• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox signs 10 year agreement with NVIDIA to bring Xbox pc+ Activision Blizzard PC games to GeForce NOW

H . R . 2

Nowhere in the discussion was 'visual parity' mentioned.
optimisation is a serious issue
so is content parity, which necessitates gameplay parity which will in turn dictate how game is developed across all the platforms [especially Series S and Nintendo].
future CODs and their iterations are expected to innovate just as they did with WZ which was a huge technical undertaking.
it will not always be possible to do so with the hardware limitations that Nintendo's consoles and the Series S are known for
the support might go on for a few years but it will eventually reach a point where it will either hurt the visuals or hold back innovative/cutting-edge features. unless they go all in on the cloud

All they would do is stream them from xcloud.
I wasn't talking about GF Now.
but Nintendo

Last edited:

baphomet

optimisation is a serious issue
so is content parity, which necessitates gameplay parity which will in turn dictate how game is developed across all the platforms [especially Series S and Nintendo].
future CODs and their iterations are expected to innovate just as they did with WZ which was a huge technical undertaking.
it will not always be possible to do so with the hardware limitations that Nintendo's consoles and the Series S are known for
the support might go on for a few years but it will eventually reach a point where it will either hurt the visuals or hold back innovative/cutting-edge features. unless they go all in on the cloud

I wasn't talking about GF Now.
but Nintendo

I know, their "content parity" would be streaming the game to switch from xcloud.

Last edited:

Droxcy

I like that they are 10 year agreements.. make them 20 or 30 years, I don't see a difference

Just healthy business. 10 years is a good time frame to collect data to see if the deal is effective and worth it for both parties then after that you can restructure and make it better or back out.

This is a win for gamers at the end of the day and Sony is truly greedy with their titles and always have been, Microsoft has as well but they've bit the bullet a lot quicker.

DaGwaphics

Nvidia does have their own service, the primary overlay is and will always be the nvidia one.

You also get access to a secondary overlay which always depends on where you own the game. So if you own the game on Steam you'll get the steam one, epic = epic overlay and if its via xbox then the Xbox overlay might be available.

That isn't really a "service" though. The matchmaking and licensing all happens via the standard back-end services associated with Steam, Epic, or whatever store they have setup. Nvidia just has a control overlay over the VM. The service does not require custom games files, it just runs the files associated with whichever store is in use. Before the publishers made them stop, you could literally run anything from steam on there and even see the standard steam download progression and all that. It's a Windows based PC in the cloud with a custom UI, nothing more, nothing less.

Ozriel

M$FT
Its all BS.. CoD won't even be a thing in 10 years, so I don't understand why they don't give Sony a "forever" deal and call it

You really think Sony won’t oppose the deal even if they were offered a ‘forever’ deal? 😂

Sony isn’t interested in a stronger, more competitive Xbox. That’s pretty much it. They don’t want a more attractive Gamepass and XCloud.

10 years is a pretty long time. It’ll cross over into year 2 or 3 of the next console cycle so they’re pretty much covered on that front. At the same time, they’ve got multiple GaaS games in development aimed at competing with COD, with simultaneous release on console and PC.

Can’t fault them for this, to be clear. It’s business…and given how extremely important PlayStation division is to Sony, they probably need to be as cut-throat as possible.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I see a lot of people thinking the acquisition is pretty much a done deal now. I'm not too sure that's the case. I think the chances are somewhat better today, but it's hardly a sure thing.

BeardGawd

Banned
This is actually really smart. It might give them another avenue to sell a PC GP sub to (assuming they eventually allow the Xbox app to run on there). Even though they have their own offering, I can see users with Steam and Epic libraries using the service rather than going GPU and using MS's own service.
That would be too good to be true. So $10 for the PC Game Pass + ($5?) for Geforce Now? So essentially for the same price as Game Pass Ultimate ($15) you get access to superior versions of the games via highend GPUs plus a supppsedly superior streaming service? That would be kinda crazy but maybe the partnership could evolve into something like this.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That would be too good to be true. So $10 for the PC Game Pass + ($5?) for Geforce Now? So essentially for the same price as Game Pass Ultimate ($15) you get access to superior versions of the games via highend GPUs plus a supppsedly superior streaming service? That would be kinda crazy but maybe the partnership could evolve into something like this.

I mean who knows, but Geforce already grants access to EA Play games that are on the supported list, you just have to add them to your library. It's not like it is outside the realm of possibility. Would be limited to just games that were supported by Geforce so the first-party and any of the third-party that happen to supported. It wouldn't be as good as GPU or having a GP sub on PC or Xbox, but if you happen to have a GP sub already (PC or Ultimate) and sometimes game on Geforce it could be a nice bonus.

Last edited:

SomeGit

Geforce Now is 9,99 a month (or 49,99 for 6 months) for the 1080p plan with a 3060.
4.99 was the founders only price, you had to have it when it was available and you only get high end GPUs in the 4K plan.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Those are well worth the price

Drake Reaction GIF by DJ Khaled

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There's a reason why Nvidia requires permission to put games up on GeForce Now.

Same way Microsoft can't put everyone's games on XCloud and go "its just an Xbox in the cloud, allowing people to play the games they already own"

Well sure, some developers didn’t agree to letting players play their games via Cloud, and wanted their games removed from the service.
They expect more money for it.

BeardGawd

Banned
Geforce Now is 9,99 a month (or 49,99 for 6 months) for the 1080p plan with a 3060.
4.99 was the founders only price, you had to have it when it was available and you only get high end GPUs in the 4K plan.
Interesting... well it would kinda makes sense for MS to do it then. Gain subs from those that woukd be on Geforce Now anyway.

MS are doing this because of the push back. Some of you can't be this dense. Their original plan was exclusivity but that had to be thrown out, rightfully so, due to competitors: (including Sony) pushing back on the deal.
It's really only Sony that is majorly against the deal, and they're only against it because it would hurt their dominance in the market, so their objection "should be" ignored if the regulators truly make their judgment on whether or not it would negatively impact consumers

DaGwaphics

MS are doing this because of the push back. Some of you can't be this dense. Their original plan was exclusivity but that had to be thrown out, rightfully so, due to competitors: (including Sony) pushing back on the deal.

They literally said CoD wasn't going exclusive the day they announced the deal, before any of the regulators said anything. I'm not sure how that could be misconstrued as them doubling back on anything.

Fredrik

Is that supposed to be a long time?
Felt like yesterday.
If they really just want ABK and COD then why not say ABK games will be fully multiplat forever?

The 10 year limit clearly show the longterm plan. And already during those 10 years they’ll have all the marketing rights and can control where people play the games with all kinds of extras that comes from being a platform holder.

- Buy COD on Xbox, get the PC version for free, subscribe to Gamepass, get COD for free, all you need to pay for is expansions, Xbox is always lead platform with the best optimization. Etc.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wow, didn't expect thst one, that's a huge boost for geforce now. But aren't they still missing a lot of other key developers? (This is what prevented me from.even trying out the newest tier, it was missing too many important games to be considered a complete platform......)

geary

I have doubts that games you have access through GPU subscription will be streamble on GForce Now. Only those you have purchased on MS Store.

Lasha

This deal is probably the killing blow. The CMA's objection centered around the possibility of Microsoft using Activision to fuck over other cloud services. Signing a ten year deal with NVIDIA actually guarantees choice in both cloud platform and ownership model for gamers. It also helps NVIDIA and xcloud to compete on their merits as streaming platforms. It's a smart deal.

hlm666

This is basically what nvidia were after, MS don't really care seeing they are gonna sell you a full price copy somewhere. I don't think GFN and GP are really targetting the same audience.

Ozriel

M$FT
I know, their "content parity" would be streaming the game to switch from xcloud.

Switch? In 10 years time?

Then you’ll have to accept some software incompatibility. Or use XCloud…Valve and MS worked to make the service optimized for SteamOS.

Felt like yesterday.
If they really just want ABK and COD then why not say ABK games will be fully multiplat forever?

Sony would still have opposed the deal, and it wouldn’t make business sense to sign a perpetual deal with the gaming market in such a dynamic state.

The 10 year limit clearly show the longterm plan. And already during those 10 years they’ll have all the marketing rights and can control where people play the games with all kinds of extras that comes from being a platform holder.

A lot of people will continue paying for the games on their preferred platform. You see this with Steam gamers happily paying cash to play Xbox games vs subscribing for PC GP.
How many people feel ‘controlled’ to play Plague’s tale and Atomic Heart on Xbox/Gamepass? Or the millions paying $70 a year for MLB The Show on PlayStation vs buying an Xbox.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Nvidia scared that they're incessant greed will lead to no one, or at least not enough people, being able to afford their GPUs....

Fredrik

Switch? In 10 years time?

Then you’ll have to accept some software incompatibility. Or use XCloud…Valve and MS worked to make the service optimized for SteamOS.

Sony would still have opposed the deal, and it wouldn’t make business sense to sign a perpetual deal with the gaming market in such a dynamic state.

A lot of people will continue paying for the games on their preferred platform. You see this with Steam gamers happily paying cash to play Xbox games vs subscribing for PC GP.
How many people feel ‘controlled’ to play Plague’s tale and Atomic Heart on Xbox/Gamepass? Or the millions paying $70 a year for MLB The Show on PlayStation vs buying an Xbox.
Yeah I know I just see through their sneaky plan here. Regulators will too I think.
Either way, if it gets denied they’ll probably buy something else so it should still result in more games on Gamepass. Hopefully they don’t rip the Nintendo deal, more AAA games on Nintendo consoles is needed badly, this might be the best thing coming out of that deal tbh, could stretch over 2 generations if they end the Switch soon.

H . R . 2

GAMESRADAR:

Microsoft says Call of Duty will run like you "would expect" on Switch, which isn't encouraging​

Asked about how games like Call of Duty would run on Switch or Nvidia's GeForce Now streaming service, Microsoft president Brad Smith noted that he's
"not the right person to dive into the architecture of each platform." But Smith says "we will ensure our games work exactly the way people would expect," to a high technical standard.

I'm not sure Microsoft should be using words like "expect" here, because I don't think anybody expects a particularly good Call of Duty experience on a platform like the current Switch.
Microsoft said earlier today that CoD would be hitting Nintendo platforms the same day as Xbox "with full feature and content parity."
Given how many games less technically demanding than CoD have hit Switch in horribly compromised states, it's tough to imagine having a good experience with, say, Warzone 2 on the hybrid handheld.

Lasha

GAMESRADAR:

Microsoft says Call of Duty will run like you "would expect" on Switch, which isn't encouraging​

Asked about how games like Call of Duty would run on Switch or Nvidia's GeForce Now streaming service, Microsoft president Brad Smith noted that he's
"not the right person to dive into the architecture of each platform." But Smith says "we will ensure our games work exactly the way people would expect," to a high technical standard.

I'm not sure Microsoft should be using words like "expect" here, because I don't think anybody expects a particularly good Call of Duty experience on a platform like the current Switch.
Microsoft said earlier today that CoD would be hitting Nintendo platforms the same day as Xbox "with full feature and content parity."
Given how many games less technically demanding than CoD have hit Switch in horribly compromised states, it's tough to imagine having a good experience with, say, Warzone 2 on the hybrid handheld.
That editorialization is so bizarre. Games journalism has low standards.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah I know I just see through their sneaky plan here. Regulators will too I think.
Either way, if it gets denied they’ll probably buy something else so it should still result in more games on Gamepass. Hopefully they don’t rip the Nintendo deal, more AAA games on Nintendo consoles is needed badly, this might be the best thing coming out of that deal tbh, could stretch over 2 generations if they end the Switch soon.

The ‘Nintendo deal’ is only about Call of Duty. Microsoft isn’t porting their AAA exclusives to Nintendo’s consoles.

GAMESRADAR:

We’ll have a next gen Nintendo console by latest holiday 2024, and GeForce Now PCs are windows PCs with more power than 95% of PC gamers.

Why’s this journalist writing nonsense? ‘As you’d expect’ is perfectly reasonable language…

Moses85

Microsoft is not doing this out of charity but to seal the deal. If the competitors had not boycotted the deal, it would never have developed this way.

The purchase makes less and less sense for the Xbox brand.

Well, CoD continues to appear for PC and PS platforms, Nintendo hasn't had a CoD since 2013, why should Nintendo even care about the deal?

Top Bottom