like cell phones.

They already said they will be epxanding Xbox All Access for the new launches so it bodes well. Honestly, based on supply, I'd hit that first run as a big loss leader - dunno how many consoles that would be, but offer a day 1 reward for first global shipment. If you want to move the consoles, £349 for first massive shipment, then sell at an RRP after. Break the market first

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

They are probably going to end up close enough to each other to be honest, but MS with a 2 console strategy and also being the underdog here they probably want to undercut if they can. It’s a bad look if you announce a price and then backtrack because the other guys announced a lower price than you did. Since they are the underdogs here I think it makes sense for them to wait it out some more and price match/ have a lower price or better value (games/game pass bundled as well).

Like Peter Moore said, it’s all about first to 10 million units. They can’t afford to be beaten on price this time around and they know it. Sony, because of the bigger fan base, can probably afford to be 50$ more expensive to 100$ as they will most likely still sell at that price. For MS, while that is somewhat true in the US, UK, Mexico and Australia if they want to make a dent in other regions worldwide they’ll need to be a lot more aggressive. If they play their cards right there is a possibility for them to gain market share this gen, but the launch period is crucial for their image for the next 7 years.

Its all about who will blink first... Sony or MS. Unless MS are waiting to show an Xbox series S first.

All digital was laughed out the shop a few years ago, xbox one suffered big at the time during that reveal about always online. So it will be interesting to see how cheaply Sony can charge for he digital ad that could be the game breaker for some.

PresetError

Neophyte
Next generation consoles have been always presented at E3. Playstation always went after Xbox at E3. Xbox now wants to know the price tag of the PS5 before telling theirs. That's not going to happen. We all have to wait for Microsoft now.

JLB

Banned
I love how people keep posting these anti-Sony gotchas thinking that I'm a Sony fan :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I dont know if you are a sony fan or not,
It's a natural reaction, someone comes to a thread xbox related and see this :

can expect this :

:messenger_grinning: (i know you're not a fan) birdo
hardcore/extremist nintendo fanboy (judging by your avatar)
it's all jokes.

What happen to your PRO logo, dude :p ?

Tiamat2san

Maybe why Microsoft is waiting is not necessarily to first checkout what Sony does (although that's an added bonus) they might want to do it similar to Apple events. Show the device, tell us the price, and it's available in 2-3 weeks. There were rumours that they wanted to release the Xbox Series X in September already, so if that's the case it would be great for their august event to reveal that date and the pricing.
I’d love the 2/3 weeks release availability.
I’ll got the cash, who needs 2 kidneys anyway?

Top Bottom