• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S 1TB expansion card to cost $220, suggests leak

Are you willing to pay that much for the 1TB expansion card?

• YES, INDEED, SURE!

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Oh, hell NO!

Votes: 16 94.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
mod edit: Closed at ops gracious request

Microsoft's proprietary storage expansion for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S could be costly, even if not a huge surprise given the SSD technology inside.

The move means next-generation storage can't be expanded through traditional SSDs, requiring this Seagate-branded cartridge to add to your onboard storage, instead. However, NVMe PCIe 4.0 technology doesn't come cheap, with an alleged GameStop leak (via Reddit) now suggests a $219.99 RRP on the 1TB Xbox Storage Expansion Card.

The premium price tag wouldn't be a huge surprise — we previously predicted around $200 back in April 2020. The high cost comes with the demanded performance, and as a proprietary solution, Microsoft and Seagate are free to charge as desired for that opportunity. But it's a word of warning, especially for Xbox Series S and its 512GB storage, likely to cost near to a secondary console to upgrade the out-of-box capacity.

Q: If true, are you willing to pay that much for the a 1TB expansion card? Or you would rather delete/install from a disc or download from the store for the digital copies?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Allandor

How many threads do you want to open for this topic.

We already discussed this when the "leak" happend. There is nothing official and the leak seems more or less just to be a placeholder.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

We already discussed this when the "leak" happend. There is nothing official and the leak seems more or less just to be a placeholder.

Ok, thanks. Will request a thread deletion.

sinnergy

Yes , very cheap, if consoles were 600 as rumored , this is only 100 more in total . And you have 2 TB , 2 TB. In total !

That’s a lot of space.

Last edited:
Dr. Smith
"Oh the Pain, Oh the Pain"
I'll take one please

I just bought a 5TB old school USB harddrive from BestBuy yesterday. I hope that will keep me for awhile.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Certainly seems odd to post a 12 day old article. Wonder if the same would've been done if the news was positive. I somehow doubt it.

If this price is correct then one can simply use a normal external HDD to store all downloaded games and swap between drives as necessary.

I have a 4TB external and do this with my One X. Moving games is way faster than downloading them.

Rob_27

You might as well release the games on 100GB cards.

Yea i bought a WD 12TB Elements drive (£160) at the time to store all my OG Xbox, 360, One games on so i can plug it back in when i get the new X. I can store any games on that while i'm not using them. still have 5TB left.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
No way I'm buying. I'll just delete/add as usual until these get cheaper.

It was the same story with 360. Never bought their external proprietary HDD. Later I found a hack that allowed me to use a normal HDD and it worked great.

mod edit: Closed at ops gracious request

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom