• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox teasing new controller?

sector4

Oh and the triggers dig into my fingers in games where you have to hold them, so only really noticible in racers...

FordGTGuy

Banned
or Chrome and Android.

Hah, yeah I forgot that Google picked up on the hamburger menu craze too.

What? Why? Doesn't it operate through Bluetooth? I'll just keep using my PS4 controller as it just works fine already. I don't appreciate being milked and I don't want more devices when Bluetooth is built in.

No it doesn't use bluetooth, it uses it's own connectivity method that uses less battery life than bluetooth and has more range.

Fox Mulder

Eneloops are sooo good.

Why are people so adamant about internal batteries?

Just look at the awful battery life on the DS4, meanwhile my Xbox One controllers last 50 hours on a pair of eneloops.

I've used the same two pair of rechargable AA's since August and immediately swap when one needs charging. It's great.

Plus the batteries give it a little more weight.

Fuck internal batteries.

FordGTGuy

Banned
among other things, the new/revised controller will add a dedicated 3.5" jack.
the controller support page was supposed to be updated tomorrow (the 28th) but apparently its live now.
the addition of the 3.5" jack is only in reference to controllers released after June 2015.

Get to know your Xbox One Wireless Controller

Hah what a leak.

SRaaboj.png

So they're planning on releasing it the day of their E3 conference. Interesting. Curious to see what other enhancements and improvements it might have.

FordGTGuy

Banned
the controller support page was supposed to be updated tomorrow (the 28th) but apparently its live now.
the addition of the 3.5" jack is only in reference to controllers released after June 2015.

It's too bad you're a junior you deserve the thread OP for that kind of find.

Hope they have volume control on the controller.

Me too, I love the controls being on the controller itself.

malfcn

They should pack in the new audio puck adapter and detachable headset mic. That way you could upgrade out of the box..

UnrealEck

I bought the DS4 for my PC games and although I like it, I have a feeling I'd like the Xbox controller a bit better. I'm interested to see what the revision will be like. Hopefully a built-in battery will be part of it.

Hugstable

Banned
Hmm I just bought an XB1 controller the other day just for Witcher 3 on pc and I'm absolutely in love with it, but now this has me questioning on what to get my money back and wait out a new revision if it's just as good. I love the xb1 controller though, it's feel like a much more quality and well built controller than the 3 DS4's that I've had to deal with.

But will the new controller have the power of the could in it?

you spelled cloud wrong

Headphone jack is the best (new) thing about the DS4. XB1 owners should be really hoping this is true. It's awesome for so many reasons.

Chris1

Nice find, suppose that confirms the rumours then. I find it interesting they didn't bother to add a screenshot button.

Alx

Assassins Creed Unity, and probably FIFA.

Basically the same games as anywhere else. The few people I know IRL with an Xbox are big on COD and Destiny.

I didn't think about a jack port (don't use headsets), but that's a great thing to have.

pswii60

What? Why? Doesn't it operate through Bluetooth? I'll just keep using my PS4 controller as it just works fine already. I don't appreciate being milked and I don't want more devices when Bluetooth is built in.
Lower latency than Bluetooth.

FordGTGuy

Banned
But will the new controller have the power of the could in it?

Actually since the controller has it's own firmware that you can update... it's its own little cloud.

I see someone at Microsoft finally tried out a PS4 controller. 3.5mm jack is a godsend.

If only someone at Sony would use a Xbox One controller and add sound buttons to the bottom of the DS4... and external batteries. :p

sector4

The 360 controller had the jack already (it looks like a proprietary port, but you can plug any headset in the centre hole)
Wasn't that a 2.5" jack rather than the more common 3.5"?
If only someone at Sony would use a Xbox One controller and add sound buttons to the bottom of the DS4... and external batteries. :p
Where are the sound buttons on the XB1 controller? Do you mean on the wired headset adaptor?

FordGTGuy

Banned

Where are the sound buttons on the XB1 controller? Do you mean on the wired headset adaptor?

Of course, the adapter goes hand in hand with the controller and building the buttons into the controllers would make them that much better.

Astrates

I would have though it was just an E3 advert personally.

Edit: Just seen the above link. If that's the only revision I think I'll give it a miss until my current one breaks.

Noricart

I really hope this new controller has a more sturdy micro-usb port. I bought a crappy third-party wired controller because of that.

FordGTGuy

Banned
So they aren't changing anything by that picture, just adding a port?

I hope that is not the case.

That is a general default picture of the current controller, the comment we're focusing on is an addition to the description of a current feature(audio port).

It is unlikely that is a picture of the revision or everything that revision will bring.

sector4

Of course, the adapter goes hand in hand with the controller and building the buttons into the controllers would make them that much better.
Right, but adding in a 3.5" jack at the bottom of the XB1 controller makes that accessory redundant for standard headphone use, and then you're in the same boat as the PS4 controller, no sound buttons on the controller unless they're adding them somewhere as well in this revision?

FordGTGuy

Banned
Right, but adding in a 3.5" jack at the bottom of the XB1 controller makes that accessory redundant for standard headphone use, and then you're in the same boat as the PS4 controller, no sound buttons on the controller unless they're adding them somewhere as well in this revision?

That's what I'm alluding to, I'm saying both the DS4 and Xbox One should adopt built in audio buttons on the actual controllers.

Arklite

I'm actually shocked they're willingly doing away with selling an extra adapter. Too bad I just bought one of these damn controllers.

Alx

To be honest I never really paid attention to the different sizes. :p It may be a 2.5 indeed, since it's a "small" one (*edit : and after reading the description page linked above, the unit seems to be mm ;) ). In that case I wonder if 2.5 isn't better than 3.5, since most people have such headsets for their phones and tablets already, if I'm not mistaken.
Anyway, whatever the size, it's still a more common format than whatever they were using on the current controller, so that's an improvement.

I could see them adding buttons for taking screenshots and video clips. They can also improve on the d-pad, which is better than the 360's, but still not great for fighting games imo.

Top Bottom