• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Store games start showing up on the Windows Store ahead of the merger

MCD

GHSLhzi.png

f68Iwp6.png

With the Anniversary Update, Microsoft will allow developers to release Universal Windows Apps for the Xbox One. Therefore, the company will be merging the Xbox and the Windows Store soon. Now, ahead of the merger, several apps and games from the Xbox Store are already showing up on the Windows Store, reports OneTile.

Games such as Overwatch Beta, Metro Redux Bundle, and even Halo: The Master Chief Collection Digital are already on the Windows Store. Additionally, apps like EA Access Vault are also up on the Windows Store. Of course, these games and apps are hidden from the public, so you won’t be able to find these on the Windows Store just yet.

Via: http://mspoweruser.com/xbox-store-games-start-showing-windows-store-ahead-merger/

Original source: http://onetile.ru/v-windows-store-nachali-pronikat-igry-i-prilozheniya-ot-xbox-one/

Lazaro

Just saw this. It's funny as the Xbox One since the NXOE update could view Xbox Enabled Windows titles since its release, you can even pin XBL enabled Windows games to the Xbox dashboard.

Hopefully we see more Xbox IP's just like Forza come to the Windows Store.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Does that mean the Halo collection is coming to Windows 10 then?

I hope it does and also Sunset Overdrive. Then I'll have zero reason to still want an Xbox One.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Does that mean the Halo collection is coming to Windows 10 then?

If it doesn't, they are doing a great job of making it sound like it does. "Install this game in up to ten Windows 10 devices" sounds like you'll be able to install it on PC... unless the Xbox One is now outright called a "Windows 10 device".

PG2G

I think it'll be kinda confusing to people if they search the store on PC and find games that are only compatible with Xbox. I'm assuming that's what we're seeing, or are these games PC compatible?

If Halo MCC is coming out on PC, then please make sure that the matchmaking is FLAWLESS now. Oh, and cross play would be dope too because the player base took a huge hit

Trago

If Halo MCC is coming out on PC, then please make sure that the matchmaking is FLAWLESS now. Oh, and cross play would be dope too because the player base took a huge hit

Don't know if cross play would be a think since k&m players would be at an advantage.

Don't know if cross play would be a think since k&m players would be at an advantage.

I think Phil Spencer said that Xbox players will always be able to play only against Xbox players to avoid such issues if they'd like to when talking about the crossplay stuff.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I hope it does and also Sunset Overdrive. Then I'll have zero reason to still want an Xbox One.

Yea same here. If all the exclusives end up on Windows...I'll just get a 360 for the 360 backlog I have. A few things that kept me interested in XBO were exclusives and B/C.

Even the cable box features isnt enticing anymore now that Sony is doing Vue.

LordRaptor

If - publisher permitting - the entire Xbox One catalogue just automagically appears and runs on Windows 10, I'd have to assume there is some sort of HLE going on, as with 360 BC

e: Actually, would this be Blizzards first appearance on a PC digital store that isn't their own? Interesting.

Trago

If - publisher permitting - the entire Xbox One catalogue just automagically appears and runs on Windows 10, I'd have to assume there is some sort of HLE going on, as with 360 BC

e: Actually, would this be Blizzards first appearance on a PC digital store that isn't their own? Interesting.

Was thinking this. Maybe because it's linked with Xbox One.

jbug617

Banned
My guess you would be able to purchase the game on PC in the Windows Store and play it through Xbox streaming with the Xbox app

Somehow I still think this is just "buy it conveniently on your PC, play it later on your Xbox One".

Sunset Overdrive on PC would be amazing though.

singhr1

Do people not understand that this is the store being prepped to be loaded onto the Xbox One and not the other way around?

Yes, you'll be able to see these games on Windows 10 but it'll be just to purchase them and then tell you "This app cannot run on this device" like it already does today with incompatible hardware.

There is no porting/emulating of Xbox One games to Windows 10. Nobody (relatively) has the 8 GB+ of VRAM to run Xbox One emulation + Xbox One games

Like why the hell would Blizzard sell a version of Overwatch that doesn't use their Blizzard.net launcher?

Vinland

Banned
Halo on PC is like a lost dream coming true again.

Also, the prospect of a 1080p+ Sunset Overdrive would make me double dip.

Do people not understand that this is the store being prepped to be loaded onto the Xbox One and not the other way around?

Yes, you'll be able to see these games on Windows 10 but it'll be just to purchase them and then tell you "This app cannot run on this device" like it already does today with incompatible hardware.

There is no porting/emulating of Xbox One games to Windows 10. Nobody (relatively) has the 8 GB+ of VRAM to run Xbox One emulation + Xbox One games

Like why the hell would Blizzard sell a version of Overwatch that doesn't use their Blizzard.net launcher?

Normally, I'd agree with you, but it does say 'Install this game on up to ten Windows 10 devices', which is common with Windows 10 PC apps.

Yeah this isn't really anything to get too excited over, since this is just preparing proper cross buy support and allowing Windows 10 apps to run on the Xbox One.

Vinland

Banned

you don't need 8gb of cram to use any Xbox one game. A) even the Xbox One doesn't use all 8 and B) the ram is split logically between application code and graphics.

I think it'll be kinda confusing to people if they search the store on PC and find games that are only compatible with Xbox. I'm assuming that's what we're seeing, or are these games PC compatible?

Yeah, I'm confused. Does this just mean that you will be able to purchase Xbox One games through the Windows Store? Or are these Xbox games that are being ported to PC?

Chris1

If it doesn't, they are doing a great job of making it sound like it does. "Install this game in up to ten Windows 10 devices" sounds like you'll be able to install it on PC... unless the Xbox One is now outright called a "Windows 10 device".
You're reading into it too much.. that doesn't say anything about it going to PC. Overwatch beta says that too, yet the beta is over.

That's most likely just the default text and as it's not available publicly according to the article, I doubt they're gonna go and edit it all.

ElNino

Normally, I'd agree with you, but it does say 'Install this game on up to ten Windows 10 devices', which is common with Windows 10 PC apps.
Except the Xbox One is considered a Windows 10 device as well, so it can still be true without working on the PC. Phones are considered Windows 10 devices too, and I'm pretty sure I won't be playing Sunset Overdrive on my 950 XL... that would be awesome however if I could.

Yeah, I'm confused. Does this just mean that you will be able to purchase Xbox One games through the Windows Store? Or are these Xbox games that are being ported to PC?
The former.

playXray

I just want the new Zoo Tycoon game to come to PC! I would be so happy if that ends up on the Windows Store, all UWP problems would be instantly forgiven :)

PG2G

I don't believe Windows 10 Mobile only apps show up in the Windows 10 store on the desktop. I just checked by looking for Instagram. It doesn't really make sense not to limit it by device type. Perhaps the code that does that hasn't been deployed yet, or the proper flags have not been set.

kiguel182

Turning the Xbox into an entry level Windows 10 gaming machine might be one of the smartest and boldest moves we are seeing this gen. The next Xbox iteration is going to be super interesting.

I tried to buy a couple of BC titles over the weekend on my Xbox and I got a message saying it wasnt possible to purchase on that device, or something like that.

Fingers crossed the Redstone update resolves all of these little quirks!

Turning the Xbox into an entry level Windows 10 gaming machine might be one of the smartest and boldest moves we are seeing this gen. The next Xbox iteration is going to be super interesting.

I think it's the other way around. I don't see anything happening to my Xbox, but I see my PC starting to have the games I have on the XBone.
If this is what it seems, it might be true that they are trying to transition Xbox from a console to a service. But then again it might be just a crazy theory.

Don't know if that's the case for all the catalog but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case for first party.

LOL at people thinking these games are playable on Win10. These pages are pre-release and not viewable by the public. They haven't cleaned up all the boilerplate stuff like the Win10 devices limit text at the bottom.

Please don't get your hopes up, folks. OP should update to make this very clear.

JaggedSac

Hope they warn users the titles are for whatever platform before purchase.

Once released to public, Xbox only games will most likely not even be viewable from the store on pc. That is how it works currently with mobile only or pc only items on the store.

Zojirushi

Hope they warn users the titles are for whatever platform before purchase.

Yeah they need to do a good job at that because I can already see this getting confusing as fuck especially if you look at what a terrible mess the W10 store already is.

dr_rus

Well, from the wording of the original source it seems that it's actually neither - what you see is just your account purchases, for any platform your account is able to be used. So you will essentially be able to view your Xbox Store purchases in your account on PC Windows Store but it's unknown if you'll actually be able to purchase anything which can't run on a platform you're currently on.

...It's a mess again basically.

kiguel182

I think it's the other way around. I don't see anything happening to my Xbox, but I see my PC starting to have the games I have on the XBone.
If this is what it seems, it might be true that they are trying to transition Xbox from a console to a service. But then again it might be just a crazy theory.

This allows Microsoft to expand their store on PC on the backs of people that buy consoles (and a lot of people have no interest in buying a gaming PC). Devs will publish their games on the Microsoft store just to take advantage of that user base.

They will expand their Windows Store which will benefit consoles users (I wish I had access to every game available on PC) and will allow them to compete with Steam on PC.

It's a pretty cool idea if it works. I would buy a console that has a Steam like library. At least that's how I'm picturing this leading up to. This could lead to a similar concept to a Steam Machine but way better executed.

Top Bottom