• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Survey: would you sell back your digital games at 10% of purchase price?

jbug617

Banned
It's quite a bit worse then GameStop in a lot of cases. That's a whole another level of shenanigans. This is why folks should be happy that Xbone digital only shit died on the vine.

They are asking a question in a survey. It doesn't mean they are going to do it.

iNvid02

is this like a purposeful lowball, and then if it actually happens the price is something like 30% and people are really happy

no thanks lol

Noobcraft

So what is this, just a courtesy service or something? What would they actually do with the digital licenses they buy back? Would it actually save them money from making new license keys or something?
It's probably more like they get better margins from digital sales, so they want people to go digital and this sweetens the pot a little bit. 10% isn't much, but it's not like they can resell the game. They just want you to put it forward towards a new game/DLC to make their money back.

They pay you to deactivate your game license, so you put that cash towards a new license for something else.

Uraizen

Banned
I was hoping 10% was a typo because that's just insulting. How about a bidding system instead where the users decide the worth of the game and you take a small cut of the profit?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
10% is low, but it's better than nothing, which is what you currently get for used digital games on all platforms.

That said, if I had to make a guess, the only reason Microsoft is even considering this is that they haven't given up on their all-digital console dream.

They're looking for the price at which people will except an all-digital, no-used-games Microsoft future, since the ability to sell used games is what people fought for the last time Microsoft failed with this push.

My guess for the way Microsoft wants this to go? They figure out a price for digital "resale" they think most of their audience will accept. They implement this price for all digital games you buy on Xbox.

Then at some point during one of their ".5" Xbox cycles, once they have introduced their yearly new models or whatever, they introduce an (optional) Xbox model that is all digital games, at a cheaper price. You save money on buying the box, but don't worry about the fact that it's all digital, because you can still "sell your used games" back to them. Hopefully, in Microsoft's eyes at least, this goes over fairly well, and two or three product cycles down the road, suddenly all the Xbox models are digital only.

is this like a purposeful lowball, and then if it actually happens the price is something like 30% and people are really happy

Absolutely, 100% what is going on.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
People that buy Digital currently get nothing for the games they've finished with but snob 10% cash back? I can understand it's pretty low, but if you have 20 games that you've bought digitally this gen and no longer play then that could be up to $120 back.

I'm not defending it, I'm against digital as it is and have only bought one retail game digitally on consoles since it started and that was GTAV on PS3.

ohlawd

No thanks. I'd rather have the game sitting in the drive. I don't think I would for anything that isn't 70% or higher but at that percentage, MS has no reason to do the promo to start

etta

my hard graphic balls
10% is too low.
Make it 30% and put a time restriction, such as only be able to sell it back within 18 months of release.

Microsoft be fishing and if 39% of respondents say yes they'll probably implement it.

If you get the survey, for gods sake say no. 10% is a joke lol

Dynasty

10% is low but better than nothing, if they up it to 20% then yh would definetly consider it from down games I no longer play.

Hugstable

Banned
10% is really reeally low. And please don't add some system where I sell back my digital license... the whole reason I go digital now is to get away from that resell temptations!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Microsoft be fishing and if 39% of respondents say yes they'll probably implement it.

If you get the survey, for gods sake say no. 10% is a joke lol

It almost doesn't matter. At this point they have primed the conversation around the 10% price point. Then, when they come back with something slightly higher, people will be like "oh, alright."

This is already happening for some posters in this thread, who have already stated they would be willing at 20-30%. If MS came straight out and said 30, people might have pointed out how low a number that is, since "you don't even get half". Now, 30% looks like a luxuriously high price point compared to the 10% they were originally thinking of, and Microsoft gets to look like they're being the good guy by giving you "so much" for your digital games.

What's the point? They give you $6 to never play a game again? What?

There'd have to be a reselling marketplace with higher prices.

SOR5

10% is very low, however the concept theyre even offering is a good thing.

I'd haggle at 25%+

Also some people have to think about all the games theyve collected that they'd never play turning into cash, thats enticing

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I buy games for less than 10% of their MSRP pretty routinely, so this would be profitable for me if it was allowed on all platforms.

notaskwid

Set up incentives for buying digital like cash back or buy x get % off y instead of insulting people throwing pebles for re"selling" digital games.

For very old games, maybe.

Would be more interesting if they would allow used sales to other people directly through a online marketplace. Have people bid on the game and see how they value it. Publisher takes a cut to make it interesting for them.

Kilau

Gold Member
What MS gets out of this deal is what I'm curious about. I just don't see any benefit for them to remove access to a game in exchange for a few dollars.

Genuinely curious here.

Set up incentives for buying digital like cash back or buy x get % off y instead of insulting people throwing pebles for re"selling" digital games.

They already do this with the Rewards program.

(I only have one star because I buy physical copies when able.)

rewardstckh9.png

bigkrev

Looked up some Gamestop trade values of bigger games of Holiday 2014 (so about 18 months old)

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfighter: $3.00
Assassin's Creed Unity: $3.00
Far Cry 4: $12.00
Titanfall: $1.50
Middle Earth: Shadows over Mordor: $5
South Park: The Stick of Truth $3
Madden NFL 15: $2

It actually makes the 10% off the original price ($6) look like a good deal as long as you wait a year, lol

Ecto311

Maybe 30% but 10% damn. Most of the digital stuff I own is because of sales so 10% would be dick compared to me being able to keep them.

AmuroChan

10% off the purchase price would only mean something valuable with sports games, where 3 years later you can sell it back for $6 when it is essentally valueless.

I think it' safe to assume that there will be plenty of restrictions. Another loophole is if you bought a game and then it's later offered as a GwG game. Every person who bought the game digitally would sell it back. That would literally cost MS millions of dollars.

BahamutPT

What MS gets out of this deal is what I'm curious about. I just don't see any benefit for them to remove access to a game in exchange for a few dollars.

Genuinely curious here.

They probably can easily get those 10% back due to Microsoft having higher margins on digital store sales than on retail.

theWB27

Genuinely curious here.

They're not losing money because whatever you get back you still have to spend it with them.

Still...that's far too low for money they aren't going to lose.

Does that exist outside of North America?

Says this at the bottom of the page.

Open to residents of Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, the United Kingdom or the 50 United States (including District of Columbia) who are 13 years of age or older, or residents of Norway who are 18 years of age or older. See Terms and Conditions for details.

jay23

Serious question what does MS gain from allowing you to sell back digital games?

Or do they think this will lead to more sales?

Top Bottom