• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X VR Support

Romulus

"The next step change for gamers and game developers must deliver true 4k gaming and high fidelity VR" - Phil Spencer

Okay wow, i didnt know he said this. He's all over the place. That wasn't long ago either. I never paid too much attention to him but its absolutely clear they have no idea what they want to do. I wouldn't be surprised at anything they pull now.

Last edited:

Dural

I can't understand why they wouldn't support the PC VR headsets. If they don't want to make their own hardware that's fine, they already have the software there with WMR.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm not interested in owning a VR set in my home.

I played a very good one at the mall a while ago. I think it was probably PC based. And it was fun for like 5 minutes, and then I started getting a headache.

In my opinion VR is a lot like 3D movies. People like to use it in a theatre setting(or at the mall in the case of VR), but not at home.

Last edited:

Romulus

I played a very good one at the mall a while ago. I think it was probably PC based. And it was fun for like 5 minutes, and then I started getting a headache.

In my opinion VR is a lot like 3D movies. People like to use it in a theatre setting(or at the mall in the case of VR), but not at home.

Was that your first time trying VR?

Wonko_C

I can't understand why they wouldn't support the PC VR headsets. If they don't want to make their own hardware that's fine, they already have the software there with WMR.
I'm just guessing here but maybe supporting multiple different headset configuration and controllers would be too much hassle for the console and the devs.

There's also the possibility of licensing and stuff, maybe Oculus wouldn't want their headset to work on Xbox if there wasn't anything for them to gain.

And having multiple headsets of varying quality and performance would just be a bad look for Xbox. WMR headsets are already inferior to Oculus' inside-out tracking, imagine how would that look if PlayStation comes out with a PSVR2 that is wireless and has superior features?

By the time Xbox gets serious with VR, you'll be getting more headaches in non-VR than actual VR technology, as the vergence accommodation conflict will have been solved.

Interesting, because I play for hours all the time on the Valve Index at home, and am looking forward to sinking in serious time with Half Life Alyx.

Gargus

Banned
I dont care about it on a Microsoft system. A gimmick isn't going to convince me to buy another system of theirs. Their problems that keep me away have nothing to do with lack of vr or any gadget.

MacReady13

I dont care about it on a Microsoft system. A gimmick isn't going to convince me to buy another system of theirs. Their problems that keep me away have nothing to do with lack of vr or any gadget.

Curious to know what problems they are? I know their lack of exclusives would be 1 of them...

Romulus

Curious to know what problems they are? I know their lack of exclusives would be 1 of them...

Exclusives has to be it. The brand was built around great games that gave the xbox an identity. Now everything is on PC day one.

Last edited:

Techies

Interesting, because I play for hours all the time on the Valve Index at home, and am looking forward to sinking in serious time with Half Life Alyx.

Same, I was shocked to see I did 30 hours in Walking Dead and around 15 hours in boneworks.
If a game is well designed, fatigue and comfort becomes the big issue.

Just tried GTA V in VR, was awesome, but I needed to lay down for like an hour.
Those cutscenes make for a great use case of what works and what does not work in VR if you just outright directly convert the game.

MacReady13

Exclusives has to be it. The brand was built around great games that gave the xbox an identity. Now everything is on PC day one.

I am out with Xbox next gen. They seem so all over the place in terms of what they want. Just make the focus console exclusive games. I honestly don't understand why they feel the need to make a console next gen when you can play all their games on PC! Either stick with 1 or the other...

Romulus

I am out with Xbox next gen. They seem so all over the place in terms of what they want. Just make the focus console exclusive games. I honestly don't understand why they feel the need to make a console next gen when you can play all their games on PC! Either stick with 1 or the other...

Yup. Same for me and millions of others.

Romulus

Same, I was shocked to see I did 30 hours in Walking Dead and around 15 hours in boneworks.
If a game is well designed, fatigue and comfort becomes the big issue.

Just tried GTA V in VR, was awesome, but I needed to lay down for like an hour.
Those cutscenes make for a great use case of what works and what does not work in VR if you just outright directly convert the game.

I went almost 5 hours in walking dead vr with only a bathroom break. Incredible game.

The Alien

Banned
funny how you don’t show how many people and who exactly have been asked. ☺
Exactly.

By this poll, more are interested in developing fornStadia than XBox. I'd like to see that put in action and then see how many of those devs stay in business.

quickwhips

Maybe theleastword will chime in on how they are copying sony again. I love me some drunk theleastword. Microsoft should just support the winner at the end.

Pallas

Gold Member

That’s interesting, will Series X be using WCOS at launch? They mention it’ll be used for gaming but wasn’t specific if it’ll be on the Series X or some future console beyond Series X.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
That’s interesting, will Series X be using WCOS at launch? They mention it’ll be used for gaming but wasn’t specific if it’ll be on the Series X or some future console beyond Series X.
Xbox Series X will use Gamecore in Windows Core OS. This will let them make one game which will work on both Series X and Windows 10.
Windows 10X for Surface Neo(Surface Hub 2 will also get Windows 10X) is also Windows Core OS. And also Windows 10 MR(Microsoft's VR platform).

Last edited:

Dane

I read about this OneCore thing and.... Sounds like a PC mode in the Xbox SX could be plausible.

LMJ

I am genuinely interested in people who saw PSVR as a dead end if their opinion is still the same with the SX...

DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! I remember we debated in regards to support for the PSVR, where your OP stated Spencer was wise to abandon VR...

Not trying to start anything, do you think the same way now that we "officially" know The SX's specs?

I am genuinely interested in people who saw PSVR as a dead end if their opinion is still the same with the SX...

DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! I remember we debated in regards to support for the PSVR, where your OP stated Spencer was wise to abandon VR...

Not trying to start anything, do you think the same way now that we "officially" know The SX's specs?
Yes, unless they can get unbridled PC level game support i.e. basically unfiltered; console VR of any kind is simply not worth it.

Microsoft however does have a better shot if they wanted to do it because their console is running Windows and Direct X. Theoretically it could just run the PC versions with PC headsets.

I think it would be cool to just partner up with Rift support, and set up a separate VR storefront. It really takes no significant effort or cost to just allow a 3rd party device to work, and take their cut from the storefront, and clearly the XSX is powerful enough to run VR.

Shin

Banned
Who knows, they seem to work with AR/VR and the likes in different section except the console.
Unrelated video most likely, but just saw it so posting cuz it's build with Microsoft and Valve.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

That’s Tony Starks mancave right there

INC

They're teaming up with HP and valve already

And ripping off the rift s

Still wanna specs still tho, could be a great mid tier headset

WMR is horrific tho, just stick to steam

Last edited:

INC

The upcoming hp headset is definitely not a mid tier one.

Well rumour have it they're trying to be around the rift s price (mid tier)

Why would valve make a high tier headset to compete with the index?

Its inside out tracking, cant see that being anything but mid tier

Let's see

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Well rumour have it they're trying to be around the rift s price (mid tier)

Why would valve make a high tier headset to compete with the index?

Its inside out tracking, cant see that being anything but mid tier

Let's see
Windows Mixed Reality has Steam VR support, does not mean Valve is involved with the hardware.

JCK75

What I think their best move is, is to just support existing hardware such as Windows Mixed reality and Steam VR so people have lots of choices, I'd love to be able to take my Vive downstairs and just use it with my Xbox (I even have a spare sets of lighthouses already so this works awesome for me).. I also have a Samsung Odyssey+ Windows Mixed reality set that I'd be glad to use that way as well.
I mean all they need to connect is HDMI and a USB port, so they could release an adapter that splits the HDMI signal and be done with it.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Windows Mixed Reality has Steam VR support, does not mean Valve is involved with the hardware.

Head strap, "headphones" and whole face interface of Reverb G2 looks like it's taken straight from Valve Index. Even materials on leaked images are identical to used by Valve.

Microsoft won't invest in VR and that's the main reason my money will go to Sony.
Microsoft has his own VR ecosytem with wast line of headsets and now we are waiting for presentation of second generation devices (Reverb G2 has 4 instead of 2 tracking cameras). How can you say, that they don't invest into VR ?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
VR doesn't have a viable and sustainable market not only from a hardware perspective but also in terms of developers. The install base is tiny, the hardware is expensive, the experiences are hard to elongate due to fatigue, not everyone can enjoy it without getting motion sickness, and most of the games which release for it are indie level development, bite sized experiences or shovelware.

Does VR have a place in gaming? Sure, but it's not worth its salt yet to bother with from an investment standpoint. Even if you look at something like PSVR it has completely stagnated, there's rarely anything new or worth getting and few bother porting their games to it.

Microsoft has more important things to worry about that will actually reach people.
I don't understand the critique of your post. I've had vr headsets since 2013 and they kinda suck and the software is shit once You get over novelty factor.
There are just few great titles but after alyx some of these lost all charm lol.
It's still worth getting even if for half life alone

Rudius

On console..but Microsoft now have 2 headset for VR + hololens
So you can chose pc or console for VR
I prefer consoles; should have specified that.

The Xbox Series X will be powerful and relatively much cheaper than an equivalent PC. If they support the new WMR headsets on Series X I will buy it (Flight Simulator, Forza and Halo would be awesome in VR :pie_raybans:); if not, will get just the PS5 + PSVR 2.

Top Bottom