• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Support: 343 blocking refunds for Halo: MCC

You are entitled to a refund. If the customer service rep told you all that stuff, they were incorrect.

343 wouldn't even know who to talk to, to tell them any such nonsense. Everyone here is heads down fixing the issues, not messing with consumers.

Apologies for your experience but it is not some developer mandate. It doesn't even work like that.

I have flagged it and it will be dealt with.

Game Over.

Xbudz

I can't believe xbox support wouldn't give me a few microsoft points when I called and reported the problem. I was pissed because I've had a terrible two days having gone to the er yesterday and the game I bought for multiplayer doesn't work. Enough points for a couple madden packs was too much to ask for. Demanding a refund if this shit isn't fixed by the weekend. I'll buy my own madden packs, but you know a company has customer service issues when they won't throw a bone to an unhappy loyal customer. Makes me think I'll jump to Sony if they can ever get some great titles (that aren't sp only).

I somehow doubt Sony would ever throw you a bone for reporting a problem. Get a refund if you want, but asking for $$ for your frustration is kinda funny. Good luck with that.

hunchback

I could post the transcript, really though do I need to do that. It's not about the money really. It's the point.

You have been a member here for a lot longer than I have. During my very short time here, the first thing I learned was to not buy digitally on day one. Sadly we are in a time when shipping game's that are not finished has almost become standard. If 343 can't get the game working by next week then I would definitely agree on the refund.

U2NUMB

I am so depressed... lost most my desire to play the game. It better be fixed before the weekend. And I mean FULLY fixed.... there is no way they did not know this game was not ready to go when it launched :(

Tangerinediesel

Neo Member
The OP certain has a right to his refund but for a game that seems to be built for years of fun to be returned after two days is clearly an overreaction in my opinion.
The devs releasing numerous server side "fixes" that have no impact make people start to lose faith. Why no one over there has thought of a custom game browser with this all going on shows how incompetent their networking guys are. I've seen plenty of shitty launches, but this one gives me the feeling something is very broken. Most of the time it's just a head refusing to admit his configurations were wrong barking out orders on a bridge until he finally folds and asks for more servers, but not this time.

SURGEdude

TBF this is far from unique to them, almost every company I've contacted has had the same issue. Luck with support can often be determined by an operators mood, so I never trust what just one person says.

Sadly this is true. Though so companies do seem better than others. Had good luck with Amazon for instance. Never had much interaction with MS support, so I can't rate them at all. But nobody is worse than AT& fucking T. I don't think I've ever not had a bad experience with them. Apple on the other hand was great the couple times I dealt with them. So was Google.

Bsigg12

Yo OP you should edit your post with Stinkles post. Xbox Support is typically really nice about handling the digital games if there are legitimate concerns.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
1st World gaming complex :This is unacceptable, this is unacceptable, this is unacceptable, this is unacceptable.

Billy: Hey Jonny! Guess what's coming out soon?

Jonny: I know, Meowmix ultimate.

Billy: Dude, I'm totally getting it day zero!

Jonny: K, good luck with that considering the current state of launch games.

Billy: I don't care, I love it!

*Day Zero*

Billy: what in the actual @#%^ ?? I want a refund!! It mostly works, but I bought it before I knew there were problems with the servers!!

Jonny: Noob, almost all launch games had issues yet here you are, entitled to your narcissistic, self inducing sense of entitlement.

Billy: Well I want a refund! This is the worst! This is atrocious, this is..

Jonny: This is gaming. Choose with your wallet, but don't choose your fate before you know the outcome.

Billy: Okay, sorry Jonny.

This kind of stupid attitude is what make our rights as a costumer so often get trampled.

Meanwhile, at customer service...

1e896b63828ae1c2dab4bad103fd5d3fbc83ffeaa076176d0c06686e4835a768.jpg

Tangerinediesel

Neo Member
I somehow doubt Sony would ever throw you a bone for reporting a problem. Get a refund if you want, but asking for $$ for your frustration is kinda funny. Good luck with that.
Most companies will throw you some kind of bone when you bitch. I had an issue with Ms services in the past and was given $10 of ms pts and Sony gave me $10 for an issue with their music service when I had ps4. I probably just got a hard headed rep this time tbh. Either way, you must go around thanking customer service departments for your inconveniences if you think it's funny to ask for compensation for frustrations with their product.

I just got a refund (Xbox store credit) for Destiny. I regretted purchasing it and still have yet to play it. The customer service rep said that I was outside the obligated refund terms but because I haven't been refunded for anything over the last year then I was entitled to a customary refund if I asked. He said that I won't be eligible for any more customary refunds for the next year.

Jetman

How do refunds on digital items even work? I mean, it's still on your system so do you just promise Microsoft that you'll delete the game after they refund you?

Xbudz

How do refunds on digital items even work? I mean, it's still on your system so do you just promise Microsoft that you'll delete the game after they refund you?

They remove the license from your account, it's up to you if you want to un-install the game.
You can't play it without the license you paid for.

DBT85

Only way you could play would be to never connect to the internet again.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
You are entitled to a refund. If the customer service rep told you all that stuff, they were incorrect.

343 wouldn't even know who to talk to, to tell them any such nonsense. Everyone here is heads down fixing the issues, not messing with consumers.

Apologies for your experience but it is not some developer mandate. It doesn't even work like that.

post-24099-well-there-it-is-gif-Jeff-Gold-yNHs.gif

redcrayon

If you've made a purchase digitally, who's to say you've even bought it from a UK subsidiary. Don't have of these companies funnel the payments via Luxembourg or Ireland?
Because if that's the case then the distance selling act means nothing as you've bought it from another country.

Besides, even in UK retail consumer rights act doesn't mandated that a company has to give you a refund for a faulty product.
They can offer to exchange for an actually functioning version instead, but you are still entitled to a refund if you prefer- the former is just a reasonable solution for both parties if the customer still wants the product.

Does it not come under the sale of goods act? If something is not of satisfactory quality, you have a statutory right under the Sale of Goods Act to a refund, to have it replaced or repaired for free (Within six weeks after purchase).

Agree on funnelling payments and distance selling, that's why I'd probably take it up with the UK store's UK customer service line under sale of goods. It's a bit of a hassle though, for sure.

VeeP

This whole refund hing is getting OT of hand. Servers having issues at launch is nothing new. Acting totally surprised and getting your money back is so silly.

Also if you plan on debuting the game a week later when it smooths over, why go through the trouble in the first place? Just play something else until it's patched... Then pick the disc up and pop it in when ready.

"Hey, if you bought a game expecting it to work and it doesn't. Don't worry. Just play something else. It might be fixed in a few days, few weeks. No worries. When it's done its done, pop the disc in and play"

Yea, fuck that.

Developers SHOULD have issues like this sorted out by the time the game is LAUNCHED.

If it's only taking a few days/weeks they should delay the game.

Expecting a customer to just wait until the product finally works is ridiculous.

Alucrid

Banned
1st World gaming complex :This is unacceptable, this is unacceptable, this is unacceptable, this is unacceptable.

Billy: Hey Jonny! Guess what's coming out soon?

Jonny: I know, Meowmix ultimate.

Billy: Dude, I'm totally getting it day zero!

Jonny: K, good luck with that considering the current state of launch games.

Billy: I don't care, I love it!

*Day Zero*

Billy: what in the actual @#%^ ?? I want a refund!! It mostly works, but I bought it before I knew there were problems with the servers!!

Jonny: Noob, almost all launch games had issues yet here you are, entitled to your narcissistic, self inducing sense of entitlement.

Billy: Well I want a refund! This is the worst! This is atrocious, this is..

Jonny: This is gaming. Choose with your wallet, but don't choose your fate before you know the outcome.

Billy: Okay, sorry Jonny.

what does it say about your opinion when the franchise development director at 343 literally said, "You are entitled to a refund."

lol People defending 343 are the reason why games launch like shit nowadays.

"Here, take my 60 dollars. Also, its perfectly fine if the item I'm purchasing just doesn't work at all. You can keep my 60. Thanks."

Banned
I just think two days isn't enough time. If you're demanding a refund already because one area of the game is slow or not working properly then it's an overreaction.

You got four single player campaigns to play through until it's fixed.

To each his own. I understand the nature of game development and know it's hard to predict server load and issues like matchmaking bugs sometimes get missed in beta. It could also be Microsoft rushing to get a holiday release for this game.

All I meant by my post is people are so quick to react, and what bothers me is he said he's buying it again when it works. It's a game that will last you years and it's not working properly for less then a week and you're complaining?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Seems like OP met an incompetent rep and his issue got dealt with from the subsequent tries. This stuff happens and it's ok for OP to bring it up. Given the circumstances and the state in which the game shipped - he's entitled to a refund if he so believes he wants one.

As for this thread - there is no need for the thread to be kept open any longer - unless we get more accounts of users having refund request getting denied - IMO.

IISANDERII

I just think two days isn't enough time. If you're demanding a refund already because one area of the game is slow or not working properly then it's an overreaction.

To each his own. I understand the nature of game development and know it's hard to predict server load and issues like matchmaking bugs sometimes get missed in beta. It could also be Microsoft rushing to get a holiday release for this game.

All I meant by my post is people are so quick to react, and what bothers me is he said he's buying it again when it works. It's a game that will last you years and it's not working properly for less then a week and you're complaining?
Well you understand the nature of game development but the consumer usually doesn't. And shouldn't need to.

Why 2 days, why not 2 weeks or 2 months? If the game isn't working on day 3 should you be able to return it to bestbuy? Do they accept returns on opened software? Which retailers do? I guess retailers across the world should rewrite their return policy for games and permit returns for day 3, assuming there's some reliable method of determining which game is busted and which isn't. That's not problematic.

It's plenty time. Should work from the moment they start selling the game. Of there's issues, they should delay until it works as intended.

Top Bottom