• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X will be able to play Steam games. Mountains of salt required ITT

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well my main contention isn't whether or not it would "work" due to Microsoft's or Valve's intervention . I am just curious if the games would actually function correctly or if there'd be a ton of caveats. I mean, a PC owner can buy a Steam game and still end up in a situation where they need to patch it or otherwise do some extra stuff to get it running on their system. Can we expect the XsX to fare any better? Seems like the sort of promise that looks really good during marketing and trade shows but ends up being a complete circus when it comes to implementation.
I guess I just assumed that (if this were true) it would be an XCloud streaming scenario rather than a "runs natively on SeX hardware" scenario. I know that Valve has been working on standing up an XCloud-like service, perhaps this rumor mill is just that SeX can work as a client to that initiative.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I guess I just assumed that (if this were true) it would be an XCloud streaming scenario rather than a "runs natively on SeX hardware" scenario. I know that Valve has been working on standing up an XCloud-like service, perhaps this rumor mill is just that SeX can work as a client to that initiative.
Good insight, I forgot that streaming services could potentially be thrown into the mix to resolve any compatibility concerns (i.e it would be a streaming box and not running them natively).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If this was true, i'd get a Series X instead of upgrading my PC. I cant see how its true though, unless its just Windows 10 games. I just cant see how older PC games would work.
If XSX is indeed running on zen and RDNA, the x86 nature wouldn't be crazy difficult to adapt. It would take time though for sure.

GymWolf

ClosedFixedArcherfish-size_restricted.gif

Moses85

Heard every Xbox One Series X will be shipped with a 500 USD Voucher Card for Steam, Epic Store, PSN and E-Shop.

Last edited:

Three

And give steam that 30% cut to sell software on their designed platform.

How are they going to make money then?

This must be the dumbest fucking shit i heard in a long time.
Depends on the business plan. If they want to sell at a profit on the hardware then it may happen.

theclaw135

Banned
When you think about it... it's more than a little strange the hardware has become so similar to PC, with nothing to show for it.

JLB

Banned
Personally I don't know why you guys would want to have to deal with a desk & chair, mouse and keyboard, drivers, hackers, viruses, etc, etc.

I think it's best for you all that this doesn't happen. Who knows the horrors that await console gamers if the PC gaming gates of hell open.

It would still be a walled garden, just a bit more open and with beautiful views.

Could this be part of the reason why we're seeing more Microsoft releases on Steam now with Gears 5 and the Master Chief Collection? Is Microsoft working up a partnership with Steam? I might have to get an Xbox Series X if this pans out, it would be the most convenient way for big screen gaming for my PC games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Been thinking for awhile now that Series X is actually a PC, as well as a console.

The reality is that these new AMD Apu's are more than capable of providing a better Windows experience than a substantial percentage of all PC's in use daily.

Considering MS work in O/S virtualization why shouldn't a next gen Xbox also double as Windows 10 mediacenter PC? Its certainly in line with their overall transition to being a service based corporation.

Won't be cheap though, I'd expect a $699 minimum price-tag if they go in that direction.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Would it be an Xbox that can play Steam games or would it really be a PC that can play Xbox games? Think about it. Xbox's new killer app, MS Office, hahahahaha.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
Would be a fantastic feature. I am not a heavy PC gamer but have a decent library on Steam that I would be 100x more likely to play if I could access it on my Xbox.

If they add a straight Windows mode I can see this being possible. Otherwise they would have to ensure backward compatability with games that were never even intended to be played on a console.

That would be a huge boost for the casual gamer. Still feel that most PC Gamers would still stick with PC unless they're lazy and would want the mild convenience every now and again. Hope its true.
Not being into PC's doesnt make you a casual gamer. Fucking hate the time wasted on getting shit to work perfectly all the time.

GreatnessRD

Not being into PC's doesnt make you a casual gamer. Fucking hate the time wasted on getting shit to work perfectly all the time.
Fair point and I can see how you took it that way. I just meant for those in your predicament that don't want to fool with the drivers, settings, etc. I understand you can be a hardcore gamer on console, just poor wording, lol.

Bkdk

So it will support modding as well then, great stuff. For a budget gaming PC this is the best ever.12 tflops is pretty good entry point. It will crush Sony in terms of backwards compatibility plus modding support to enhance these older games even further. While I’ll be upgrading to rtx3080 so I won’t buy this, this is essential to every gamer to want to get into pc gaming and those who don’t wanna spend too much for high end pc.

DS_Joost

I honestly believe if it were true (which it isn't) it would still draw zip zero zilch more people there.

Anyone remember Steam boxes? Everybody THOUGHT they wanted one... Until they didn't...

llien

And give steam that 30% cut to sell software on their designed platform.

How are they going to make money then?
By having the likes of me actually buy XSeX.
Exclusives is why I will pick up PS5 over MS console and there is no perf gap to close it.

Having ability to use it as a generic gaming machine changes the stack altogether.

I doubt it's true, though, at least from the perspective of securing console, it looks very problematic.

Last edited:
I call BS. This makes no sense for them. They would be subsidising a gaming PC for Steam and Epic then . . .

i mean i personally know tons of people interested in PC games that arent willing to shell out the $1,000-$2,000 to build one + buy a monitor and all the stuff needed.

i think its a huge selling point to a lot of people—the possibility of playing pc games AND console games on one $400-$500 purchase

Top Bottom