• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Survey: would you sell back your digital games at 10% of purchase price?

SOR5

The survey says store credit. The money stays in the ecosystem.

In favour of the person quoting you, 75% trade-in could substantially reduce the amount of investment in the ecosystem you'd make, it wouldnt be clever of MS, too chunky of a portion. It would be massively pro-consumer but harmful for their business.

Honestly if this is in addition to a Steam-esque refund system, I really don't see anything fundamentally wrong with it. If you just straight up immediately regret the purchase, you get your money back, and if you just end up not playing it at some point in the far flung future you get a little back. Maybe have it start out at like 25% then go down over time.

wrowa

Yeah $6 in credit that can only be used on the XBL Marketplace for a $60 purchase.

Gamestop's more generous than this and that's not really a compliment.
Gamestop can resell the games they buy, Microsoft wouldn't be able to do the same with digital games. The situations aren't comparable.

Rembrandt

Banned
All are posted on their website, and all are the PS4 version except Titanfall (XB1) and South Park (PS3). I didn't realize how low trade in values fell!

Yeah, that's ridiculous seeing unity and aw so low.

Keeping the game would be better.

Keeping a game and never playing it is better than getting some money for it?

Hahaha, fuck off, 10%. Make it 75% and we'll talk. What an insulting proposal.

Lmao, where are you consistently getting 75% back?

SOR5

Honestly if this is in addition to a Steam-esque refund system, I really don't see anything fundamentally wrong with it. If you just straight up immediately regret the purchase, you get your money back, and if you just end up not playing it at some point in the far flung future you get a little back. Maybe have it start out at like 25% then go down over time.

I think this is also a good idea, a fixed rate of 10% for everything is bad.

Maybe a starting rate of %100 for games you just purchased
%50 for new games
%35 for recent but not new games
%20 for older games
%10 for Fifa 06

Yep steam refund situation is extremely pro consumer. Every digital game service should offer it but I'm not expecting them to.

I'd take it. Even if it was a starting point to get a better system in place. I already get a percentage in credit through XBL Rewards, and if I have a game license I don't plan on playing anymore then I would take whatever I could get. Something is better than nothing, especially when I could put that something toward another game!

I don't understand how anyone can be offended by this. It's not like Microsoft can resell the license they revoke. They essentially get nothing out of this.

Costia

I'm unlikely to take advantage of it but I don't usually sell games in general. It's definitely a superior system to the current model of "you can't get anything back" though so idk why all the people ITT are getting up in arms about it.
I think you are missing the point. It's not 10% instead of nothing.
They are not giving 10% to be nice to the people who already buy digital. They are trying to convince people who are buying physical copies to switch to digital.
So it's 10% vs whatever you get from selling a physical copy.
And the responses in this thread indicate that 10% is not enough to make people switch.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yeah $6 in credit that can only be used on the XBL Marketplace for a $60 purchase.

Gamestop's more generous than this and that's not really a compliment.

You can't use this on the deals with gold titles, on DLC, publisher deals, or keep it in the wallet? You have to only use it on a $60 game?

You could trade Titanfall in for $6 or at GS for $1.25.

PaulLFC

10%? :lol

They're digital licences that don't degrade in any way whatsoever. The percentage either needs to be far higher, or decrease from 100% based on time since you purchased the game. A 10% flat rate is an insult.

Not 10%. Maybe if the percentage decreases with time it's owned at a reasonable pace, starting high (for example, 100% with a refunds program).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How is 10% of your PURCHASE price bad? It'll give the game a fixed value, that you could possibly get back a year or 2 after the product is irrelevant (though I'm sure there'd be a cutoff date.) One of the worse things about Physical trades is the huge depreciation on some titles. I like the idea that early-adopters never end up getting less, this way.

And if they open the door to this, I'm sure there's be promos. "Sell back Fallout 8 for Fallout 9, get 20% off!" and such. Heck, they'd probably even do 100% "Trade Ins" as a deal on occasion. It'd also be unique to Xbox for a time, and would encourage the competition to try offer their own variations (such as how PS+ was adapted by Xbox GWG).

I'm not a person who trades in games, but there's been a few times where I've got a digital game because a friend wanted to play together, and when they show no interest anymore, I might as well get rid of it. If getting a few dollars towards something I like more could come from that, why not?

khaaan

In the best case scenario you're looking at $6. Without parsing through my purchasing history, I'm pretty sure most things would fall in a $1-$2 range with this theoretical 10%. I would rather keep those games even if I'm never going to play them again.

10%? :lol

They're digital licences that don't degrade in any way whatsoever. The percentage either needs to be far higher, or decrease from 100% based on time since you purchased the game. A 10% flat rate is an insult.
10% is better than nothing at all! Especially for users, aka me, who already buy digital and already get a percentage back through XBL Rewards! I would take it over nothing at all- Microsoft is only losing money on a digital return. And I'll take what I can get.

Salty Hippo

Microsoft is only willing to give me $6 for literally selling them nothing? What an insult!

Underrated post.

I'm astonished at some people here thinking they're entitled to an everlasting 50% discount. Buy game for 60, "sell" something that has no value to anyone for 30 after said game has dropped down to 20 at retail. Makes sense.

tmtyf

Considering I have an insane amount of digital goods on Xbox even if it was 10% I'd probably do it. Better than nothing. They should let you sell back dlc too

Lucifon

10% is pretty poor but currently it's 0% so I guess sure, I would.

Xbox region prices make digital awesome value. I pretty much buy 95% of all my Xbox games digitally now. And more often than not the price and digital benefits mean I buy multiplatforms on Xbox too. Who would have guessed... Well priced digital games makes you buy more games on that platform. Maybe one day they'll catch on.

Replicant

$6 as opposed to the current trade-in price of $impossible everywhere else.
This is a concept that can be worked with or expanded on.

$0 where you get to keep your game sounds much better to me. OR, I buy it boxed and get about at least $20 selling it back.
And it's not like digital game erode or have dirty fingerprints on them.

My issue is that, in Microsoft's eyes, as soon as a game leaves their servers it loses 90% of its value. It's bullshit. If they value digital games so lowly, stop charging retail prices. That would be a start.

MauroNL

So much divide on this, wow. 10% is better then nothing people, they're not twisting your arm on this. Its a decent offer/start but I guess 10% on anything, new or old, is a little harsh. It should be a tad higher for newer titles to make it more enticing.

theWB27

$0 where you get to keep your game sounds much better to me. OR, I buy it boxed and get about $20 selling it back.

You can keep your game boxed too. 0$s.

Why do people HATE options? It's so baffling to me.

People keep saying sell digital cheaper. But if I recall, aren't big retailers one of the biggest forces keeping that from happening rather than just Microsoft saying no?

SOR5

$0 where you get to keep your game sounds much better to me. OR, I buy it boxed and get about $20 selling it back.

Money where I get to expel a game i'd never play or want to keep sounds much better to me and if it's digital-only what then?

Rellik

I don't see this as an insult at all, especially since the current refund price is as a nice £0. I'd take it on games I know I'm never going to play again and use it for a discount on a new game.

Replicant

You still have that but the additional option to sell it back. So how does losing an option sound better to you?

You can keep your game boxed too. 0$s.

Why do people HATE options? It's so baffling to me.

I HATE being taken for a ride. MS is trying to get away with murder, again. Methodically speaking, in case you want to whine about my choice of words..

What you decide here sets precedents for things in the future. That's why they offer you such shit price.

SOR5

I hate being taken for a ride. MS try to get away with murder. You don't realise that what you decide here sets precedents for things in the future. That's why they offer you such shit price.

Theyre getting away with murder by giving you an additional option as a consumer?

Costia

I don't understand the point of this. To take a shot at lowering the used games market maybe? Seems silly.
The point is to ditch the physical retailers and go digital-only in the future. They are trying to figure out what would be an acceptable digital equivalent of the advantages of physical releases.

RowdyReverb

I've got some digital junk I'm never going to reinstall. $6 would be ok tbh. Of course I'd rather have more, but it's not like they can resell my used digital copy

theWB27

I hate being taken for a ride. MS try to get away with murder. You don't realise that what you decide here sets precedents for things in the future. That's why they offer you such shit price.

But you're ok with the ride of being stuck with your digital game for forever because what? It's familiar?

Rembrandt

Banned

Are you implying this is the step to all digital (not the increasing about of people buying digitally with no way to trade titles in) or that they'll eventually force you to sell your titles?

They're currently offering you 0 which is an even worse price.

Replicant

Theyre getting away with murder by giving you an additional option as a consumer?

Yeah, the same option disguised as a way to take away rights from consumer back in early Xbone days. It's amazing how easily people forgive MS for it and not being the least suspicious about this.

SOR5

Yeah, the same option disguised as a way to take away rights from consumer back in early Xbone days. It's amazing how easily people forgive MS for it and not being the least suspicious about this.

You have the same 'right' to your game taken away if you traded it in for cash physically the same way, this isn't some ill 2013 omen.

You bought a game, you can send it back for a lesser price, just like physical copies.

This is how retail works.

Top Bottom