• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox teasing new controller?

Eneloops are sooo good.

Why are people so adamant about internal batteries?

Just look at the awful battery life on the DS4, meanwhile my Xbox One controllers last 50 hours on a pair of eneloops.
I honestly don't see why people want internal batteries either, as they lose charge over time too.

Batteries plus wired option > shitty internal batteries.

I hope so! it needs a few changes. nothing massive but I summed some of the issues up here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Mhp_3hB7Y

But its also been prone to build issues, triggers sticking etc. also the fact you can't play wireless to PC when on charge and the whole audio port being a proprietary port.

like i said in the video, its still quite good, better than the 360 but just short

Majine

Banned
I want a heart rate sensor on the back of the controller, where you naturally put your fingers. Then as you're playing, it reads your heart rate and can present a graph in the OS. When you are in a tense moment, it will do some stuff. Record the gameplay, and/or tell XBL friends about it or summin'.

Fat4all

Banned

Not just that, the starter kit (that includes the charging station and multiple battery types) goes on sale all the time.

They are the best rechargeable I've ever bought.

I personally think the bumpers are shit. I love everything else about it though.

Same here. Even when I'm holding the controller "properly" I find them awful.

sector4

Why some people doesn't like Xbox One controller? What's the main problem?
I don't mind the XB1 controller, but I don't particularly love the loose sticks, the rough texture on said sticks (face-offs in NHL are brutal on the thumbs after a while with the new sticks), and I'm not a fan of the bumpers even though I understand how they work. Apart from those two minor niggles it's a great controller.

does anyone find their hands hurt from using it?
Never had it with the 360 but 3 of my friends have noticed after less than an hour playing

Sjefen

I want a heart rate sensor on the back of the controller, where you naturally put your fingers. Then as you're playing, it reads your heart rate and can present a graph in the OS. When you are in a tense moment, it will do some stuff. Record the gameplay, and/or tell XBL friends about it or summin'.

My HDD would be full in one play session :-0

Dryk

Start and select no longer make sense when these buttons don't serve that kind of purpose anymore.

The universally recognised symbols for phones haven't been good representations of phones for 20 years. Computer UIs still operate on the assumption that everyone's familiar with floppy discs and filing cabinets. When the meaning of a word/symbol is that far engrained it's not worth the trouble to fix it just so it makes more sense.

JaggedSac

Dedicated screenshot button, dedicated video button, water spritzer, stress relieving squeeze handles, Xbox button is also a track ball, etc

JaggedSac

They're called Menu and Options. Honestly, doesn't matter what they are called to me. They are both in the same place and perform the exact same functions as Last-Gen. I guess for more casual players it is easier to understand their function then Start and Select/Back.

I believe they are actually View and Menu.

_woLf

Let me swap my current controllers for ones that won't constantly disconnect from my Xbox One. Please, Microsoft.

Hatchtag

Banned
The universally recognised symbols for phones haven't been good representations of phones for 20 years. Computer UIs still operate on the assumption that everyone's familiar with floppy discs and filing cabinets. When the meaning of a word/symbol is that far engrained it's not worth the trouble to fix it just so it makes more sense.

Not to mention it's not like A/B/X/Y have any sort of meaning either. It's up to the devs to decide what they do. They just need to be buttons that are easy to distinguish from the rest of the buttons. Start and Select worked for that because they're ingrained into people, though they could be improved upon. Menu and Options, however, are not an improvement, because neither their symbol nor their name make it easy to distinguish one from the other.

nubbe

eh

Xbone, DS4 and WiiuPro are all prefectrly fine controllers

Never cared for DS3 and 360 D-pad is assssssssssss

They're called Menu and Options. Honestly, doesn't matter what they are called to me. They are both in the same place and perform the exact same functions as Last-Gen. I guess for more casual players it is easier to understand their function then Start and Select/Back.

Actually they are "View" and "Menu".

Start and select no longer make sense when these buttons don't serve that kind of purpose anymore.

You're both wrong. They're clearly called Boxes and Lines.

Eneloops are sooo good.

Why are people so adamant about internal batteries?

Just look at the awful battery life on the DS4, meanwhile my Xbox One controllers last 50 hours on a pair of eneloops.

exactly. my PS4 controller needs to be charged every 2-3 days.

XB1 controller every 3 weeks honestly. And the downtime is seconds as i just throw in another set of eneloops.

Alx

I donno, it's just more confusing, because
1) Menu and options are so damn similar. You always go to the menu to adjust the options. When it's written down in text form, it's hard to remember which is which.
2) The icons on the buttons look too similar, so when you see them, it's hard to remember which is which.
3) There's no growing up with them. Start and Select might arguably be as bad, but they have a history of being that way built into people.

As mentioned above, it's not "options" but "view". That button is meant to toggle display modes (like showing a map or rankings in a game), while menu is self explanatory. Admittedly, display is not the most used, but it seems already more consistent than select or back ever were. And the icons are also following the current standards, everybody knows what the "hamburger" means, since it's now used in almost all apps, devices and even web pages.
I don't think the fact that people grew up with start and select is a good argument in their favour, especially in a field still targeted at younger users, that will have their own things to grow up with. I guess many kids who grew up with an xbox instead of a PS would be just as confused by start/select which neither start nor select anything.

As for a possible tweaking of the controller, I'm mostly fine with the current one. I wouldn't be surprised if they,added a share/recording button and maybe a speaker to follow the competitors. I can't say I miss those, but they're good ideas. An embedded microphone could be appreciated by non kinect users too, but I'm not sure they'd do it.
It would be great to have better PC support too, especially with the coming streaming features, one tha t wouldn't need a usb wire or a dongle, but I'm not even sure that's possible.

npa189

Just give me the wireless puck for the PC already, Sick of the 20ft tether while I play the witcher.

But would a revised X1 pad even be? I really like the way it is now? Still they can never seem to get that D-pad just right...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
maybe Microsoft will actually design a controller that doesn't need batteries in 2015 lol

Why the fuck would anyone want that? Internals are so inconvenient.

You either have to:

- Have 2 controllers out at all times (especially if the battery life sucks like the DS4)
- Wire your WIRELESS controller

Both are shitty necessities with internals.

With 360 and One, I simply swap out the battery pack or batteries for a fresh set. Done. Still wireless and I don't HAVE to have a second controller.

I'll take a revision. Best controller on the market getting better is a great thing.

Will it come in Titanfall flavor? God that thing is sex.

Hmm, don't have any problems with the controller, but it'll be interesting to see what revision or alternatives they put out.

Also, internal batteries are terrible. Dislike the Wii U Gamepad for that reason alone, and it's the huge shortcoming of the the otherwise excellent Dualshock 4. It doesn't affect me as much as it used to as my sessions tend to be as long as the battery charge, but those times they do go down just kill the mood. Room is too big for wires and I shouldn't have to buy multiple controllers for swapping.

External batteries are the best.

Top Bottom