• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Smash bros. - Is it even possible?

Jubenhimer

Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. shook up the entire crossover and fighting game realms when it was introduced in 1999. Not only did it finally allow Nintendo's iconic characters to be pitted against each-other, but it also offered a unique twist on the fighting game genre that even those who don't even like Fighting games can enjoy and understand. 13 years later, Sony Computer Entertainment, who had already amassed respectable roster of fan-favorite characters in its own right through the PlayStation brand, threw their hat into the ring with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. While the execution and handling of the game left a lot to be desired, the fact that Sony was able to attempt such a thing showed that Nintendo isn't the only Platform holder with a line of beloved characters.

And then there's Microsoft. Xbox Game Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Microsoft Corporation, doesn't have the same quantity or recognizably of mascots and characters that Nintendo or even Sony do. There's Master Chief, Marcus Phoenix, Banjo and.... Nope, that's it. Granted, a large part of this is due to the risk-averse nature that Xbox Game Studios has had for the last 10 years or so, resulting in their general struggle to creating successful or at least cult-favorite new IP for Xbox systems, but its very difficult for me to imagine an Xbox Crossover game even being a thought.

That said, let's imagine that Xbox Studios got its act together, and managed to crank out a roster at least as beloved as its closest competitor, Sony Interactive, what would their crossover game be like? Well I already know what it wouldn't be like, a Fighting game, let alone a Smash Bros. Clone. With the exception of the new Killer Instinct game, Xbox Game Studios has no real experience with the Fighting game genre. Granted Nintendo didn't either, but Massahiro Sakurai did (He was a competitive Street Fighter II player and big KoF fan at the time), and his team at HAL Laboratory was able to craft a fighting game that distinguished itself from the competition. And even if Xbox went the Smash Bros. route, it wouldn't escape the comparisons and eyerolls from detractors, and if they try to make it different from Smash, then it just wouldn't be nearly as fun or interesting as NIntendo's offering. Sony learned this the hard way when making PSABR.

So rather than a Crossover Fighting game, I think what Xbox should do instead, is a crossover team-based hero game. Similar to Overwatch, or even their own upcoming Bleeding Edge. Have a variety of Xbox Characters battle in a 4v4 match of capture points. That way, Microsoft can truly distinguish themselves, while also playing to their main strength, which has always been Online Multiplayer.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Idk I just cant picture this, I just don't know how this abomination would pan out but hey it could turn out to be good, you never know.

Last edited:
So rather than a Crossover Fighting game, I think what Xbox should do instead, is a crossover team-based hero game. Similar to Overwatch, or even their own upcoming Bleeding Edge. Have a variety of Xbox Characters battle in a 4v4 match of capture points. That way, Microsoft can truly distinguish themselves, while also playing to their main strength, which has always been Online Multiplayer.

This. A non realistic overwatch-like shooter where you can choose between Halo and gears cast to fshoot against each other. Throw in there iconic xbox characters like Alan Wake or Lara Croft and MS owned ips like conker. That would make a good roster of at least 20 well known characters.

Not only that but in the case they want to go for it and for it to be a success they need to make the game a celebration of the xbox history just like Nintendo's Smash Brothers. I mean of course u dont want to have a car as a playable character but a weapon themed as the iconic orange Mclaren P1 of Forza 5 or a stage based on Fable's Albion would be really appreciated by long time fans.

Thurible

Yeah but it's unlikely. Good microsoft characters could include master chief, banjo, conker, blinx, the battletoads, and marcus.

Kagey K

Banned
If MS wanted to do a mascot game of any kind, they have plenty of games and characters to choose from, as well as a bunch of 3rd party partners that would likely be on board.

The question is do they want to? And what could it bring to the table that hasn’t been done?

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Killer Instinct: Xbox All-Stars is kind of a thing already:

67Wlkq6.jpg

6fnxPvo.jpg

jwAekdQ.jpg

Of course, you could add Master Chief (remember the Spartan from DoA?):
73544595_587d6cf26e_o.jpg

A few suggestions to rounding out the cast:
fc2e517d57bc300a6febe3ad9d76720b.jpg

latest

Kameo w/ rebooted artwork for her/monster design:
Kameo.jpg

Joanna Dark with rebooted art design and all sorts of future tech and gadgets. Maybe her buddy the alien Elvis pops in for a teg team move:
f56ac3f2c666da05b3ecdd87328f7708.jpg

VAL0R

Banned
You could easily have a fighting game with just Halo characters and have a great and diverse cast.

Shaqazooloo

The roster would consist of Master Chief, Banjo, Conker and maybe Battle Toads, possibly the avatar character? They ain't got nobody for a game like that.

GymWolf

I'm gonna be furious if they don't include the iconic cast of brute force in this hipothetical project.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Of course it's possible, but the question is: possible to be good? Sony already answer: no

Even Nintendo struggles to make Smash - everyone knows that the single player is not that great, and Sakurai is working his ass off to turn Ultimate in, well, the ultimate Smash game

VAL0R

Banned
The roster would consist of Master Chief, Banjo, Conker and maybe Battle Toads, possibly the avatar character? They ain't got nobody for a game like that.

If you are going to go SMASH colorful/playful style:
Minecraft Steve
Ori
Cuphead
Raz from Psychonauts
Jet Force Gemini twins
Kameo

Last edited:
Top Bottom