• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Smart Delivery Turned Out To Be A Pretty Big Deal

sainraja

Read my post again, no they don't; the version of the app in the store is one version and it's compatible with your device or it isn't, this is how apps are deployed and is the reason why they often break compatibilty with a major update to the operating system.
Console games require different SDKs for deploying the game, so the marketplace will simply segregate content based on the hardware.
Smart delivery makes this a behind the scenes operation so you can never have the wrong version, this is completely incomparable to smartphone appstores, there's only every one version there.
In other words, it's impossible for them to have similar processes, because they literally aren't doing the same thing, because even if your phone is "underpowered", all the store does is check if you have the right OS and region, you'd still be able to run a game on a low end phone, even if it will run like shit at ~10fps; because there isn't a version made specifically for other specs, the app is either "compatible" or it isn't, because there's always only one global version of it deployed.

Smart delivery will then overwrite files where needed, like the update for avengers was 106.9gb, but it didn't require that. It only required 40gb since the rest of the files were overwritten, this is a pretty big deal when dealing with several different SDKs; normally you'd have to manually download the other version.

No, it isn't, that's just the "record" of what you own/have access to. This "record" also exists on xbox and is how you transfer from an xb1 to a series x|s, and yes that's similar to smartphones, but it has nothing to do with smart delivery; smart delivery only ensures you have the right version of what's in your "record", and this is important because of the SDK differences, the versions are made with different specs in mind.
Okay fine. You are right. I think my point completely went past you but it's okay. I'm going to move on.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Okay fine. You are right. I think my point completely went past you but it's okay. I'm going to move on.
Not really, your point was a point of convenience, and just because the process seems as straight forward as it is on smartphones, you concluded "they are doing the same thing, but simply aren't branding it".
The reality however is that there's a bunch of work needed for this to actually be as "straight forward" as it is when dealing with different SDKs, apple/google are not doing this work, there's no different SDKs to deal with, there's no "genshin impact low end xiaomi edition", it either works on your phone or doesn't (or runs like garbage).

So while I can agree simply on the point of superficial end user convenience, but saying smartphones have been doing this already is just straight up false.

Concern

Not really, your point was a point of convenience, and just because the process seems as straight forward as it is on smartphones, you concluded "they are doing the same thing, but simply aren't branding it".
The reality however is that there's a bunch of work needed for this to actually be as "straight forward" as it is when dealing with different SDKs, apple/google are not doing this work, there's no different SDKs to deal with, there's no "genshin impact low end xiaomi edition", it either works on your phone or doesn't (or runs like garbage).

So while I can agree simply on the point of superficial end user convenience, but saying smartphones have been doing this already is just straight up false.

These guys will go to any extent just to downplay Microsoft's efforts. How did we even get to this being about smartphones. What a joke lol.

I should just start claiming I have both consoles already just so I can shit on one like these fanboys been doing.

sainraja

What you are calling superficial is exactly what is making an impact on people, the reason this thread even exists.

sainraja

...what? Are you arguing something else now?

The only point that matter is that, no, smartphones have not been doing this already.

You referred to 'end user convenience' as superficial. That's an interesting choice of words for the only thing that does matter - not how it's done, why it's done.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
You referred to 'end user convenience' as superficial. That's an interesting choice of words for the only thing that does matter - not how it's done, why it's done.
....seriously what are you doing? Why are you latching on to a word that only means "on the surface"?

GHG

It seems like things on PS5 can be somewhat convoluted and a hassle. Save games from PS4 to PS5, Getting the PS5 version of a cross gen game, all the issues some people had/have with rest mode, and no additional storage solution of any kind for PS5 games. People opening the case to apply thermal paste, tinker with noisy fans or try to fix too much coil whine. PC gaming for all the complaints that it's not as simple consoles seems less complicated.

Like @Kagey K said with Series X/S you turn it on, it works. Simple, no hassle; I like that.

Thermal paste you say?

giphy.gif

You sure about that?

DavidGzz

I'm glad the PS5 is just an exclusives machine or I would have been pissed. I only had to restart 3 games that I hadn't finished. It's dumb that saves are tied to PS+

Microsoft/Xbox are almost always better with software in the long run, it's what they do. The UX and Q&A experience of the Xbox Series of consoles has been top shelf. It started the moment you turned your Xbox on and paired an app to manage everything. It continues with quick resume, smart delivery, Xbox app and Gamepass Ultimate across devices. Honestly I couldn't go back without this wonderful platform Xbox has curated this gen already. I'm playing a wider variety of games with family and friends while also reinvigorating my love of PC gaming too.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Someone needs to make a list of all the ways that the PS5 is behind the XSX (not counting hardware weaknesses).

It would help those of us who haven't bought either console yet.

Last edited:

Concern

Xbox is clearly working harder than Sony in many areas to impress gamers and this is just another example. Their software/hardware/engineering team is incredibly talented. Now, they just need high quality exclusives, and this will be a very interesting generation.

Best thing that happened to ms was the disaster that was the xbox one. Just like the disaster that was the Ps3 was for Sony.

Blade2.0

Xbox doesn’t differentiate cloud and local storage. It’s the same thing. Go into manage software for any game and you’ll find all of your saves for that game. It will allow you to delete the cloud save though, or the local one if you choose to.
thanks a lot, i didn't know this.

Meh. Each have their own positives and negatives. Won't make a bit of difference when we're done with PS4/XBO versions of games, most likely sometime next year.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Best thing that happened to ms was the disaster that was the xbox one. Just like the disaster that was the Ps3 was for Sony.
Yes, arrogance tends to cycle in the game industry. Wii —-> Wii U, PS2 —->PS3, 360 —> Xbox One. If history keeps repeating itself, Sony is set to make any number of fucks up this generation. Or maybe the cycle will be broken and we will all have 3 companies at the top of their craft.

Godfavor

Meh. Each have their own positives and negatives. Won't make a bit of difference when we're done with PS4/XBO versions of games, most likely sometime next year.

Backwards compatibility games will still be getting upgraded and Smart delivery will choose the right version for your Series X|S.

JackMcGunns

Everyone had 2 on the day it released. Call it FUD because you think Sony's named is being besmirched all you want, but go ahead and read the upgrade threads on Reddit from the day it released. People like me on PS5 were greeted with two downloads that day. Both over 70gb. And that was also the day I learned how to tell the difference between the PS4 version of a game and the PS5 version (on the main UI Sony marks PS4 games with 'PS4' near the game icon. I know corporation fanboys can't comprehend that some of us love gaming more than the corporations who make the consoles, but we exist, and we have no problem pointing out areas where one console is doing something better than the others. When it comes to game upgrades, MS is kicking the living shit out of Sony.

SSfox SSfox

Top Bottom