• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Studios Boss Admits Lagging Behind Sony In Terms Of Big Tentpole Games

Based on what? How do you know?
Whats Wrong With You GIF by RK3
Whatever You Say Ok GIF by Kathryn Dean

Shit is not out yet and if it´s just Skyrim in Space ...
u say that like Skyrim isn't one of the biggest games of all time.....and like ppl don't really really want Skyrim in space

Barakov

People would buy the ever living shit out of Skyrim in space. People are going to buy Skyrim for the third time just because it has fishing in it.

AlexxKidd

What needle are you talking about?

Sales/users? The game being active years later? Halo 5 grossed $500 million it's first week AND still has a super active community... Not a bad needle for a 2015 game everyone "hates"

Market share.

Despite everything you mentioned, the Xbox One lost Microsoft major market share. The game did not move the needle. No Xbox One game did, part of the reason why Microsoft went out and spent billions on Bethesda. Because they're games don't move the needle. The accolades you mention are fun to recite, but there's a difference between maintaining the status quo, and moving the needle.

They have the tentpole names, but for some reason fail to deliver on the games. They have HALO for goodness sake....perhaps this is some kind of recognition the way they are managing their studios isn't as good as it should be.

yeah I remember when MS had all the tent pole games like Halo and Gears that used to be huge events when they released. Now they are just sort of meh.

incredible how badly they stagnated for a gen and a half. I hope they can get it together but it’s going to take over a generation to build something respectable, I hope they are able to achieve that and make MS first party exciting again

RCU005

He discussed MS efforts to compete with Sony???

What happened to:

It happened that the guy loves to talk out of his ass. He doesn't believe in his own business, so he just sides to whatever is a trend at the moment. He loves to say what he thinks people want to hear.

yeah I remember when MS had all the tent pole games like Halo and Gears that used to be huge events when they released. Now they are just sort of meh.

incredible how badly they stagnated for a gen and a half. I hope they can get it together but it’s going to take over a generation to build something respectable, I hope they are able to achieve that and make MS first party exciting again
More comedy gold 🤣 Infinite will be huge and Forza Horizon is probably going to win GOTY, what rubbish are you going to spout then?

ZehDon

Yep. When Mattrick's parted, Xbox's first party was decimated. Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable. And they let the brand rot for nearly an entire console generation. It was painfully evident that Microsoft seriously considered getting out of the console space during the Xbone generation, because, year after year, it was clear Microsoft wasn't interested in investing or spending where they desperately needed it the most: first party studios. Sure, they made steps to correct that right at the end of the Xbone generation, obviously, but it's going to take time for Microsoft's renewed interest in gaming to actually manifest; I suspect developers were left alone because, frankly, as long as they made a profit, no one seriously cared what they did. Hopefully we'll see that change for the better over the next few years. But hey - Xbox has been saying that for nearly a decade at this point.

Nico_D

Yeah, that is true. That's not to say they don't have good games but generally, what Sony does suits my gaming tastes better than MS's. Still, I'm finding a lot to play on game pass albeit not many of those are exclusives. Happy owning all three consoles so I'm able to get what I want on whatever platform it feels and looks the best.

MS should get more PC games running on Xbox, that would go a long way fixing the problem. Through Geforce Now or whatever the alternative would be.

reksveks

MS should get more PC games running on Xbox, that would go a long way fixing the problem. Through Geforce Now or whatever the alternative would be
I was going to say that's possible but I think that Nvidia has blocked the Edge browser from accessing GeForce Now sadly.

Nico_D

I was going to say that's possible but I think that Nvidia has blocked the Edge browser from accessing GeForce Now sadly.

Yeah, they have done that. When I got my XBX, I first read how Geforce Now runs on it and I was already dreaming of getting to finally play Planet Zoo before reality hit me.

It was a weird decision on Nvidia's part.

Stare-Bear

Banned
People love to throw Don Mattrick under the bus for the current state of Xbox. But Phil Spencer has been head of development for multiple generations and to have such a barren first-party lineup for years is nothing but embarrassing. He needed to go a couple of years ago and give someone new a chance...

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
People love to throw Don Mattrick under the bus for the current state of Xbox. But Phil Spencer has been head of development for multiple generations and to have such a barren first-party lineup for years is nothing but embarrassing. He needed to go a couple of years ago and give someone new a chance...
Probably a limit to what you can do when you don't have the money to make things happen.

Whatever the past sins of Spencer have been, the current version of Xbox seems to be driven by him, resulting in huge investment in first party and gamepass and great hardware. As someone with an Xbox, I think there's plenty to applaud about the way Phil has steered xbox since he took over, but also he seems like a good guy, who is actually passionate about games.

Please keep it civil in here.

As I've said it before Microsoft are on the right track. They fell off the cliff during Xbox One generation, but they are back like never before and you can clearly see in the strong Series X sales. Something tells me that they are definitely cooking up major games(unannounced) that would make the gaming community go 'whoa'.

Mr.ODST

I think MS already have some great IPs they can work with and develop with notable characters.

When I goto my store on PS5 the main thing I see is Bethesda games, Doom Eternal, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, (Obviously Deathloop) and I remember seeing these over the years constantly, now I think MS owns those characters and IP's which clearly a lot of people love.

Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Even compared to other Halos?

HALO Infinite sp didn't look good in anyway and to be hiding until now I don't have hopes to find a good campaign there.

Mp looks and plays good but I'm not sure nowadays audience will embrace an arena shooter besides fans on the mid-long term.
They hide it now because it's whats called impact game marketing, the game needs to make a resurgence so it's good to make a fuss of it when it's close to releasing (around 1 - 1.5 months) than months away.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Yep. When Mattrick's parted, Xbox's first party was decimated. Halo, Gears, Forza and Fable. And they let the brand rot for nearly an entire console generation. It was painfully evident that Microsoft seriously considered getting out of the console space during the Xbone generation, because, year after year, it was clear Microsoft wasn't interested in investing or spending where they desperately needed it the most: first party studios. Sure, they made steps to correct that right at the end of the Xbone generation, obviously, but it's going to take time for Microsoft's renewed interest in gaming to actually manifest; I suspect developers were left alone because, frankly, as long as they made a profit, no one seriously cared what they did. Hopefully we'll see that change for the better over the next few years. But hey - Xbox has been saying that for nearly a decade at this point.
Doesnt xbox dominate in 4 categories currently?

They own the racing genre, shooting genre, open world genre, and platform genre as of now.

Bethesda with open world, doom, halo, forza, double fine, rare games.

Their major issues is that they arent focusing on their own projects like sony is doing. They have banjo and conker, blue dragon sitting in storage. While sony is doing ratchet series.

kingfey

Banned
But they're not competing with Sony remember..
They arent.

There is making games like sony, then there is competing with others.

As of now, xbox has their own games and projects. They have no reason to compete with sony. Especially when sony is putting their games on pc.

Xbox needs to focus on their internal studios, build their vault, and expand their reachable market.

Sony still is struggling with their mega blockbuster games. 20M gow, a big franchise, which had 4 years, and price decrease permanently, lost to animal crossing. That game had 1 year to hit 30+m copies sold in 1 year. Especially GOW having 120+m? ps4 consoles and 10m+ ps5 consoles as of now.

They need wider market. Consoles are garden project. Just look at gow pc now. it hit top 3 preorder games on steam.

No matter how good your games is, you need people to be interested in.

Its why fifa, COD, gtav, skyrim, and the witcher 3 are big games. They have players all around the systems.

Fennec

Haven’t they been admitting that for the last 10+ years, without showing any real improvement since then ?

He discussed MS efforts to compete with Sony???

What happened to:

He was asked about how they were going released games like Sony, they didn’t ask about this.

Kerotan

They arent.

There is making games like sony, then there is competing with others.

As of now, xbox has their own games and projects. They have no reason to compete with sony. Especially when sony is putting their games on pc.

Xbox needs to focus on their internal studios, build their vault, and expand their reachable market.

Sony still is struggling with their mega blockbuster games. 20M gow, a big franchise, which had 4 years, and price decrease permanently, lost to animal crossing. That game had 1 year to hit 30+m copies sold in 1 year. Especially GOW having 120+m? ps4 consoles and 10m+ ps5 consoles as of now.

They need wider market. Consoles are garden project. Just look at gow pc now. it hit top 3 preorder games on steam.

No matter how good your games is, you need people to be interested in.

Its why fifa, COD, gtav, skyrim, and the witcher 3 are big games. They have players all around the systems.
LOL struggling? I've heard it all now. You can remove ps5 from your equation because we get it free on ps5.

Iced Arcade

Market share.

Despite everything you mentioned, the Xbox One lost Microsoft major market share. The game did not move the needle. No Xbox One game did, part of the reason why Microsoft went out and spent billions on Bethesda. Because they're games don't move the needle. The accolades you mention are fun to recite, but there's a difference between maintaining the status quo, and moving the needle.
I think you are mixing up needles with goalposts.

lol enjoy your wage

Shubh_C63

Realistically I don't expect MS to ever go 1:1 in blockbuster titles compared to Sony.

Sony been longer in this, has more studio and talent which you just can't hire from college and slap 343 on it. And honestly don't think MS is really dying to match them either. Gamepass is a different beast that makes AA games look way more intriguing (and they are), instead of risking it all on AAA-SP.

Last edited:

truth411

They will be catching up starting this fall with halo infinite and forza horizon 5 and next year with starfield,forza, redfall, stalker 2 etc
Its unbelievable that we still haven't seen any campaign footage of Halo yet since that debacle last year. But more Halo and Forza isn't catching up. We've had Halo, Gears and Forza for years, and Sony isn't standing still their 2022 line up is ridiculously packed. Also Nintendo will release BOTW2.

Market share.

The PS4 was well ahead of the Xbox One in market share before Sonys big games (starting with Uncharted 4) even started dropping.

But even with Xbox losing the sales battle, they clearly made enough revenue to not only convince Satya Nadella to find it worth the money to invest the Series X/S this generation..but to also make Jim Ryan take notice and begin to adopt a similar (if not eventually the exact same) strategy to maximize income.
That's literally the definition of moving the needle.

Last edited:

reksveks

So what studios out there is there to aqquire that could deliver a games to the likes of god of war, uncharted or horizon?
I would like to see Asobo given more money to build out a larger scoped narrative game.

Epic have kinda got a number of good studios onto limited publishing deals so those are off the table for now.

I know that people have differing views on Square Enix's relationship with its Western studios but it always seems like a tense one to me. Maybe I am comparing it to the relatively good relationship that Sega has with Sega West.

Last edited:
I would like to see Asobo given more money to build out a larger scoped narrative game.

Epic have kinda got a number of good studios onto limited publishing deals so those are off the table for now.

I know that people have differing views on Square Enix's relationship with its Western studios but it always seems like a tense one to me. Maybe I am comparing it to the relatively good relationship that Sega has with Sega West.
Asobo would make a lot of sense. I think that respawn and crystal dynamics could deliver similiar games but their parent companies would hardly let go of them.

Urban

What is this post? 😅 This comment is going to age terribly after Forza and Halo hit later this year.
Halo isnt even finished when it launches. So?

343 never delivered imo. Lets wait and see.

Forza is S tier but im not that of a racing guy so its nothing for me..

AlexxKidd

The PS4 was well ahead of the Xbox One in market share before Sonys big games (starting with Uncharted 4) even started dropping.

But even with Xbox losing the sales battle, they clearly made enough revenue to not only convince Satya Nadella to find it worth the money to invest the Series X/S this generation..but to also make Jim Ryan take notice and begin to adopt a similar (if not eventually the exact same) strategy to maximize income.
That's literally the definition of moving the needle.

There are many definitions. My definition, as stated above if you deigned to read it before responding, is the biggest needle - market share. Sony's big games started dropping at the tale end of the PlayStation 3 and carried them into the PS4. Ever hear of something called The Last of Us?

So what studios out there is there to aqquire that could deliver a games to the likes of god of war, uncharted or horizon?
In the full interview he says they arnt trying to replicate a God of War, uncharted or horizon. That they're gonna create their own type of games instead. That to do a direct 1:1 of where's xbox's uncharted is foolish.

That being said lol they could buy SE west and have Chrystal dynamics do their uncharted. ( I prefer tomb raider reboot series to uncharted anyways)

Buy wb games and have rocksteady do a God of War type game. They are a master of that type of content and getting them away from batman seems like a good thing after suicide squad being a gaas.

And for horizon? I'm not sure. Can't think of am available studio to do something like that.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its unbelievable that we still haven't seen any campaign footage of Halo yet since that debacle last year. But more Halo and Forza isn't catching up. We've had Halo, Gears and Forza for years, and Sony isn't standing still their 2022 line up is ridiculously packed. Also Nintendo will release BOTW2.

Sony has nothing this fall.
You may not personally like forzaH5 but it has loads of fans and reviews very well. I agree not seeing campaign footage of infinite is a little concerning but at least the MP gameplay shows improved visuals. Regarding infinite I think its about what expectations you have, if you expecting a 90-95 metacritic and praise similar to halo when bungie made it, you will likely be disappointed, if you expect something as good as Halo 5 you will probably have a good time.
Its Funny that people put huge expectations on infinite but games like Ghosts of tishima score 80-85 and they get lots praise.

Also I never said sony had a bad 2022, on the contrary they have a very good 2022. The difference is so do xbox.
Xbox also had a pretty strong 2021 also, with flight sim, the ascent,psychonauts 2, FH5 and infinite.

Playstation does not have that clear first party lead like they had in the past (of course we cant know how good the games are going to be until we play them, but that applies to sony too, obviously we are making euducated guess based on studios previous work)

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
LOL struggling? I've heard it all now. You can remove ps5 from your equation because we get it free on ps5.
isnt that for ps+? so my point stands.

It needs to sell.

If animal crossing, a 3d farming game can get 30m in 1 year, why cant gow get that number? Especially, when the playstation has more numbers than switch?

The answer is simple. Not many people love heavy story games.

Even me now I am staying away from those games, due to low free time.

My time is fifa only. Even with gamepass, my ps4 games, rd2, I cant play them. As a university student, its hard to play them.

People who say things like "xbox has saying they have games coming for a decade now" are acting in bad faith. Yes xbox had always over promised and undelivered. But that was back when it had like 5 studios. They used to just be rare ,mojang, 343 the coalition and turn 10. Now they have 23. Likes games ARE coming. Bethesda by itself is gonna deliver that not to mention their other dozen new studios

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Halo isnt even finished when it launches. So?

343 never delivered imo. Lets wait and see.

Forza is S tier but im not that of a racing guy so its nothing for me..

Its does not matter if you think 343 have not delivered. They did. There games might not have the same quality and fanfair as the bungie halos but despite that there games still scored 84meta and have been played by millions.

Its funny that some people here cant realise that there opinions may not be the same as the general reception of a game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom