• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X VR Support

John117

Hi guys,
I think everyday at VR on Series X, I think that could be amazing. What would you like?
1) Headset build from Microsoft with some easter egg of Halo?
2)Only support Oculus Rift?

The VR is an technology that can have its say, I don't understand Spencer. You imagine to play a level of Halo with VR, it could be the experience of the life. Beyond If microsoft could build a wireless headset, it would be cool. What do you think?

VR doesn't have a viable and sustainable market not only from a hardware perspective but also in terms of developers. The install base is tiny, the hardware is expensive, the experiences are hard to elongate due to fatigue, not everyone can enjoy it without getting motion sickness, and most of the games which release for it are indie level development, bite sized experiences or shovelware.

Does VR have a place in gaming? Sure, but it's not worth its salt yet to bother with from an investment standpoint. Even if you look at something like PSVR it has completely stagnated, there's rarely anything new or worth getting and few bother porting their games to it.

Microsoft has more important things to worry about that will actually reach people.

Max_Po

Banned
VR doesn't have a viable and sustainable market not only from a hardware perspective but also in terms of developers. The install base is tiny, the hardware is expensive, the experiences are hard to elongate due to fatigue, not everyone can enjoy it without getting motion sickness, and most of the games which release for it are indie level development, bite sized experiences or shovelware.

Does VR have a place in gaming? Sure, but it's not worth its salt yet to bother with from an investment standpoint. Even if you look at something like PSVR it has completely stagnated, there's rarely anything new or worth getting and few bother porting their games to it.

Microsoft has more important things to worry about that will actually reach people.

Yes like how to cure Mat's stinky Booty ....as there is too much Gass through his ass
.... f**k full paragraphs of bullshit..

Last edited:
Yes like how to cure Mat's stinky Booty ....as there is too much Gass through his ass
.... f**k full paragraphs of bullshit..
651871321600425996.png

mcjmetroid

Hi guys,
I think everyday at VR on Series X, I think that could be amazing. What would you like?

The VR is an technology that can have its say, I don't understand Spencer. You imagine to play a level of Halo with VR, it could be the experience of the life. Beyond If microsoft could build a wireless headset, it would be cool. What do you think?
Microsoft have their hands full even getting a regular console off the ground so they should stay focused on that.

Besides with the diaster that was Kinect I feel they're gonna be very slow to bank on a gimmick again.

I don't think MS cares for VR....... The SX could probably support it
Sure it can support it, but the question is should it? I mean they could let third parties go at it with varying headsets but they don't want to make any kind of investment in it.

I have a Rift and Pimax 5k + as an early backer and while the latter does look great and the increased FOV makes VR seem more worthwhile and less of a through the binoculars experience the truth is I don't even care to play it that much once the wow factor wears off. It feels like a difference between going to a gym and working out at home. The latter isn't the most ideal experience but it's more convenient and cheaper.

But maybe that's why VR doesn't take off as a preferred experience but considering that most major games don't have a VR option then it probably will always take the backseat so for now I don't see it being a good investment for MS on the consoles when their mixed reality platform couldn't even take off.

Last edited:

magnumpy

odd that spencer would come and publicly poo-poo the idea of VR on the new Xbox. seems like they want to differentiate themselves from PlayStation in that way. whatever, obviously if people want VR they are forced to go with PC or PlayStation. oh but xbox has kinect, can't forget about kinect ._.

Wonko_C

Hi guys,

Everytime I play Driveclub VR I wish I could play Forza Horizon 4 in VR.

pr0cs

I'd love to see them work with Oculus but considering they already have their own vr sets (wmr) the chances are slim it will ever transpire.
Personally though I'd rather them work on having compelling games rather than stretching themselves too thin next gen

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Microsoft has the WMR headsets (which aren't as good currently but they could always do an upgraded ver 2.0 spec whenever they feel like it, they still pioneered the now popular Rift S/Quest style inside out tracking that is easy to set up and use compared to better tracking that requires external hardware), if they want to get VR on their system when they later through the generation realize their (and the average forum ignoramus' chiming in) mistake (as teams within Microsoft like the Flight Simulator team have realized it and vouched for full and proper VR support being a high priority) they aren't going to support Oculus. It's also silly to expect them to support all kinds of different headsets when they have different inputs and what not. Then again people do that on PC just fine, but usually console ports tend to want to have an easier time, with the preset specs, and preset input methods (few even support mice and shit still). I guess it's plausible but not likely, hell, different VR features could affect performance which you don't want on console but acknowledge it's your decision when you play on PC (higher fov, higher resolution, additional tracking and eye tracking which does potentially take some performance), not to mention the ports, power draw, etc., which could mean even WMR kits aren't all viable for Xbox, so there could be a new Xbox-specific WMR model or specific model specs that will work on it and if you buy better it doesn't even work or the extras aren't used (so it doesn't run native resolution on that set but maintains the res it would run at on the lesser models or something making them less than ideal).

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Microsoft backed AR. They even stated at their E3 conference that Vr was not the future, AR was.

Then they cancelled their AR headset because it didn't work.
In a sense they're right though, pretty much every modern and future VR set incorporates stereo 3D cameras and pass through capabilities so you could say AR is being built into every VR device ready to be used whenever someone finds an application for it. But I do think AR-only kits are more restrictive than VR-only kits (but AR is still fine for stuff, not so much gaming as far as I'm concerned, although some gaming stuff can still be done with it, not just Pokemon Go shit but also imagine something like playing airsoft out in the open except it's not with airsoft guns but just your controllers and shit, have weapons and power ups and flags spawn, etc.).

Last edited:

Banned
Microsoft's best choice would be to natively support the Oculus Rift S and Oculus Quest.

easy to use headsets, not too expensive and they should have no issue connecting with a small adapter box similar to the PSVR

Last edited:
Don't want it...Don't need it

Let Sony fumble around with it until they can figure out a way to let people who get motion sickness or can't view 3d content as it will always remain simply a fad.

It will only ad cost

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I guess eventually Xbox will support Windows Mixed Reality. Lots of people here dont know that Microsoft actually has a VR platform

I'd like to play Halo Infinite with AR.... The screen with no HUD and the glasses displaying all the cool HUD. I'd be down with that... But I also guess that MS doesn't either care for AR

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I'd like to play Halo Infinite with AR.... The screen with no HUD and the glasses displaying all the cool HUD. I'd be down with that... But I also guess that MS doesn't either care for AR
They care about it so much that Hololens 2 got a US military contract and is slowly getting other competitors bankrupt or cancelled(even though Hololens 2 is more expensive).
Fun fact, Kinect is also alive and its called "Azure Kinect", its used in medical facilities.

Last edited:

Techies

Well OP is asking for VR, I'm asking for VR for the next gen Xbox. So the question is, who is nobody?

Last edited:

Dural

I guess eventually Xbox will support Windows Mixed Reality. Lots of people here dont know that Microsoft actually has a VR platform

I was surprised how quick and easy it was to get a WMR device setup, I was up and running within 10 minutes of plugging it in to my PC. Works great with SteamVR too, would love it if MS would support it on XSX.

CeeJay

Microsoft backed AR. They even stated at their E3 conference that Vr was not the future, AR was.

Then they cancelled their AR headset because it didn't work.

Now they've got egg on their face again (Kinect, HD-DVD, AR)
Totally incorrect. Hololens is alive and kicking and on its second iteration. It has never been aimed at the consumer market yet but its still in very active development and once the tech becomes cheaper and ready for prime time you can bet they will do something with it in the gaming space. MS also have their mixed reality software support on PC built into Windows with multiple third parties making headsets. It would be extremely easy for them to include the Xbox eco system. If the market gets to the point where its ready then it will come in some form. I would also confidently say that MS has more money and staff currently invested in VR, MR and AR than Sony. Kinect is still a thing as well although has been moved out from Xbox to another division where it is still been actively developed for use in other applications than gaming. This goes to show how Microsoft are agile enough to be able to leverage any of their tech or projects in any of their other divisions if it makes sense. As long as MS are doing some development into VR, MR, AR then its not dead and could come to Xbox.

Top Bottom