• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X VR Support

Bankai

VR doesn't have a viable and sustainable market not only from a hardware perspective but also in terms of developers. The install base is tiny, the hardware is expensive, the experiences are hard to elongate due to fatigue, not everyone can enjoy it without getting motion sickness, and most of the games which release for it are indie level development, bite sized experiences or shovelware.

Does VR have a place in gaming? Sure, but it's not worth its salt yet to bother with from an investment standpoint. Even if you look at something like PSVR it has completely stagnated, there's rarely anything new or worth getting and few bother porting their games to it.

Microsoft has more important things to worry about that will actually reach people.

This is such bullsh*t. PSVR is the biggest VR has ever been. It is an expensive peripheral for sure; makes sense that the attachrate isn't enormously high. Doesn't mean it "isn't worth it from an investment standpoint". I think MS is making a big mistake not chipping in, I don't think they will be able to catch up (especially on the VR exclusives front, with bangers like Astrobot and Blood & Truth from Sony) after PSVR2 comes out in a couple of years.

And PSVR hasn't "completely stagnated", it's doing very well. Lots of great games come out all the time, you just gotta pay attention.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I prefer consoles; should have specified that.

The Xbox Series X will be powerful and relatively much cheaper than an equivalent PC. If they support the new WMR headsets on Series X I will buy it (Flight Simulator, Forza and Halo would be awesome in VR :pie_raybans:); if not, will get just the PS5 + PSVR 2.
Eventually Windows Mixed Reality headsets will also work Xbox. When Windows MR matures, Microsoft may even make their own headset. Rather then make a VR headset, Microsoft wants develop their own VR platform instead.

Bernkastel

This is such bullsh*t. PSVR is the biggest VR has ever been. It is an expensive peripheral for sure; makes sense that the attachrate isn't enormously high. Doesn't mean it "isn't worth it from an investment standpoint". I think MS is making a big mistake not chipping in, I don't think they will be able to catch up (especially on the VR exclusives front, with bangers like Astrobot and Blood & Truth from Sony) after PSVR2 comes out in a couple of years.

And PSVR hasn't "completely stagnated", it's doing very well. Lots of great games come out all the time, you just gotta pay attention.
Ignoring what that poster said, Microsoft has their own VR platform. They do invest a lot on Windows Mixed Reality, and it even supports Steam VR(Valve is also involved with Windows Mixed Reality). They may not have their own VR headset(yet), but saying Microsoft is not invested in VR is just completely wrong. The upcoming HP Reverb G2 will probably be the best place to play some VR games like Half Life Alyx.
As Windows Mixed Reality matures, Microsoft will also make their own Windows MR headset.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Ignoring what that poster said, Microsoft has their own VR platform. They do invest a lot on Windows Mixed Reality, and it even supports Steam VR(Valve is also involved with Windows Mixed Reality). They may not have their own VR headset(yet), but saying Microsoft is not invested in VR is just completely wrong. The upcoming HP Reverb G2 will probably be the best place to play some VR games like Half Life Alyx.
As Windows Mixed Reality matures, Microsoft will also make their own Windows MR headset.
The Xbox one was too underpowered for VR and X sold nowhere near enough. The install base for VR simply isn’t there on Xbox eco system. If Series X sells through the roof, they may rethink the strategy this gen.

That’s the sum and substance of it.

You havent been reading the thread have you ?

I have but imo having a compatible machine is better than going all in on VR. They don’t need to waste time and money developing anything in the VR space. They just need to accommodate the people that have adapted it.

Just enhance what you already have streaming Xbox games to VR devices, screen cast VR devices through Xbox. This can be done already, just make an all in one app that links Oculus and Xbox.

Mozza

Love this comment, basically Sony's VR is the biggest the format has ever been, but it's expensive and not many people that own a PS4 have bought it, not sure this sounds like a great thing to invest in. ;)

Bankai

Love this comment, basically Sony's VR is the biggest the format has ever been, but it's expensive and not many people that own a PS4 have bought it, not sure this sounds like a great thing to invest in. ;)

It's totally normal for a company to NOT expect a swift return on investments. There's more to it than that; Playstation offers something special in that regard, an USP. Don't underestimate the value in that (for every company on the planet). I for one choose PS5 partly because of the added value/possibilities of VR. Next-gen combined with VR can only mean fantastic experiences.

The amazing BC of XBox could be its USP, since Playstation doesn't do sh*t in that regard. I might pick up a Xbox SX later, just for that.

Bernkastel

I hope Oculus support coming to Windows Mixed Reality was part of the Mixer deal. It already supports Steam VR.

oldergamer

7gXjqqg.gif

So, no!
that's not what he says in that clip.

Gamerguy84

VR is great. PSVR is older tech compared to whats available but its no secret PSVR2 is being developed as we speak.

Its fun and gets used regularly in this household.

MS will eventually jump on board for console.

oldergamer

Microsoft backed AR. They even stated at their E3 conference that Vr was not the future, AR was.

Then they cancelled their AR headset because it didn't work.

Now they've got egg on their face again (Kinect, HD-DVD, AR)
Wrong, MS did not cancel their AR headset. We have a hololens at our office and I can assure you it works.

Don't see the appeal in VR anymore. Admittedly i have not used PSVR or any of the high end VR headset yet but i don't find myself needing to buy them or try them either.
I'm happy with just plain old couch gaming.

If you havnt tried it how can you even speak on the subject? Re7 in vr is probably my favorite experience this generation. Vr is ultimately the future like it or not it gonna continue to grow.

Ascend

After what happened with Kinect, Microsoft is not going to come with any 'fancy' motion tech anytime soon. They will keep working on it on the sidelines, and will only support it when they know it will not damage their Xbox brand.

The Alien

Banned
Would love VR on Series X. Doubt itll happen tho.
Eagerly await9ng specs on PSVR 2.0.

Microsoft's recent deal with Facebook (replacing Mixer) does make VR an even more interesting possibility now. 🤔

Romulus

If you havnt tried it how can you even speak on the subject? Re7 in vr is probably my favorite experience this generation. Vr is ultimately the future like it or not it gonna continue to grow.

It's the most next gen jump I've experienced since SNES to N64. RE7 was one of my first VR games.

Bernkastel

If they end up having the XSX support VR, I guarantee it will just support the Windows Mixed Reality headsets in some way.
Which is good. Two different VR platforms will cause fragmentation. Windows Mixed Reality with Steam VR and Oculus support is already god tier.

pasterpl

Naaah. Its good that you have Phil in managment who said before that nobody asked for VR on Xbox. Well, you got Facebook Streaming instead. Probably you asked for that

what do you mean by we have got facebook streaming? it is already confirmed that Xbox users will be able to choose any of the streaming platforms, no one is forcing fb on users...lol

pasterpl

Re. VR on consoles, I don’t think that now it is the right time for expensive add-ons like this. In addition, the tech need to improve, and real vr enthusiasts will select pc and one of the premium headsets.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Maybe Xbox community did, but not here on GAF or ERA. :D
Man you are so desperate to project your fantasies for convenience. Strange that you are the only one who seems to want it. No one cares about Facebook Gaming Integration and neither is it happening. We need a thousand more of you for that.

Kagey K

Banned
Like Beat Saber, Astro Bot, Ace Combat, Creed, Half Life. Blood & Truth, Dirt Rally and so on. Doesn't mean if PSVR is a low spec and isn't wireless, games aren't good. Astro is GOTY tier game.
Only game that was decent in that list was Beat Sabre and could be played with a Kinect if they chose.

That’s the sad thing. They are mostly Kinect games with a screen strapped to your face.

jimbojim

Banned
Only game that was decent in that list was Beat Sabre and could be played with a Kinect if they chose.

That’s the sad thing. They are mostly Kinect games with a screen strapped to your face.

Sadly.for you they aren't. That's why you'll never get VR support on Xbox

pasterpl

Sadly.for you they aren't. That's why you'll never get VR support on Xbox

I am an Xbox owner, I don’t want VR on console, I hope That ms will not offer sub quality VR experience (compared to pc) with low/mid quality headset like Sony did. If ms wants to rollout vr to Xbox it should support pc headsets, but vr shouldn’t be their focus. (Just to be clear, I own xbonex, PS4 pro, owned original oculus, psvr and now I do use the vive pro).

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned
That ms will not offer sub quality VR experience (compared to pc) with low/mid quality headset like Sony did

PS4 specs are what they are and PSVR was made with those specs in mind. PSVR is good for what was made. And PSVR build quality is a top tier. And great games exists for PSVR.

pasterpl

PS4 specs are what they are and PSVR was made with those specs in mind. PSVR is good for what was made. And PSVR build quality is a top tier. And great games exists for PSVR.

Quality and content wise, vr on pc is the way the industry should be going. Attachment rate of psvr to console is around 4.5%, making it a gimmick. Kinect for x360 had attachment rate to console of 12.5%. You cannot spin this, vr, while is cool tech is still a gimmick.

jimbojim

Banned
Quality and content wise, vr on pc is the way the industry should be going. Attachment rate of psvr to console is around 4.5%, making it a gimmick. Kinect for x360 had attachment rate to console of 12.5%. You cannot spin this, vr, while is cool tech is still a gimmick.

There are hundreds of millions of PCs and attachment rate of VR to PC is waaay worse. But it's not a gimmick because PC is a way to go, not consoles. Right. /S
Glad that Sony is pushing for VR.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
One of the best things they could announce for XSX is that you can connect one of the big VR headsets to it and that Half-Life Alyx was being ported over.

Sony apparently isn't launching their new PSVR unit any time soon, so it would be pretty hilarious if MS overstepped them with proper next-gen VR without even having to invest anything other than maybe helping to port the games over to the XSX and writing some drivers for whatever headset they'd make compatible.

JimiNutz

Banned
Multi VR brand support is what I would wish.

This is the best solution.
If that's not possible then strike a deal with whichever platform is most popular (other than PSVR lol)

MS don't need to waste any time or money on developing their own VR hardware (and I'm saying that as someone that likes/supports VR in general)

Top Bottom