• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Survey: would you sell back your digital games at 10% of purchase price?

10% is a bit low, something like 15/20 would be better.

They should allow for trading and selling on xbox live between users, on a marketplace inside the platform.

If you don't like a newly purchased game there's refund (it should be easy even on Live).

theWB27

You are so easily pleased. MS has every vested interest to see this get off the ground.

Do you think they are doing this out of the goodness of their heart? LEL. Nope. They have something big to gain out of this. Otherwise they wouldn't do it AT ALL. Amongst them: more customers in their ecosystem, potential of re-selling previously used code with discounted prices, and drawing away customers from brick and mortar store. It doesn't seem much at a glance, but all of those executed in succession will result in a lot of cash flow their way.

So you can count me out on taking that pea size offer.

Aren't customers being drawn away from brick and mortar regardless of this? I mean...PC is already there. I don't see the complaint really.

Your other stuff just describes a business trying to get more customers and that's a bad thing now?

MJLord

I wonder what the statistics are on how likely people are to spend money using their store wallet. I know I've made a few DLC and Key purchases from Steam because I had a spare couple quid in my steam wallet.

Having a good trade in system that pays into a store wallet could be a good way for them to get people spending more in the store.

That said a flat 10% is a joke. At least scale it on the age of the game from something like 25%.

Aren't customers being drawn away from brick and mortar regardless of this? I mean...PC is already there. I don't see the complaint really.

Your other stuff just describes a business trying to get more customers and that's a bad thing now?

LEL you don't understand le making monez is le evil lel.

You are so easily pleased. MS has every vested interest to see this get off the ground.

Do you think they are doing this out of the goodness of their heart? LEL. Nope. They have something big to gain out of this. Otherwise they wouldn't do it AT ALL. Amongst them: more customers in their ecosystem, potential of re-selling previously used code with discounted prices, and drawing away customers from brick and mortar store. It doesn't seem much at a glance, but all of those executed in succession will result in a lot of cash flow their way.

So you can count me out on taking that pea size offer.

So it is a win-win then?

Nice try, but 10% is pretty pathetic.

It's better than zero. What kind of reasoning is this?

SOR5

As long as the option remains for you to purchase physical games as you did before, this doesn't encroach on you at all.

This is as 'evil' as Steam letting you refund digital games, you getting a new option alongside the other tried and tested old options does not hurt you. Microsoft are perfectly entitled to instill encouragement in their own store as long as they allow for the option of other stores as well.

GnawtyDog

Banned
eBay system (w/ MS cut - hec even a dev cut - say 10% of sale price, 5% each)....market dictates... otherwise, NO.

Auction or simple Buy it Now w/ $0.99 minimum sale value threshold.

"10%" lmao...

SOR5

There's no option for 'fuck you'? 10% is an insult.

I really really really keep asking for someone in this thread to explain why leaving a game i'd never want to play or keep for $0 is more beneficial than earning a few dollars.

People do know there are examples listed of GS giving you less than $6 for numerous titles, right?

Your argument makes no sense and is irrelevant since in Gamestop's case it's based on supply and demand on a game by game basis.

Even then who cares about gamestop ? There's plenty of other ways to resell a physical games.

notaskwid

I really really really keep asking for someone in this thread to explain why leaving a game i'd never want to play or keep for $0 is more beneficial than earning a few dollars.
What about good discounts instead of giving money to take away the ability to play a game? Refunds like steam?

GnawtyDog

Banned
As opposed to 0 which is greater.

LMAO, not a lot of good business men on neogaf.

Well, I guess that's an issue of the folks going all-in digital. Having to settle for $0 as a result of convenience or a proposed bread crumb of 10%...

A battle was waged at the beginning of this gen. Physical is alive and well. Ex: Bought Bloodborne for $60 on Amazon...found it not to be my thing, 1 week later sold for $45 or so clean after eBay cut.

SOR5

What about good discounts instead of giving money to take away the ability to play a game? Refunds like steam?

I don't get how those two features are contextually relevant or comparable to this.

All you did was list two nice features to have, good digital discounts happen and steam refunds are great but not the same concept.

EDIT: I misinterpreted what you meant by good discounts, those happen with Xbox Live Rewards as well. (depends if you'd call them good or not)

gus-gus

Banned
eBay system (w/ MS cut - hec even a dev cut - say 10% of sale price, 5% each)....market dictates... otherwise, NO.

Auction or simple Buy it Now w/ $0.99 minimum sale value threshold.

"10%" lmao...

uh..I think you described the end of gaming right there. lol

So I understand this is a carrot to get people to switch from physical to digital. But who the hell would do that when you can generally get a lot more from selling a physical copy?

blakep267

Like I really don't get some people. I'm never going to touch titanfall again. Like never. Why is it a bad thing to want o get something for it. I'd even take a penny for it. Looking at it in my ready to install annoys me ( I don't hate the game, I just regret all $60 digital purchases I've made. I don't mind it for smaller games)

How is that insulting? It came out 2 years ago. GS wouldn't give me anything for it really

SOR5

So I understand this is a carrot to get people to switch from physical to digital. But who the hell would do that when you can generally get a lot more from selling a physical copy?

There's a weigh-off of buying digital vs physical altogether, not just trade-in prices.

notaskwid

It makes mo sense to give money to take away one's ability to play a digital game. If it was a trade like system it would at least make some logical sense, not this.
Of course the rebuy fee is low, since they are not really buying anything, they would be paying for terminating access to a digital licence.
Like, what. Put your resources into something worthwhile.

gus-gus

Banned
Well, I guess that's an issue of the folks going all-in digital. Having to settle for $0 as a result of convenience or a proposed bread crumb of 10%...

A battle was waged at the beginning of this gen. Physical is alive and well. Ex: Bought Bloodborne for $60 on Amazon...found it not to be my thing, 1 week later sold for $45 or so clean after eBay cut.

That's ok but what is the issue in having options. I don't get it, stick to physical if it offers more value to you. Why does everyone want to keep the gaming market in this forever non-evolving state.

I prefer digital for the convenience. This would help with my purchases in the future.

Rembrandt

Banned
You know what's worse? Not having the option.

There are games in my library I won't launch ever again after I finish them, better get some money than nothing.

Right? And of course, they could do better by this is something and yes idea will always be worked on more, especially if it phased out if surveys into actual interviews.

I would rather then implement something now then never do it.

Oxirane

Could someone make a pie chart showing how much money Microsoft gets from a digital sale. Then add a slice to show where the money from digital buy backs would possibly come from.

Rellik

Like I really don't get some people. I'm never going to touch titanfall again. Like never. Why is it a bad thing to want o get something for it. I'd even take a penny for it. Looking at it in my ready to install annoys me ( I don't hate the game, I just regret all $60 digital purchases I've made. I don't mind it for smaller games)

How is that insulting? It came out 2 years ago. GS wouldn't give me anything for it really

It's not insulting. Some people would just prefer to not have options, I guess.

jelly

It's not like Microsoft can resell them so 10% is generous.

You can argue money back in your pocket is more money spent on new games but there is no guarantee a publisher/dev will even get the recycled money or gain more sales than usual if they give a little back, for example buying FIFA, COD, AC. What difference would it make to them when the consumer buys it every year anyway. It's lost money.

It's only use would be getting people interested in digital over physical and killing physical used games stone dead but the majority would need to trade in their physical games when value is rock bottom for comparison not I'll get 30 quid for it why on earth would I take 10%.

I'd love for many options to purchasing games.

Subscription based like Netflix, digital rentals, and so on.

Hopefully that won't be too far off.

Sanctuary

No way in hell would I do that. Although I'm the kind of person that would rather hold on to something that I haven't touched in ages for a potential future playthrough, or simply having the ability to let someone else who's never played something play it. Might seem like a waste to hold on to something that you haven't been using for a long time, but then I just see selling something back for this cheap as the most expensive rental ever.

The irony here though is that if Microsoft can give 10% back on digital, they can afford to simply slash 10% off from digital from the start.

GnawtyDog

Banned
That's ok but what is the issue in having options. I don't get it, stick to physical if it offers more value to you. Why does everyone want to keep the gaming market in this forever non-evolving state.

I prefer digital for the convenience. This would help with my purchases in the future.

There is no problem in MS offering that service. Pretty sure the rationale: "something is better than nothing" applies here well. Just saying, to me personally, and the many gamers out there that on consoles that support physical overwhelmingly, that's just plain theft more or less. So someone citing Gamestop and their practices and throwing an equivalency doesn't really move the needle much. Not to mention, Gamestop doesn't have a fixed 10% cut based on initial purchase price - the #1 reason it doesn't exist is due to the nature of physical licenses.

It's a nice bait for sure for those currently in the digital marketplace (to keep) or some currently itching to jump (to add). Convenience is a hell of an incentive.

uh..I think you described the end of gaming right there. lol

Have you ever used eBay? Probably not.

eksy

Banned
The obvious reason they are offering this is to get more people that buy physical to buy digital. Its easy to see from the survey questions (thanks to whoever posted them). Anyone who wheels and deals in physical is rightfully going to laugh at 10% credit. NOBODY is gonna jump to digital from physical for 10% credit. That's the joke - that MS would think it would be enough.

For me to even consider digital there would have to be absolute parity in the way we can exercise our consumer options with physical. Sell, lend, rent, etc. Doubt it will ever happen, and the convenience of not having to swap discs is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

A stronger question to ask MS is why they are so adamant about switching people that buy physical over to digital. Once we get to the motive, all will be crystal clear.

gus-gus

Banned
I think some might be over thinking this right now. 10% I would assume is the starting value since there are no other console manufacturers in the dance yet. If Sony and Nintendo get in on it, then opens up something different. I think some of you are over playing your hand by rejecting this idea.

SOR5

I think people are looking at this in two ways here:

1: I have a digital game that intrinsically serves no monetary value, and intrinsically serves no value to me at all, I would rather that convert itself into some sort of in-store currency than serve zero purpose.

2. 10% is too low, I would rather just keep my games no matter what then be given a small value for them.

Both sides have valid points, however i'm quite adamant that completely rejecting the concept of digital trade-ins is just unnecessary.

theWB27

I wonder what the statistics are on how likely people are to spend money using their store wallet. I know I've made a few DLC and Key purchases from Steam because I had a spare couple quid in my steam wallet.

Having a good trade in system that pays into a store wallet could be a good way for them to get people spending more in the store.

That said a flat 10% is a joke. At least scale it on the age of the game from something like 25%.

LEL you don't understand le making monez is le evil lel.

I think some people really believe that which is scary. How dare these companies try and run a business off my hobby.

Rise against and stop any attempts at these anti anti consumer companies giving me options I didn't have before without taking any of my previous choices away.

The madness!

gus-gus

Banned
There is no problem in MS offering that service. Pretty sure the rationale: "something is better than nothing" applies here well. Just saying, to me personally, and the many gamers out there that on consoles support physical overwhelmingly, that's just plain theft more or less. So someone citing Gamestop and their practices and throwing an equivalency doesn't really move the needle much. Not to mention, Gamestop doesn't have a fixed 10% cut based on initial purchase price.

It's a nice bait for sure for those currently in the digital marketplace or some currently itching to jump. Convenience is a hell of an incentive.

Have you ever used eBay? Probably not.

LOL, I made 29k on ebay about 4 years back. stop your about to embarrass yourself.

The thought of playing a game again, regardless of if I actually do play it again, is worth more than 10% of the price I paid.

No thanks.

Both sides have valid points, however i'm quite adamant that completely rejecting the concept of digital trade-ins is just unnecessary.
Is it people rejecting the idea or rejecting the offer that's on the table? I believe it's the latter.

jelly

How about 10% if you want to spend the money freely and 25% if you invest in the same dev or publisher.

That aside, games should be cheaper initially anyway on the store and go on sale at good discounts. Then people wouldn't really give a shit except complain about a backlog and forget they bought a game already.

GnawtyDog

Banned
LOL, I made 29k on ebay about 4 years back. stop your about to embarrass yourself.

Is that so...please proceed to enlighten anyone here how an auction system or simple buy-it now marketplace (or both) is worse than a proposed fixed bread crumb of 10% (of initial purchase price - with no competition)? Not to mention, "the end of gaming"...

If you scare me more I'll believe you....

Top Bottom