• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Support: GAME ROOM game packs for 360 & Windows pulled from store for good.

kyoya

According to support reps from the Xbox 360 forums, all of the game packs on the Game Room from Atari, Activision, Intellivision, and Konami have been pulled from the store and are gone for good.

With no notification or announcement, approximately 188 of these titles for arcade, Atari 2600, and Intellivision platforms are no longer available for purchase.

360 users are also reporting that they can not access and play the games they already paid for, that Game Room freezes up when pressing start. Users are not very happy with the issues that have been reported for months now as seen on the Xbox support forums:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/8/t/1938233.aspx?pi7406=1#5249241

Some are reporting that disconnecting your 360 from the internet fixes the "freeze" issue, while Xbox support reps are claiming a fix is on the way.

Frustrating and kind of sad nonetheless. It appears the games on the services perhaps had a five-year licensing agreement on the service since they were launched in 2010, or Microsoft is shutting down the Game Room for good.

A list of games that were once available for the service can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Room_games

Kinda predictable since the contracts was bound to expire, but still very sad, like the delisting of Commodore 64 games from Wii Virtual Console.

kyoya

Kinda predictable since the contracts was bound to expire, but still very sad, like the delisting of Commodore 64 games from Wii Virtual Console.

Yeah, I still had games I wanted to buy on Game Room. Regarding the Wii Virtual Console, I was also bummed that I didn't have time to buy some of the pulled Data East TG-16 games like Silent Debuggers and Bloody Wolf.

Majine

Banned
Game Room was such a good idea. Microsoft doesn't have as big of a history as Sony or Nintendo do, so doing this as a complement to everything else they do made sense.

Too bad it didn't pan out.

Had to stop playing Game Room a while back due to constant freezing issues stemming from an update. Seems that never got fixed. Game Room was a good idea in theory and I bought a ton of the games but the execution left a lot to be desired. Shame to hear that everything got pulled.

Piccoro

We are never getting sunset riders

:(

:(

Sunset_Stage4-624x485.jpg

And with the recent Konami happenings, Sunset Riders will be lost forever...

Edit: I used to have Game Room on Games for Windows Live! I wonder what will happen if I try to boot it now...

RIP my copy of twin bee, doubt i'll be able to redownload that.

It's another thing microsoft have tried to do, given up early and let it rot.

I absolutely loved Game Room. And GiantBomb's Quick Looks made it all the better—almost better than the games themselves each release day.

Sad that it got killed so unceremoniously.

I was actually planning on buying a couple of gameroom games this week but if folk can't access what they've paid for it looks I've dodged a bullet.

Fox Mulder

I still think this should be brought back for the Xbox One, it was too good of an idea to give up on.

Needs third party support and some of the game room titles had issues with translating well to controllers.

Shame we dont even get these kinds of smaller classic arcade games at all on the xb1. Xbla was full of them.

I actually bought several Game Room games just last year. :(

Not sure if I can still access them, but I suppose I'll try.

The delistings happened well over 2 months ago, by the way. There's a thread on TrueAchievements about it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Needs third party support and some of the game room titles had issues with translating well to controllers.

Shame we dont even get these kinds of smaller classic arcade games at all on the xb1. Xbla was full of them.

I say get Iron Galaxy, M2 or some other dev who has experience with classic games. And with MS' money, they should have had games from Sega, Namco, Midway, and the like.

Sigh...

Piccoro

Yeah, good luck re-licensing the Konami catalog right now...

Chinbo37

There is going to be more and more stuff like this in teh coming years, and it will only continue to get worse.

I see a lot more people adopting PC gaming.

meppi

Get used to it.

Not likely.

I've always hated emulators and never used them more than for 5 minutes at most in the past.
Until this kinda stuff started happening.
The more instances like this pop up, the more I'm inclined not to bother paying for re-released classics that I already spent plenty of money on back in the day, and use "alternative means" to play them instead.

Never thought I would hear myself say that. :-/

aku:jiki

Unless we find a way to preserve digital games, then no.
Find a way? Anyone can put a USB stick in their 360, copy a game over and then transfer it to their PC...

It's playing it on a 360 without a license for it on your gamertag that's the problem, but even that was cracked many years ago, of course. Pirates always manage.

Bedlam

Brave new digital future.

And I understand you can't redownload the games you paid for? Is that even legal?

atomsk

Party Pooper
I can confirm Game Room crashes (with the system online)

Hard locked my 360 in fact. Tried it twice with the same result.

Only bought 2-3 games on it, but still.

HOW BOUT THAT DIGITAL FUTURE

edit: yeah, if you launch the game offline, it works.

sueil

The indoor batting cages I would go to when playing travel team baseball back in the 90's had a Sunset Riders machine and I played that shit way more than practiced my batting.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I still think this should be brought back for the Xbox One, it was too good of an idea to give up on.

It's an awesome idea, but it was killed by a lack of support from the classic arcade companies that weren't bothering to put their games on it.

If Sega, Capcom, Midway, and SNK were on board, and giving solid support this could've been incredible.

But its still possible to re-download all of those games and play them whenever you want.

Same is true for 360, and the cases where it wasn't ended up being mistakes. I expect that's the case here.

The problem with people complaining about digital is the alternative generally isn't a physical disc, the alternative is the game not being released.

epmode

I can confirm Game Room crashes (with the system online)

Hard locked my 360 in fact. Tried it twice with the same result.

Only bought 2-3 games on it, but still.

HOW BOUT THAT DIGITAL FUTURE

The digital future is lovely on PC. I can still freely download, install and play every single game I purchased on Steam since Half-Life 2 went on sale. And on the off chance that a Windows update or something breaks a game, there's almost always a fan fix.

You start running into trouble on consoles, unfortunately. The console owners and publishers have no problem with taking your games away as soon as preservation becomes inconvenient. That became very clear to me when Microsoft shut down Xbox Live 1.0 for some garbage reason.

Top Bottom